• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taito Legends 2 - What the heck only 6.99?

Raimais is sweeeeeeet.
It's like Pac-man except there are seemingly dozens of different stages to play through(since you can choose your own stage after completing the first one). Also you've got a rather large variety of enemies that exhibit all sorts of interesting behavior. On top of that you can grab powerups like lasers and shields. Game kicks my ass though...it's like three times faster than Pac-man and farthest I've gotten so far is like stage 6. =/ Definitely gotta recommend this one.

It's so hard... I managed to finish it, but only through ridiculous credit-feeding. You move fast, but the enemies are even faster, and there are a bunch of different types of them. Also, a lot of the time you don't have a weapon, even when you do they're still faster than you and can be impossible to avoid... oh, and given how quick you're moving getting into the path you want can be tricky. The result? I died, constantly, sometimes every couple of seconds...

Also, evidently, the Japanese version had more story (and two endings depending on which path you took, or something like that), which was removed from the US/European release in favor of the very basic ending in this version... too bad.

A Black Falcon said:
Also, evidently, the Japanese version had more story (and two endings depending on which path you took, or something like that), which was removed from the US/European release in favor of the very basic ending in this version... too bad.

Not surprising. Puchi Carat got a ton of text removed for the US/Euro release. Before each battle the characters would mouth off at each other for a bit and afterwards there were different win-quotes.

Also the endings had way more text. In the US version so far I noticed the ending texts consist of "I have magical powers...yay" instead of maybe a big paragraph about "I have magical powers and I will doom the universe and enslave mankind and blah blah."

I would like to note that Darius Gaiden on TL2 does not run slowly like I previously reported. I gathered up the gusto to pick it up again and it actually runs quite nicely.

This version is still lacking the official firing speed hack so that sucks. Bosses take forever to kill =/ Made it to stage 6(on one credit of course) at least though I did have some very stupid deaths(used a bomb and then crashed a wall, damn that was dumb).

So yeah disregard my earlier post, I suck shit.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, just got the Tatio Legends 2 through the mail, both of them seemed to be going at good prices on Amazon, but the wierd thing is it appears I managed to secure the Euro versions of the games, completre with PEGI ratings. Thankfully they are the Windows versions.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I thought this game was EB/Gamestop only, was that limited time or what?

The XBox version isn't supported on the 360, from the list, which means it won't work at all, right? Layer Section on my 360 would be too sweet.

A Twisty Fluken said:
The XBox version isn't supported on the 360, from the list, which means it won't work at all, right? Layer Section on my 360 would be too sweet.
I don't think there was an Xbox port of Taito Legends 2, just TL1

inner-G

Banned
I got this B1G1 with SNK arcade classics 1 at a Toys 'R Us clearance sale.

Awesome lineups for $7.50 each :D

Great multiplayer fun, especially with arcade sticks!

Sucks about the Europe-exclusive non-Starforce BS Xbox version. Bubble Symphony, Cadash, and RayForce are fantastic. Though at least with the PS2 version you get G-Darius and two shitty games(Sylvalion and RayForce 2).

Given the choice I'd go with the Xbox version because Bubble Symphony and RayForce 1are incredible and Cadash is a real interesting piece of work(one of the few arcade action-RPGs to ever be released)

G-Darius is phenomenal though as well..Hmm..

Granted if you have a import-friendly Saturn that makes things a bit easier since you could just grab Galactic Attack(Also known as RayForce, Layer Section, and uh..Gunbullet?...something like that) for less than $10(Not to mention it's a better port than the TL2 edition since it has TATE) and you could also grab Bubble Symphony for uh...less than $50(Oops). However BS Saturn has a handful of extras(like a mode where you can play with no backgrounds and the original Bubble Bobble theme) But yeah..tough break. Oh and before I forget you can snag Darius Gaiden for the Saturn as well. For like $5 you'll get the closest to arcade-perfect version(there are some scant load-times but you get the auto-fire fix which IMO is required to get the most out of the game).

Only other option for Cadash is the Taito Memories edition it's available on. Problem is the Taito Memories releases are like four times as much as Taito Legends 2 =/.

Daigoro

i love these classic collections so much.

i just hate the fact that they swapped out different games for others depending on the version.

there was a thread on GAF within the last year that discussed all of these different compilation games wasnt there?

Tellaerin

If you love oldschool arcade games, this is one of the best compilations out there. Some of the more obscure games turned out to be the most addictive for me (I've logged more time on Raimais and Sylvalion than is probably healthy). There's a ton of good stuff here, especially if you enjoy shmups, and the package is an amazing bargain.

Yeah I really dig Raimais. The levels typically require a bit of thought(like some areas you have to grab shields to break through forcefields and such). There's so many and they end so quickly that every game feels fresh no matter how many times you play it. It also helps that there are multiple kinds of enemies that behave differently.

Best part though is the speed. Thing I always hated about most Ms. Pacman ports is that they also use the slow setting. The game feels entirely different(and about ten times more fun) when you have a fast-moving Ms. Pacman. Well Raimais is even faster than that.

I feel bad ignoring it for so long since from the outside it looks like just another Pacman clone but once I got into it it's really so much more.

Perhaps I should edit this list: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331544

petran79

Banned
Yea, don't fuck around with Starforce, computers don't like Starforce.

Tell me about it. Windows 7 would loop into startup repair mode after installing tl2.
Had to manually launch bcdedit from cmd to disable the loop. Next restart showed me the problem. Starforce sfcsomething.sys file could not pass Windows digital signature.

Added the option to disable digital signatures in bcdedit. Pressed f8 and chose that option. Windows booted finally. Removed starforce with the tool from their website. TL2 runs fine with a crack.
No wonder it caused an uproar.

Like the interface, though games rely on MAME. Bubble Symphony still has the same blending errors in the intro. Though they exist in Saturn and PS1 too. But there they correct some other gfx errors. Eg secret key items are hidden as intended.

Top Bottom