• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Monkey Ball new title still in development

scola said:
why would they put SMB3 on PS2 only? that would be weird.

*SEGA*

oh yeah

It'll probably have more to do with Sammy than anything if it isn't on the GC as Sammy pretty much doesn't support the GC at all.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It'll probably have more to do with Sammy than anything if it isn't on the GC as Sammy pretty much doesn't support the GC at all.
They released a GC keyboard. :/

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
SolidSnakex said:
While I understand this, the first and second have a failry dedicated fanbase already established.

I am not arguing that it shouldn't go to PS2 as well, really the more Monkeyball the better, but not putting it on gamecube seems a bit shortsited (if ever there where a case for that :p).

I would buy a SMB3 on any system it was exlcusive to, but if there where multiplatform options I would choose the GC over PS2 because of the built in 4player support and the feel of the analog stick on the GC pad which I prefer.

scola said:
While I understand this, the first and second have a failry dedicated fanbase already established.

I am not arguing that it shouldn't go to PS2 as well, really the more Monkeyball the better, but not putting it on gamecube seems a bit shortsited (if ever there where a case for that :p).

I would buy a SMB3 on any system it was exlcusive to, but if there where multiplatform options I would choose the GC over PS2 because of the built in 4player support and the feel of the analog stick on the GC pad which I prefer.

Yah I understand the fanbase being there for the GC. But this is Sammy and like I said, they aren't exactly the biggest GC fans. I'm not sure they'd block Sega from putting it on the GC if they wanted to. With how serious they're about making Sega turn profit I doubt they'd block them but you never know.

As for it being multiplatform, i'd probably go with the PS2 version since it'd almost certainly have online support.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
SolidSnakex said:
As for it being multiplatform, i'd probably go with the PS2 version since it'd almost certainly have online support.
Heh, I forgot about possible online support.

I guess I could picture myself buying two copies, one for me and my friends, one for online :) I like monkey ball that much.

but isn't the gc controller the one with the best control/feel? The PS2 has a large dead zone, no?

Am I the only person who thought that SMB was way overhyped? Fun but not great. about a 1/1/2 week loving period and then I got bored. Didn't buy the sequel.

Hero

TheGreenGiant said:
but isn't the gc controller the one with the best control/feel? The PS2 has a large dead zone, no?

Am I the only person who thought that SMB was way overhyped? Fun but not great. about a 1/1/2 week loving period and then I got bored. Didn't buy the sequel.

You, sir, have no soul.

jarrod

Banned
I don't see why potential online support wouldn't be in both games? After all, Sega's the one 3rd party who releases online content on GameCube. Nagoshi even said he'd have put network play in F-Zero GX if Nintendo had let him iirc... Sega's got the network infastructure, established audience and creator ambition so I don't see why a potential multiplatform Super Monkey Ball 3 would be online for PS2 and not GC?

jarrod said:
I don't see why potential online support wouldn't be in both games? After all, Sega's the one 3rd party who releases online content on GameCube. Nagoshi even said he'd have put network play in F-Zero GX if Nintendo had let him iirc... Sega's got the network infastructure, established audience and creator ambition so I don't see why a potential multiplatform Super Monkey Ball 3 would be online for PS2 and not GC?

Sammy. While the GC is a viable market to sell SMB, it's not in any way a viable online market.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Those bastards better make a Super Monkey Ball DS. The console is screaming for it. Literally. I heard it just the other day. Quite chilling, actually.

etiolate

Banned

SMB3 already had been mentioned with online/LAN support for cube and there is no way in hell I am playing Super Monkey Ball on the Dual Shock 2 stick.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Sammy. While the GC is a viable market to sell SMB, it's not in any way a viable online market.
Nagoshi. If he wants it... it'll probably happen. And I'd say with 500k in PSO sales and almost 1.5 million for SMB1-2 he'd have all the justification Sammy would need.

jarrod said:
Nagoshi. If he wants it... it'll probably happen. And I'd say with 500k in PSO sales and almost 1.5 million for SMB1-2 he'd have all the justification Sammy would need.

How many of those PSO'ers are online though? Not the total number of online for every game, just the total number for the GC? Big difference between total sales for the game and actual people playing online. PSO isn't FFXI where the only way you can even play the game is if you're online.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
How many of those PSO'ers are online though? Not the total number of online for every game, just the total number for the GC? Big difference between total sales for the game and actual people playing online. PSO isn't FFXI where the only way you can even play the game is if you're online.
The only figure I remember was an estimation of around 300k at it's peak for GC alone, though more of the 500k have likely played online (just at different times). Still better than the majority of online games actually and that was for a paying game.

Top Bottom