• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Atlantic: Multiple Lovers, Without Jealousy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

This is a feature on The Atlantic's website and I thought people would find it interesting, given how much interest there seems to be in screaming and bickering about calmly and politely discussing various forms of open relationships.

The following is just a selection of quotes I found interesting; for fuller context I recommend reading the article. If you're going to participate, I insist upon it. There are also links in the article to further articles which may answer questions you have about specific bits of information.

Multiple Lovers, Without Jealousy

Polyamorous people still face plenty of stigmas, but some studies suggest they handle certain relationship challenges better than monogamous people do.

On one form of polyamory:

When I met Jonica Hunter, Sarah Taub, and Michael Rios on a typical weekday afternoon in their tidy duplex in Northern Virginia, a very small part of me worried they might try to convert me.

All three live there together, but they aren’t roommates—they’re lovers.

Or rather, Jonica and Michael are. And Sarah and Michael are. And so are Sarah and whomever she happens to bring home some weekends. And Michael and whomever he might be courting. They’re polyamorous.

Michael is 65, and he has a chinstrap beard that makes him look like he just walked off an Amish homestead. Jonica is 27, with close-cropped hair, a pointed chin, and a quiet air. Sarah is 46 and has an Earth Motherly demeanor that put me at relative ease.

Together, they form a polyamorous “triad”— one of the many formations that’s possible in this jellyfish of a sexual preference. “There’s no one way to do polyamory” is a common refrain in “the community.” Polyamory—which literally means “many loves”—can involve any number of people, either cohabiting or not, sometimes all having sex with each other, and sometimes just in couples within the larger group.

On jealousy

I initially expected the polyamorous people I met to tell me that there were times their relationships made them sick with envy. After all, how could someone listen to his significant other’s stories of tragedy and conquest in the dating world, as Michael regularly does for Sarah, and not feel possessive? But it became clear to me that for “polys,” as they’re sometimes known, jealousy is more of an internal, negligible feeling than a partner-induced, important one. To them, it’s more like a passing head cold than a tumor spreading through the relationship.

Of the three people living in the Northern Virginia duplex, Sarah volunteers that she’s the one most prone to jealousy. “It can be about feeling like you’re not special, or feeling like this thing belonged to me and now someone’s taken it.”

She said it was rough for her when Jonica first moved in. Sarah had been accustomed to seeing Michael whenever she wanted, but she started to feel a pang when he spent time with Jonica.

“At first I thought, ‘Is something bad happening, something I don’t want to support?” she said. “No, I want to support Michael and Jonica in being together. From there, I look at my own reaction. I can be an anxious person, so maybe I was feeling anxious. I find other ways of getting grounded. I might go for a walk or play guitar.

“It’s part of learning a healthy self-awareness and the ability to self-soothe,” she added. “I notice what I’m feeling, and do a dive inward.”

On sorts of people are polys:

Increasingly, polyamorous people—not to be confused with the prairie-dress-clad fundamentalist polygamists—are all around us. By some estimates, there are now roughly a half-million polyamorous relationships in the U.S., though underreporting is common. Some sex researchers put the number even higher, at 4 to 5 percent of all adults, or 10 to 12 million people. More often than not, they’re just office workers who find standard picket-fence partnerships dull. Or, like Sarah, they’re bisexuals trying to fulfill both halves of their sexual identities. Or they’re long-term couples who don’t happen to think sexual exclusivity is the key to intimacy.

On differentiating swingers and polys, relationships to other subcultures, and unicorns:

Elisabeth Sheff, a sociologist who interviewed 40 polyamorous people over the course of several years for her recent book, The Polyamorists Next Door, says that polyamorous configurations with more than three people tend to be rarer and have more turnover. “Polys” are more likely to be liberal and educated, she said, and in the rare cases that they do practice religion, it’s usually paganism or Unitarian Universalism.

Polys differentiate themselves from swingers because they are emotionally, not just sexually, involved with the other partners they date. And polyamorous arrangements are not quite the same as “open relationships” because in polyamory, the third or fourth or fifth partner is just as integral to the relationship as the first two are.

Polyamory overlaps somewhat with geek culture, such as cosplay, or the kink world, such as BDSM. Many couples who become interested in polyamory start by looking for a single, bisexual woman to add to the relationship. In fact, this quest has become so common (and its object has remained so elusive) that it’s known as “hunting the unicorn.”

But Sheff cautions that once said unicorn is caught, “the men are sometimes not as well-tended as they hoped to be. During the actual sex, the women get interested in each other, and the men describe it as ‘not all that.’”

Even many devout monogamists admit that it can be hard for one partner to supply the full smorgasbord of the other’s sexual and emotional needs. When critics decry polys as escapists who have simply “gotten bored” in traditional relationships, polys counter that the more people they can draw close to them, the more self-actualized they can be.

On compersion:

When Erin and Bill meet a man they like, all three go out together, with the two men sitting on either side of Erin and holding one of each of her hands.

Bill says watching his wife have sex with another man is anything but unsettling. Instead, it sometimes induces compersion—the poly principle of basking in the joy of a partner’s success in romance, just as you would with his or her success in work or sports.

“There are so many societal norms that say, ‘He looked the wrong way at someone so I’m gonna go all Carrie Underwood on his vehicle,’” Erin said. “Polyamory is about the idea that having their undivided attention isn’t the end all, be all.”

On the sources of stigma:

Though some ancient civilizations permitted polygamy, or multiple wives, the idea of monogamous marriage has been deeply rooted in Western society since the time of the Ancient Greeks. (Although monogamous Hellenic men were free to have their way with their male and female slaves.)

Monogamy quickly became the norm—and social norms influence our psychology. The process of adhering to social rules and punishing rule violators tickles the reward circuits of our brains. Some studies suggest that each time you think to yourself that polyamory is icky, an oxytocin molecule gets its wings.

On the children of polys:

Polyamory might seem like the bailiwick of the young and carefree, but many of its practitioners have children. The idea of parents having live-in third, fourth, or fifth partners isn’t frowned upon.

Bill and Erin don’t hide their outside relationships from Erin’s 17-year-old daughter. One day, the couple was watching the television show Sister Wives, which documents a polygamous family in Utah, when the daughter remarked that it was an interesting system.

“She was talking about Sister Wives, and I said, ‘What about brother husbands?’” Bill asked her. “I said, ‘Your mom and I date a guy.’ And she was like, ‘Cool.’”

Some marriage experts don’t agree that polyamory’s impact on children is neutral, though. "We know that kids thrive on stable routines with stable caregivers,” said W. Bradford Wilcox, a sociologist and the director of the National Marriage Project at the University of Virginia. Polyamory can be like a “marriage-go-round,” Wilcox said. “When kids are exposed to a revolving carousel of spouses, that experience of instability and transition can be traumatic.” (Wilcox, who has contributed to The Atlantic, is known for having rather conservative views: He recently penned a Washington Post op-ed about how marriage ostensibly protects women, and he consulted on a much-contested study about the children of same-sex couples.)

Wilcox also assumes that polyamorous people must struggle to devote enough time and attention to each partner and child. “It’s a challenge for me as a husband and father to give my wife and kids enough attention,” Wilcox said. “I can’t imagine how challenging it would be to add another partner. There are limits to time and space.”

There’s some evidence that polygamy, in particular, can be harmful, not only to children but to women and men. The anthropologist Joseph Henrich has found that the world’s polygamous societies gradually evolved toward monogamous marriage because doing so resolved many of the problems created when powerful men hoarded all the wives for themselves. Meanwhile, these societies’ mobs of horny, angry, low-status single men would lead to “significantly higher levels rape, kidnapping, murder, assault, robbery and fraud,” as Henrich and fellow researchers wrote in a recent study.

By easing the competition to scoop up as many wives as possible, monogamy allows men to instead focus on things like child-rearing, long-term planning, and saving money. It also increases the age at first marriage and lowers fertility rates, Henrich found. He suggests that’s one reason polygamy was outlawed in Japan in 1880, in 1953 in China, and in 1955 in India, for most religious groups. But the welfare of children living in today’s polyamorous households won’t be knowable until there are more long-term studies on that (tiny) cohort.

On the early stages of research into Western, consensual non-monogamous relationships:

In fact, there’s a paucity of any sort of research on consensual, Western non-monogamy. A 2005 study that examined 69 polygamous families found that there often was a “deep-seated feeling of angst that arises over competing for access to their mutual husband.” Conflict between the co-wives, the researchers wrote, is “pervasive and often marked by physical or verbal violence.” But that analysis was based on predominantly African cultures where men take several wives, not the more egalitarian polyamorous community in the developed world.

The nascent research that does exist suggests these modern polyamorous relationships can be just as functional—and sometimes even more so—than traditional monogamous pairings.

Perhaps most obviously, people who have permission to “cheat”—that is, through a planned, non-monogamous arrangement—are more likely to use condoms and have frequent STI tests than clandestine cheaters are. Apparently, sneaking around is already so morally torturous that a stop at Walgreens for Trojans would simply be too much to handle.

Terri Conley, a professor of psychology and women’s studies at the University of Michigan who studies polyamory, has analyzed a sample of 1,700 monogamous individuals, 150 swingers, 170 people in open relationships, and 300 polyamorous individuals for a forthcoming study. She said that while people in “open relationships” tend to have lower sexual satisfaction than their monogamous peers, people who described themselves as “polyamorous” tended to have equal or higher levels of sexual satisfaction.

What’s more, polyamorous people don’t seem to be plagued by monogamous-style romantic envy. Bjarne Holmes, a psychologist at Champlain College in Vermont has found that polyamorous people tend to experience less overall jealousy, even in situations that would drive monogamous couples to Othello-levels of suspicion. "It turns out that, hey, people are not reacting with jealousy when their partner is flirting with someone else," Holmes told LiveScience.

Sheff agreed. “I would say they have lower-than-average jealousy,” she said. “People who are very jealous generally don’t do polyamory at all.”

And more!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
This is a really great article and I think it does a lot to dispel a lot of the myths of poly relationships. They, like people and monogamous relationships, come in all shapes and sizes. They, like monogamous relationships, require communication, caring, and consent to work properly. It's not all that different. It's not just about the woman finding "new dick" or whatever.

Air

Banned
Hey if it works for you it works for you. It's all about communication. I dunno how I'd feel about bringing children, but that's me personally.

Thanks for the article. Anything related to human sexuality that goes against the "norm" is often tough for people to grasp, so I'm always curious about how stuff like this gets communicated in popular media.

studyguy

Wilcox also assumes that polyamorous people must struggle to devote enough time and attention to each partner and child. “It’s a challenge for me as a husband and father to give my wife and kids enough attention,” Wilcox said. “I can’t imagine how challenging it would be to add another partner. There are limits to time and space.”

That's the only thing that would really cause me concern as far as being in a polyamorus relationship. Should I end up with child from two or more different people that may not interact all that often, I'd be concerned with the care for each and how limited time constraints might impact the child. I don't swing that way, but more power to those that do, whatever.

Wilsongt

Personally, I can't do a poly relationship. I'm extremely jealous as it; plus, it's hard enough to find -one- person I can be with and trust.

Beyond other issues, I can't imagine being able to carve out enough time to properly attend to the needs of multiple spouses, kids, self and work. Maybe it works for retirees or the independently wealthy, but I barely have any self time after wife, one kid, and career. Add another adult into the equation and someone is perpetually going to feel neglected.

Gay people, are, once again, at the forefront of the frontiers of relationships. Open relationships are pretty common compared to straight relationships.

Interesting article.

Not cool about those huge age gaps in that first polyp relationship.

I found this quote especially interesting:

Some marriage experts don’t agree that polyamory’s impact on children is neutral, though. "We know that kids thrive on stable routines with stable caregivers,” said W. Bradford Wilcox, a sociologist and the director of the National Marriage Project at the University of Virginia. Polyamory can be like a “marriage-go-round,” Wilcox said. “When kids are exposed to a revolving carousel of spouses, that experience of instability and transition can be traumatic.” (Wilcox, who has contributed to The Atlantic, is known for having rather conservative views: He recently penned a Washington Post op-ed about how marriage ostensibly protects women, and he consulted on a much-contested study about the children of same-sex couples.)

I can't imagine kids who grow up in polyp households are comfortable with having so many adults to consult with. It does sound confusing.

Personally, I'm a one woman man. I can barely manage a relationship with one person. Throwing another into that mix is volatile.

Mumei

Personally, I'm a one woman man. I can barely manage a relationship with one person. Throwing another into that mix is volatile.

image.php

Gwen? Mary Jane? Black Cat? Ms. Marvel? Betty Brant? Peter, we know you better than that!

Gay people, are, once again, at the forefront of the frontiers of relationships. Open relationships are pretty common compared to straight relationships.

Indeed. This is actually what interested me in the article in the first place; seeing successful long-term (five - ten years +) open relationships and/or poly relationships in the gay community.

Even having a girlfriend makes it difficult to have female friends for me, I couldn't probably do it. I already feel sufficiently compromised on my individual needs that having another person with whom I share more of myself at that level is incomprehensible for me and something I don't see myself wanting to do.

I do understand that for others this totally works and I'm glad that they can do what gives them joy.

Neat article, thanks. I love The Atlantic, great work they do. That bit about someone else eating your tomato was really weirdthough.

Curious but would have a hell of a time selling that idea to anyone I've been with.

That's probably the only issue I'd have with it.

Great article, thanks for sharing.

ampere

It's very interesting and I'm fascinated by people who can manage polyamorous relationships, but I could never handle it.

It's already a ton of work to maintain a monogamous relationship, and the insecurities would just pile up for me to try multiple at once. Takes the 'special' nature of a relationship away IMO if you're with multiple people at once. To have healthy time balances with multiple partners... it just seems impossible that all parties would be happy. But if they are, power to em.

I can't imagine kids who grow up in polyp households are comfortable with having some many adults to consult with. It does sound confusing.

Haven't most human societies throughout history been more of the "village raises the child" variety, as opposed to the "mom, dad, and 2 children living in a suburban home" variety?

And don't kids interact with numerous adults already (teachers, uncles, aunts, babysitters, daycare folks, grandparents, etc.)?

If anything, it seems like the "nuclear family" is the aberration when it comes to raising kids, when looking at human societies and history overall. Shit, a kid would probably think that's just more people to get Christmas and birthday gifts from, lol

Great article. When the issue comes up again on Gaf (and it will) it will prove to be a useful link to help educate those who spout bullshit on the subject.

At the end of the day it's simply not something I'm wired for, and that's okay. I don't ascribe a moral judgement to how people live their lives so long as it's not hurting anyone. Ultimately I think the only dark spot that plagues discussions like these is one side or another insisting that their way is best, as opposed to simply saying it's what works best for them. Monogamists placing moral judgement on polys as being fickle and promiscuous. Polys saying monogamy is outmoded and that if you loved someone you'd want them to play the field. There are gut-level reasons to feel this way about both stances, but nothing that can't be overcome with a bit of understanding.

When critics decry polys as escapists who have simply “gotten bored” in traditional relationships, polys counter that the more people they can draw close to them, the more self-actualized they can be.

I thought this was interesting. In my personal experience I actually feel more drawn-out and less like myself the more people I surround myself with. Sharing my life with a single lover is basically the compromise I make between happiness and self-actualization. I've seen similar comparisons made to extroverts and introverts; that the former absorb energy from others while the latter create it themselves and have it sapped when surrounded by people.

In the course of her research, Sheff met one couple in which the man was as “as kinky as a cheap garden hose.” “It didn’t do it for [his wife], the whole kink thing,” Sheff told me. “So he started going to local [BDSM] dungeons and playing with other women. She was not that into that, either. She loved the theater, but she stopped going as much because he thought it was boring and stupid and expensive.”

So the couple went poly: “He started dating kinky women. She ended up hooking up with her old high school friend she found on Facebook, and they enjoyed the theater together. And she ended up enjoying time with her husband but not feeling so much pressure about the kinky sex.”

This is also interesting. If the man and the woman in this scenario were in a monogamous relationship I don't think most people would hesitate to say they're simply not compatible with one another in their interests or sex lives, yet when they open their relationship it becomes workable. I think there are multiple ways to interpret this. On one hand I feel they might be using their marriage as a crutch to attain some sense of normalcy when they really have no spark left in their relationship. On the other, perhaps their relationship has strengthened after it opened. That said it'd be difficult for me as a partner in this relationship to not see my wife's conquests as a testament to my failure, since in this case they're essentially choosing partners who provide them with things their spouse does not. It'd be difficult for me to view an open relationship as anything else, really. Whenever you want to answer the question "What am I not providing my partner?", simply look to your partner's next date for your answer.

People in plural relationships get jealous, too, of course. But the way polys get jealous is unique—and possibly even adaptive. Rather than blame the partner for their feelings, the polys view the jealousy an irrational symptom of their own self-doubt.
I agree with this perception of jealousy. For context, my partner has close male friends. She's also a bartender and gets hit on literally every day she works. There was a time when I let my jealousy simmer and would vent it in passive aggressive ways until I learned that I trusted my partner implicitly and my feelings of jealousy were unproductive and a manifestation of poor self-image. Since then jealousy has become a thing to be defeated, as it rarely serves a productive purpose. So say what you will about polyamory, but they have the jealousy thing figured out in the context of their culture.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Haven't most human societies throughout history been more of the "village raises the child" variety, as opposed to the "mom, dad, and 2 children living in a suburban home" variety?

And don't kids interact with numerous adults already (teachers, uncles, aunts, babysitters, daycare folks, grandparents, etc.)?

If anything, it seems like the "nuclear family" is the aberration when it comes to raising kids, when looking at human societies and history overall. Shit, a kid would probably think that's just more people to get Christmas and birthday gifts from, lol

Smaller populations, especially in tribes have selection pressures such as a limited number of partners, and absolute cooperation is needed for survival . As we grew to more specialization, our population increased and we grew to the more modern cultural norms.

So glad this article is out there. Last night I was with a woman who is married. She's poly (I would like to be to, but I'm single). It was awesome. We talked about her husband a bit, and she even joked about his taste in women (all his dates look just like her). At the end of the night, she went home to her man and we were both really happy. We plan on seeing each other again. I don't care that she's doing her husband, and he obviously didn't care that she fooled around with me. Poly pride!

Smaller populations, especially in tribes have selection pressures such as a limited number of partners, and absolute cooperation is needed for survival . As we grew to more specialization, our population increased and we grew to the more modern cultural norms.

True, we're definitely affected by the environment we're in (though of course, our brains evolved under the former environment, so if one was to make an argument of what's more "natural", those early environments would certainly be a good place to start looking).

That's actually kind of related to what Sex at Dawn proposes - that our trend towards monogamy and stricter family units is a result of us discovering agriculture (and then needing to pass down land and property, and other modern norms). Essentially, scarce resources and economics (mixed in with religion and politics of course) basically set the stage for a lot of modern relationship "rules". Of course, we still break those rules routinely, which is why we have serial monogamy, divorce, cheating, and other twists on biological monogamy.

image.php

Gwen? Mary Jane? Black Cat? Ms. Marvel? Betty Brant? Peter, we know you better than that!

Indeed. This is actually what interested me in the article in the first place; seeing successful long-term (five - ten years +) open relationships and/or poly relationships in the gay community.

This NY Times article was pretty good, I thought:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/us/29sfmetro.html

It talked about a study that already came out too, but I can't find a link to it.

New research at San Francisco State University reveals just how common open relationships are among gay men and lesbians in the Bay Area. The Gay Couples Study has followed 556 male couples for three years — about 50 percent of those surveyed have sex outside their relationships, with the knowledge and approval of their partners.

That consent is key. “With straight people, it’s called affairs or cheating,” said Colleen Hoff, the study’s principal investigator, “but with gay people it does not have such negative connotations.”

The study also found open gay couples just as happy in their relationships as pairs in sexually exclusive unions, Dr. Hoff said. A different study, published in 1985, concluded that open gay relationships actually lasted longer.

.GqueB.

Banned
A couple of my friends are in an open marriage and they make it work pretty well. They have rules and they have a lot of open communication about it. The situations in the article seem to differ from their situation. It was more about being open sexually than emotionally.

My only issue with it was the fact that it was so much easier for the girl to explore than the guy. It's SO easy to find a guy to say yes to a situation where the sex is essentially NSA. Finding a girl that's down for that wasn't easy which I saw first hand. At one point, the girl had been with like 3 other dudes while the guy hadn't done anything. There was something very wrong with that in my eyes but he seemed unbothered by it.

So I helped him get laid which felt kind of weird because I wasn't used to that kind of thing. Still not sure if I'd be down for that kind of arrangement.

That's the only thing that would really cause me concern as far as being in a polyamorus relationship. Should I end up with child from two or more different people that may not interact all that often, I'd be concerned with the care for each and how limited time constraints might impact the child. I don't swing that way, but more power to those that do, whatever.

Beyond other issues, I can't imagine being able to carve out enough time to properly attend to the needs of multiple spouses, kids, self and work. Maybe it works for retirees or the independently wealthy, but I barely have any self time after wife, one kid, and career. Add another adult into the equation and someone is perpetually going to feel neglected.

On the other hand, a household with three adults and two children would be a parent's dream. Child rearing duties get split three ways and there's always going to be someone available to watch the kids. Also, splitting your time between your spouse and your kids does not mean your spouse is alone, because there's a third SO in the picture. It's not any different from large extended families, except there's more fucking.

Yup yup.

Shinypogs

On the other hand, a household with three adults and two children would be a parent's dream. Child rearing duties get split three ways and there's always going to be someone available to watch the kids. Also, splitting your time between your spouse and your kids does not mean your spouse is alone, because there's a third SO in the picture. It's not any different from large extended families, except there's more fucking.

Yup yup.

Yeah I've seen some documentaries on poly families and why everything isn't always rosy it does seem like having more adults around actually does help. It's about stability if all the adults are always around then then kids are used to seeing them and relying upon them.

When people are flitting in and out of their lives is when things get problematic for children. That's no different than being the child of a single parent who dates and breaks up with people frequently. Having your parent's temporary partners wander in and our of your life can be disruptive as hell but no one is saying single parents shouldn't date.

wildfire

Banned
This was an enlightening read but It barely touched on the questions I have about what these polymorous people do when it comes to raising children.

It was mostly hypotheticals instead of just a retelling from the view point of these people.

etrain911

I'm actually living a poly lifestyle right now, and while it isn't always a bed of roses, it definitely has its perks. One person I'm dating is a submissive. Completely and totally. There's no way she could ever dominate me. And I care about her oceans and love her buckets. She's close to being my primary partner (we're still discussing how things would work), but she understands that there's a side of me that craves and needs the structure of being dominated by someone and she's fully supportive of me finding that for myself as long as it doesn't change our dynamic. She's allowed to see who she wants too, but we have certain boundaries (i.e. our bed is our bed, the people I see have to be okay with her and vice-versa). It's nice that there is no one way to do poly. It really is. I run a club at my school dedicated to hosting safe discussions of that and kink.

From my perspective as a college student, I notice a lot of the people in my club are poly because their futures are so uncertain. They all have goals and ambitions that'll take them lots of different places so it doesn't make sense to restrict themselves to one person that they may not be able to commit themselves long-term to. My reason is simply because I notice that I can't fulfill someone's every need and that they can't fulfill mine, but I still love them deeply and have a wealth of feelings for them. I may have feelings for others as well (as does she) and I feel like both of us should be free to explore those without restricting each other greatly.

I'm not sure if this is something I'll continue after college, but I consider everything very flexible. There's always room for growth. I find that I'm not really ostracized by my peers either, no one really bats an eyelash. Maybe because I consider it flexible, I dunno, but lots of people reduce it down to "dating around", which I guess is okay, but to me makes no sense.

When people are flitting in and out of their lives is when things get problematic for children.

I don't see why it would be. As long as the biological parents are always there, I don't think it matters that there are other adult figures coming in and out. When I was a kid, my dad's cousin lived with us for 2 years after his divorce. He babysat me whenever my parents went out and I loved having him around. When he got back on his feet, he moved out. Same thing happened to my uncle a few years later. I also had a teenage cousin who lived with us during her senior year in high school, and a half sister who was off in college and then grad school when I was young. I loved having these people around, and I missed them when they left, but it was never confusing or disruptive.

not something I have any real interest in, but whatever works. I'll also say I don't think it would mess a kid up, either. I think kids are more interested in happy parents than who is banging who.

Log4Girlz

I can't even be with one person, who am I to judge what consenting adults should or should not do. I think open relationships are destined to be far, far more common than they are now in the near future.

Aurongel

I doubt most people can handle a serious relationship with multiple people at once considering so few can deal with a single persons emotional being. That being said, I'm not sure I see too much wrong with it but it's definitely not something I see being a good fit for most people looking for something serious because of the emotional angle of it. Besides, casual sex is so common today so the concept of polyamory isn't exactly the stuff of science fiction. It will probably be fairly commonplace among younger people in 50 years.

I honestly don't like the idea of open relationships or polygamous marriages.

It's hard enough for a person to form a bond with one human being. I can't even fathom how you could be emotionally invested in the lives of multiple partners. Guess, I just believe in my own idealized form of love, and these situations don't really fit into that narrative.

But hey, that's an opinion.

I identify as some mixture of polyamorous/non-monogamous. I am generally not jealous and don't understand some of the things that makes others jealous. This article seems pretty decent considering some of the others I have read, but still seems to be coming from a very outside perspective that the author doesn't really 'get' the situation.

For those of you who can't understand loving more than one person. Do you love both your parents? All of your siblings? All of your children? How can you possibly love more than one at a time? That pretty much answers your question.

I identify as some mixture of polyamorous/non-monogamous. I am generally not jealous and don't understand some of the things that makes others jealous. This article seems pretty decent considering some of the others I have read, but still seems to be coming from a very outside perspective that the author doesn't really 'get' the situation.

For those of you who can't understand loving more than one person. Do you love both your parents? All of your siblings? All of your children? How can you possibly love more than one at a time? That pretty much answers your question.

I love my friends too, but it's a different kind of love.

Mumei

Deified Data, great post. I especially liked the anecdote about your experiences with jealousy with regards to your partner's work experiences / friends.

I honestly don't like the idea of open relationships or polygamous marriages.

It's hard enough for a person to form a bond with one human being. I can't even fathom how you could be emotionally invested in the lives of multiple partners. Guess, I just believe in my own idealized form of love, and these situations don't really fit into that narrative.

But hey, that's an opinion.

image.php

Oh, as though your relationships have been so successful, Inspector?

:3

I love my friends too, but it's a different kind of love.

Some might say that's how we should describe polyamorous relationships.

A different kind of love, but it doesn't necessarily make it a better/worse kind of love (depending on the person obviously). Actually, for me personally, that's kind of what led me down the polyamorous road. I had multiple rewarding platonic friendships with women before I pursued "romantic" relationships, and I didn't need to "pick one" in order to still feel a strong sense of caring for each of them. And I noticed I didn't need to "pick one" when it came to every other type of human being I cared in my life. And I've never been a jealous person, so polyamory just kind of naturally fit for me.

Me having strong feelings for one woman doesn't depend on me not having feelings for a different woman (just like how loving my nephew didn't stop me from loving my niece when she was born later). And me having strong feelings for one woman doesn't depend on her not having feelings for someone else. And of course, I can obviously be physically attracted to more than one woman as well. So for me, I would feel like I'm lying to myself if I pursued monogamous relationships. And generally speaking, trying to suppress one's own sexuality is usually pretty damaging in a lot of ways.

Granted, time may be a limited resource, so that always has to be balanced, and that can be more difficult in a polyamorous context since there are only so many hours in the day. But that's a scheduling issue, not a "love" issue. And unless the only definition of love is "wanting to be around that person 24/7", spending time with other partners doesn't inherently have to diminish your love for existing partners.

Valhelm

contribute something
I really think polygamy ought to be legal. The only problem seems to be tax complications, but that's entirely a bureaucratic problem that governments can work out. When a woman with two husbands has a child, both the father and the other husband can have guardian rights.

A marriage should just be a legally recognized romantic and/or sexual relationship. The number and gender of the participants is irrelevant.

ronito

Honestly, the concept just seems totally alien to me.
And I'm not necessarily one to get into the jealousy thing. I can totally see bringing in someone to have some fun sexy times with you and your partner. No prob there. I get why someone would want that. But I just don't get the desire to have an emotional relationship with an additional person. It just seems too foreign, I certainly don't have the emotional fortitude for that.

Polygamy I get. It's a guy with multiple partners. Exhausting. But ok. But polyamory? He has a relationship with her and another woman (or man) who also have relationships with each other? No sir. Not for me. Too many possible landmines. Too much work.

But if you like it, more power to you.

Zaptruder

Banned
Excellent. I'm writing a book with one of my topics relating to polyamory.

At it's core, polyamory is the natural state of being.

We are creatures with wanton sexual and emotional needs. The economics of individual pair matching in the supply and demand of needs, wants, desires and freedoms simply do not work out well in that paradigm.

Moreover, family structures are for the same reason inferior to larger extended family structures that is able to provide more stability and intra and inter generation opportunities.

Social networks shouldn't be exclusive - they're strengthened by their multiplicity - the more nodes and the more connections between each node, the more stability and opportunity there is. People develop a more prosocial mindset when there is a larger social group to relate to and are less susceptible to the distortions that can occur in small groups where some nodes control significant leverage and effect on the other nodes. It is only because we operate under an ownership paradigm that we prevent ourselves from taking full advantage of a social connectivity and sharing paradigm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom