• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla drops Steam gaming support inside its vehicles

sendit

That was already the limit, and I don't think anything's indicated that was the reason for its removal?

Elon's been in hardcore cost cutting mode, maybe they were paying something for this and just cut it with low use

This is more likely the case. Additionally, Steam access was limited to the highend models, the Model S and X (also the Cybertruck I think). Majority of Tesla owners probably didn't even know this existed. Development isn't free.

Last edited:

Neilg

That was already the limit, and I don't think anything's indicated that was the reason for its removal?

Elon's been in hardcore cost cutting mode, maybe they were paying something for this and just cut it with low use
Yeah chances are they're just cutting the GPU in the car down to the bare minimum needed for the gui. It's a silly expense added because Elon thought it would be cool.

TheKratos

“You don’t like this car because you’re poor” lmao Teslas are totally mainstream dude and you get a tax break from uncle sucker for buying one, it’s not like every Tesla is a Plaid Edition.
Not everyone lives in the US. I know uncle same loves uncle musk there but in Europe the tax credits (subsidies) are peanuts and sometimes not even applicable.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Subscription, the car. That's why I don't want to move toward electric vehicles and why THEY want you to. Thinking of learning and practicing a martial art and just going full scooter. I mean, imagine having to pay for a fucking monthly service just to warm your ass? When the car you are using can do it, but you gotta pay to "unlock" the feature from being used? Fuck... I hate how we collectively take it deeper than Atlantis.
This isn't just electric vehicles, they do it in petrol and diesel powered cars too 🤦‍♂️

DCharlie

Banned
Ian Miles Chud will have a piece soon. Elon will be calling Gabe names and the rest of us realise that the idea that the worst of the nerd community are pricks.

All that remains is for Gabe to release an electric car with HL3 as an exclusive so we can end the era of gobshittery

All games should be dropped from Tesla, this is just madness.
It's useful when you're sitting at a charger for 30+ minutes, a convenient distraction while you're captive.

But I must concede: we have enough mobile gaming devices in the world that our cars don't need to power the games and I'd rather any and all money + time go toward upgrading the charging grid or enhancing battery levels.

Shifty1897

Subscription, the car. That's why I don't want to move toward electric vehicles and why THEY want you to. Thinking of learning and practicing a martial art and just going full scooter. I mean, imagine having to pay for a fucking monthly service just to warm your ass? When the car you are using can do it, but you gotta pay to "unlock" the feature from being used? Fuck... I hate how we collectively take it deeper than Atlantis.
That's not just an electric thing. Every manufacturer is moving to that, just not as quickly. Every new Mercedes has remote start installed but you have to subscribe to their app to use it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's useful when you're sitting at a charger for 30+ minutes, a convenient distraction while you're captive.

But I must concede: we have enough mobile gaming devices in the world that our cars don't need to power the games and I'd rather any and all money + time go toward upgrading the charging grid or enhancing battery levels.

What we really need is a way for cars to be able to get the power they need in only a few minutes. Maybe one day....

Top Bottom