• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 Sales Top 2 Million Units - Sales | Bandai Namco Will Refocus Game Development on Quality Following Declining Financial Results

Draugoth

Gold Member
bandai-namco-logo-blue-protocol.jpg

Bandai Namco in its earnings call announced Tekken 8 has sold over two million units worldwide and is selling better than expectations.

It has Tekken 8 less than three weeks to sell over two million units. This compares to Tekken 7, which took around two months to reach the same milestone.

Bandai Namco announced its financial results for the third quarter of the fiscal year, related to the period between October and December 2023.

According to the documents provided by the Tokyo-based company, sales for the whole company were 772,035 million yen (up 3.9% year-on-year), while operating profit was 78,282 million yen (down 26.3% year-on-year).

Looking at the Digital Business, which includes games, sales were 263,012 million yen (down 8.9% year-on-year), while segment profit was 1,615 million yen (down 96.5% year-on-year).

Armored core VI: Fires of Rubicon has been quite successful.
We learn that mainstay mobile games from the Dragon Ball and One Piece franchises performed stably both in Japan and overseas, while a new online game performed significantly below expectations.

FromSoftware's Armored Core VI: Fire of Rubicon (which you can purchase on Amazon) has proved popular, but overall sales of home video games declined due to unfavorable comparison with a stronger lineup in the past year.

The company also mentions valuation loss due to the online game mentioned above, and the review of the composition of the titles in development ahead of the next medium-term business plan. This likely means that some have been shelved or canceled.

We hear that Bandai Namco intends to promote stricter screening of its games, strategically develop games to obtain an optimal title portfolio and strengthen the overall development management via the collaboration with Bandai Namco Studios. This reorganization of the portfolio and development is going to put an emphasis on quality.

Due to the results mentioned above, the company has revised its full-year operating profit forecast downward from 125,000 million yen to 82,000 million yen, a 34% cut.

While the online game that performed below expectation has not been mentioned by name, it's likely that it's Blue Protocol, which has struggled to achieve a large fanbase following its release in Japan for PC first and then for PS5 and Xbox Series X|S. The game is still scheduled to come to the West at some point this year for the same platforms, localized by Amazon.

Source 1

Source 2

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
They did all the right things:
-Revealed within a short enough time frame before actual release to not drag out game hype
-Listened to feedback in all regards to make a quality product for tekken fans and casuals
-Netcode
-Great amount of marketing
-Game is fun and polished. Works exactly as intended.

Harada with a real budget? Easy win.

Now do that for a sword art online game…

RickMasters

I only realised the other day just how much I appreciate namco.

They published two of my fave games in the last two years ( Elden ring and my personal GOTY Armoured core six) I still play ace combat on my series X, I was playing SD Gundam on gamepass… bought it this morning in the anime month sale for 13 bucks, along with scarlet nexus.

Tekken is as awesome as ever, I still play soul calibur, and right now I’d love for them to do just give me arcade perfect Ports if cybersled and cyber commando on one package, a ridge racer arcade anthology. A ridge racer PS1 anthology for all modern formats with 60FPS and cleaned up textures and maybe enhance the lighting…. Nothing more need be done. A tekken anthology for tekken 1-5. And a port of a game we never got at home….. ace driver!

Oh…. And we need a new ace combat. This time with lots of co op modes! I used to live doing the co ip stuff on X360 back in the days. Bring back co op modes to the next ace combat.

I think I’m gonna start messing with some of their tales games at some point. I love namco! They are just…. Quality. 👌🏾

A lot of people on other forums were saying the game bombed and it needed a Switch version.

But it's doing better than Tekken 7 launch aligned, so which way is it??

Shut0wen

Think namco need to ditch there shitty anime games at this point, they publish quality games but all there anime games are total shit with the exception of kakarot and fighter z, xenoverse was an awful series as well

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Hopefully they slow down the roll on low effort anime IP arena fighters and focus on new IPs. Or at least a new Tales game. Arise was ok, but there's more room for improvement.

Tekken 8 has been a lot of fun and I've barely even gone online with it yet.
Definitely, especially considering there loosing fromsoftware since they are pretty much going to be self publishing at this point

Woopah

A lot of people on other forums were saying the game bombed and it needed a Switch version.

It can all be true. Tekken 8 can:

Be a big success worldwide
Not have sold that much in Japan
Benefit from a port to Switch 2 (which I assume would be easier than a Switch port

It has Tekken 8 less than three weeks to sell over two million units. This compares to Tekken 7, which took around two months to reach the same milestone.
horse confirm GIF

Tekken 7 is garbage. Tekken 8 is an amazing package with room for improvement. It also managed to finally deliver what Tekken 6 promised.

Last edited:

Kacho

You sure they weren’t talking about the game bombing in Japan? Sounds like it’s doing well elsewhere.

They should absolutely port this to the Switch successor btw.

Last edited:
You sure they weren’t talking about the game bombing in Japan? Sounds like it’s doing well elsewhere.

They should absolutely port this to the Switch successor btw.
Funny GIF

The Switch successor would not be able to run it.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

horse confirm GIF

Tekken 7 is garbage. Tekken 8 is an amazing package with room for improvement. It also managed to finally deliver what Tekken 6 promised.

Tekken 7 did a number of things better than T8. Stages were less claustrophobic, balance was better at launch, RA felt less obnoxious than RA + Heat, more emphasis on defensive play, Akuma, badass music etc etc

I think T8 makes a very strong first impression but once you dive into it, ots blatant shortcomings become apparent. For instance the celebrated "SP content" which you can finish in a day and there is no reason to return to it. Or the online arcade hub which is completely redundant. Or ranked being a complete clusterfuck of FT2 gimmick fighrs where most players refuse even a first rematch. Overall Tekken 8 needed maybe another 6 months in development IMO.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Tekken 7 did a number of things better than T8. Stages were less claustrophobic, balance was better at launch, RA felt less obnoxious than RA + Heat, more emphasis on defensive play, Akuma, badass music etc etc

I think T8 makes a very strong first impression but once you dive into it, ots blatant shortcomings become apparent. For instance the celebrated "SP content" which you can finish in a day and there is no reason to return to it. Or the online arcade hub which is completely redundant. Or ranked being a complete clusterfuck of FT2 gimmick fighrs where most players refuse even a first rematch. Overall Tekken 8 needed maybe another 6 months in development IMO.
Tekken 7 also has Tekken Bowl dlc. Tekken Ball is fun and all but it's no Tekken Bowl.

All the stages in Tekken 7 looked like upscaled PS2 era shit. The balance for Tekken 7 sucked day zero and still sucks to this day. The rage arts in Tekken 7 decided most matches, while the rage arts in Tekken 8 are a desperate gamble that barely pays off once in a blue moon. Rage Drive was a throwaway mechanic in Tekken 7 that was expanded into the versatile heat system in Tekken 8. There are also characters in Tekken 8 that excel in defensive play. Meanwhile, Akuma was the most despised opponent in Tekken 7. The electronic wubstep noises of Tekken 7 had people crying for the return of jukebox in every version not on the PS4 (where it was exclusive). While I agree arcade hub is redundant in Tekken 8, Tekken 7 had nothing worth diving into in the first place. FT2 is a common tournament standard, so I have no idea what you want. Online tournaments that end when the host loses? The phrase "you can't polish a turd" comes to mind, but lets agree to disagree. You can still choose to play Tekken 7, while I avoid it like a leper.
Tekken 7 also has Tekken Bowl dlc. Tekken Ball is fun and all but it's no Tekken Bowl.
Tekken Bowl was repetitive, offline, and was costume bundled DLC that cost 14 USD. Tekken Ball is dynamic, it can be played online or offline and is completely free.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

It can all be true. Tekken 8 can:

Be a big success worldwide
Not have sold that much in Japan
Benefit from a port to Switch 2 (which I assume would be easier than a Switch port
This reply/thread feels like dejavu! I just can’t recall what game was talked about! 😂

Go_Ly_Dow

I've heard nothing but great things. I'll pick this up at some point.

I hope they make profit with Tekken 8. Whilst 2mil is good, if the game and marketing budget combined is over 150mil then they would probably need to sell around 4mil at full price.

Klosshufvud

All the stages in Tekken 7 looked like upscaled PS2 era shit. The balance for Tekken 7 sucked day zero and still sucks to this day. The rage arts in Tekken 7 decided most matches, while the rage arts in Tekken 8 are a desperate gamble that barely pays off once in a blue moon. Rage Drive was a throwaway mechanic in Tekken 7 that was expanded into the versatile heat system in Tekken 8. There are also characters in Tekken 8 that excel in defensive play. Meanwhile, Akuma was the most despised opponent in Tekken 7. The electronic wubstep noises of Tekken 7 had people crying for the return of jukebox in every version not on the PS4 (where it was exclusive). While I agree arcade hub is redundant in Tekken 8, Tekken 7 had nothing worth diving into in the first place. FT2 is a common tournament standard, so I have no idea what you want. Online tournaments that end when the host loses? The phrase "you can't polish a turd" comes to mind, but lets agree to disagree. You can still choose to play Tekken 7, while I avoid it like a leper.

Tekken Bowl was repetitive, offline, and was costume bundled DLC that cost 14 USD. Tekken Ball is dynamic, it can be played online or offline and is completely free.
-The stages in T7 were wonderful. Mishima Building, Mishima Dojo and Infinite Azure to name a few. T8 stages are so bland and uninspired. A hangar...a city street and....a rooftop with a helicopter? They're also very cramped. The jungle stage has really weird ugly lightning to it making it lack that artistic punch of older Tekken games.

-The Rage Art was absolutely more contained than having Heat Activation AND Heat Smash which despite being blocked gives the attacker an advantage AND Rage Arts with the latter having even longer animation scenes now. Not to mention the added complexity of learning advantageous frames of a character in Heat.

-Akuma was overtuned but nowhere as oppressive as Victor (in lower ranks) and Dragunov, DJin and Jun (higher ranks) are.

-I agree some of the wubwub tracks were obnoxious but then we also got Precipice of Fate, Mishima Building and the Dojo themes. Absolute bangers and I've replaced the T8 OST almost wholly with T7 tracks

-FT2 does not work in an online condition where one mistake will cost you the round. They should have done what T7 did and allow infinite rematches so we could actually learn match ups instead of fostering fraudelent tricks to throw off players for the FT2.

-Most of all I miss playing a Tekken game without the obnoxious screen shakes, hit particles and camera shifts. T8 is headache inducing for more than an hour of play.

Yes let's agree to disagree.

The stages in T7 were wonderful. Mishima Building, Mishima Dojo and Infinite Azure to name a few.
Mishima Building was mostly an endless elevator with a dynamic skybox at the top of which the distracting 30fps robotic arms would continue animating thereby ruining the city scape. T8's Secluded Training Ground is T7's Mishima Dojo in all but name and Infinite Azure looks like an Unreal Engine skybox test. The only great stage in Tekken 7 is Howard Estate and that one is not even from Tekken. Meanwhile in Tekken 8 you have the uniquely unforgettable Descent into Subconcience and the beautiful Celebration on the Siene, which effortlessly blends elements of T5DR's Pool Party, TTT2's Riverside Promenade, and TTT2's Bountiful Sea. Also, every fighting game could use stages like Tekken 8's Urban Square, Coliseum of Fate, and Into the Stratosphere for added visual flair. Tekken 8 could certainly use some more great stages, but it easily has the best stage selection in recent memory.

Akuma was overtuned but nowhere as oppressive as Victor (in lower ranks) and Dragunov, DJin and Jun (higher ranks) are.
Tekken 7 tournaments consistently had characters banned. Fahkumram ring a bell? Who is going to ban Victor, Dragunov, Devil Jin, or Jun?

FT2 does not work in an online condition where one mistake will cost you the round. They should have done what T7 did and allow infinite rematches so we could actually learn match ups instead of fostering fraudelent tricks to throw off players for the FT2.
You can rematch more in player lobbies. Best of three rounds with the potential of three consecutive matches is enough for ranked in my opinion.

Yes let's agree to disagree.
No other way around it.

Last edited:
The King of Iron Fist reigns supreme! I haven't spent nearly as much time with it as I would of liked dividing my time between Yakuza 8 and now Helldivers 2 and Tomb Raider 1-3 but I've cleared the Story, cleared Arcade mode, had some online battles and did a good chunk of the character episodes. Simply put, it's the perfect fighting game package and boy does it look beautiful in action, hard hitting combat with supreme animations and unparalleled depth = win.

SSfox

Nice to hear.

Now it's gonna hard to find time with TR remaster that came, i really don't get the people that have time to play 10+ games per month

ReBurn

Gold Member

I mean, it's not completely free. Tekken 8 did cost 10 more bucks than Tekken 7.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
if the game and marketing budget combined is over 150mil
No fighting game has a budget of 150m lol, in the 360 era they wouldn't cost more than 10m, nowadays it's probably more around 25-30m.
I can see mk hitting something stupid like 50+m, but that's more because of all the celebrity and crossover nonsense.

Go_Ly_Dow

No fighting game has a budget of 150m lol, in the 360 era they wouldn't cost more than 10m, nowadays it's probably more around 25-30m.
I can see mk hitting something stupid like 50+m, but that's more because of all the celebrity and crossover nonsense.
Yeah I have no idea how much modern fighting game budgets are. But 50mil seems a bit low? Considering other AAA affairs are coming in at 200-300mil and now 300mil+.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Yeah I have no idea how much modern fighting game budgets are. But 50mil seems a bit low? Considering other AAA affairs are coming in at 200-300mil and now 300mil+.
Those numbers are outliers, Japanese devs don't get even remotely close to that in general, fighting games also have generally lower budgets than open world or cinematic games.

StereoVsn

Looks pretty good. I am waiting for a bit more content releases and a discount. I will grab it in a few months. Mainly play for SP content and some local play with my kids.

I mean, it's not completely free. Tekken 8 did cost 10 more bucks than Tekken 7.
By that logic, Scenario Campaign cost $10 in Tekken 6 because MSRP for Tekken 5 was $50. What about the people that bought Tekken 7 Deluxe? Did they get Tekken Ball for free? Also, I bought Tekken 8 for $50 by that logic does that mean Namco gave me a tenner for omitting some garbage from Tekken 7? The bottom line is you get Tekken Ball and Scenario Campaign for the price of admission and do not need to spend more money to play them. The same is not true for Tekken Bowl in Tekken 7.

Last edited:
Top Bottom