• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superman PS1 - Cancelled Game

The Shepard

The Superman game on ps5/xbox sx has got the easiest job ever of being the best Superman game ever when this, the xbox 360 super man returns and Superman 64 being the competition.

Last edited:
I don't know why Sony/Insomniac had any interest in Spider-Man when they could have just ported this. :p

Side note - The PS2 Superman Returns wasn't great, but it was mildly fun flying around.

MrA

The Superman game on ps5/xbox sx has got the easiest job ever of being the best Superman game ever when this, the xbox 360 super man returns and Superman 64 being the competition.
the competition is the atari 2600 game
s_Superman_1.png

this has been the best superman game for 40 years... how many good spider-man games have we gotten in that time 20?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
looks better than the 64 release, but that's like saying losing $5 to a hole in your pocket is better than losing $10 to a hole in your pocket.

Graphic wise I don't really think it does. Gameplay wise they look equally bad though, while 64 is a more polished turd.

Dazrael

Why does Superman need an oxygen tank to breathe underwater, I thought he could survive in the vacuum of space?

There goes the impression of him being Deus Ex Machina Man out of the window. This game broke new ground.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
SeveralGregariousBrocketdeer-size_restricted.gif

What about Dragon Ball Z games? They're okay at flying, so I think there might be a Super-Man game in the future.

tenor.gif

TacosNSalsa

Why does Superman need an oxygen tank to breathe underwater, I thought he could survive in the vacuum of space?

There goes the impression of him being Deus Ex Machina Man out of the window. This game broke new ground.
Earlier Superman believed he had to breathe and eat because he was raised by and as a human and just naturally did it . I think they retconned it by saying he gets all his nourishment from the sun and he can store a limitless amount of it at this point but he still does eat sleep and breathe because he likes to not because he has to

Last edited:
Man, it’s hard to look worse than the 64 dumper fire of a Superman game

I really hope we get a good Superman game one day, I firmly believe it can be done, especially with next gen hardware

JordanN

Banned
It's not that bad. It would have made an ok rental back then.

The only major gripes is the enemies take way too many hits and the wonky camera.

MrA

Graphic wise I don't really think it does. Gameplay wise they look equally bad though, while 64 is a more polished turd.

if you think that dumpster fire looks better than the ps1 dumster fire version we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
if you think that dumpster fire looks better than the ps1 dumster fire version we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

I think they both look hideous just not in a comparable way.

Superman 64 looks boring gameplay wise. But so does the ps1 game.

In the ps1 game it looks like there's no difference in between if you run or fly. Its the same speed. Also the laser beam from his eyes can't deal that much damage to the robot either. Maybe the robots are made of kroptonite?

Anyways, we are comparing oranges to apples here.

MrA

I think they both look hideous just not in a comparable way.

Superman 64 looks boring gameplay wise. But so does the ps1 game.

In the ps1 game it looks like there's no difference in between if you run or fly. Its the same speed. Also the laser beam from his eyes can't deal that much damage to the robot either. Maybe the robots are made of kroptonite?

Anyways, we are comparing oranges to apples here.
if you've never played the 64 version you don't man, it isn't boring it is actively obnoxious, tight time limits on everything, with extremely uncooperative controls, and the fog,
plus it has terrible visual design choices, there are floor textures that are supposed to be the tops of cities, nothing looks like anything and the framerate is terrible.
plus it has the stupid superman in a computer plot

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Doom Eternal has nothing on this!

On another note the Thor game on Wii is pretty cool.

Top Bottom