• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Legends Arceus is surprisingly excellent

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’ve just finished this game this afternoon.

What a lovely surprise as someone who hasn’t enjoyed any of the 3DS or mainline Switch games.

The game does a lot of things really well: sound design, map design, battles (finally, a game with lighting fast battling and catching), traversal (really excellent seamless travel on land, sea and even air).

I know just how ugly Game Freak make their games, but I was even surprised by the pastel cell shaded look. It’s not bad at all. Loved exploring a true 3D environment.

In fact the only issue and complaint I have is that the game is too text heavy when in between missions.

In a true 10 scale I’d say this game is easily an 8. Do yourself a favour and play this game.

Sleepwalker

It was OK but I couldn't stomach it past the starting 2-3 hours, just like every other Pokemon game since Black/White 2.

I’ve just finished this game this afternoon.

What a lovely surprise as someone who hasn’t enjoyed any of the 3DS or mainline Switch games.

The game does a lot of things really well: sound design, map design, battles (finally, a game with lighting fast battling and catching), traversal (really excellent seamless travel on land, sea and even air).

I know just how ugly Game Freak make their games, but I was even surprised by the pastel cell shaded look. It’s not bad at all. Loved exploring a true 3D environment.

In fact the only issue and complaint I have is that the game is too text heavy when in between missions.

In a true 10 scale I’d say this game is easily an 8. Do yourself a favour and play this game.
Yea its my favorite modern Pokemon game thus far.

Saber

Gold Member
Couldn't even finished that crap. I honestly question anyone who likes this game...how do you like throwing sacks to beat the bosses? Or getting enemies to throw 2 pokemons at once against 1 one of yours?

The only thing I like in this game is how they handled the open area. Using sectors was such a great idea for Pokemon, I'm honest baffled how they came up with a turd like SV. I could say sleeping to pass time/day too, but for the love of god this is freaking old concept...its just that GF still is in the stone age.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's a hilarious balance of "more innovative than any Pokémon game in the last 15 years, a step in the right direction, and also "a game that feels outdated by about 15 years".

You can see just how good a proper Pokémon game could be when you play Arceus, but because it's Pokémon, it's going to take decades to get to anything resembling that.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Best girl

FN2wKi0WUAkPSBF

desrtlm-99b1f2a0-2335-438e-ba32-62ab2f437657.png

Codes 208

Easily the best Pokemon game I've ever played. I'm not a major fan of the series though. All aspects of catching and fighting are fun. Just feels good to play.
I wouldnt go that far but its definitely the best of the switch (and maybe 3ds) lot. Definitley like a step in the right direction regarding the stagnation set from playing the same thing over and over again. My only real complaint is the lack of VA and how ugly it can be (but tbf, its still a step up from SV)
Best girl

FN2wKi0WUAkPSBF

desrtlm-99b1f2a0-2335-438e-ba32-62ab2f437657.png
Also this

Hudo

I think Arceus was a proof-of-concept thing to test the waters for the next real mainline Pokemon game. That would also explain why they've release those shitty remakes of Diamond and Pearl alongside Legends. To "lessen the blow" if Legends failed.

Roufianos

I really enjoyed it it. Felt like a solid foundation for the series going forward. Tech is obviously far superior to Violet but that's not saying much.

daclynk

yes.i believe its the Mario 64 type evolution Pokemon IP really needed. its too bad Gamefreak didn't do much in violet and scarlet versions. I really hope Pokemon gets s BOTW types evolution on their NEXT GEN console.

Top Bottom