• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Boomer Shooter tsunami

Apocryphon

Subscribed. Has anyone mentioned DUSK yet?
No, and that’s just heresy. Dusk is amazing and should probably also be credited for the successful revival of the genre.

Cultic and Prodeus have been a blast, and along with Ion Fury and Amid Evil they represent the best the FPS genre has been in the past 5 years. Where DNF failed us, these indie games delivered in spades. My Steam Deck is basically a retro-FPS console atm; in currently replaying Unreal Gold and having an absolute blast. So much nostalgia.

Ishma3L

Do we know what happened with Graven? Game looked cool from afar but IIRC people shat on it from being to simple or something.

Also... is there anything out there like Hexen? Loved that game, deserves it's own bunch of clones.

Try the demo to see if it is what you're into. Not as dark as Graven, but check it out. You might like it, you might not.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I haven't played all of these and I definitely will not, considering most are in early access hell, but but Amid Evil is a really excellent shooter.

Buggy Loop

Just finished the System shock remake demo. I really hope it releases next month as promised, really loved the experience.

Based on the classic Quake 3 Arena! Delicious game, but unfortunately there's no bot and... no servers in my area(lowest ping I found was 130).

ahtlas7

Thats a lot of
boom GIF
ER shooters. How many are actually good?

VN1X

Banned
I'm looking forward to this one. A boomer shooter mixed with 40k

Yeah can't wait for that one!

Also, bit disappointed to hear that WitchFire is going to be Early Access when it releases but especially so because it will be locked to EGS for, what I assume is, a full year to boot. Oh well, guess us Steamy-bois will get the proper version once it does finally hit Steam.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Avoid this one it is stuck in early access limbo.
I mean the dev is still giving bi-weekly updates on Discord & Steam. That said there is a vocal minority in the community that is not happy with how long it's been in EA which is fair enough I guess.

Personally I don't mind. I own the game but will wait to give it some more time in the oven before diving in.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
There's more of a glut of them than there ever was back in the day, but holy hell... so many of them are just plain awesome. There are a lot I'm really looking forward to, as well. Phantom Fury, Supplice, Cultic (the full game), and Selaco are probably my most anticipated. If Compound Fracture and Trepang2 count, those are on that list, too.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i dont like how so many of them are just themed around going to some hellish place and shooting demons of some sort. i feel like we could have more variety in this genre settings wise, like yeah we get that doom is your inspiration but do something more interesting & unique with it

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Boomer shooter is a shitty genre name, it’s fucking stupid, and people should stop overusing it.
the entire concept being based on nostalgia is flawed. The gameplay is the only thing they should be taking from the classics and its why i agree with the 'abandon 90s polygon' aesthetic as that'd be a push in the right direction to make the games less of a DOOM clone and more of its own original thing that just so happens to expand on the gameplay of Quake and DOOM.

a shooter that does this right is ashes 2063, it has a wholly original setting and more of a unique atmosphere than just HELL, DEMONS, KILLING, GORE
As well as Prodeus, Doom Golden Souls 2, Doom 2016, and ULTRAKILL (that game extends to religion in general and isn't just hell. The enemies you kill aren't stereotypical demons but rather robots and divine beings. It's different enough from the other games to get a mention imo)

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
i dont like how so many of them are just themed around going to some hellish place and shooting demons of some sort. i feel like we could have more variety in this genre settings wise, like yeah we get that doom is your inspiration but do something more interesting & unique with it

Shtef

Dread templar is really fun game, yes there are some annoying things like enemies getting stuck inside you, but overall i am really enjoying it.

Last edited:

raduque

I am yet again reminded how salty I still am that we never got more SiN Episodes. I bought it retail. I still have the discs! So mad.

Oh, and I still have to finish Ion Fury some day.

SweetShark

Dread templar is really fun game, yes there are some annoying things like enemies getting stuck inside you, but overall i am really enjoying it.
Started yesterday "Dread Templar" and reached the 1st Boss already. The gameplay 'wants' to be fun, but the enemies are booooooring!

SweetShark

Started yesterday "Dread Templar" and reached the 1st Boss already. The gameplay 'wants' to be fun, but the enemies are booooooring!
And update for the game:
I reached Episode 5 and...the game became a lot better!!!
The enemies are no longer boring as first. They have some specific quirks that make them challenging.
Plus the secrets...OH GOD THE SECRETS ARE GOOD!!!
TKH8iUC.jpg

Highly recommend it now, you just need to tolerate the first 2 boring episodes...

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I like how OP said he doesnt like a bunch of games that dont usel pixel art then went on to say he wishes games looked more like rogue legacy 2, which actually uses pixel art

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Can you add the game names to your descriptions? My work blocked the videos so no idea what games you are talking about.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm glad this was bumped, but I still fucking hate the term boomer shooter and die a little inside when I see stores promoting that as a named class of game.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
The curious thing is that Baby Boomers had nothing to do with the FPS we are now emulating.
For example, John Carmack was born in 1970, so he is a GenX. And most people who played his games at the time were GenX and Millennials.
There might have been some Baby Boomers that played these games, or even helped making a few. But they were the exception.

Madflavor

I can confirm Ion Fury is a badass game and one of the best old school style FPS I've played. Shelly is my kind of girl:

Can't wait for it's sequel coming out this year:

Top Bottom