• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Part II Remastered [Review Thread]

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The new improved visuals are a game changer. It's just incredible how far Naughty Dog was able to push the PS5... I won't be able to go back to the PS4 version. That $10 upgrade price is a steal for what we're getting! :messenger_smiling_hearts:

gwchlns.jpg
Iy6oeC6.jpg
0KnxQru.jpg

Dean Winchester Reaction GIF

The new improved visuals are a game changer. It's just incredible how far Naughty Dog was able to push the PS5... I won't be able to go back to the PS4 version. That $10 upgrade price is a steal for what we're getting! :messenger_smiling_hearts:

gwchlns.jpg
Iy6oeC6.jpg
0KnxQru.jpg
smh. filing under 'stuff we get excited about when there's nothing to be excited about'...

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah.....not looking like a significant graphical boost at all. Frankly, wasn't expecting one and that's not why I'm going to replay the game. I'm definitely looking forward to trying out the new game mode, but also I want to earn all those trophies again. Had a blast getting the Plat the first time.

So to me, it is worth the $10. If not, pretty easy for folks to just skip this upgrade. Hardly controversial.

Muffdraul

gwchlns.jpg
Iy6oeC6.jpg
0KnxQru.jpg
We're so deep in diminishing returns territory now, I really couldn't give less of a fuck about a couple of extra pixels. I don't need a huge carrot on a stick to get me to keep replaying this game. Marginally improved performance for $10, sure, whatever. I was gonna play it again another 100 times anyway.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Much better vid.

Actually better lod, vegetation, some textures and 4k makes a good difference.
I am getting 10$ upgrade for sure and maybe disc when it gets cheap

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Much better vid.

Actually better lod, vegetation, some textures and 4k makes a good difference.
I am getting 10$ upgrade for sure and maybe disc when it gets cheap

Draw distance, LOD? Those are just toggles in the settings menu for developers... Easiest 10 bucks ever for Sony.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Draw distance, LOD? Those are just toggles in the settings menu for developers... Easiest 10 bucks ever for Sony.
yep. that's what I am saying.
It still looks fantastic but it's very little for what it is.
well.. maybe the added mode is good.

clarky

Gold Member
So a tenner for a patch and a new mode. I'll wait for the inevitable remake on PC in a few years before a play it again.

angrod14

No, I did bring it up earlier. Lighting, NPC graphical fidelity and animation were all downgraded. This remaster barely improves anything from the original unfortunately.
That's unfortunate. I guess it isn't even on par with Part I either, because Part I enemies had incredible facial detail and animations, like the ones seen on that 2018 gameplay.

saintjules

I didn't see anyone addressing if this remastered version finally matches the visual fidelity of the E3 gameplay reveal:

Sometimes I think about what they show versus the retail release. Not even their PC releases come close.

So what is it I wonder? What do they do in these E3 reveals that the hardware cannot achieve and what does it take specs wise to get there?

Last edited:

simpatico

Releasing a $50 remaster of your last game, before you even announce your next game, is really something.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Releasing a full priced remaster of your last game, before you even announce your next game, is really something.

You should have put the word remaster between quotation marks.

Puscifer

gwchlns.jpg
Iy6oeC6.jpg
0KnxQru.jpg
This is a joke post right? At least moving from PS3 to 4 it was a clear upgrade, I was hoping they'd use the cutscene assets like they did there. It's barely an upgrade over the PS5 patch.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Super bummed that this doesn't really improve the graphics from the PS4-patched-for-PS5 version.

Sometimes I think about what they show versus the retail release. Not even their PC releases come close.

So what is it I wonder? What do they do in these E3 reveals that the hardware cannot achieve and what does it take specs wise to get there?

If they had unlimited budget and infinite time, they could get games to look like that on their target consoles. But they don't, so they don't.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

That resolution boost is sexy af.

PS4: 1080p/30fps

PS4 Pro: 1440p/30fps

PS5:
2160p/30fps (30~50fps with VRR)
1440p/60fps (60~90fps with VRR)

- The Last of Us Part II Remastered applies some visual improvements on PS5 with respect to the original version.
- Among them, highlights the increased resolution, VRR, higher quality vegetation, shadows, increased drawing distance or anisotropic filtering.
- The PS5 performance mode makes some visual cuts in resolution, water quality, drawing distance, shadows and some post-processing effects.
- The framerate in this remaster presents a similar performance to The Last of Us Part I remake, with peaks of 90fps in performance mode and an average of about 70fps with VRR enabled. Quality mode averages 40fps in VRR.
- Load times are still somewhat long on PS5, although they are 3 times faster than on PS4/PS4 Pro.
- Visual differences compared to the original version in backwards compatibility mode on PS5 at 1440p/60fps are anecdotal. Most notable are the new additions such as the "No Return" mode in addition to the possibility of applying VRR.
- The "No Return" mode is what could justify the $10 that this upgrade costs if you already have the PS4 version.

- The PS5 performance mode makes some visual cuts in resolution, water quality, drawing distance, shadows and some post-processing effects.

See this annoys me, so does that mean PS4 version on PS5 with 60fps patch still @1440p is better than performance mode on PS5 native version? PS4 version was just a patch for 60fps framerate with no sacrifice to visual elements.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
That resolution boost is sexy af.

PS4: 1080p/30fps

PS4 Pro: 1440p/30fps

PS5:
2160p/30fps (30~50fps with VRR)
1440p/60fps (60~90fps with VRR)

- The Last of Us Part II Remastered applies some visual improvements on PS5 with respect to the original version.
- Among them, highlights the increased resolution, VRR, higher quality vegetation, shadows, increased drawing distance or anisotropic filtering.
- The framerate in this remaster presents a similar performance to The Last of Us Part I remake, with peaks of 90fps in performance mode and an average of about 70fps with VRR enabled. Quality mode averages 40fps in VRR.
- Load times are still somewhat long on PS5, although they are 3 times faster than on PS4/PS4 Pro.
- Visual differences compared to the original version in backwards compatibility mode on PS5 at 1440p/60fps are anecdotal. Most notable are the new additions such as the "No Return" mode in addition to the possibility of applying VRR.
- The "No Return" mode is what could justify the $10 that this upgrade costs if you already have the PS4 version.

I’m surprised this isn’t 4k 60fps considering the original ps4/pro specs….

I’ll likely go for the 4k 30 with VRR because if it’s the “40 fps” thing that insomniac does I’m all gravy. Or if it’s the buttery smooth 30fps of final fantasy 16 I’m also in.

See this annoys me, so does that mean PS4 version on PS5 with 60fps patch still @1440p is better than performance mode on PS5 native version? PS4 version was just a patch for 60fps framerate with no sacrifice to visual elements.
No this means that compared to the fidelity mode 4k30 it has those visual cuts

dEvAnGeL

If you are not interested in the new modes added to this "Remaster". I see no point on buying this. Is interesting to see the two sides of the coin coming from Sony studios. ND charges $10 for this. While Santa Monica releases a free DLC they could have charged $20 for and no one would have bat an eye.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
If you are not interested in the new modes added to this "Remaster". I see no point on buying this. Is interesting to see the two sides of the coin coming from Sony studios. ND charges $10 for this. While Santa Monica releases a free DLC they could have charged $20 for and no one would have bat an eye.
The decsion was likely from Sony.

If you own the PS4 version of God of War Ragnarok, you need to pay $10 to upgrade to the PS5 version.

dEvAnGeL

The decsion was likely from Sony.

If you own the PS4 version of God of War Ragnarok, you need to pay $10 to upgrade to the PS5 version.
Talking mostly about content. TLOU2 already plays at 60fps on ps5. And according to DF they is no difference whatsoever between both versions. Except for the new content. Which drives my point.

Does the Remastered Fidelity mode bring back per object motion blur of the original PS4 30 FPS version, removed by the PS5 patch released in 2021?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Talking mostly about content. TLOU2 already plays at 60fps on ps5. And according to DF they is no difference whatsoever between both versions. Except for the new content. Which drives my point.

So the enhanced visuals is a lie?

Eiknarf

Banned
I’m a completionist (if that’s a word)

I bought the new, native PS5 disc version so it looks cohesive sitting next to the PS5 Remake of Part 1.

StueyDuck

Is there a deadline to the existing owner upgrade... I'll be down to clown around the time the second season starts winding up. Not now though

StueyDuck

So the enhanced visuals is a lie?
There are very minor upgrades but nothing of interest. Like literally some rocks looking slightly better and a better draw distance.

It does have 40 and 120hz support though.

Also fidelity hits a full 4k.

Last edited:
Top Bottom