• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sudeki Demo impressions

gunstarhero

So I just got the new OXM demo last night, and played some Sudeki - after going thru it twice, I came away impressed and let down at the same time:

First off, let's get my complaints out of the way:

If it's one thing I hate, it's stiff/jerky animation - and this has it big time. I don't mean the framerate dips, or it's running at a constant 3 fps :p. I mean the charater animations look like what would happen if you animated a Ken and Barbie. Fluid does not apply here.

The other complaint is the art style. At first I read a lot of people were bitchin about it, but from the screen shots I saw, it didn't look THAT bad - not great, but not bad. But after playing the game and seeing some of the environments, I can see what all the complaining is about. The character designs still don't bother me that much - it's a weird mix of anime and western design, whether it works is anyone's opinion. Running around the game and seeing all the clunky design is anohter matter though. The giant dragon statue near the end of the demo is REALLY bad imo. The enemies were uninspired and just supid things here and there like the blocks you push in the puzzle just kinda look "meh".

But this is just personal taste I suppose. I've seen some really cool looking bosses and shat in screenshots, so it looks to be a mixed bag in the design department.

Now on to the good stuff:

The battle system is pretty cool - I love bringing up that menu, slowing down the battle, picking a spell and bringing the battle back up to speed. There is just something about it that works. The combos you can pull off are great as well. And the demo throws A LOT of enemies at you - more then I initially expected. At one time I had about 6-8 enemies surrounding me. Picked a "wide" spell to knock some back, then went into some combos to finish the rest. Good stuff.

I want to play as the girl more before I comment about this, but from what I have played, the girl (who fights with a staff in first person) is not as fun as fighting as one of the third person fighters. But I haven't given it a lot of time, so who knows.

The boss (spider) was pretty cool, if not easy. Music and sound sounded pretty good in 5.1. Graphics are nice and shiny but the jerky animation ruins them a bit for me - makes for great screenshots though :p.

All in all, I think I'm sold on this one. The battle system kinda tipped the scale for me - and the fact that I really like RPG/Action Rpgs. This and ToS should make me happy.

Teddman

gunstarhero said:
I want to play as the girl more before I comment about this, but from what I have played, the girl (who fights with a staff in first person) is not as fun as fighting as one of the third person fighters. But I haven't given it a lot of time, so who knows.
I thought the girl was pretty cool in the E3 demo. She has this magic blast that can level a group of enemies all at once and causes major damage, but it takes like 15 seconds to charge up.

So I'd blast 'em back with the girl, then switch to the guy and chip away at an enemy or two while her staff re-charged, then swap back to the girl and repeat... Very effective tactic. I thought it was pretty fun for the 10-15 minutes I played.

belgurdo

Banned
IgeL said:
Seems like it's really getting a 50/50 love/hate opinions.

More people would probably be pimping it more if the whole game looked like your generic western fantasy title instead of having anime elements. I personally don't give two shits about the art and am intrigued by the gameplay

open_mouth_ said:
Some people just love to hate, if you know what I mean ;)

I think it's got more of the people "desperate to love it" feeling myself because of the need for the Xbox to have more RPG's. KOTOR is great, Morrowind is molasses, FABLE should be awesome, as should Jade Empire, so I think people should not put so much pressure on this game to be great.

IgeL

sonycowboy said:
I think it's got more of the people "desperate to love it" feeling myself because of the need for the Xbox to have more RPG's. KOTOR is great, Morrowind is molasses, FABLE should be awesome, as should Jade Empire, so I think people should not put so much pressure on this game to be great.

There might be some sort of truth in that... But another thing could be that part of the Xbox generation console gamers (i.e. PC gamers who bought Xbox as their first console, i.e. me) have not been exposed to the kind of genre that Sudeki represents. That's probably part of the reason why I liked Sudeki so much. (Another big reason would be that at least the first few hours were very "positive", i.e. bright colours, wonderful mood, shinyhappy stuff. It's an instant way to win my heart as I like shinyhappy stuff.)

And I also agree that Sudeki's got a bad (art) rep already and it probably affects how some indecisive people think about the game. It would be fun to do/read some studies about how forums affect people.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
err, i'm not sure what to think of the demo.
Reminds me too much of dothack without the random dungeons for some reason, although a little better.

With Star Ocean 3, and Tales of Symponia I won't be spending $50 on Sudeki, but i'll pick it up when its 20.

I'm guessing it will get 7's and 8's

siege

Banned
Does anyone know if the demo is a recent build of the game? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was pretty old and alot of the animation had been polished up.

However, I agree about the block pushing stuff. Whoever thought it would be cool to add that shit needs to be fired.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
no idea, the one I played was on the Fable Preorder disc I got from work

IgeL said:
There might be some sort of truth in that... But another thing could be that part of the Xbox generation console gamers (i.e. PC gamers who bought Xbox as their first console, i.e. me) have not been exposed to the kind of genre that Sudeki represents. That's probably part of the reason why I liked Sudeki so much. (Another big reason would be that at least the first few hours were very "positive", i.e. bright colours, wonderful mood, shinyhappy stuff. It's an instant way to win my heart as I like shinyhappy stuff.)

And I also agree that Sudeki's got a bad (art) rep already and it probably affects how some indecisive people think about the game. It would be fun to do/read some studies about how forums affect people.

the reasons why you like Sudeki as much as you do is lame. Get a fucking PS2 (or psone) for that matter.

pilonv1

Wow I NEVER expected some of the responses in this thread. I swear some of you have auto posting programs for some games.

belgurdo

Banned
pilonv1 said:
Wow I NEVER expected some of the responses in this thread. I swear some of you have auto posting programs for some games.

I second that...and the bots will be going into overdrive in two weeks

siege

Banned
I don't get why Sudeki gets so much hate while a game like Dark Cloud 2 is adored. Seriously, everything I've seen from Sudeki suggest that it's a quality action RPG. Aside from the art which is subjective (I thought DC2's was terrible) - what's so bad about it?

pilonv1

There are three important parts for haters of Sudeki -

1. It's only on Xbox
2. It's developed by a Western company (which leads to the next point)
3. The art is heavily influenced by Eastern RPGs, but since it's from a Western developer it's instantly "bad".

Combine them together and it's a hatefest for the ages.

IgeL

TheGreenGiant said:
the reasons why you like Sudeki as much as you do is lame. Get a fucking PS2 (or psone) for that matter.

Dude, I have a PS2 (and a GC for that matter). I just can't be excited about the hundredth sequel for some unknown RPG that has been going on for decades (read: Final Fantasy series). It's much, much easier to get attached to a NEW series/game that requires no background knowledge of anything. I play good games, no matter what the platform - it's just easiest to relate to Xbox and its games because everyone (me) is on the same level regarding background history and knowledge of earlier games. (Or in fact, I know some of the devs from my PC gaming background, so I guess that helps too.)

Also, I just recently asked for good PS2 RPGs that can be completed in under 20 hours (i.e. they wouldn't be too complex or too long) - I got two names, Shadow Hearts and Breath of Fire: DQ (which I ordered immediately from Amazon.co.uk for 9.99 pounds). And BoF seems to be a pretty hard game (stupid save system) from some of the reviews I read, so I might be screwed in that regard, because I hate hard games (frustrating is a better word I guess).

Feel free to suggest some games I might like. Easy to get into, not too complex, not too hard, preferably in a bright setting, and can be completed fairly fast. Sudeki fits that well (dunno about the lenght, though, might be over 20 hours but I can make exceptions).

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'm interested in this game, it seems like good solid fun. While I won't be purchasing it I look foward to a rental.

Oh and the "TEH ART IS BAD" posts are getting mindblowingly tiresome. No I'm not a fan of the art but harping on an issue that has been brought up 40,000 times before isn't the brightest of ideas.

I'd also like to raise a big WTF to the first person view implementation when you're a magic user.

Pachinko

I had to dig this thread up rather then posting my own like so many other folks do. I somewhat enjoyed the demo of it actually.. and I watched a friend play TOS earlier for about an hour as well. They both have the perks it would seem and one of them will likely get a purchase from me when they drop in price .

I reallly can't recommend either game at full price unless you're RPG starved and don't have a PS2 allready. Even in that case... Tales of symphonia seemed decent but really incredibly cliched as far as console RPG's go. Whereas Sudeki was a bit fresh but at the same time lacking in oomph.

Top Bottom