• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2009 Grammy Nominees Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

btkadams

AmMortal said:
fuck this.

Reckoner should be enough for every other song on the fucking list to be thrown to the dogs.

How the hell is radiohead in the same list as Lil wayne?!

fuck this
i'm sorry but just because you don't like rap doesn't mean lil wayne isn't deserving of any awards. he is a very good rapper and his cd was extremely well done.

BTW: i don't like lil wayne or even rap for that matter, but i listened to his album and thought some of it was quite good. and im talking about the non-single songs the most.

AmMortal

Banned
esbern said:
shhh, don't mention that house of cards is garbage and there are 9 better songs on the album, or a bunch of fuckwits will come troll you with witty replies

I'd have to agree with you. There's other songs that are of a far better quality. for instance,Nude is amazing

btkadams said:
i'm sorry but just because you don't like rap doesn't mean lil wayne isn't deserving of any awards. he is a very good rapper and his cd was extremely well done.

BTW: i don't like lil wayne or even rap for that matter, but i listened to his album and thought some of it was quite good. and im talking about the non-single songs the most.

Correction, I used to like rap. But then that sojaboi and south shit started happening, and I was out. Now, I only return, when NAS or Mos Def or Common or Wu-tang,realize some of that hot shit is needed.

Oh, and I forgot, Kanye West's doucheness contributes aswell. In fact, the only good thing in rap these few years is Lupe Fiasco.

Just because he wears some weird shit, don't make him cool :lol

Imm0rt4l

Lupe better fucking win Rap album of the year. The only other good album on that list was American Gangster, but it aint seeing the cool. If Lil Wayne wins that shit, then their is no God.

btkadams

AmMortal said:
I'd have to agree with you. There's other songs that are of a far better quality. for instance,Nude is amazing

Correction, I used to like rap. But then that sojaboi and south shit started happening, and I was out. Now, I only return, when NAS or Mos Def or Common or Wu-tang,realize some of that hot shit is needed.

Oh, and I forgot, Kanye West's doucheness contributes aswell. In fact, the only good thing in rap these few years is Lupe Fiasco.

IMO Kanye is a fantastic producer, but a terrible rapper. don't hate, its just my opinion people.

Imm0rt4l

btkadams said:
IMO Kanye is a fantastic producer, but a terrible rapper. don't hate, its just my opinion people.

gotta agree with this opinion,He's a great producer, wouldn't say he's a terrible rapper, but he's mediocre. See his "diamonds are forever", then compare Lupe rapping over his beat "Conflict Diamonds". One destroys the track, and it isn't Yay.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
AmMortal said:

Quit hatin' the south.

Oh, and LOL @ the notion that Lupe fucking Fiasco is the only good thing in rap recently.

It's pretty silly that In Rainbows is on for this year. It came out October '07 but what, they have to wait for a physical disc?

Whatever year, that should win.

AmMortal

Banned
Dr. Strangelove said:
Quit hatin' the south.

Oh, and LOL @ the notion that Lupe fucking Fiasco is the only good thing in rap recently.

Seriously?

Chicken noodle soup with a soda on the side?

The most degrading shit I've seen in a loong while.

Imm0rt4l

Dr. Strangelove said:
Quit hatin' the south.

definitely not the only good thing in rap recently, but definitely the only good thing in the rap categories noms.

AmMortal said:
Seriously?

Chicken noodle soup with a soda on the side?

The most degrading shit I've seen in a loong while.
that's east coast....

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
AmMortal said:
Yeah, none of these guys have dropped a hot album in like a decade. There's been tons of great albums coming out of the south the last couple years, and with just a couple exceptions, they're far hotter than almost everything else coming out.

Imm0rt4l

Lambtron said:
Yeah, none of these guys have dropped a hot album in like a decade. There's been tons of great albums coming out of the south the last couple years, and with just a couple exceptions, they're far hotter than almost everything else coming out.

all of em' have dropped albums within the last year, with the exception of mos who dropped 2 years ago.

Judderman said:
Coldplay, Viva La Vida
Radiohead, In Rainbows
Daft Punk, "Harder Better Faster Stronger"
Madonna, "Give It 2 Me"
Kylie Minogue, X
Disturbed, "Inside The Fire"
Judas Priest, "Visions"
Motley Crue, "Saints Of Los Angeles"
Rob Zombie, "Lords Of Salem"
Metallica, "My Apocalypse"
Slipknot, "Psychosocial"
Pink, "So What"
Paul McCartney, "That Was Me"
Eagles, "Waiting In The Weeds"
Jay-Z, American Gangster
Boyz II Men, "Ribbon In The Sky"
Bruce Springsteen, "Girls In Their Summer Clothes"
Mamma Mia!

I like how this list could just as easily been from 1998.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
jamesinclair said:
:lol

I still can't believe the killers have had 7 nom's and haven't won once. Unbelievable. Hopefully next year

The Grammys are about ratings and sales. It has nothing to do with quality music. Lil Wayne nominated for album of the year? Jonas Brothers as best new artist?

Oh well, at least Lupe is getting some recognition

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
PhoenixDark said:
The Grammys are about ratings and sales. It has nothing to do with quality music. Lil Wayne nominated for album of the year? Jonas Brothers as best new artist?

Oh well, at least Lupe is getting some recognition
Not fully true. I had a high school teacher who got to vote for the grammys every year because her husband was a children's music writer. They always voted on quality and knew many others who did as well.

Threi said:
yeah rap music sucks balls.

btw what the fuck is a lupe fiasco?

Rap sucks balls? Huh

Anyway the rap nominations are pretty weak to say the least. I like Lupe but to say he's the only good thing in hip hop is too pretentious. There's plenty of good hip hop out there, it's just not in the radio. Interestingly I haven't heard many hip hop albums this year. Last year had some great releases (Y Society and Blu & Exile especially)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
BEST HARD ROCK PERFORMANCE
Judas Priest, "Visions"
The Mars Volta, "Wax Simulacra"

Yeah, they got no chance but I like the recognition.

Ethereal

The fact that the Jonas Brothers got nominated for Best New Artist makes me want to throw up, drink my vomit, and then throw it up again. When I was forced to watch them perform at Halftime on Thanksgiving Day I don't think they were even actually playing/singing. Pure drivel

DMczaf

Best Score Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
(Award to Composer(s) for an original score created specifically for, or as a companion to, a current legitimate motion picture, television show or series or other visual media.)

* The Dark Knight
James Newton Howard & Hans Zimmer, composers
[Warner Sunset/Warner Bros.]

F YEAH!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Imm0rt4l said:
all of em' have dropped albums within the last year, with the exception of mos who dropped 2 years ago.
Please re-read my statement. I've bolded for emphasis.

Lambtron said:
Yeah, none of these guys have dropped a hot album in like a decade.
Just sayin'.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
jamesinclair said:

Yeah, once you remove the 'rap' artists.

Flo-Rida... Grammy nominated. :lol

Mau ®

I recognize all names on the list, so there must be something wrong!

Its cool that Robyn got a nom though.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Lambtron said:

Just sayin'.
You're statement is still ridiculous. "Be", "Pro Tools" (GZA), "The New Danger", "God's Son" all cam eout within the best decade and Pro Tools came out this August.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
SoulPlaya said:
You're statement is still ridiculous. "Be", "Pro Tools" (GZA), "The New Danger", "God's Son" all cam eout within the best decade and Pro Tools came out this August.
Pro Tools was dreadfully boring, and I love GZA. I will give credit to God's Son though-- it's a decent album overall. Also, if you're going to single out a member from the Wu-Tang Clan (who have sucked as a unit for a loooong time now), why GZA? Ghostface has been far better in recent years.

Imm0rt4l

Lambtron said:

Just sayin'.
I concede the point, I didn't like any of those albums. BUT I'd argue that while all of there most recent albums sucked ass, they still have albums within the last decade that were hot.

*bumps the New Danger.

Imm0rt4l

Chamber said:
BEST HARD ROCK PERFORMANCE
Judas Priest, "Visions"
The Mars Volta, "Wax Simulacra"

Yeah, they got no chance but I like the recognition.
oh shit didn't even notice Volta got a nod.

Threi

notag
Imm0rt4l said:
why do you care since he's a rapper?
oh hes a rapper?

probably talks about grillz and gunz and hoez and stupid crap.

I am not even going to look up any songs from him since my prejudged notions on the genre prove without a doubt that he falls into the stereotype and thus I am justified believing it.

Imm0rt4l

Threi said:
oh hes a rapper?

probably talks about grillz and gunz and hoez and stupid crap.

nah he's worse. He raps about Zombie hustlers and walking project buildings like they're Gundams or some shit. I think he's a crack head like that Edgar Allen Poe guy.

Oozer3993

Judderman said:
BEST RAP PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP
Big Boi feat. Raekwon & Andre 3000, "Royal Flush"
(Taylor couldn't pronounce "Raekwon" quite right. Aw.)
T.I. feat. Kanye West & Lil Wayne, "Swagger Like Us"
Lil Wayne feat. Jay-Z, "Mr Carter"
Ludacris feat. T.I., "Wish You Would"
Young Jeezy feat. Kanye West, "Put On"

:lol +1 respect for Judder

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Dr. Strangelove said:
Pro Tools was dreadfully boring, and I love GZA. I will give credit to God's Son though-- it's a decent album overall. Also, if you're going to single out a member from the Wu-Tang Clan (who have sucked as a unit for a loooong time now), why GZA? Ghostface has been far better in recent years.
Oh, don't get me wrong, Ghostface is definitley my favorite member but I thought "Pro Tools" was great. Plus, it just came out a few months ago and Big Doe Rehab, I felt, was a bit lacking. But I disagree to an extent about your WTC statement, I mean, I thought "8 Diagrams" was decent. BTW, God's Son was amazing, one of the most personal albums in Hip-Hop history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom