• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Nintendo vs. Nintendo 64: Which console was golden age Rare at its best?

Which golden age Rare was better?

• SNES Rare

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • N64 Rare

Votes: 140 75.7%

• Total voters

daTRUballin

When people talk about Rare's glory days, they usually refer to the SNES and N64 era when Rare was consistently pumping out all-time classics. I was curious to see which console most would pick as the one Rare made better games on. Here's the entirety of their output on both consoles......

SNES Rare
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs (1993)
Battletoads & Double Dragon (1993)
Donkey Kong Country (1994)
Killer Instinct (1995)
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (1995)
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run (1996)
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (1996)

VS.

N64 Rare
Killer Instinct Gold (1996)
Blast Corps (1997)
GoldenEye 007 (1997)
Diddy Kong Racing (1997)
Banjo-Kazooie (1998)
Jet Force Gemini (1999)
Donkey Kong 64 (1999)
Perfect Dark (2000)
Mickey's Speedway USA (2000)
Banjo-Tooie (2000)
Conker's Bad Fur Day (2001)

You don't often see many debates between these two eras and I'm guessing that's because the N64 era is the one people prop up the most. Understandably so! Their output on that console was absolutely insane, but I feel like when you include their pre-DKC games on the SNES, it's more of a fair fight. 7 games vs. 11 games. And it's not like they didn't make some bangers on the SNES as well. After all, the success they enjoyed on the SNES is why they were able to grow into such a powerhouse on the N64 in the first place.

So.......which period from Rare's golden age would you personally pick?

daTRUballin

SNES just for the Donkey Kong Country trilogy. I never cared that much for the rest of their output, but it's sad to see them in their current state.
Ehhh. They're the most successful they've ever been right now, so it's not like they're in some sort of trouble or sorry state.

The only bad thing about them these days is how incredibly low their output is. That's the thing that bugs me.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The only bad thing about them these days is how incredibly low their output is. That's the thing that bugs me.
The thing about GaaS is that it's super easy to fall into a state of complacency and just spend your time making nothing but updates and content for one game... the same trap that Valve and Epic fell into, seems to have enraptured Rare as well

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The SNES era had the better games (ie: the DKC trilogy), but the N64 had the more important games (Goldeneye, primarily). The SNES stuff has unsurprisingly aged way better, but I'd say the N64 was probably the golden age for Rare just given how many games they had and how big they tended to be. That was when seeing the Rare logo before a game meant something.

That said, that era was also them at their collect-a-thon worst.

Last edited:

Sojiro

Had to go with N64 and it's not that close imo. Don't get me me wrong, the DKC trilogy are fucking top notch on the SNES, and their earlier games are all good, but their N64 output is when I felt like Rare was firing at their best. While the DKC trilogy were their 3 top tier games on the SNES, with the others a step down, the N64 has like 5 of those games at the same level imo. Special shout-out to Ken Griffey Jr's winning run, it is a solid ass baseball game that just needed player licenses for it to be one of my fave baseball games ever.

Last edited:

daTRUballin

The thing about GaaS is that it's super easy to fall into a state of complacency and just spend your time making nothing but updates and content for one game... the same trap that Valve and Epic fell into, seems to have enraptured Rare as well
To be fair, they ARE working on Everwild supposedly, but it's been 4 years since we've seen that game at all. If they don't show it at this year's "E3", I'm kinda done with Rare.

Scotty W

Gold Member
When people talk about Rare's glory days, they usually refer to the SNES and N64 era when Rare was consistently pumping out all-time classics. I was curious to see which console most would pick as the one Rare made better games on. Here's the entirety of their output on both consoles......

SNES Rare
Killer Instinct (1995)

VS.

N64 Rare
Blast Corps (1997)
GoldenEye 007 (1997)
Diddy Kong Racing (1997)
Banjo-Kazooie (1998)
Jet Force Gemini (1999)
Donkey Kong 64 (1999)
Perfect Dark (2000)
Banjo-Tooie (2000)

You don't often see many debates between these two eras and I'm guessing that's because the N64 era is the one people prop up the most. Understandably so! Their output on that console was absolutely insane, but I feel like when you include their pre-DKC games on the SNES, it's more of a fair fight. 7 games vs. 11 games. And it's not like they didn't make some bangers on the SNES as well. After all, the success they enjoyed on the SNES is why they were able to grow into such a powerhouse on the N64 in the first place.

A lot of these games have the potential to be great. Banjo, Blast Corps, Jet Force, DKC64, but there is something just simply broken at the planning stage, which leads them to fall short of greatness.

lordrand11

SNES Rare
Killer Instinct (1995)

VS.

N64 Rare
Blast Corps (1997)
GoldenEye 007 (1997)
Diddy Kong Racing (1997)
Banjo-Kazooie (1998)
Jet Force Gemini (1999)
Donkey Kong 64 (1999)
Perfect Dark (2000)
Banjo-Tooie (2000)

SNES and NES were the start, but N64 killed it with all the software they made for the console.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Blast Corps means N64 is automatic vote.

It should be criminal how wasted the studio became after the N64. Rares squandering might be the single greatest waste of talent ever seen in the game industry in its entire history.

Matsuchezz

I loved the Rare outout on the N64, I played all the games they released on the console, I only wish they would have released Dinosaur Planet in their original form than Star Fox adventures. The SF universe sucks imho.
I had a blast with Banjo Kazooie, Blastcorps, Jet Force Gemini, Conquer, Golden Eye, PD. DK64 was not that much fun to be honest. But the rest were really cool games.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
N64 for me. Man look at that release window. Bangers year upon year. I remember waiting for Perfect Dark and Banjo Tooie felt like ages lol.

I don't care much about Rare, but I probably actually got more out of them in the SNES era, and SNES > N64 in general. And Goldeneye was bad. Blast Corps looked fun but I don't think I ever actually got to play it.

nkarafo

N64 by far. They were the most important studio after Nintendo themselves during that time. And they released many important games, on the SNES it was only about Donkey Kong Country and nothing else.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The people have spoken, and they speak wisely. Of course it's N64. DKC pales in comparison to what they were doing on N64. If it wasn't for Nintendo's own output, the console would have been theirs.

But either way, they stood out. Grant Kirkhope's work blessing our ears is great wherever it happens.

daTRUballin

N64 by far. They were the most important studio after Nintendo themselves during that time. And they released many important games, on the SNES it was only about Donkey Kong Country and nothing else.
Killer Instinct is sitting somewhere in a corner crying right now......

nkarafo

The people have spoken, and they speak wisely. Of course it's N64. DKC pales in comparison to what they were doing on N64. If it wasn't for Nintendo's own output, the console would have been theirs.

But either way, they stood out. Grant Kirkhope's work blessing our ears is great wherever it happens.
I would argue that David Wise's soundtrack in DKC2 is above everything else. But still, not enough to outshine RARE's output during the N64 days.

Killer Instinct is sitting somewhere in a corner crying right now......
Killer Instinct was... fine. A massively downgraded arcade port and i would argue not as good as the Streetfighers or the Mortal Kombats of the era. I could say the same for Killer Instinct Gold on the N64.

Last edited:

nkarafo

And Goldeneye was bad
Ah yes, the game that broke the "Doom clone" era, elevated the FPS genre for consoles and introduced many things we take for granted now (dual analog controls, body part depended damage and head-shots) and standardized others (non-linear mission objectives, sniper rifles), carried the N64 sales during 1997, got copied by many others during the late 90's and it still has an active community and has been one of the most popular speed run entries of all time is... bad.

Sure Jan.

Chastten

Banned
N64 for sure. Played the hell out of Diddy Kong Racing, GoldenEye and Jet Force Gemini during that era and Conker's Bad Fur Day was a great farewell.

Variahunter

N64.
I love DKC2 and I prefer the first KI.

BUT

Diddy Kong Racing was so good
Banjo Kazooie
Goldeneye
Conker
Even DK64 with its flaws is still good

But their best game hands down for me is Jet Force Gemini. Literally the (almost) Metroid 3D third person of the era. Incredible music, good gameplay, great graphics for the time, good level design with platforming and lot of secrets. It honestly deserve a real remake with modern controls because the button layout is only for N64 and feels weird on other consoles.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
what a run I wish microsoft never purchased Rare smh like studios get soft or lose their edge when they stop being independent or something i don't know what it is

Last edited:

GymWolf

Snes by a landslide personally, dk2 and ki are some of my favourite games ever.

Last edited:
DKC was unbelievable on SNES, but I generally liked 2d platformers not much (maybe more today), so personally I would say Goldeneye, PD, Jet Force, Blast Corps.

Sad, that devs were able to release such variety (and sequel) in the past within one gen and now we have studios that release one or two games per gen, while having a much bigger workforce plus also support studios and we don't even get much improvement beyond visuals most people don't value as much as Digital Foundry.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Even if most of those games are a lot less impressive in retrospect (Conker is a pretty clunky game and ultimately worth it for the attitude alone), the thing is, Rare as a house name was unknown to many before DKC. Sure, DKC half-necromanced a decaying SNES just when the 32-bit gen was kicking off, and DKC2 is a game for the ages.

But. Rare literally kept the N64 afloat, together with those precious few masterpieces from Nintendo themselves. And Goldeneye is single-handedly responsible for the system getting and maintaining a foothold in the market, coming one year after SM64 and one before Ocarina of Time. Banjo-Kazooie is possibly still the best collectathon 3D platformer that isn’t SM64. Their game design genius really only came out of the bottle around 1994, and did its best work between then and Y2K.

I've never been the biggest fan of Rare. They've made some good games but I think they were a bit overrated. They did create Goldeneye and Perfect Dark though and they're legendary. That counts for something.

keefged4

The Rare tiles on the N64 are what made the system the GOAT for me. N64 beats out the Snes library easily. Perfect Dark is probably my most played game ever.

I'd say SNES from a technological standpoint and N64 just for the games themselves.

Seeing KI or DKC on snes was mindblowing for the time!

N64...

EmMK94.gif

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I always found the DKC series to be overrated. Technically impressive in the amount of animation and depth of color, but with ugly characters and art and generic gameplay.

I guess some of that applies to their N64 games as well but at least we have Conker and Jet Force Gemini.

Rare's best era might be before the Nintendo acquisition.

I wanted to vote for SNES out of complete unrelated spite towards the Nintendo 64 controller...

But yeah, it's 64.
They had more games there to show how great they were.

They did in the SNES era just as well, but it didn't have the quantity.

Top Bottom