• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Beatles - Now And Then - The Last Beatles Song (Short Film)

pauljeremiah

Gold Member

Now and Then's eventful journey to fruition took place over five decades and is the product of conversations and collaborations between the four Beatles that go on to this day. The long mythologised John Lennon demo was first worked on in February 1995 by Paul, George and Ringo as part of The Beatles Anthology project but it remained unfinished, partly because of the impossible technological challenges involved in working with the vocal John had recorded on tape in the 1970s. For years it looked like the song could never be completed. But in 2022 there was a stroke of serendipity. A software system developed by Peter Jackson and his team, used throughout the production of the documentary series Get Back, finally opened the way for the uncoupling of John’s vocal from his piano part. As a result, the original recording could be brought to life and worked on anew with contributions from all four Beatles. This remarkable story of musical archaeology reflects The Beatles’ endless creative curiosity and shared fascination with technology. It marks the completion of the last recording that John, Paul and George and Ringo will get to make together and celebrates the legacy of the foremost and most influential band in popular music history.

Quasicat

Thank you for posting this. I really wondered how they got George Harrison in on this since he passed in 2001. I loved Free as a Bird and I’m really looking forward to this one!

elementalnocturne

Neo Member
What they have been able to do with this technology is so cool!

“Get Back” looked so modern. Even the footage included here from the Anthology sessions and from the White Album sessions looks improved. I hope Peter Jackson has more Beatles projects in the works.

Marvel14

Banned
So the obvious question apart from "how good is the song" is whether they can use machine learning to remaster Free as a Bird and Real Love so they sound like proper Beatles songs and not made off of a scratchy old tape...

Sybrix

I like it alot, i prefer it to Free As A Bird and Real Love.

Looking forward to the official video tomorrow.

Mitsurux

I watched that video last night, really interesting stuff. The Song it self is rather Haunting, pretty good. Does anyone else know if the is anything different with the b side Love me do (Oh just checked and its 1962 single version 2022 remaster) it sounds kinda different.

Would be interested to see what this tech could do for some of the bootleg live recordings.. could they be cleaned up/remixed?

NeoGiffer

side-eye-yeah-no.gif

The 1978 Demo is still way better and they cut out some of it as well?!! Paul has to have the count in doesn't he? Fuck off Paul. Seriously. I love you but seriously fuck off right now.

Why not put the original demo as a B Side? Yeh...cause it's still superior.

The Beatles split up in 1970 (officially) and there has been no new Beatles music since. Retooling bare boned Lennon demo's never counted but if you want to fool yourself and believe the marketing then it's up to you.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I think the song itself is pretty great. They did a fantastic job with it. Better than most of the garbage that comes out these days.

Even the strings is nice. There is a haunting element to it.

The music video is pretty weird, but it's kinda grown on me too.

DKehoe

The song is decent. Obviously not up there as one of The Beatles best but that would be an unfair standard to hold it to. Cool to hear something "new" from them. Can't say I'm a big fan of the music video though.

Aesius

So the obvious question apart from "how good is the song" is whether they can use machine learning to remaster Free as a Bird and Real Love so they sound like proper Beatles songs and not made off of a scratchy old tape...
Yes, Real Love in particular needs it. Although part of me enjoys the AM radio quality of John's voice in that song. It makes it a little more ethereal and a "singing from beyond the grave" vibe.

Marvel14

Banned
Yes, Real Love in particular needs it. Although part of me enjoys the AM radio quality of John's voice in that song. It makes it a little more ethereal and a "singing from beyond the grave" vibe.
Free as a Bird sounds good

Real Love sounds fake, like it's not Lennon singing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom