• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Prototype Found & Released

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

There's links to the website but I'm not going to post them here as I'm uncertain about the legality of it. If the mods/admins are cool with it, I'll happily add. If not, a quick google search should help.

Some details from the group:
Differences
  • The sign at Yoshi’s House has different shading and lettering.
  • Text box font is much slimmer than the retail version.
  • Numerous script differences.
  • Donut Plains 2, Donut Secret House, and “Funky” match the Japanese version.
  • Star Road stages lead to the various test stages.
  • Mario will not die upon the timer running out.
  • Various debugging features are enabled.
  • In the staff roll, Boo Buddies and Big Boo are referred to as Boo Diddly and Boo Jackson.
  • Font graphics from an early version of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past can be found.
Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot

Debug Features

Being a localization prototype, many debugging options are available, making going through the game a breeze! You’ll instantly notice that Mario is able to walk to any point of the map without completing the previous stage. If this isn’t powerful enough, pressing both Start + Select whilst in a stage will cause it to become instantly completed instead of just exiting the stage.

Dying in a stage is also virtually impossible, as holding up on the control pad and pressing select will cycle through Mario’s various power-up states. Switching to the cape power-up and holding the L and A button will allow the player to fly as long as they want, with another press leading to complete control over Mario’s movement anywhere on the screen.

The last debug feature we were able to notice relates to the castle ending screens. Pressing both the L and R buttons during it will replay the scene, and pressing both L + R and up on the control pad will view the cutscene for the next castle.

Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot

Top Bottom