• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Xbox is on track for 2026; features two SKUs including a Switch-like handheld, it's claimed

A handheld? Well good luck MS. They are seriously so lost. They refuse to do the one thing people have been asking for, for over 10 years now. At this point it wouldn't even matter. They've ignored the request from gamers for so long the trust in their brand is gone. It would take another 10 years of a PS4 like run to restore it.

Stuart360

Its funny seeing all these 'a handheld?, MS dont know what they are doing lolz' style posts when for literally years on here people have been saying they should make a handheld and 'they dont know what they are doing TM' because they havent.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Its funny seeing all these 'a handheld?, MS dont know what they are doing lolz' style posts when for literally years on here people have been saying they should make a handheld and 'they dont know what they are doing TM' because they havent.

Well yeah.....different people say different things at different times. Personally I think it makes sense, but at this point I can understand why folks ain't exactly keen on Microsoft making new hardware either.

OverHeat

« generous god »
The switch like handheld is the 3rd party device that is rumoured Asus MSI etc will produce one. This is to counter steam OS that’s all

Last edited:
Splitting their user base on Day 1 again - clearly they have learnt nothing from last time.

It will fun rma’ing a handheld multiple times to get one with an A button that works, without jamming sellotape down the side.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The switch like handheld is the 3rd party device that is rumoured Asus MSI etc will produce one. This is to counter steam OS that’s all
Matthew Bingo GIF

Good luck selling any of these after going third party....

LOL

These consoles will need to have some very unique features that work better with Xbox games over the competition for anyone to consider them.

We're talking about Quick Resume type stuff which was is an awesome feature on the Series consoles.

Gamerguy84

Handheld only needs to be a remote player. Frim the Xbox itself or xcloud.

I use my portal every bit as much as my PS5 and it's so good you'd think it was local.

I'd say with the controller being built into the device itself cuts out some lag that otherwise be present. There is no wireless controller to react to whsts onscreen.

Also you instantly have access to everything.

Pimpbaa

Does this mean they are still going ahead with the updated series x with no disc drive but has 2TB of storage along with updated series controllers?

edit: 2026 is too early. I said this in another thread, the PS6 will come along in 1 to 2 years later and absolutely destroy it.

Last edited:

havoc00

Yea lets piss people who own the consoles off even more, not only will we go third party and put games on the competitors more popular system we are also ending the gen early in 26 lmao

Leonidas

Wait a damn minute…… how they expect to sell either of these with games going to Playstation tho? MS are nuts…..
I'd buy an Xbox handheld if it played my digital Xbox 360/OG Xbox collection.

Yea lets piss people who own the consoles off even more, not only will we go third party and put games on the competitors more popular system we are also ending the gen early in 26 lmao
6 years is plenty for a generation. Zen2 and RDNA2 didn't age well. The faster next-gen comes the better, IMO, so that we see bigger advances in RT (and hopefully path tracing) on console.

havoc00

I'd buy an Xbox handheld if it played my digital Xbox 360/OG Xbox collection.

6 years is plenty for a generation. Zen2 and RDNA2 didn't age well. The faster next-gen comes the better, IMO, so that we see bigger advances in RT (and hopefully path tracing) on console.
This gen hasn’t really even started tons of good stuff is still lined up for 25 and 26

Leonidas

This gen hasn’t really even started tons of good stuff is still lined up for 25 and 26
Its just a shame to me that this gen consoles only got half baked RT and mediocre upscaling.

I just want to see consoles put out decent RT, so I'm hoping next-gen comes as soon as possible (also so my PC games will look even better :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: )

RickMasters

Exactly. Xbox doesn’t break down as often!
Funny because it’s true. BMW ownership is….. not fun. Enough to give even your wallet trauma! 😅

But I digress. I have not experienced a faulty Xbox since x360 days. I think their build quality is easily the best of the the big three since the one X/ one S.

Killjoy-NL

Handheld only needs to be a remote player. Frim the Xbox itself or xcloud.

I use my portal every bit as much as my PS5 and it's so good you'd think it was local.

I'd say with the controller being built into the device itself cuts out some lag that otherwise be present. There is no wireless controller to react to whsts onscreen.

Also you instantly have access to everything.
Agreed on Portal, but thing is, it's nothing but a peripheral.

An Xbox handheld will be pretty insignificant on the market.

Last edited:

Three

xbox is struggling and they want to spend more money on R&D on a handheld. wut?! This makes no sense.
It's more likely that they've seen the likes of Asus and Lenovo enter the portable PC gaming market and want to team up with the OEMs for marketing an "official" licenced xbox gamepass handheld with their own built for portable UI.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

What is going on with all these rumors??

Nbc I Concur GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

It's the weirdest thing. My first thought when it initially started was some kind of smear campaign so I ignored it, but it seemed like that would only take about 30 seconds for MS to shutdown.

As far as multiple skus, I can completely see them going with a more PC like approach. I don't say that in the way that most people use it, not a literal open PC. A console that could still be locked to the Xbox store (could even be the Xbox Windows store - though the past-gen things would need to be emulated) something like that might help provide security given recent events (though most gamers aren't following any of this). But underneath the UI and the Store, these systems are running something closer to "Windows" than what Xbox traditionally has been. These games get built for PC anyway, if porting to Xbox was a bit closer to creating a profile for Steamdeck or something, multiple skus wouldn't be a problem.

Of course I'm over simplifying and this would probably take a lot of wizardry but still. And there would still be licensing and QA checks etc.

At this point it's probably healthier to hear from Spencer and/or Bond before speculating too much. Might get a better idea about the lay of the land after that.

If the next boxes are open devices, I guess these might be the ultimate Steam machines, but with Windows. I'm not necessarily against that as a user, I just worry about the pricing. Could they create a good value system like that, not sure.

Last edited:

FireFly

It's the weirdest thing. My first thought when it initially started was some kind of smear campaign so I ignored it, but it seemed like that would only take about 30 seconds for MS to shutdown.
Microsoft don't routinely comment on unannounced products. And most rumours that turn out to be true concern things happening months not years into the future.

It's more likely that they've seen the likes of Asus and Lenovo enter the portable PC gaming market and want to team up with the OEMs for marketing an "official" licenced xbox gamepass handheld with their own built for portable UI.
The OEMs are not going to accept a license deal with xbox when it'll compete directly with their own products. Asus, Lenovo, and even MSI have their own handhelds. If they go with a gamepass only handheld, there's already the logitech g cloud, but that thing is too expensive. A cloud only device is also very niche as it comes with latency issues and dependent on quality of internet connection.

It's a crowed space and MS is late to react. Generally a recipe for failure.

Kumomeme

too 'good' to be true. sounds like a fantasy wishfull dream of some fans.

if this is true,

then it mean they didnt learn anything arent they?

same strategy, except this time Series S end up as Steamdeck and they expect things would magically working differently in wonderfull way, again.

on paper this is a very good plan(just like Series S). with XCloud and Gamepass for example would fit nicely over the handheld. however there is lot of issue later that could crawl back to them. like if the handheld gonna tied to the home console version which mean it is Series S all over again. if they throw same excuse like it has same CPU or they prepared tools for magical flip switch port process, then it mean they didnt learn a things from their current failure and failed to see the real picture.

worst case they might end up competing directly with Nintendo. two way against Sony before with Series S/X might end up 3 way against Nintendo now in the mix with their handheld hardware. what gonna make it harder is that both Sony and Nintendo might not even competing among each other but Microsoft are the only one facing them both at once alone simultaneusly. they failed for decade against Sony and now they trying their luck against Nintendo? who is basically untouchable and already has track record of destroyed even Sony in handheld market before. even Sony end up give up.

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

and this didnt count the growing PC handheld market that could end up like a second PC market. its like competing against PC spaces, in handheld mode. releasing their game on PC before already hurt Xbox consoles. imagine if it gonna be a repeat again but in a handheld market this time.

it is not impossible. but if they really gonna do this, then they need to tread their plan carefully. they already lose alot and cant risk to keep losing again especially considering the ycould loss much harder this time.

Last edited:

Three

The OEMs are not going to accept a license deal with xbox when it'll compete directly with their own products. Asus, Lenovo, and even MSI have their own handhelds. If they go with a gamepass only handheld, there's already the logitech g cloud, but that thing is too expensive. A cloud only device is also very niche as it comes with latency issues and dependent on quality of internet connection.

It's a crowed space and MS is late to react. Generally a recipe for failure.
Why not? I don't think MS would be asking for money from the OEMs. They would still sell their hardware at a profit but they get MS/xbox marketing and in exchange MS push their store and sub. It would be like official licenced controllers. The OEMs don't have a store as far as I know. I'm not sure how successful it would be, probably not very, but I don't see why the OEMs would be against this.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

a handheld..in a space already with competitors likes steam deck and switch.

xbox is struggling and they want to spend more money on R&D on a handheld. wut?! This makes no sense.
They would have more success making Xbox Dildos and Xbox Buttplugs, their legion of fans and worshippers would buy them in packs of 12 at a time.
---
2026 is too early for a next-gen console with decent improvements over this gen. Mass production would have to start early 2026/late 2025, with all the prototypes and testing the final design would have to be locked this year, assuming a 500-600$ price it would be just a small resolution/raytracing upgrade to current gen.
They already have the mostest powerfulestest monster eating console in the market, and things aren't going so well for them, why release another so soon?
Do they enjoy the laughter from Asia and Europe at their products?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
People are not seeing the big picture here...

Once MS goes third party, they become COMPETITION for other publishers (EA, Take Two, Ubisoft, Capcom, Konami)

No other third-party publisher is supporting a MS console after this gen....
That is not how things work. If they are still a platform holder then they are still partners with these other big companies. If they cannot sell systems then these other publishers won't bother, but if they do sell enough, why wouldn't publishers want to reach those gamers? Oh because they are childish and piss money away because MS is the bad guy. What about gaming on Windows, what about the deals they have for office software? Is all that going to stop too because of this? Do you think the average CXO is 12?

Marvel14

Banned
THIS, you can't be first party and third party at the same time
What if you target some of your exclusives for delayed multiplatform access with some gimping and use them to encourage more engagement with your online services?

Not sure if all the doom and gloom is warranted until we understand better what the plan is. It's fun to express oneself regardless I guess...

Beechos

This actually sounds good. A proper high powered portable console. As cool as the steamdeck is you still have to tinker with shit to get games to run.

Why not? I don't think MS would be asking for money from the OEMs. They would still sell their hardware at a profit but they get MS/xbox marketing and in exchange MS push their store and sub. It would be like official licenced controllers. The OEMs don't have a store as far as I know. I'm not sure how successful it would be, probably not very, but I don't see why the OEMs would be against this.
whether they sell it on their own store is irrelevant because you can just get it at best buy or other retail stores.

The point is their handheld is already on the market being sold to consumers. They are not going to let xbox license the product and sell it with xbox branding because it competes directly with their own product. Plus this also looks bad for xbox because consumers will think it's just a clone. This is not the case of licensing some generic power supply from a chinese OEM and slapping your name on it. That PSU OEM is willing to license it to you because they are not selling it directly to consumers. It makes money from selling to other brands. There's a huge difference.

Besides, entering the handheld space makes no sense for xbox. They are losing to sony and now they are going to compete with likes of Nintendo and Valve. Fight a two front war??

Shambala

They want third partydevs to make games for 4 different Xbox’s 😂. While 2 of them are flopping hard already.. Good luck..

An actual leaker feels differently, at least did late last year though maybe MS has pulled the plug, I dunno

Yeah those were legit and announced by MS themselves also. But spouting digital diahhoera about an Xbox Portable with all this stuff going on is just plain bullshit.
My bet: They'll pull the plug on the midgen refresh. Stopping making hardware.

Anyone who even thinks this portable will become a reality should bang their head one more time on the object that made them think this in the first place.

Not gonna happen.

Last edited:

NEbeast

It made more sense years ago. The market has changed. Its not that deep.

Not sure how a handheld is a bad idea when the market has proven there is demand for high-end portable/hybrid machines. I would like to see them give it a go, at least.

DaGwaphics

Microsoft don't routinely comment on unannounced products. And most rumours that turn out to be true concern things happening months not years into the future.

Of course. But when the the rumors are spreading like wildfire among your core audience and the spirit of it is negative to the brand, these companies will generally jump out to make a clarification. If some journalist writes a random opinion piece, I would expect the simple we don't comment on rumors thing, but here it feels like a quicker shutdown would have been beneficial if there was no smoke to anything that was getting fans riled up.

Top Bottom