• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the consensus on The Hobbit trilogy these days?

Fuz

Banned
tenor.gif

Drake

I remember a buddy and I went to see the third Hobbit movie in theaters. We grabbed a bite to eat and had a few beers beforehand. The third movie was so "good" I ended up sleeping through about half of it at the theater. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Granted, the beers had a lot to do with that.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I didn't care for it. And I say this as a massive Hobbit fan, having read it probably 10 times before I turned 13, and even have a custom made replica of Bilbo's pipe.

I thought the casting of Bilbo and the dwarves was excellent. The first movie started out well, but as soon as they encounter their first obstacle (the trolls) it becomes some kind of bizarre and rambunctious circus affair, and each fight in the trilogy afterwards gets even sillier.

Radagast was done wrong, Seriously. Like WTF.

I'll say Smaug was impressive. Casting Cumberbatch to do the voice was a great choice and they almost - almost - captured how powerful and evil Tolkien intended him to be, but that gold pouring scene and all (again, silly circus fights) kind of ruined it.

2/5 for me.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
First one was okay. Others sucked. Should have been one movie.

The people who like it are the ones that always watch the extended cuts of all three LOTR movies because they just want MORE rather than something actually thoughtfully constructed.

Laptop1991

I thought they were good considering it was a kids book and wasn't that long, you can't really compare it to The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit is far better than The Rings of Power anyway, but then again, that's not hard to do!.

Last edited:

JCK75

My personal opinion is that it's not nearly as good as the original trilogy, It's bloated and imperfect... But I still enjoyed it

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
It felt padded. That was the worst part. The whole thing felt like a cash grab. MAYBE they could have justified 2 movies if done extremely well, instead we got 3 average to terrible ones.

Also I am currently reading my son The Hobbit. We just got to Smaug.

Last edited:

Slouchy

Neo Member
I'd be curious about what an extremely young zoomer thinks of The Hobbit. That is, does knowing it was a shameless cash grab taint the experience of watching it or does it legit suck as much as I think.

TVexperto

While the LOTR trilogy had us in awe with its epic storytelling and practical effects, The Hobbit left us scratching our heads. CGI orcs just couldn't match the bone-chilling presence of those real orc props. It's like swapping Sting for a foam noodle. But hey, Middle-earth is a wild ride, and opinions are as diverse as hobbits' second breakfast choices!

Hugare

Only watched the first one, and kinda hated it

Everyone saying that the first one was "the good one" is not making me any less unexcited to watch the other two

Only the 1st was good while the rest were meh (2nd) and :messenger_poop: (3rd)
That's what you get when you try to stretch a book into a trilogy
Of course RoP made them all look good

kondorBonk

Tired to watch them for the second time since release recently.
Same thing happened again. Lost interest and never started the third film. Second movie was just way too stretched out. First one is fun enough.

Fbh

Oh also her character was completely unnecessary and the love story was silly but I do think Kate from Lost looked cute as an Elf

46ffede2a530e67a927b89bb3031b0f3_xbhs.jpg

Griffon

It was a potentially good duology that got butchered into a shitty trilogy at the last minute.

I still dream of seeing the original Peter Jackson cuts before the studio-mandated reshoots.

Last edited:
Top Bottom