• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sumo Group (Sumo Digital/Secret Mode) is restructuring and laying off 15% of staff across the group in Canada, UK, Poland, Czech Republic and India

Some more info/context via GIBiz:

Sumo Group has announced it is seeking to cut costs with up to 15%, or nearly 250, of its employees at risk.

The firm says it hasn't been immune to the challenges facing the games industry and needs to reshape its organisation to 'navigate upcoming challenges'.

The company is best known for its work-for-hire and co-development services, and has built games for the likes of PlayStation, Microsoft and Sega. It also has an indie publishing team called Secret Mode. The firm has offices across Europe, India and Canada.

It was acquired by Tencent in a $1.27 million deal in January 2022.
The firm said in a statement: "Every day the incredibly talented people across Sumo studios are dedicated to creating great games and bringing ground-breaking experiences to players worldwide. That work and dedication over the past 21 years has helped to put Sumo on the map and build a family of studios that are second to none, and we are incredibly proud of what Sumo has become.

"Whilst Sumo has been able to manage through many of the recent difficulties the games industry has faced, we have not been immune and reshaping operations across the business to better navigate the upcoming challenges expected in the coming months is a path we must now take to ensure the security of the business going forward.
"The difficult decision to reduce our costs across the business in a number of ways is a direct result of these challenges, and unfortunately will include a reduction in the number of people the business can support. Every alternate route to limit the impact to our people is being considered but sadly this process of transformation will affect up to 15% of our people across the Group in Canada, UK, Poland, Czech Republic and India.

"This is an incredibly challenging process to go through for everyone at Sumo and our focus is now on supporting our people and working with our partners on their games as we move forward to ensure we emerge from this difficult time, ready for the future."

Sumo Group has developed games including the BAFTA-winning Sackboy: A Big Adventure and Crackdown 3, and supported the development of games such as Team Sonic Racing, Forza Horizon and Hogwarts Legacy. It also develops its own internal projects, including Snake Pass and the upcoming Still Wakes The Deep.

Last edited:
Contraction of the economy continues, the grunts getting the boot to maintain the bottom line.

I think we've already crossed total gaming industry layoffs of 2023, this year.
Damn, we're barely halfway through the year. Same applies to the tech sector I hear. Rough times ahead.

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF by The Taboo Group

Naked Lunch

Every time I see the name 'Sumo Digital' - I think of the Outrun 2 port in the early 2000s.

How about porting Outrun 2 to modern consoles - and keeping all those people employed with the massive bank you would make.

I'm not familar with Sumo, what games/ franchises do they make/ publish?

Edit: Looks like a lot of co-development and port making. Interesting. Surprised someone doesn't scoop them up.

Last edited:
More info/context via GIBiz which will be added to the OP:

Sumo Group has announced it is seeking to cut costs with up to 15%, or nearly 250, of its employees at risk.

The firm says it hasn't been immune to the challenges facing the games industry and needs to reshape its organisation to 'navigate upcoming challenges'.

The company is best known for its work-for-hire and co-development services, and has built games for the likes of PlayStation, Microsoft and Sega. It also has an indie publishing team called Secret Mode. The firm has offices across Europe, India and Canada.

It was acquired by Tencent in a $1.27 million deal in January 2022.
The firm said in a statement: "Every day the incredibly talented people across Sumo studios are dedicated to creating great games and bringing ground-breaking experiences to players worldwide. That work and dedication over the past 21 years has helped to put Sumo on the map and build a family of studios that are second to none, and we are incredibly proud of what Sumo has become.

"Whilst Sumo has been able to manage through many of the recent difficulties the games industry has faced, we have not been immune and reshaping operations across the business to better navigate the upcoming challenges expected in the coming months is a path we must now take to ensure the security of the business going forward.
"The difficult decision to reduce our costs across the business in a number of ways is a direct result of these challenges, and unfortunately will include a reduction in the number of people the business can support. Every alternate route to limit the impact to our people is being considered but sadly this process of transformation will affect up to 15% of our people across the Group in Canada, UK, Poland, Czech Republic and India.

"This is an incredibly challenging process to go through for everyone at Sumo and our focus is now on supporting our people and working with our partners on their games as we move forward to ensure we emerge from this difficult time, ready for the future."

Sumo Group has developed games including the BAFTA-winning Sackboy: A Big Adventure and Crackdown 3, and supported the development of games such as Team Sonic Racing, Forza Horizon and Hogwarts Legacy. It also develops its own internal projects, including Snake Pass and the upcoming Still Wakes The Deep.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Every time I see the name 'Sumo Digital' - I think of the Outrun 2 port in the early 2000s.

How about porting Outrun 2 to modern consoles - and keeping all those people employed with the massive bank you would make.
Licencing gets in the way of any sort of Outrun resurrection unfortunately i think.

Naked Lunch

Licencing gets in the way of any sort of Outrun resurrection unfortunately i think.
Yep - licensing likely the culprit for the many many years of no ports or new iterations of the franchise. Total bummer.

Just trying to make a silly joke of a really crappy situation.

Top Bottom