• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The assassination of Kara Lynne by the cowards at Limited Run Games

Doczu

I think this is true. Activists have done more damage to the community than someone like JK Rowling has done or ever will do.
Correct
They just like the adrenaline rush of getting someone fired. Makes them feel powerful. Possibly someone who's been an outcast their entire lives and now has found an avenue to make society pay by using personal identity and victimhood as a weapon.
Bingo!

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
This is thoughtcrime level stuff - very bad decision from LRG. The irony of so many people who talk about unionising and fighting for workers rights also wanting companies to have unilateral power to sack staff when it's good for PR. You can't have a democracy in a country where free expression can cost you your livelihood.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'm an actual progressive, one of the more progressive people here...

This shit is fucking stupid. Just taking shit way too far... if you are a public persona for your job, yes your social media history is at play.. but 1 fucking tweet that wasn't in itself really that offensive other than being idiotic and some follows?

I mean I wouldn't be itching to be friends with anyone who follows LibsOfTikTok and Iam Miles Chong, but if they aren't acting any type of way at work.. they shouldn't be losing their jobs over it.

Needlecrash

Yesterday I was perma banned from r/gamingcirclejerk and then reported for "harrasment" and making the comunity feel "unsafe" because I posted that I was excited for Hogwarts Legacy and that it was going to be amazing. What a terrible loss for me!/s.
You can't be serious...wow. "OMG I PRE-ORDERED A GAME THAT I SHOULDN'T HAVE! MUH SECURITY!!" Fucking hell.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Curious but what is the evidence of the pedophilia? I saw reference to "old Tumblr posts" but couldn't find anything.

Also, I hate social media, lol. Thank God I don't use Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, etc...

I saw some Twitter screencaps (dunno if real or faked) from 2017 where she was essentially arguing that teenagers can chose and statutory rape as a concept oppressed a whole segment of the population by saying that teenagers can’t chose who to have sex with.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Yesterday I was perma banned from r/gamingcirclejerk and then reported for "harrasment" and making the comunity feel "unsafe" because I posted that I was excited for Hogwarts Legacy and that it was going to be amazing. What a terrible loss for me!/s.
Was it a comment or a post? Curious if certain communities have banned talk about the game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
These people are batshit insane. First world problems and the utmost height of comfort and privilege in the human race. Not even king's and queen's 300+ years ago had this much safety and luxury.

Needlecrash

Yeah. It happened within 5 minutes of posting. I do not know if that is a record or not, but I feel honored all the same.
Ridiculous. This reminds of Kingdom Come: Deliverance; how the developers got SO much backlash because there weren't any Black people in the game. They were going off of their historical content (Poland I think) and they basically said "FUCK OFF" and it wound up selling a lot of copies.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm not gonna buy the game (probably) but I'm highly expecting its release, I want to see this cultural battle because, to be honest, the release window is gonna be a cultural battlefield whether we like it or not... I want to see how are the press going to talk about the game in a way that minimal small tiny minority of offended people won't cry.

Also, if the game ends up being very good, I can't see it receiving any GOTY, but this is the year of Zelda so I probably wouldn't anyway lol

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
I'm not gonna buy the game (probably) but I'm highly expecting its release, I want to see this cultural battle because, to be honest, the release window is gonna be a cultural battlefield whether we like it or not.

Also, if the game ends up being very good, I can't see it receiving any GOTY, but this is the year of Zelda so I probably wouldn't anyway lol
I would like to buy it, but will not be able to for a good amount of time, which is sure to toughen the nipples of the haters knowing that I can't purchase the game at launch and in the coming month when it sales get counted more so than later. Oh well. I will get it someday and try not to buy used.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I would like to buy it, but will not be able to for a good amount of time, which is sure to toughen the nipples of the haters knowing that I can't purchase the game at launch and in the coming month when it sales get counted more so than later. Oh well. I will get it someday and try not to buy used.
Yeah, myself too... BTW I updated the quoted post, you were too quick for me haha

Orta

Banned
Activists have done more damage to the community than someone like JK Rowling has done or ever will do.

I wonder if she would be interested in this ridiculous situation should somebody tweet an article to her. 14 million followers, should be enough to bury LRG.

I don’t think LRG should be harassed for this. Criticize them if you want. Stop buying their releases. But I don’t support harassment campaigns against anyone. If Elon jumps on this story, with 100 million followers, you’re gonna have a lot of people doing crazy shit.
Yeah I'm not saying he should, just saying I'm surprised he hasn't. He has jumped on much more trivial and stupid things than this.

Astral Dog

omg people are batshit insane

Ironically, i uninstalled Reddit after i got fed up with their blatant xenophobia when the Helena Taylor thing happened, and overall negativity in some of their communities those are not people i ever want to discuss games with, although sometimes i miss the funny cat pics 🐈🐕

And the Harry Potter brand is not even transphobic or offensive, remember when everybody made a big deal when Dumbledore 'came out' as Gay, now he is a transphobic Nazi Bigot

Just saw this on Reddit

j1R5LfN.png

https://imgur.io/KaJJkjA

https://imgur.io/GFe6M9H

Also, I think the idea of LRG going under after this is a tad overblown... They'll survive this scandal... People will forget about it in time, and it will eventually boil over.

LRG are owned by Embracer who have some fairly big pockets. They're not going anywhere.

I mean... If you think about it... Neogaf had a few scandals... And it's survived all of those.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just saw this on Reddit

j1R5LfN.png

Also, I think the idea of LRG going under after this is a tad overblown... They'll survive this scandal... People will forget about it in time, and it will eventually boil over.

LRG are owned by Embracer who have some fairly big pockets. They're not going anywhere.

I mean... If you think about it... Neogaf had a few scandals... And it's survived all of those.
"Pristine as a Japanese Idol."

Irony so thick, you can cut it with a Ginsu.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Just saw this on Reddit

j1R5LfN.png

Having a benign opinion about transitioning and following people on social media should not in any way(to sane people, anyway) make someone viewed as "impure"

It's not like this person was let go because they were accused of sexual assault and LRG didn't want to employ someone with such damaging accusations, even if it hasn't been proven in a court of law. This is nothing. And no sane person would consider this person toxic over such nonsense. This is more about cowardice than it is about maintaining an image.

Last edited:
Just saw this on Reddit

j1R5LfN.png

Ok so what is the evidence that made the business partners want to have her fired? Saying "LRG didn't fire her over one tweet, LRG fired her because game publishers and other business partners wanted her fired because of one tweet" isn't exactly a better look.

-Zelda-

Banned
What was the topic, just curious.
I can't remember specifics, but it was one of the many threads bashing the game, and anyone who buys it. I think it had a meme image attatched to it, but it all blurred together at some point. Sorry that is not really helpful.

And the Harry Potter brand is not even transphobic or offensive, remember when everybody made a big deal when Dumbledore 'came out' as Gay, now he is a transphobic Nazi Bigot

The big irony is that most of the screechers probably got their current stance on things from Harry Potter's hamfisted nazi allegories back in the day, since they have no education beyond children's movies and comic books.

Last edited:

Doczu

What is this shit? Those imgur links are supposed to be evidence? I made better quality screenshots in 2002, and to the topic - there's nothing there. Just the same reply to two other dudes stating "there was more than the tweet". More what? More where? It wsn't public, so draging someones private shit is not cool.

FBeeEye

Banned
Just saw this on Reddit

j1R5LfN.png

Reddit is the yeast-infected taint of the Internet. It makes Era look like a reasonable and balanced place. That reads like damage control from another mentally ill degenerate.

Dane

Just saw this on Reddit

j1R5LfN.png

Embracer for what i've seen is the most "who cares, lol" company, only ESG and other cult morons could have demanded this before.

Astral Dog

What is this shit? Those imgur links are supposed to be evidence? I made better quality screenshots in 2002, and to the topic - there's nothing there. Just the same reply to two other dudes stating "there was more than the tweet". More what? More where? It wsn't public, so draging someones private shit is not cool.
Its not surprising they want to paint her as problematic to save face, but without real proof this won't go anywhere.its all very vague stuff someone heard someone said somewhere to wink at a certain audience and imply she got what she deserved and the company is without fault

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member

Basically you're Mussolini.

Ok so what is the evidence that made the business partners want to have her fired? Saying "LRG didn't fire her over one tweet, LRG fired her because game publishers and other business partners wanted her fired because of one tweet" isn't exactly a better look.

Exactly. That's actually worse. They knew about it and kept her there for how long, before a random tweet from a kid's butt tester. Doesn't pass the smell meter. Have a backbone or bring receipts.

To be fair, pre-transistion they probably commit suicide because they aren't happy in ther current body. Post-transistion they probably commit suicide because society is freaked out by men in dresses and skirts pretending to be women, that do not even pass as women no matter how hard they try. It's a fucked up situation either way and i feel deeply sorry for these individuals...it must be hell for them one way or the other. The best we can do is be tolerant and understanding even though we might be a little bit freaked out by them.
One could also easily argue that the suicide is so high after surgery is not because of any society backlash, cause really they have more support than ever before and those who disagree with this big trans push are mostly of the "you leave me alone, I leave you alone" crowd. I'd speculate the cause is that many were not even trans to begin with and have now just changed their body permanently, yet still feel the same way about themselves. Now, they're stuck in an unfamiliar body, even though doctors told them that this big change would be the cure. You also have those who are deeply depressed and may hold a different stance on issues than the majority (or what social media makes them feel is the majority) of the trans community, and can't handle the backlash.

That last one is what happened to Dave Chappelle's trans friend, Daphne.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It could just be a mod power tripping rather then the community banning discussion of the game. Which is more then likely with what has been going on with r/Art.

mods run reddits, not the communities. if conversation has been banned it's because the mods want it that way.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Woha Hitler, I’m literally shaking right now

recursive

Well, see that there's speculation. The smart business decision at the time with the information they had was to can her. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.
Do you work in a professional capacity? Normally a HR inestigatigation takes months in a reputable company to build a solid case to terminate an employee. This shithole of a company reacted to twitter nonsense from a pedo and fired someone immediately. Why defend this nonsense?

recursive

I think that would be a hard sell about the first tweet, but otherwise I agree that there should have been an actual investigation into all sides of this situation, not the five minutes it seems they took. I'd say investigate the matter, see if their employee still agreed with the 7 year old tweet (they probably don't), look into the person making the accusation (wow, would that have helped), and then release a statement saying that their employee no longer holds these views, that people need to be allowed to grow, but come up with some sort of lame punishment and / or sensitivity training for optics. Maybe throw some money at a trans charity, preferably one that doesn't help transition children, as that's really the hot button issue here.

Most importantly, never mention who she was following or respond to that element of the story. If they don't agree that they should fire people based on who they follow (which does not equal endorsement), then never even comment on it. Get her to remove anyone remotely divisive from her follows, and then back to business as usual.

Instead they just reminded everyone of how stupid and intolerant Disney looked when they fired James Gunn over his old tweets. Also LOTS of people aren't comfortable with certain aspects of children being given hormone blockers and such, and they basically told all of them "you might think you're protecting kids, but we think you are horrible people, and we don't want your money!" And then you forget about all those people, and just think of the people angry that a company would FIRE someone over a 7 year old tweet.

Combine the two and that's a lot of angry people. That doesn't seem like the best option when it comes to not losing customers.
What if the employee still held the beliefs? Who is the final arbiter of what is right and wrong? These gender politics are ridiculous.

Don't ever let people shit on you for not buying 'product' at full price, for any reason. Most AAA games aren't worth $60 IMO, let alone $70.

TheGrat1

LMAO @ "Unsafe" First world problems at it's finest. There are people in this world born into perpetually war torn hellholes and who never have enough food to eat no matter what they do. Imagine explaining to those people that you felt "unsafe" because someone said they were excited for a game based on an IP someone you hate created. They would look at you like you were from fucking Mars.

I understand it was not you who said those things, Zelda.

Last edited:

Rhazkul

I wouldn't be itching to be friends with anyone who follows LibsOfTikTok

What's wrong with LOTT? And why don't you wanna be friends with someone who follows LOTT? LOTT itself isn't doing anything wrong, they're just shining the spotlight on freaks who happen to be on the left side of things. I am sure the left has a counterpart who shines a spotlight on right-wing crazies (SPLCenter and ADL comes to mind).

Top Bottom