• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario and Lego Collaboration Happening

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Took'em long enough. Now bring on the sets. I want Bowser's castle and everything else.

g7-13KPQMPjCfCftArNdhLoKYtXW5DZREeMzIpnT4P3uYmMpFGs4kidl-RNehCuaNP7cixHTLKem560UEMKYaeuzuqxpwOP-2SLStHyb0ccnwsQSwRay2mHGT6qHLW0tV0VakAm90wqs1FbQ8H60GQ

Doom85

Ok now Zelda :D

Metroid, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, Kirby, Donkey Kong Country, Star Fox, OH FUCK these assholes could bankrupt me if they play their cards right!

Seriously though, hopefully they utilize it better than LEGO did with Disney. Just princess movie sets and a few Toy Story ones, that's it? I mean, not hating on those, I actually got Elsa's Castle because I legit love Frozen, but how the fuck did Zootopia and Wreck-it-Ralph not get sets?

Not the Lego reimagining I was thinking they'd go for. Looks more like Duplo play pieces.

Haha, the screens and interactivity are mad though. Good stuff.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
The fact that there is Nintendo/Lego ANYTHING blows my mind and makes me super happy. What they are doing isn't what I would have wanted or expected, but in its own way it's cool that they are trying to do something unique that plays on Mario being all about video games.

Seems the Mario figure is electronic and they are probably using NFC chips or the like. I can't see how it would translate to any actual game or objective though. Just the novelty of hearing the coin sound while jumping around Mario I guess?

The precedent it sets for Lego and Nintendo working together is huge, though. Hopefully this begins a path that results in a Hyrule Castle set on the scale of the Disney castle they put out a while ago.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Not... what I expected. Damn it! And I can see all these sets combined cost half a garage.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Still interested but it looks really low effort, that whole thing looks like somebody made it themselves? I was expecting big large sets, mushroom kingdom, castles. This just looks like really badly made goombas and a basic boring green and brown brick...?

Weird... At least the sonic lego from dimensions was top tier.

Meesh

I can't help it, but whenever there's a Mario "something" released my first immediate reaction is why isn't it Zelda.

Zelda Lego.

Like, why not? The landscapes, dungeons, characters... the whole thing is begging to be built or crafted.

tenor.gif

I like the simplicity of the sets and the Mario figure. Guessing they'll add more characters down the line (seems like an easy way to make an extra ~$15 a pop) and I hope they include some larger sets with more pieces. The set shown off looks more like a world map.

Follow LEGO Minecraft's example, Nintendo.

Hmmm. Not sure about this. The game aspect of it looks...weird. How many times is my kid going to go through that? Once? There’s no challenge to it. You’re just moving Mario through a level and triggering enemies yourself. And as a model it’s not great either.

might get as a collector’s piece but as a toy it looks a bit poo

jts

...hate me...
If they did Minifigure packs of Mushroom Kingdom characters I'd actually give a fuck.
That’s very basic, and it’s probably going to happen too.

Gonna be annoying going to feel the bags with the virus scare going on.

wondermega

Surprised that there isn't more chatter about this. I think it is super cool, for various reasons - it's apparently not aiming to be "just another IP tie-in" but rather a different and new way to play, and given the players involved, it will hopefully provide ample opportunity for kids to be creative and inventive with what their Mario "levels" and rules could be. I love how it's taking some elements of the traditional 2D gameplay and bringing them into a Lego "level" that people can build, hopefully however they like.

Mario Maker is obviously a pretty successful project and has proven that players are still interested in the classic gameplay tropes, as well as having the ability to actually build things with them - let's see how much replayability these sets can provide.

Lastly, as an AR developer I'm spending a lot of time thinking about things like "how can a traditional platformer make sense/be fun in a real 3D/spatial sense? What are good interaction paradigms, not only for playing it, but also design creation tools?" It's really interesting to see this take on such issues. Looking forward to seeing what it turns into!

And following that, of course, the Lego of Zelda.

jts

...hate me...
I put a preorder within one hour of getting the preorder email from LEGO and even though it went through, I got a second email a few minutes later telling that I’ll have to wait longer because there’s no more launch stock lol. No worries of course, but it’s still interesting, especially as it only comes out in August. Lego and Nintendo gonna make bank.

Windows-PC

Banned
I pre ordered the first Super Mario Starter Pack yesterday, can't wait to get this in my hands for my collection :)

Top Bottom