• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thank you, Nintendo Switch

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Mario Galaxy 2 won't work without a real Wii remote with a sensor bar so we won't ever see it. Too much accuracy is necessary to control Yoshi. It's not just collecting star bits, it's linking together consecutive jumps.

WW's cartoon graphics didn't prevent WW HD on Wii U

Ah that's a good point.

I wasn't saying ww was hard to do, rather the HD version already looked great and wouldn't benefit much from a remaster/redo on switch.

nial

Gold Member
Research why it's 'failed'? How can anyone tell me what to like or not?
I love the console (WiiU) and I need a research?
As for graphics - everyone was obsessed with graphics because it's most important thing in gaming, nothings new.
Nintendo games look as perfect as they can on given platform.
????????? Who is telling you what you should like or not? I'm sure I'm not. I love the Wii U and can still recognize why it failed, it has nothing to do with personal preference.

BlackTron

Ah that's a good point.

I wasn't saying ww was hard to do, rather the HD version already looked great and wouldn't benefit much from a remaster/redo on switch.

I know you don't mean it was hard, just that there are tons of games that were already on Wii U that look no different on Switch, didn't stop them.

In my opinion the reason we don't have TP and WW on Switch...they simply tapped them too recently. They're old games with "disney vault" status that they don't want to spam too often. They "used them up" to throw the Wii U a bone. Will probably leapfrog onto Switch 2 I'm guessing...which is too bad but hey oh well. Maybe TP will get a full remake and so will OOT. Good lord if Switch 2 gets a full remake of OOT I'll crap myself

Wow thank you so much for the Gold gift whoever it was!!! That is so nice of you. I hope we all always have and enjoy videogames that make us happy & excited.

NmYgEjd.gif

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Mario Galaxy 2 won't work without a real Wii remote with a sensor bar so we won't ever see it. Too much accuracy is necessary to control Yoshi. It's not just collecting star bits, it's linking together consecutive jumps.

I’ve been trying to tell people this for five years. Somehow I never end up as eloquent as you when trying to explain it. I completely agree, though.

Last edited:
It's crazy to think that Iwata was still alive during Switch's (NX) development, that is how long it has been. Whatever comes next will be the first console that Iwata was not a part of since I guess the original Wii?

Got a Switch OLED not that long ago to play some of the Nintendo first party titles I had an interest in and some 3rd party exclusives as well (e.g. Zelda, Xenoblade, Metroid, Astral Chain, Bayonetta and SMT V). But since then it has become my main console for JRPGs, VNs and indies since they play perfectly in portable mode which is my preferred method of engaging with the Switch.

Overall I'm very happy with my Switch and am somewhat glad I've waited for the OLED model to come out before getting one as the build quality is considerably better than that of the standard models, including longer battery life which is important to me on a handheld.

Last edited:

Maestr0

Yes, the switch even underpowered is one of the greatest console, maybe the greatest, look at the PC industry taking note from Nintendo with the recent Steam Deck, and even more.

I just wished Satoru Iwata was still alive to see the success he brought with his team.

Last edited:

cireza

I do like the OLED model, but I could never get over the awful ergonomics, be it the "not a d-pad" and the having the right stick in the way of the buttons to the right.

Last edited:

Hudo

PS2 was and still is the best console Sony has ever made. The only complaint I have is that they fucked up with the PS2 "Slim", into which you couldn't put the hard drive to play FF11 Online. So you either had to move over to PC (which is what I did) or you kept playing on your old PS2 (mine stopped reading discs, so that wasn't an option anymore).

BlackTron

PS2 was and still is the best console Sony has ever made. The only complaint I have is that they fucked up with the PS2 "Slim", into which you couldn't put the hard drive to play FF11 Online. So you either had to move over to PC (which is what I did) or you kept playing on your old PS2 (mine stopped reading discs, so that wasn't an option anymore).

Just saying, at the end of PS2's, would it be that weird to say thanks for it while looking back at the run it had?

I know it's a bit cheesy but OP isn't literally thanking his physical Nintendo Switch system, he's expressing appreciation for the platform. And it makes more sense at the end than for say, PS5 which is in the middle of its run, so bad example IMO.

Hudo

Just saying, at the end of PS2's, would it be that weird to say thanks for it while looking back at the run it had?

I know it's a bit cheesy but OP isn't literally thanking his physical Nintendo Switch system, he's expressing appreciation for the platform. And it makes more sense at the end than for say, PS5 which is in the middle of its run, so bad example IMO.
I have to admit, I once thanked my motorcycle for coping with my somewhat poor attempt at an emergency break because of some asshole on the Autobahn once. Nothing happened; didn't fall over or anything. Just my heart pumping like hell.

Woopah

First 2 months? You are making a timeline up. If you subtract all Wii U games from the lineup, then many of the remaining games either don't sell as well or never even come out, because the system doesn't have the same sales or momentum from the Wii U games like BOTW and Mario Kart 8.
I was trying to make the point (which I think we agree on) that Switch benefited from having a cross gen title at launch and then MK8 DX (although I misremembered that MK came in Switch's 2nd month and not its 3rd).

But then imagine what would have happened if June 2017 - December 2017 saw Pokken DX as the only game released for the system.

Switch is a great system for what it is, just saying. Since I already had Wii U it wasn't as mind blowing as for most people. The first 1p game I ran out to buy after Odyssey was Links Awakening. A brand new remake. It is the port/remake machine.

That may very well be true for your personal taste. But in terms of actual sales, Switch would have fallen off had it not reicveed a steady stream of games which were not Wii U ports.

By the way you said U didn't have Smash but it did in fact have the first HD smash too. And I liked some things about it better than Ultimate. Ultimate was the same game with some tweaks and the end all roster.

I was pointing out that Switch got many major games that pushed hardware and were not Wii U ports. Smash Bros. Ultimate was one of the those titles, since it is a new game and not a port.

PS5 and XSX are much better in usability vs last Gen. Loading times, improved performance from cross gen games and current Gen only titles coming out make them much better proposition.

I mean if you have a solid gaming PC that's a diff story, but that will run you more then both (and Switch ) put together. Much better performance and flexibility of course.

I traded in my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro to get PS5/XSX and only basically paid around $200 each. It was definitely worth it.

Not to me, I have no desire to get a PS5/XSX

I'm fine with my Switch and guess what?

I have a gaming PC and it's about the power of the PS5. I had the PC for 7 to 8 years now. Right now I'm playing through Resident Evil 4 Remake

Also I love playing games with mods.

SO

MUCH

FUN

Last edited:

Yep it really is

Sony is just not the same

I really miss those days

BlackTron

I was trying to make the point (which I think we agree on) that Switch benefited from having a cross gen title at launch and then MK8 DX (although I misremembered that MK came in Switch's 2nd month and not its 3rd).

But then imagine what would have happened if June 2017 - December 2017 saw Pokken DX as the only game released for the system.

That may very well be true for your personal taste. But in terms of actual sales, Switch would have fallen off had it not reicveed a steady stream of games which were not Wii U ports.

I was pointing out that Switch got many major games that pushed hardware and were not Wii U ports. Smash Bros. Ultimate was one of the those titles, since it is a new game and not a port.

I think my sticking point here is that when we say "Switch was helped by a cross gen title and a port its first few months", it's disregarding that those games are best-sellers, system-movers, and pack-in games to this very day.

I'm not trying to prove why Wii U failed, just why Switch succeeded. I do believe the U games were both instrumental in gaining traction and smoothing out sales over the long tail. I mean titles like MK, BOTW and Mario U are N's flagship IP sellers for the system...beating out sales of newer original games, and they all came from Wii U, where they suffered and failed to attract enough momentum to the system (because the hardware/marketing was shit).

If Nintendo IP had attracted enough buyers to Wii U, its install base would have gained more momentum leading to more games heading there, leading to more sales as what happened on Switch. Yet the exact same IP leads the charge to victory on another better hardware with non-stupid marketing. That's the point I'm making.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm a massive Sony fanboy yet I've never once thought about thanking my Ps5, let alone writing an essay on the Internet.
We’re just built different.

Woopah

I think my sticking point here is that when we say "Switch was helped by a cross gen title and a port its first few months", it's disregarding that those games are best-sellers, system-movers, and pack-in games to this very day.
To be clear I'm not disregarding their importance with that point. I'm agree with you that BOTW and MK9 DX were hugely important for Switch.

I'm not trying to prove why Wii U failed, just why Switch succeeded. I do believe the U games were both instrumental in gaining traction and smoothing out sales over the long tail. I mean titles like MK, BOTW and Mario U are N's flagship IP sellers for the system...beating out sales of newer original games, and they all came from Wii U, where they suffered and failed to attract enough momentum to the system (because the hardware/marketing was shit).

If Nintendo IP had attracted enough buyers to Wii U, its install base would have gained more momentum leading to more games heading there, leading to more sales as what happened on Switch. Yet the exact same IP leads the charge to victory on another better hardware with non-stupid marketing. That's the point I'm making.
My counterpoint would be that the Wii U got some of the same IP, but overall it games far more slowly.

Lets say we kept the design and marketing the same, but switched the software. So that in the first 10 months the significant titles for each were:

Wii U
BOTW - Novemer 2012
Nintendo Land - November
Mario Kart 8 DX - Jan
Arms - Feb
Splatoon 2 - March
Mario Vs. Rabbids - April
Pokken DX - May
Mario Odyssey - June
Fire Emblem Warriors - July
Xenoblade 2 - September

Switch
Super Mario Bros. U - March 2017
1 2 Switch - March
Sing Party - March
Lego City Undercover - July
Game & Wario - October
Pikmin 3 - December
The Wonderful 101 - December

I think in that scenario, Wii U would have sold more than Switch during its opening months.

Last edited:

BlackTron

To be clear I'm not disregarding their importance with that point. I'm agree with you that BOTW and MK9 DX were hugely important for Switch.

Maybe I can make my point this way. Lets say we kept the design and marketing the same, but switched the software. So that in the first 10 months the first party linup for each was:

Wii U
BOTW
Nintendo Land
Mario Kart 8 DX
Arms
Splatoon 2
Pokken DX
Mario Odyssey
Fire Emblem Warriors
Xenoblade 2

Switch
Super Mario Bros. U
1 2 Switch
Sing Party
Lego City Undercover
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101`

I think in that scenario, Wii U would have sold more than Switch during its opening months.

I mean if you're trying to tell me U would have done better with more games earlier on, sure. Especially if it had BOTW. But it would have been unfortunate to hold the game back in that way. As we can see from other games like Mario Kart 8 or Mario 3D World doing much better and moving more systems than their old versions (regardless of when they came out).

Wii U getting a boost if it had its own software faster doesn't really change that Switch is built on its software. It's like they got a re-do with all the games already done.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
The september direct came and went, and the message was clear - this is the end of the Switch. The past 6 years, the Switch has given me so many wonderful, and surprising memories. And not just from playing the games, but from the Directs, E3’s , speculation, and various experiences. Here are my fond moments, and please, share yours, as we celebrate this wonderful generation , coming to an end.

-The reveal of the “NX” with that trailer of feeling ice cubes in the joycons (i was like NO WAY!! ) And it didn’t really turn out to be anything of substance 😆.
KEXcpOt.jpg

- E3 2016. My first and only e3 I went to. MIND BLOWN. Breath of the wild had TAKEN OVER. The whole Nintendo area was like stepping into the game. Playing it was amazing, looked stunning, lush world, even though all you did was run around the plateau for a few minutes.
pFYkyqQ.jpg

-THAT Zelda trailer. Oh man. To this day, i think its the greatest videogame trailer ever made. But then…

-Playing and beating breath of the wild. All those amazing scenes from the trailer? All memories. Man I ended up so disappointed by BOTW. I missed the unique weapons, music, classic 3D Zelda But as time went on, I realized the adventure was the journey. Kept replaying and grew to enjoy it.

- The reveal of Smash Bros Ultimate. My God. All those various Directs, character reveals, stages (FF7 in Smash???!!!). A game we will NEVER get again to this amount of various IP, a true celebration of all iconic videogames.
51XJYdW.jpg

- Mario Odyssey. I cannot believe this experience. From turning into a freakin dinosaur, to the awesome motion boxing battles with bowser, the wonderful song in new donk city, to playing as bowser and visiting N64 peach castle?! I never thought mario galaxy could be rivaled. I was wrong.
cf46RWC.jpg

-the click noise used in every direct from attatching the joycons. So satisfying.

- the joycon drift. Horrible. Had to get mine fixed. Couldn’t believe it was real.

- metroid dread. Oh man. This was one of those games that made you a master at the controls and becoming a badass bounty hunter. They freakin did it. Super metroid feelings came back. It was like learning to play the piano and becoming a legend. Felt amazing. One of my fave of all time.

-The reveal of the Links Awakening remake. I remember seeing that redone animation intro, and I was like no freakin way!!! Then the actual gameplay animation was so charming! Great game minus the slowdown.
cQNjX8h.jpg

-Switch pro leaks and rumors. I would love to some day hear the behind the scenes story on this thing. Exciting. Then a letdown. Canceled. Covid. Chip shortage. This whole thing, the system, the dark days, its all one story. Switch was a part of our covid lives. Animal Crossing became the title of covid refuge.

-The (continuing) wish to have Wind Waker portable 😭 ….

- Tears of the kingdom. I, who wasn’t to fond of BOTW, wasnt expecting to have TOTK become one of my Greatest Of All Time games. But here we are. Ganondorf was back. The possibilities of the gameplay. The story. I was so invested. Bought the oled zelda switch (this thing looks so damn good), amiibo’s, pro controller. I was all in. And I will never forget this experience for the rest of my life.
W9yXuMl.jpg

And so we come to this end of Switch direct. Super Mario Wonder, I have a feeling, will join the top tier experiences of this generation. I will really enjoy mario rpg remake. Paper mario TYD. This September Direct dissapointed me, but then I realised it signaled the end of the Switch, & the begining of the next generation.

With all the leaks of the Switch 2 capabilities, I am really excited for the future. Give me an Ocarina of Time remake with raytracing. ALL 3rd party games, portable and beautiful. Metroid, Mario, all these in glorious graphics, portable, oh man I cannot wait. Feeling like Nintendo has caught up visually to the competition is something I haven’t felt since the gamecube (I hope its true)
u8dVLMl.jpg

And above all else, regarding the Switch,I will forever have all these amazing games (includiing a ton I haven’t mentioned like RE4) , fond memories, to replay PORTABLE for the rest of my years. And for that, I am greatful.

Thank you, Nintendo Switch.

I think you got lost. Here's the way back ==> https://www.reddit.com/

Sleepwalker

Correct me if im wrong but isnt Mario Galaxy 2 totally playable on PC with a regular controller? Granted its been a while but I looked into it and found people have had a lot of success with controller profiles and gyro, even for the Yoshi sections.

Im sure Nintendo could do it with a bit of effort.

Last edited:
Yeah, it reminded me a lot of the September 2016 Direct that was all 3DS games. It was like “look at all these things still coming!” “Isn’t it great?!”. Yeah, a lot of very, very fan-servicey games, for sure. Closing out the fiscal year with a Princess Peach-specific game, and the big One More Thing was a remake of a beloved GameCube Paper Mario game. Definitely an indication they are holding the big guns for 2024 to coincide with new hardware.

I have to say though, there’s a lot of really great games coming in the next 6-9 months. So as avid Switch fans we are all eating good the next several months. And we’ll be ready for whatever’s coming Fall 2024!

Great time to be a Nintendo fan. TTYD reveal was like a true Holy Shit moment, and I’m sure it wasn’t just me. Inject that shit directly into my veins.

BlackTron

Correct me if im wrong but isnt Mario Galaxy 2 totally playable on PC with a regular controller? Granted its been a while but I looked into it and found people have had a lot of success with controller profiles and gyro, even for the Yoshi sections.

Im sure Nintendo could do it with a bit of effort.

Based on personal experience playing Mario Galaxy 2 and using gyro controls in many games, no, it's not a sufficient input method for an official release that Nintendo expects everyone to use, and it can't be fixed in software.

Yeah, it reminded me a lot of the September 2016 Direct that was all 3DS games. It was like “look at all these things still coming!” “Isn’t it great?!”. Yeah, a lot of very, very fan-servicey games, for sure. Closing out the fiscal year with a Princess Peach-specific game, and the big One More Thing was a remake of a beloved GameCube Paper Mario game. Definitely an indication they are holding the big guns for 2024 to coincide with new hardware.

I have to say though, there’s a lot of really great games coming in the next 6-9 months. So as avid Switch fans we are all eating good the next several months. And we’ll be ready for whatever’s coming Fall 2024!

Great time to be a Nintendo fan. TTYD reveal was like a true Holy Shit moment, and I’m sure it wasn’t just me. Inject that shit directly into my veins.
I actually own TYD on Gamecube but I’ve only played about 1 hour into it (and its annoying to setup the wii to get a gamecube game running on it). So this will be a new experience for me. Very excited. Its possible it’ll be a crossgen release though.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Bought a wiiu for 130$ and got my Nintendo fix. didn't need to pay for 60$ for wiiu games or 300$ for a handheld i didn't want. I Don't like handheld gaming. Switch is probably the weakest Nintendo console ever for me. Till totk you could basically get the whole experience on wiiu lol. Just mostly wiiu ports at full price.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Bought a wiiu for 130$ and got my Nintendo fix. didn't need to pay for 60$ for wiiu games or 300$ for a handheld i didn't want. I Don't like handheld gaming. Switch is probably the weakest Nintendo console ever for me. Till totk you could basically get the whole experience on wiiu lol. Just mostly wiiu ports at full price.

First N system I didn't buy at launch but they did have me by the balls with Odyssey. Even though I like 3D World's gameplay more, they're both must play for me. Ultimately glad I bought in early to maximize the value over the life of the system. At this point I wouldn't know what to do except vainly hope that N is about to announce Switch 2 :)

zeldaring

Banned
First N system I didn't buy at launch but they did have me by the balls with Odyssey. Even though I like 3D World's gameplay more, they're both must play for me. Ultimately glad I bought in early to maximize the value over the life of the system. At this point I wouldn't know what to do except vainly hope that N is about to announce Switch 2 :)
What you mean you wouldn't know what to do lol.

Top Bottom