• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Behemoth's Next Game" screens (from creators of Alien Hominid)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
screens:
http://1up.com/do/media?cId=3141981

preview text here:
http://1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3142014&did=1

If Alien Hominid is a comedic take on Metal Slug, then The Behemoth's Next Game is a take on Double Dragon. Or perhaps Treasure's Guardian Heroes, what with all the stylized medieval art, four-player simultaneous gameplay, and RPG-lite leveling-up. But we'll stick with Double Dragon for now, seeing as how the designers threw in a special parody of that game's introduction at the beginning of the Comic-con demo.

media9xh.jpg

media29at.jpg

media35fq.jpg

media43sf.jpg

media52cg.jpg

media63zx.jpg

pj

Banned
I'm sure it will be great like alien hominid, but these dudes should give up on consoles and make handheld games.

Hellraizah

From the screens, I thought the game was on PSP.

I'll buy it without any doubts, I just hope that they get the scrolling right this time, so that it doesn't look like a flash game on a console.

jett

D-Member
Yeah, this guys should just release this kind of stuff on GBA, DS and PSP. Will probably get more attention and sell better.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
the platform hasn't been officially announced yet, and the expected release date is sometime next year

they worked on the game for only a month so far

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i really didnt like alien hominid. too many cheap deaths for me (maybe i suck?).

but the detail, design and animation rocked. a game in the vien of guardian heroes or even double dragon could potentially rule

Ironclad

Looking good so far. Definitely an Alien Hominid feeling. I had a lot of fun with Alien Hominid. Sometimes it was difficult to tell bullets from the background but it really was a brilliant game. I'm anticipating this. Don't care what platform it's for.

I cannot stand the Alien Hominid\Metal Slug comparisons. AH does not deserve such a compliment.

The game is fast and dazzling, but the problem is that it is too dazzling. There is too much shit going on and hiding the bullets. I do like the art style, but I don't think it was well suited for a shooter.

My biggest peev with the title? It's a six button game. SIX FUCKING BUTTONS for a "metal slug rip."

I need a button to roll in each direction? Did you ever play Mega Man 3? How about Down+Jump?
And what about this "Enter Vehicle" button? Why do I have to hit a dedicated button to do what Metal Slug did with Up+Jump?

GAF hyped this one too much. I hope history won't repeat itself.

sscrew

LOL, i read "The Behemoth's Next Gen" screens..... and the first thing i thought upon seeing them was that this thread would be full of bashing.

Either way, if this is PSP, it looks awesome. Definitely the sort of game that would do well on handhelds.

Ironclad

ASM, I agree. Those were my main problems with the game as well. Buttons dedicated to digging underground and rolling. They could have easily been handeled otherwise. Also, the bullets are lost in the style very easily. Often, the style is far too distracting so your eyes cannot focus on what they need to. "Three-Ring Circus" effect I think it's called. Metal Slug it is not, but it is fun especially if you're playing with a friend, not caring about deaths or credits. The multiplayer mode was pretty fun as well. Lots of different levels and even a level editor. Good stuff.

I've all but mastered Metal Slug 3.
I've spent a lot of time with the best, and now I can't stand the rest.

Is there a freeplay mode in AH? I've only tolerated my copy thrice and getting shot by FBI guys while the screen tracks a flying robot (give the boss the arrow and track me, you numb fu-) and the like always whittled my lives down so I've never seen past the traffic boss.

I'd like to see the rest of the game as long as I don't have to worry about lives. I'd go through once this way.

However, and I swear, if I do go through AH and every level is basically a long flat line... the next person who compares it to Metal Slug, I will punch in the face.

So far I haven't seen branching paths, mid-level change in scenery, or so much as an elevation change. MS3 has all this on the first board.

sarusama

I liked Alien Hominid very much (art style and old-school feel... like that cut-scene where the russians accidentally shoot you down). Beat it in Co-op with my bro on the hardest level. From these screen it looks like I'll be bying this game also (would be nice on Rev (next-gen consoles) for online).

However Alien Hominid had *major* flaws. Bullets were hard to see (in a shooter that is!!!), it was hard to notice that you had died (I sometimes died several times cause I didn't see the first death and wasn't paying attention to respawning), overall I felt the smoothness was lacking (scrolling, moving... as if there was lag from time to time), and it was a little lite on the gameplay (all the levels were more or less the same with the standard enemy waves... and no changing their appearance doesn't cut it).

So I hope this new game retains the style and old-school feeling but adds *A LOT* of polish to the controls/gameplay.

Ironclad

ASM, I don't think I ever saw a free play mode but I never really had a problem with lives. For some reason, I always had an excess of credits. Sadly, there are no branching paths as far as I know, not much of an elevation change. Like you said, it's essentially a straight line. There are some gameplay changes later on in the game via some space ship missions that let you fly out in space in various directions while repairing your ship. Similar to Bosconian. The later levels really see some changes in style. From Area 51 to Soviet bases. Good stuff. Still, they remain, more or less, straight lines. Someone would be able to compare it to Metal Slug on the surface but they would be wrong.

I'm a big Metal Slug fan myself. Currently working on 4 but I need a better arcade stick. Got it within two credits. There's still plenty of room for improvement though.

Ironclad_Ninja said:
I need a better arcade stick
Oh, you know I'm itching to derail this one.

What are you currently using?

We must also take time to appreciate that while MS4 did finally use the 4th button for a dedicated "Vehicle Kamikazee" button, they retained the Attack+Jump activator so you didn't have to use it.
Playmore was just like, "Eh, what the hell."

Ironclad

What am I currently using?
:lol :lol :lol
*Hangs head in shame*
arcadesoulcaliber1large2zb.jpg

It was really cheap and I needed one that would work on all three consoles so I just went with this one. It worked fine for a while, but really, it doesn't fit my needs(or standards). I'm toying around with the idea of doing my own custom stick. I've got all the tools and everything, just need some time and some parts. I'll probably get around to it at the end of the summer.

As for the Metal Slug 4 kamikaze button, yeah, they just gave in on that. I never bothered with it. Attack + Jump always feels more natural.

Ugh, Nuby. I owned that one because... shit, I don't know. Anyway I sold it off pretty quick.

Also, Up+Jump in MS is Enter\Exit a vehicle. Attack+Jump while in a vehicle will send it on a crash course; which has accidently robbed me of a great in MS3's first stage more than once.

Ironclad

ArcadeStickMonk said:
Ugh, Nuby. I owned that one because... shit, I don't know. Anyway I sold it off pretty quick.

Also, Up+Jump in MS is Enter\Exit a vehicle. Attack+Jump while in a vehicle will send it on a crash course; which has accidently robbed me of a great in MS3's first stage more than once.
Of course. What the hell was I talking about? It really is getting late. Yeah, like I meant to say in my previous post, Attack + Jump feels more natural than reaching for the fourth button, at least when I play Metal Slug games it does.

ArcadeStickMonk said:
I could have sworn it was just plain old jump to enter a vehicle, and down+jump to exit.

Ranger X

I'm glad to see these guys are making another game and another old school one on top of that! Nice to see that this industry is not completely dead and without any futur!

Mrbob

Looks like the color depth seems to be a little lower in these pics too.

Lower color depth + widescreen must mean PSP. :D Methinks 2006 is going to be a great year for the little powerhouse portable!

Mrbob said:
Looks like the color depth seems to be a little lower in these pics too.

Lower color depth + widescreen must mean PSP. :D Methinks 2006 is going to be a great year for the little powerhouse portable!

LOL...lets see it get past SCEA Concept Approval

jarrod

Banned
monchi-kun said:
LOL...lets see it get past SCEA Concept Approval
Actually, I think they'll approve almost anything for PSP. This isn't consoles, SCEA can't be choosey when they're a distant second.

D

dicklaurent

Unconfirmed Member
Oh great. Looking forward to this for the classic game references alone. woh.

monchi-kun said:
It's a franchise you moron.....of course it has a better chance at getting SCEA approval

Yeah, like Metal Slug 3! Hur hur.

Jarrod's right, PSP needs all the games it can get at this point. Why don't you just do everyone a favor and shut the fuck up?

Hellraizah

ArcadeStickMonk said:
However, and I swear, if I do go through AH and every level is basically a long flat line... the next person who compares it to Metal Slug, I will punch in the face.
You will not be able to, as I will already be stomping them.

Sholmes said:
Yeah, like Metal Slug 3! Hur hur.

Jarrod's right, PSP needs all the games it can get at this point. Why don't you just do everyone a favor and shut the fuck up?

Hur Hur? what is that, a new retard language?

I'm not saying PSP doesn't need these kinds of games....my original comment was slagging SCEA for being tough on concept approvals...oh wait, let me translate that for you.

Hur Hur....Yadda, Hur Hur, uyew, Hur Hur, la la poo hur hur leh.

:lol

Sanjuro

You guys do realise that it says "PRESS START" for players 2-4....

If it was going to be multiplayer you would need to link up locally or online.

Matlock

Banned
Monchi-kun is correct--Sony has been unneccessarily hard on game concepts for the PSP. This is, of course, wh there's a dearth of PSP titles out now. Lots of 'em have been turned down.

As for MS3 vs. Darkstalker, well, 2D fighting games get better looks than 2D shooters. :)

if this sucker makes it to retail on PSP then i'll take a 2 month ban from GAF

translation

Hur Hur GAF Hur Dirka Dirka Hur
---------------

On another note my local Fry's is selling a shitload of import PSP games.....probably to offset the lack of titles being released on the platform

Top Bottom