• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

I had to choose two books for Summer Reading (One was required, tho) for AP English III. The required book is East of Eden; the book that I choose (from a list of selections) was The Accidental Tourist. I'm wondering if anyone here has read (one of) these books and was wondering if they're good reads.

White Man

You kids should read:

Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West
0679728759-resized200.jpg

Well, Red Dead Revolver is selling swimmingly, and kids these days love A Clockwork Orange. . .so let's combine the two. In Blood Meridian, author Cormac McCarthy presents an atmospheric and depraved study of violence (culturally, socially, and historically) set within the context of a classic Western. This book probably isn't for the squeamish. McCarthy's style is very visual, and meticulously detailed. I've literally had nightmares inspired by this book.

More people need to read it. It's A-list fiction that I don't have to worry about turning up on Oprah.

I just finished this for the second time, and I've had a between book snack with some of Kafka's letters. Tomorrow, I'm going to tackle Nikolai Gogol, hardcore. The next couple days, I'm diving into the short stories. Then the existing parts of Dead Souls, and then the few letters. I really want to crack inside Gogol's head because he's a major influence to a bunch of my favorites (Kafka, Borges, Nabokov, and ol' Dostie).

Volt

Coincidentally I've been planning to read some Gogol myself :)
But first I still need to finish both "House of Leaves" and Haruki Murakami's excellent "A Wild Sheep Chase". More planned summer reading for me : "Lila" by Robert M. Pirsig, more Murakami !, "Ficciones" by Borges and maybe finally "White Noise" by Don DeLilo..

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Sex, war, politics, sex, cowardice, treachery, sex, adventure, empire, and sex.
flashman.jpg

The Flashman series, by George MacDonald Fraser.

haggard_montezuma.jpg

Just started it.
A story of revenge and love!

Parents get killed by punk ass mofo, then their son goes half way around the world to kill him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom