• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss [3DS] |OT| "The wait better be worth it!" - PALland

PKrockin

Just got a 3DS yesterday and was thinking about picking this up... but I'm curious -- is there anything preferable about the PS2 version over this one? Other than being able to play on a TV, of course.

As far as advantages, the PS2 version has multiplayer and 60FPS in battle (3DS is 30FPS in battle).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
As far as advantages, the PS2 version has multiplayer and 60FPS in battle (3DS is 30FPS in battle).

Hmm... interesting.

Though from the screenshot comparisons, the 3DS version seems to have slightly more detailed visuals, and the load times aren't atrocious...

Probably going to go for the 3DS version, I guess.

Oxx

Looks like it's £27.95 new at Amazon. That's pretty good, right? I don't remember seeing it that low (at least on Amazon).

I got my 3DS last week and this is my only game so I've been playing a lot. I'm really loving it for the most part, but god damn Luke is awful. He's a total dickhead and just a terrible lead character.
He's actually corrupting my enjoyment of the rest of the game :(

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I got my 3DS last week and this is my only game so I've been playing a lot. I'm really loving it for the most part, but god damn Luke is awful. He's a total dickhead and just a terrible lead character.
He's actually corrupting my enjoyment of the rest of the game :(
He becomes much more tolerable after an important plot event.

~25 hours in and my two biggest complaints are: Frame rate goes to shit on the world map and in the later half of the game you're constantly returning to old areas for very short periods of time. I find it annoying to fly to the other side of the world, stay there for 2-3 minutes only to then fly to another part of the world to spend the same amount of time there as well. At least they do sometimes ask if you want to jump to the next city.

Yuripaw

Banned
He becomes much more tolerable after an important plot event.

~25 hours in and my two biggest complaints are: Frame rate goes to shit on the world map and in the later half of the game you're constantly returning to old areas for very short periods of time. I find it annoying to fly to the other side of the world, stay there for 2-3 minutes only to then fly to another part of the world to spend the same amount of time there as well. At least they do sometimes ask if you want to jump to the next city.

Man, there really is no excuse for something like that. The 3DS is a more than capable system for running a port of a PS2 game, especially considering some of the titles we've seen on it. I was playing Kid Icarus earlier, and it was just awesome how parts of that game look.

I came to this thread though, because I was considering picking this game up. Not sure if I should or not. I just beat Tales of Graces f recently, and I really liked it. I enjoyed the story, and characters a lot in it. I wonder if I'll enjoy this one as much. Combat wasn't really my favorite part of Graces. It's alright, just not perfect. I felt like at some times, I just had to fall back on spamming certain moves which were the most powerful.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Man, there really is no excuse for something like that. The 3DS is a more than capable system for running a port of a PS2 game, especially considering some of the titles we've seen on it. I was playing Kid Icarus earlier, and it was just awesome how parts of that game look.

From my understanding it was a problem for the PS2 game as well. The worst part is it happens almost every single time I go on the world map.

I came to this thread though, because I was considering picking this game up. Not sure if I should or not. I just beat Tales of Graces f recently, and I really liked it. I enjoyed the story, and characters a lot in it. I wonder if I'll enjoy this one as much. Combat wasn't really my favorite part of Graces. It's alright, just not perfect. I felt like at some times, I just had to fall back on spamming certain moves which were the most powerful.
Personally I would advise a longer interim between Tales of titles. They're too similar to play back-to-back without the enjoyment of the second one being hindered by sameness. Combat in Abyss is okay, not great. I haven't played Graces so I can't compare. I really enjoy parts of the story for Abyss, except for the fonon nonsense. There is some good character development as well. It's my favorite story of the three Tales of games I've completed, with the other two being Symphonia and Vesperia.

I need a time check here for those of you who've finished this--

I just returned to Baticul (sp?) to convince the king to side with the team and unite everyone to lower the outerlands safely

About how much of the game do I have left?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is there a lot of "secret" or end-game stuff in this? The game has been sitting sealed since it came out on my shelf, ha.

Mistle

Been playing this recently. About 15 hours in.

It started slow but it's really picking up now and I'm enjoying it a lot! :D
I find it funny though... all this time I had 2 small nitpicks that annoyed me. One, was Luke's long hair. Two, was the bad battle music. Well,
both of those things just got fixed at the same time!
haha

Interested to see where the game goes from here. Feels like so far it's all just been a build up, and now the adventure really starts.

Sagitario

So, I can only change to very hard or unknown difficulty on a clear and starred save file?

This wasn't the case in the original PS2 version, IIRC (or any other recent Tales game). Yes, you had to beat the game once, but after that, the other difficulties were unlocked on all save files.

Unless I am doing something wrong in this version or I remember wrongly :\

Just had a chance to finish the game this afternoon. This was probably the first time since I beat RDR 2 years ago that I was legitimately bummed that the game was over. Guess I'll have to pick up Vesperia now...

Anyone on the fence about getting this game lttp like I was, I would definitely pick it up

Sagitario

So, I can only change to very hard or unknown difficulty on a clear and starred save file?

This wasn't the case in the original PS2 version, IIRC (or any other recent Tales game). Yes, you had to beat the game once, but after that, the other difficulties were unlocked on all save files.

Unless I am doing something wrong in this version or I remember wrongly :\

Anyone could check this, please?

Anyone in Australia having a hard time finding this by any chance? I see this game literally everywhere I go before I had a 3DS and now that I do and actually try to look for it, I cant find it anywhere. I've been to several EBGames and JB Hi Fi stores and none of them have it. I even went up to a guy today at EB and they said they have no record of it and that he doesnt remember ever having stocked it. Is the game discontinued?

hamchan

Anyone in Australia having a hard time finding this by any chance? I see this game literally everywhere I go before I had a 3DS and now that I do and actually try to look for it, I cant find it anywhere. I've been to several EBGames and JB Hi Fi stores and none of them have it. I even went up to a guy today at EB and they said they have no record of it and that he doesnt remember ever having stocked it. Is the game discontinued?

You won't find it anywhere in brick and mortar stores, I've tried. Had to order it from online.

hamchan

Finished it in 35 hours. Rushed through it so I can move onto Tales of Graces which I bought ages ago and haven't even started. The ending sure reminds me of
Final Fantasy X, except not sad. Also it's totally Luke that came back. I want a happy ending for Tear.

So ive played this game for 28 and a half hours, my synopsis says im on the 'Father and Daughter' part of the game, Kimlasca has agreed and now I need to get Malkuth to agree. But the question is, how much is left for me? Im starting to get a little bored with the game, as I usually do 30 hours into an RPG, so I can probably do another 10h at most, any more than that, and its very unlikely I will ever finish it. haha.

So ive played this game for 28 and a half hours, my synopsis says im on the 'Father and Daughter' part of the game, Kimlasca has agreed and now I need to get Malkuth to agree. But the question is, how much is left for me? Im starting to get a little bored with the game, as I usually do 30 hours into an RPG, so I can probably do another 10h at most, any more than that, and its very unlikely I will ever finish it. haha.

I'd say you're about... 55-60% of the way done. The game's middle act drags on for a pretty long time.

Mistle

I'm at about the same point, and this thread just reminded me I should finish it...

I have enjoyed the game, but it has also been a bit underwhelming.

Aru

I've resumed my game I've started a year ago (stopped after 3 hours and a half). I've now played for 7 hours and a half and man, this game is pretty hard getting into.
So far the battle system isn't as enjoyable as Vesperia's and the story pacing is kinda slow.
Does it get better after that ?
I'm currently at Baticul Castle, returning home after being sent in Malkuth.

I've resumed my game I've started a year ago (stopped after 3 hours and a half). I've now played for 7 hours and a half and man, this game is pretty hard getting into.
So far the battle system isn't as enjoyable as Vesperia's and the story pacing is kinda slow.
Does it get better after that ?
I'm currently at Baticul Castle, returning home after being sent in Malkuth.

Battle system doesn't reach Vesperia's heights, sadly. It can get fun once you get access to more Field of Fonon artes, though.

As for the pacing, it ramps up a bit pretty soon, but then slows down to a crawl during the middle portion of the game. There's a ton of running back and forth between already visited towns/locations.

Finally bought it on 3DS (already had it on my PS2's hard drive and thus having the best experience). I've got a few things to say :
- Going from Persona 4 Golden to this is...difficult. The aliasing is painful to watch in 3D mode, it's nearly nauseating. After a few moments of adapting your eyes to it, it's still an impressive game for the 3DS.
- You can say what you want about the font used for the game, but I think they did it right because of the 3DS's limited resolution and constraints of visibility.
- Skits aren't voiced, wtf ?

Anyway I can't wait to dig in and meet again my favourite Tales of characters :) (especially Jade)

Mistle

Just finished, 50 hours exactly.

Overall I really enjoyed it. There were a few slow parts, but the story really comes into it's own about half way and onwards, and by the end of the game I grew to really like the characters a lot! Some of the scenes and such near the end are great, and throughout the whole game I guess. But yeah it's a bit of a slow start, so it's worth sticking with it.
Had battle on hard mode and faced some really tough bosses which was cool, but I managed to make it by without too much struggle.
I really wanted to finish this game so I could move onto VLR, but now I'm kind of sad it's over! I've always had a soft spot of JRPGs. Latest JRPG I played before this was Xenoblade (which is truly incredible).

One of the best things is the soundtrack. I love the music so much. I especially like the song called "Mirrors". It's a mellow version of the main theme, but it makes the melody sound so much better.

I noticed I have about 100 unseen skits!! I mean, I didn't go out of my way to do side quests, but that still seems like a lot. I hardly have any character titles either, so it seems I missed out on a lot of extra gameplay. Which is odd to me, as I talked to everyone :/ I don't know where all the side quests were hidden! lol
I have a save file before entering final area. Can I go back and do most of the stuff, or is most of it situational?

Anyway, this the second Tales game I've played. First was Symphonia, a long time ago (can hardly remember it tbh). I've heard Vesperia is really good, so I guess if I ever get a 360 one day I'll definitely check it out! If I like Symphonia and Abyss, what others would I like in the series?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So I finally got past Akzeriuth and then comes the rush of feelings that make me hate every single character in this game, Mieu being the most tolerable. Not a single character is reasonable, which continually pushes me to liking other Tales of characters way more.
I've watched the anime beforehand so I knew it was coming, but Tales of Hate Everyone really gets on nerves.

Azuardo

Jumping in this thread because I'm planning on playing through it very soon.

Can some experts give me some tips that might help give me the easiest and quickest possible ride through the game? Want to get through my backlog as quick as possible, so really would prefer it if I didn't have to go through and grind or get stuck in certain parts. But if there're some great grinding spots that will ensure I can smash through the game with ease, I'd love to hear them.

Any general tips for a complete newbie would be brilliant. Many thanks!

PKrockin

Jumping in this thread because I'm planning on playing through it very soon.

Can some experts give me some tips that might help give me the easiest and quickest possible ride through the game? Want to get through my backlog as quick as possible, so really would prefer it if I didn't have to go through and grind or get stuck in certain parts. But if there're are some great grinding spots that will ensure I can smash through the game with ease, I'd love to hear them.

Any general tips for a complete newbie would be brilliant. Many thanks!

Money is tight until a certain point in the story when the price of most items skyrockets. Try not to sell your old equipment until then.

As for tips to beat the game quickly, play Luke or Guy and try to make bosses target you. Use Free Run to juke them and let your casters do most of the damage. Usually best party setup is a player-controlled Luke or Guy and three spellcasters. Have one strategy set for regular enemies, one for bosses, and one for when a boss goes into overlimit (when that happens you'll want everyone to just guard and dodge). Of course be sure to stock up on Magic Lenses and use them on each boss to find and abuse their weaknesses. Feel free to turn off artes and spells you don't want the AI to use, too, like Tear's useless Charge spell or Luke's artes that cause knockdown. Use Carmine (red) Chambers on your healing spells when you get them.

On normal the game is pretty easy and you probably won't need to grind at all.

Diablos54

So I've just started this, only about 2 hours or so in. Story's just getting started but it's alright so far. Luke's a douche, but kinda funny I guess. Battle system seems about the same as Symphonia (The only other Tales game I've completed), but I get the feeling there's still a bit more to come in that respect. The 3D effect seems serviceable, but still kinda lazy. Battles are a bit easy, so I might bump this up to hard.

Edit: Guy's so scared of woman, haha. Also, message speed 1 is too quick, but speed 2 is too slow, so annoying. :p

Edit 2: About 7 hours in now, finally getting the hang of using FoF's, was really confused for a while as to why some were white and others colored.

Azuardo

Played for about 4-5 hours so far. Have been trying to finish off some other games.

Stuck on the boss with Arietta and two other things. I heard you're meant to kill Arietta first but my attacks do hardly anything. Even keeping the woman caster (forgot her name) as a healer I can't get anywhere. Think I'm missing something, since I don't really understand FOFs, or how to use them. I've just been mashing attacks/artes with Luke and getting Guy to help and that other guy to do whatever.

May need to learn how things work a bit more. I have to be missing something skillfully because this is supposed to be quite easy, right? Yet here I am dying on this boss.

Anyway, impressions of Luke - dickhead. Hate his voice and attitude. You can tell he's set up for a character change later on, though, with all his "Shut up" talk right now. I do like it when he beats the crap out of Mieu, though - now he definitely is annoying. Think I've been spoilt by great voice acting in games these days, since JRPG VAs like these get right on my nerves.

Oh yeah, Guy freaking out when women touch/go near him really irked me for some reason o.o Just seemed a really odd trait to put onto a character. Seems really strange to freak out over the opposite sex, whether you're naturally attracted to them or not. Should be interesting to hear what his problem is lol.

PKrockin

A lot of people said they didn't really understand in-game field of fonons tutorial so I made a video explaining it better. Realistically though you won't have the opportunity to use field of fonon changes much until you get mid-level spells.

As for Arietta, I think she's actually one of the hardest fights in the game because boss battles with multiple enemies are much harder than those with just one enemy, and you're probably too poor to buy very many gels. You should be at least level 10. Make sure your party strategy is set to use all TP. Use free run to dodge Arietta's attack spells--they hit hard. Your combos this early in the game will really just consist of three normal attacks followed by an arte. If an enemy goes into Overlimit, just dodge its attacks, don't bother fighting it until it loses Overlimit. Once you kill one of the bosses the other two will fall pretty easily... the Liger is the most dangerous target besides Arietta so I'd go for that next.

Azuardo

Ha, this game had me fooled for a while! They really make you think you're almost finished with the game at a certain period...
That whole Absorption Gate dungeon, then the fight with Van. I did think it was odd with the complete lack of mega bosses leading up to it. And it all just felt so underwhelming. I'd have been pretty pissed if it did end there. Good to know I've got another third of the game to go.

But I dunno. People say things really pick up and I don't know if this is the point that they do, but so far this game really hasn't captured me like other RPGs have. It's been pretty underwhelming overall. I'm hoping the last 7-10 hours or whatever I have left do kick it up a notch now.

I don't remember Symphonia being like this, but that was a good... 8 years ago that I played that? For Tales vets, where does Abyss usually rank in the series? I've only played Symphonia and this. I've not picked up Graces but I don't know whether I should or not unless it's a lot better than this one. Although Xillia definitely looks like a good one.

Anyway, I should reserve final judgment until I've finished the game :)

PKrockin

Most Tales fans wouldn't rank Abyss above Vesperia, at least. Symphonia is ranked pretty well, though some call that more due to nostalgia since it was most Westerners' first Tales game. Vesperia is pretty great if you have a 360; it's basically Abyss with a lot of small additions and improvements, and probably best liked game in the series overall. The cast is better, with Yuri often called the best JRPG protagonist. Graces, on the other hand, has far better battle mechanics while the story and cast are pretty lame.

vareon

Most Tales fans wouldn't rank Abyss above Vesperia, at least. Symphonia is ranked pretty well, though some call that more due to nostalgia since it was most Westerners' first Tales game. Vesperia is pretty great if you have a 360; it's basically Abyss with a lot of small additions and improvements, and probably best liked game in the series overall. The cast is better, with Yuri often called the best JRPG protagonist. Graces, on the other hand, has far better battle mechanics while the story and cast are pretty lame.

Really? Weren't it a Gamecube exclusive for the West?

Symphonia (and DoTNW) and this are the only Tales games I played. I liked Symphonia's cast and story better, but on gameplay I prefer Abyss.

PKrockin

Really? Weren't it a Gamecube exclusive for the West?

Symphonia (and DoTNW) and this are the only Tales games I played. I liked Symphonia's cast and story better, but on gameplay I prefer Abyss.

Just going by other Tales fans online, Symphonia seems to be the most popular response when asked what their first Tales game was. Besides, I don't think Destiny or Eternia sold respectably. Symphonia was the first game to see a European release, and with the help of Nintendo sold decently (100k in US in two weeks) on the RPG-starved Gamecube. (Yeah, it was GC exclusive)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Luke the annoying asshole is actually a much better/more entertaining character than the Luke later version. The later version is just a typical stereotype JRPG hero cliche while the former at least something new/fresh.

But I do realize this is not a popular opinion, meh.

PKrockin

Luke the annoying asshole is actually a much better/more entertaining character than the Luke later version. The later version is just a typical stereotype JRPG hero cliche while the former at least something new/fresh.

But I do realize this is not a popular opinion, meh.

I don't think it's that unpopular. I thought it was pretty fresh too. If nothing else you can say they had guts to intentionally make the protagonist a closed-minded, bratty rich kid for the purposes of the story.

vareon

I don't think it's that unpopular. I thought it was pretty fresh too. If nothing else you can say they had guts to intentionally make the protagonist a closed-minded, bratty rich kid for the purposes of the story.

Isn't it pretty obvious that the main character won't stay the brat he is for the whole story? Especially during the trip to the mining village
before the whole you-are-a-clone revelation
, where Luke tries to be an asshole in every situation he's in.

Azuardo

Ah, I'm definitely one of those whose first Tales game was Symphonia. I would have played Dawn of the New World but the less than favourable reviews put me off wanting to trudge through it. So Abyss is only my second, and got it before Graces since I found it at a great price. Graces f is out of my price range, and I don't want to get the Wii version.

You could tell from the first instance that the annoying bastard Luke would undergo a complete character change at some point, but I agree now that he's just become boring as hell, and it still seems unrealistic. If the answer to that is "what do you expect - it's a JRPG" then I guess I'm just getting a bit tired of the clichéd stories of JRPGs these days. I'd love to be able to find a JRPG for once that actually keeps me guessing and has characters with solid VA that I can perhaps relate to a lot more.

Don't have a 360 so can't play Vesperia, which is a shame if the story is one of the best in the series. Even if Graces sounds like it has the best gameplay, if the story is wank then I'm not gonna be as happy. Finding a balance of great gameplay and great story is something I really need for a JRPG.

PKrockin

^ Shame, you would have loved Vesperia, it definitely has that "full package, balance of gameplay and story" you're looking for. The villain is fairly weak but otherwise I can't think of any major flaws.

Isn't it pretty obvious that the main character won't stay the brat he is for the whole story?
Yeah, it is. It seemed to have turned off a lot of people regardless, or maybe they didn't realize that.

Azuardo

Maybe one day I will pick up a 360 for dirt cheap when the next Xbox rolls around.

Are there any other RPGs that you can think of on current consoles that you think could suffice - i.e. great story & gameplay? Not 360 exclusives, since I only have PS3 and Wii. And 3DS, ofc.

I'm only a couple of hours into Xenoblade, but it's been put on hold until I finish Abyss and one or two other games I'm in the middle of.

Otherwise, I've played all FF games, and also The Last Story and Valkyria Chronicles this gen. I have started Agarest 2 but that really hasn't captured me so far, either, so that one is also on hold.

Top Bottom