• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 will have to be very innovative to keep up with handheld PCs and phones going forward

Drell

They'll probably come with some gimmick (and I hope for them it's just a side thing or else it's gonna be the switch U), but the thing is they jsut have to release Mario Kart 9 and it will sell like hotcakes

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They know that OP. And that's the wildcard..

It could be a wonderful great thing..or not. It's very different from a Playstation or Xbox, where you have a pretty good idea of the value. It follows a predictable line... with Nintendo you never truly know.

It could go a variety of different ways. That's what makes it so interesting to me..

yurinka

Nintendo created a portable outputting to a TV 20 years ago. It's the hybrid design of the Switch that was new.

Now I understand why the Wii U failed, a lack of potatoes.
The GameCube and Wii U are proof this is not true.
Due to bad branding people thought Wii U was some sort of an unneeded Wii Pro, they already had enough with Wii and DS back then.

Gamecube was released over a year after the best selling console ever, which was full BC with the -back then- best selling console ever which had revolutionized gaming. On top of that, PS had a stunning 3rd party catalog and unlike GC. They were also competing against Dreamcast and Xbox, which were released before the PS2.

The main market for Nintendo always have been portables, they did a better job there.

Last edited:
Naaa. Nintendo with a PS4 tech is huge! No more problem with FPS and they should focus on wilder experiences.

After the WiiU, i did not care about the Switch but i am very interest on what they will bring to the table this time!

Hudo

Nintendo have the strongest first-party lineup and output by far. If they bring the games, they'll sell the hardware as long as they don't do anything too stupid.

mrcroket

Switch has sold about 130 millions and it's the third consoles with more sales of all time. Steam deck has sold about 3 millions, also Nintendo is today the only brand with totally exclusive games. Handheld pcs aren't even close to be considered a Switch competence.

Woopah

Due to bad branding people thought Wii U was some sort of an unneeded Wii Pro, they already had enough with Wii and DS back then.

Gamecube was released over a year after the best selling console ever, which was full BC with the -back then- best selling console ever which had revolutionized gaming. On top of that, PS had a stunning 3rd party catalog and unlike GC. They were also competing against Dreamcast and Xbox, which were released before the PS2.

The main market for Nintendo always have been portables, they did a better job there.
Which proves that, just like with Playstation and Xbox, Nintendo products can't sell on brand alone.

They need to offer fun, appealing software in order to succeed.

RickMasters

one thing Nintendo are good at…. Is being Nintendo. Switch 2 will do just fine whatever form it comes in.

I have one wish for it. I hope it’s backwards compatable. I will buy one because I have missed all the good stuff on the first switch. That’s all they need to do to sell one to me.

Tams

God i wish these people knew what it was like playing gameboy under a lamp until the trusty wormlight and eventually the revolutionary gba sp graced us

I remember playing Pokémon in the garden shed (to get away from the parents). Only, it had snowed heavily, so the plastic roof was covered and there was only very dim light.

I couldn't see jack shit on my GameBoy, but my friend had wormlight. I was incredibly jealous.

OP is just objectively wrong.

TotK sold over 10 million units at $70 a pop during its launch weekend, and it runs sub 30fps @ 720p with WiiU graphics.

My Galaxy S3 in 2012 ran GTA3 much better than PS2 and the 3DS still sold 80 million units.

Literally all they need is Zelda, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Smash, Mario, etc, but now they've allegedly got hardware that can keep pace with the big boys, especially at lower resolutions.

1980s-level Nintendo mania is about to run wild and you better get on board before it's too late, brother.

drotahorror

Probably since the N64 or GameCube, Nintendo has released considerably weaker consoles than its competitors, Sony and Microsoft. One can argue that give their release cycles and hardware approaches, they are not even competitors anymore. Doing their own thing has worked considerably well for them for the last 10-15 years.

They pioneered the hybrid handheld/home console system. But more recently, Steam Decks and other handheld PCs have shown up, offering considerably more power and the ability to install pretty much any software you can install on a regular PC. Now even phones are catching up being able to offer console-level AAA experiences.

Nintendo is Nintendo and they will always have Mario, Zelda and Pokémon, and those will always sell a ton.
But with the rumored Switch 2 having allegedly similar performance to a PS4, when phones and other handhelds can already do that, and this is not even the beginning of the generation, I'm concerned that Nintendo will have to just rely again on first party software to thrive. The difference this generation being that they have significantly more competition from handheld PCs and phones.

Hope they've got something up their sleeves instead of just a slightly more beefed up Switch that is already outdated on release.

Series S is PS4 performance basically. Switch 2 will be fine. Add DLSS and you got a contender for PS5 titles.

L*][*N*K

Banned
They march to the beat of their own drum, but they should still be paying attention to what their closest competitors (PS5 and XBS) are doing.
They did that with GameCube it didnt work, I think even Microsoft could do much better if they get out of that whole console war game and just do their own thing

OuterLimits

Handheld PCs are very little threat. They tend to be more expensive (sometimes significantly so) and have zero appeal beyond a small niche.

10 year old Johnny isn't telling his parents he wants a ROG Ally for Christmas.

SaintALia

The console will have another gimmick, whether it will be 'innovative' or not is anyone's guess.

What's more interesting though is the idea that people seriously consider the STeam Deck and other devices like it as serious competitors to the Switch. I've constantly seen this and it's a bit weird to me. The Switch itself has sold over 120 million units. I'd assume Steam Deck is the most popular of those platforms, has it crossed 10 million WW sales yet? Otherwise, it's about as much threat to Nintendo as the Wonderswan was, or GameGear, or Lynx or whatever platform was more powerful than a Nintendo platform at that time.

If you yourself feel that platform appeals to you more, then go for it, but to extrapolate that to all people and gamers seems a bit ridiculous.

Naahh… Switch still selling more than all the PC Handhelds combined, phones are another thing. They only need what they have… Their IPs.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I have yet to see anything on PS5 that isn't basically possible on PS4 also.
I mean for xbox there's flight Sim, for ps5 there's rift apart...

But in gameplay possibilities everything we play today could have been accomplished in the 6th/7th gen

Woopah

They did that with GameCube it didnt work, I think even Microsoft could do much better if they get out of that whole console war game and just do their own thing
They shouldn't necessarily copy the competition, but they should pay attention to what they are doing.

For example, Sony's partnerships with F2P GAAS publishers is giving PS5 some momentum in Japan, and that's not something Nintendo should ignore.

Misterhbk

With MS introducing a lower power tier I don’t think Nintendo has much to worry about since MS will force 3rd parties to down port for that console anyway.

On the flip side it’s MS who may have to worry. 3rd parties may prioritize PS5, followed by Switch 2 leaving MS to suddenly become number 3 on that list.

It’s good they’ve taken some steps for better partnerships in Japan because once Switch 2 can receive solid ports, I just don’t see a reason for most devs to prioritize the MS consoles.

Closer

I mean for xbox there's flight Sim, for ps5 there's rift apart...

But in gameplay possibilities everything we play today could have been accomplished in the 6th/7th gen

Keyword is "basically". I know there are great games on both platforms, but saying that what we have on S is basically possible on PS4 also applies to X and 5.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
They shouldn't necessarily copy the competition, but they should pay attention to what they are doing.

For example, Sony's partnerships with F2P GAAS publishers is giving PS5 some momentum in Japan, and that's not something Nintendo should ignore.
That I agree with

Roufianos

Unfortunately handheld PCs have zero mainstream appeal. Steam Deck sold 3m as of April.

Nintendo can probably afford to get away with being complacent, though I'd love to see them pushed.

Klosshufvud

They do, it just needs to be advertised more, & the tech needs to become smaller and more efficient.
True. People don't know about them. I showed my friends my handheld PC and they can't believe it's real. I believe something in the form factor of OneXfly or GPD Win Mini would make huge waves if price and performance reached a more viable state. Nobody wants to spend the equivalent of a Macbook Air on a handheld.

Aurelius

I think Nintendo should just stay the course. It makes them more and more special and appealing. Just concentrate on making good games on whatever hardware they choose and keep the subscription service to a bare optional minimum.

I personally feel very burned out by this console cycle. The non-stop hype, news cycle, controversies, ultimately disappointing games and price rises for essential services like online multiplayer. Or maybe I’m just getting old. Planning on riding this generation out, and then just sticking with the Switch 2.

Last edited:
They don't have to do anything. Release a more powerful Switch and they're good.

Phones and handheld PCs don't have Nintendo games. Nintendo has Nintendo games.

This is the same mistake enthusiasts have been making forever. Power is mostly meaningless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom