• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tears of the Kingdom is a boring game

GymWolf

I don't even think what you have listed is even true, however BoTW clears ToTK for me because it seems more focused on what you goal should be. Like I remember in BoTW, is you needed to scale a mountain but you didn't have enough stamina, you would leave , explore more, level up and come back. In ToTK, you could just cheese and build some plane or just ascend if possible. So yea, you could say the skills are better in ToTK, I wouldn't debate that. But I don't think it makes it more fun for the user, at least for me.

In the same vain, I think the building is just very unfun and a chore. I get this will be polarizing, some will love some will hate, but the building is by far the worst aspect of ToTK. I hate this type of mechanic in all games (like I don't think someone could pay me to have to play Minecraft). I don't find fun in spending 15 mins to build a car, plane, w/e to have it last 20 seconds.
Both games are unfocused as fuck, it's kinda the whole point of them, letting you do what you want.

Except in totk you can't go to the final boss after a couple of hours, i think you have a more "classic" structure with steps to do before facing the finale, so i think totk is a bit more focused than botw.

Most of the things i listed are facts except story, skills and maybe dungeons (but i fail to think anyone who can prefer the dungeons in botw).

You have more enemy types and slightly better bosses, more ways to travers the map, what you find during exploration is a bit more useful and long term and give you a better sense of progression (just upgrading the battery to use the zonai devices is better than anytjing inside botw progression wise), you have both sky islanda and depth, the new skills make puzzle even more free to be solved in unexpected ways, the companions were a great reward for completing the dungeons instead of just having new rechargable skills like in botw, too bad the framerate goes into shit even more if you use them (switch hardware fault, not the game).

Like i think tokt is definitely the better game, the problem is that like someone else said, the improvements really don't solve almost any problem from the first game so they don't feel like big upgrades.

You have more enemy but they are still easy and retarded as fuck and combat in general still suck asses
Better dungeons but still decent at best compared to the best dungeons on the market
Better rewards for exploration but still crappy compared to games with better loot and better sense of progression
Better bosses but just compared to the absolute trash that were the bosses in the first game
More varied traversal but what you build is too much physics based so unless you are a fucking car builder in real life it's probably not gonna be super fun to use because you have a fucking wheel half centimeter too much on the left...

Fun fact, i absolutely hate building stuff in any game, and totk was basically the only game where i KINDA enjoyed the process, not much building cars and airplanes but just solving puzzles in unexpected ways and making a bridge with trees to reach a place, that type of stuff.

Last edited:
6 years for a glorified BOTW DLC with tacked on building mechanics nobody asked for and the exact same combat system. This game feels like a gigantic chore. You just get tired of doing shrines over and over again…finding korok seeds….rinse and repeat… The map is huge with the multiple depths, but it’s also empty and dead. I was really excited with the sky island, but when I dropped back down to Hyrule, I suddenly felt like I was just playing BoTW all over again. All of the BoTW burnout came rushing back. I have tried very hard to like this game but it's not for me.
Spot on post

TaroYamada

They are both pretty boring games tbh, I beat BOTW but was disappointed with it. I couldn't bring myself to invest in TOTK much. I think I beat the first dungeon, that mine facility underground. And I think I completed the mountain/goron city stuff. It definitely felt like an expansion pack to me and it was already a fairly unfocused Zelda experience in BOTW.

Would love to see a return to OOT/Majora's Mask/Twilight Princess style of game but suspect we'll never see that style of Zelda again.

Solidus_T

Definitely not a boring game, however it was a little more fun in the beginning when enemies were more threatening. Later on after you get stronger, you sort of get too strong for everything/can trivialize most battles or just ignore them with a rocket shield.

I think I like both games less now?

I'll always very fondly remember the first couple magical weeks of BOTW. But when I finally 'beat' the game years later I didn't really feel the same way about it. Leading up to TOTK I was incredibly excited, and again had a really fun couple of weeks. But as of today I have still only done one or two temples, and probably less than 35% of all the content. With no intentions to go back to it anytime soon.

They are obviously good games, and I think of them as high quality entries. But if I think of best or my favorite games? They aren't making it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
People are over thinking the OP, boring is a good thing and btw TOTK was a roller coaster ride for me, how many of those shrines, dungeons and side quests were quality? All of them.

Facts. If it didn't have a Zelda skin, it would have been just another Ubisoft clone.

Shame that we lost the last decade of Zelda development to BOTW and TOTK.
Ubisoft clone? was there towers to unlock and woke politics in it? If not then its not ubisoft clone. Ubisoft doesn't own open world design.

As for the game, havent' played it, still shrink wrapped on my game shelf. I have to beat botw first, but man after getting past the Zora's domain, I tired of it and so many other games came out (my switch library is way over 100+ games, probably way more. So I will get to it eventually, just hope switch 2 is backwards compatible, as I fear the batteries dying on the switch with no way to replace, or the servers going belly up and no re-downloading ala 3ds.

Both games are unfocused as fuck, it's kinda the whole point of them, letting you do what you want.
Sure, that's true. But in the example of going to a shrine. In BoTW there is really only 1 way to solve/complete (been a bit so maybe there are some that are multi solutions, but just in general), while in ToTK their are multiple. I get why some people like the ToTK approach more, but to me it feels cheap and cheesy.
Most of the things i listed are facts except story, skills and maybe dungeons (but i fail to think anyone who can prefer the dungeons in botw).
If we're being honest here, they're both dog shit. ToTK having "better" dungeons is a nothing burger when they are both complete ass. Hell, I would argue ToTK being a sequel, which is basically the same map and assets, the dungeons should have been leaps and bounds better instead of marginal at best. I will give ToTK this though, getting to the dungeons was pretty dope. I especially enjoyed going up to the wind Temple, that was fun.
Fun fact, i absolutely hate building stuff in any game, and totk was basically the only game where i KINDA enjoyed the process, not much building cars and airplanes but just solving puzzles in unexpected ways and making a bridge with trees to reach a place, that type of stuff.
Touched on the multi solution puzzles already but would add that BoTW felt more like Zelda to me. When I think of Zelda, I think of exploration (both games excel in that) and puzzles/dungeons (for this sake really just puzzles and am viewing the shrines as just small parts of an overall dungeon). This is where I feel ToTK falls short. In almost every puzzle in BoTW I felt I accomplished something, just the dumb ass combat shrines withstanding. While In ToTK, I didn't feel that much at all. Can't find the proper solution, just build some nonsense and see yourself out. Idk, both are very different from tradition Zelda's but I feel BoTW was more a Zelda game than ToTK for that reason. I still regard both highly, probably like a 8.5 out of 10 for ToTK and a 9 for BoTW. But they just don't compare to older Zelda's, neither of these make my top 5 in favorite Zelda ever. Hell, they may even miss the top 10.

Maori

Neo Member
I disagree, but I see where you are coming from.

If you are not into building and painting your own adventure, in every quest, and in every puzzle, then yeah - TOTK might feel underwhelming and samey on the surface.

But for me it did just the opposite; Made me realize I can approach every situation using my own imagination and creativity.

For me, it is BOTW, but fully realized.

TOTK makes BOTW feel like a tech demo by comparison.

A one of a kind game that is more next gen than any game on the PS5/Xbox.

Muffdraul

TotK took me six weeks of daily play to finish, almost 300 hours total, and it never bored me one bit. And that's after multiple BotW play thrus over the previous six years, the last of which started the day the TotK 10 min demo hit youtube and ended literally the day before TotK unlocked on my Switch. And I'm about 60% through my second TotK play thru, though that's something I only chip away at here and there over time.

Meanwhile, as much as I was loving FFVII Rebirth, I got so bored of it around the time I hit Cosmo Canyon like a damn month ago, probably around 60 hours. And I still haven't finished it. I finally made it to the final battle yesterday, all the way to the final final final final final phase... but just couldn't seal the deal. I dread going back to it and starting over from the beginning of that battle. Probably gonna set it to Easy just to get it the fuck over with already. Shame, I was really really loving Rebirth for the first 70%. But they took a breezy fun classic and turned it into a modern morass of too many busywork chores.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Sure, that's true. But in the example of going to a shrine. In BoTW there is really only 1 way to solve/complete (been a bit so maybe there are some that are multi solutions, but just in general), while in ToTK their are multiple. I get why some people like the ToTK approach more, but to me it feels cheap and cheesy.

If we're being honest here, they're both dog shit. ToTK having "better" dungeons is a nothing burger when they are both complete ass. Hell, I would argue ToTK being a sequel, which is basically the same map and assets, the dungeons should have been leaps and bounds better instead of marginal at best. I will give ToTK this though, getting to the dungeons was pretty dope. I especially enjoyed going up to the wind Temple, that was fun.

Touched on the multi solution puzzles already but would add that BoTW felt more like Zelda to me. When I think of Zelda, I think of exploration (both games excel in that) and puzzles/dungeons (for this sake really just puzzles and am viewing the shrines as just small parts of an overall dungeon). This is where I feel ToTK falls short. In almost every puzzle in BoTW I felt I accomplished something, just the dumb ass combat shrines withstanding. While In ToTK, I didn't feel that much at all. Can't find the proper solution, just build some nonsense and see yourself out. Idk, both are very different from tradition Zelda's but I feel BoTW was more a Zelda game than ToTK for that reason. I still regard both highly, probably like a 8.5 out of 10 for ToTK and a 9 for BoTW. But they just don't compare to older Zelda's, neither of these make my top 5 in favorite Zelda ever. Hell, they may even miss the top 10.
Didn't i said the same in my post? the dungeons are better but still pretty meh.

Didn't i said the same in my post? the dungeons are better but still pretty meh.
You did. I still don't think it matters much though. Going from mega ass to super ass isn't much of an upgrade. My overall point is if you want to call the dungeons an upgrade from BoTW, that's fine, you won't get too much disagreement from me there. They are both still awful though and because of that I don't think that suddenly makes ToTK > BoTW

GymWolf

You did. I still don't think it matters much though. Going from mega ass to super ass isn't much of an upgrade. My overall point is if you want to call the dungeons an upgrade from BoTW, that's fine, you won't get too much disagreement from me there. They are both still awful though and because of that I don't think that suddenly makes ToTK > BoTW
Yeah, but a little improvement here, a little improvement there, and when you add everything that is improved, the game is just better, samey, but better.

If you only have to play one, tokt is just the more(slightly) evolved.

kunonabi

I am quite shocked how many agree with me on this. Really hope the next Zelda can pick up the pieces and be a more worthwhile experience.
The sad thing is as much I hated BotW I still thought it was a good framework to build a better game off much like Oot which I also didn't care for. I really expected TotK to be be a huge upgrade that would properly address at least some of BotW problems. For them to crib so much from botw including puzzles, gear, and story structure is just not something I expected them to do even as painfully lazy as Switch-era Nintendo as been.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I am quite shocked how many agree with me on this. Really hope the next Zelda can pick up the pieces and be a more worthwhile experience.
loud minority peoples agree in threads all the time make a poll you will get destroyed its all true Im sorry my friends

I played it (almost) a year ago for month. Absolutely liked it but I always compared it to BOTW in my head so I had mixed feelings from TOTK. I thought the first one is more relaxed and simple. This was just too complex for me (by that time).
Almost a year has passed and after watching a dev presentation (which was super impressive for me) I've tried it again and was shocked just how good it is and I finnaly got it. Its was just super overwhelming at first - the game throws to you everything without limitation while you kinda wanted to 'just play and relax' and trying to find a reason to all of that. I feel nothing like that now. Its superior to BOTW in every way except it came after BOTW so impression is different.
I just wondered around with no goal and found so many new things that impressed me beside that I have done 2 bosses and have almost all the map already. Not bored now because I want to try so much things with ultrahand and fuse, do quests, korok missions... There is so much to do so I glad that I haven't forced it last time and waited until the moment. I also never watched any videos from it to not be spoiled.
My verdict - its awesome but also can be very complex, it's not for novice players at all. I have so much to say about the game but tired of typing and kinda don't care much to do so. I got it now and I'm glad I did.
I also have to say - this game will age very very well.

Last edited:
God, imagine being a part of crafting this masterpiece for the ages and having to endure the opinions of randoms like, "Meh, it's boring." You don't deserve it then.
This is dumb.

People are allowed to not like something whether it’s considered a masterpiece, a piece of shit, or just a standard piece of entertainment.

I think all modern art is stupid and boring but that doesn’t affect the creator and that doesn’t stop somebody from enjoying it themselves.

You think it’s a masterpiece, and others think it’s boring and repetitive. I’m somewhere in the middle and that’s okay.

Tears of the Kingdom for me is complicated. On one hand the gameplay loop still gets me and they improved a lot of what I didn’t like about BoTW. On the other hand I found the sky islands disappointing (most are just tiny areas with maybe a chest and a couple enemies on it) and the depths I found suck the fun out of my gameplay.

I didn’t like BoTW the first like two times I tried it. I got to the first “dungeon” and gave up twice. Then it clicked and I found myself playing it for hours and hours and being obsessed with it. Ultimately I’d give BoTW a 9 and ToTK a 8. The highs are much higher than the lows. I understand how people would dislike it though.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
96 metacritic higher scores thens any exclusive on any other platform and higher sales

annnnnnnnnd GigaBowser seal of approval Neogarf

giphy.gif

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I think all first party games (no matter to whom they belong to) get higher scores than they should in fears of the company blacklisting the publication and not giving them any review copies in the future.

That's why I think review scores shouldn't matter to anyone, much better to look up some negative reviews online and considering if those sound like a deal breaker or not.

tr1p1ex

I had great fun. I liked all the new stuff they added.

my start was different than botw. I was awed starting out with botW. Whereas in totk i was grumbling...same game..learn the controls again...grumble.

But I got more into totk. and ended up putting too many hours into it.

This is dumb.

People are allowed to not like something whether it’s considered a masterpiece, a piece of shit, or just a standard piece of entertainment.

I think all modern art is stupid and boring but that doesn’t affect the creator and that doesn’t stop somebody from enjoying it themselves.

You think it’s a masterpiece, and others think it’s boring and repetitive. I’m somewhere in the middle and that’s okay.

Tears of the Kingdom for me is complicated. On one hand the gameplay loop still gets me and they improved a lot of what I didn’t like about BoTW. On the other hand I found the sky islands disappointing (most are just tiny areas with maybe a chest and a couple enemies on it) and the depths I found suck the fun out of my gameplay.

I didn’t like BoTW the first like two times I tried it. I got to the first “dungeon” and gave up twice. Then it clicked and I found myself playing it for hours and hours and being obsessed with it. Ultimately I’d give BoTW a 9 and ToTK a 8. The highs are much higher than the lows. I understand how people would dislike it though.
I'm not saying people aren't allowed to feel how they feel, I'm just saying if someone's reaction to the master level gamecraft on offer is that it's "boring" then they don't deserve to be served such a deliciously and lovingly prepared meal and they can eat cold tuna out of a can instead.

Loved Breath of the Wild, especially on PC running with enhancements via the Cemu emulator, but just couldn't get into Tears of the Kingdom at all. Felt too samey to me, visually the game had no improvements despite the five year gap, and I just found the whole concept of having experiment with and construct things to be tedious. This was also true of Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts 'n' Bolts on Xbox One, another franchise which I adored the first two games of on N64 and later on Xbox 360 et al but found the latter sequel to just be too much work to be enjoyable. Guess fans of Minecraft and stuff would love those games but that is something I don't play either or any game which requires me to waste time having to build things as part of the gameplay loop. Each to their own, I guess, but not for me.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I really don’t see a problem with TOTK allowing you to “cheese” the game with the Zonai devices.

If anything, the game opens up a gigantic philosophical chasm that game theory will take a while to fill.
I remember several times in the game when I did something that would be considered cheesing it, or exploiting glitches in any other game. Only, in TOTK the game’s engine deliberately allows for those things, so is it still cheating if it’s perfectly within the game’s rules?
At times it feels like Nintendo follows the speedrunning community (I’m absolutely sure they do) and wanted to make walking through walls and ceilings a feature, rather than a bug. But did they really? No one knows. That’s why that nagging sensation that I was somehow cheating never left me. And that’s a great “fuck you” to anyone who wants to gatekeep by telling others how a game should be played (looking at you, “easy mode would ruin Souls” crowd).

So yeah, you can spend minutes trying to figure out how to best arrange pieces of wood to hold a road sign up. Or you can just take out a floating platform or two, and solve the problem in a matter of seconds.
It rains and you want to build a campfire? Just use a floating platform to shelter your fire.
Can’t climb a wet rock wall? You may use Ascend.
Suck it, BOTW. You and your Murhpy Law-inspired rain algorithm. Go back to BOTW today and you’ll be reminded how the game visibly decides to make it rain just by how you move the camera to look at a climbable surface. That fucking game knows, and it trolls you to no end.

BlackTron

I think all first party games (no matter to whom they belong to) get higher scores than they should in fears of the company blacklisting the publication and not giving them any review copies in the future.

That's why I think review scores shouldn't matter to anyone, much better to look up some negative reviews online and considering if those sound like a deal breaker or not.

What really pissed me off is when the game leaked and some individuals started saying "dungeons are back!"

I think it's probably my favorite game of all time, so obviously hard disagree.

I think each of BOTW and TOTK are individual masterpieces, but the two taken together as a full experience are far and away the greatest thing crafted in this industry (and it's not even particularly close).
LMAO

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
What really pissed me off is when the game leaked and some individuals started saying "dungeons are back!"
Hype usually leads people to think things are better that how they actually are. Honeymoon period and all that.

It really baffles me, how in 1998 Nintendo managed to make a game with 9 dungeons + a well, an ice cave and Ganon's Castle in less than 3 years of dev time, but nowadays they only manage to create 4 which level design makes them feel like a joke when compared to the ones in previous titles.

I don't want to shit on the game too much since it seems to do some stuff right, but as a Zelda game it sure was disappointing to me.

Top Bottom