• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Boys – Season 3 Trailer

Ammogeddon

Another great episode in a great season. I’m pretty desensitised to shit but even my jaw has been on the floor a few times.

Anthony Starr is so damn good. It’ll be a crime if this guy doesn’t get some more recognition. He was awesome in Banshee too but this is another level.

BouncyFrag

I love Karl Urban.
7-B503-FDF-613-E-43-E6-A63-C-FF954-D3271-F1.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
My only issue with Starr's performance is that it often looks like he has his cheeks stuffed. Not sure if that is what is actually happening, or if he just contorts his face in weird ways but its hella distracting at times. The ridiculous muscle suit he always has to wear limits his outfits as well.

Otherwise he is CRUSHING it as Homelander. MCU and DCU should be taking notes on how to write a villain from him.

Fbh

Great episode. I'm glad it wasn't all just gratuitous shock value with the whole Herogasm thing but they actually further developed the characters and moved the story forward in significant ways.

This season has been pretty damn good so far. Feels like a step-up from previous seasons but I'm honestly still not sure what that really means because despite me remembering enjoying it all, I recall only standout moments as opposed to whole seasons.

Maybe I'm weird, but for a show that is so extreme it doesn't leave much of a lasting impression on me.

To me season 2 was rather forgettable. It had some standout moments but felt rather messy and like there wasn't much of a "main plot". Major characters were just doing random stuff on their own and "The Boys" themselves almost felt like filler in their own show.

This seasons has been much better and feels like a return to form from where they left of after S1. You still have various groups and character dynamics with their own subplots, but almost all of it feels like it's part of one big cohesive main plot of "The boys vs Homelander"

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Anyone get deja vu when at the end when Homelander screams as his eyes light up and flies off reminded me of when in endgame Thor is facing off against Thanos and screams as his eyes light up toward the end of the movie.

UnNamed

Banned
Anyone get deja vu when at the end when Homelander screams as his eyes light up and flies off reminded me of when in endgame Thor is facing off against Thanos and screams as his eyes light up toward the end of the movie.
That reminds me that scene with Neo in Matrix Reloaded

jason10mm

Gold Member
This. It'll be disappointing if Homelander is defeated because that's what everyone is expecting.

I want Homelander to kill every member of the boys and Sup that is against him, then take over the planet as it's dictator ruler.

That would make an interesting ending.
They need to resolve Homelander, one way or another, quickly. It's becoming more and more of a narrative strain that Homelander COULD kill the Boys anytime with few to no repercussions but chooses not to for....reasons? His kid is hidden, yeah, but that wouldn't stop someone with Vought behind him. He wants adoration, yeah, but he can force that like North Korea. So constantly holding himself back against the main characters but casually killing so many others just doesn't make sense. The jumper girl, Supersonic, those were deaths that could have easily been Hughie, Butcher, or possibly even Starlight for all the impact it had on Homelander's reputation.

I'm guessing he gets a shot of Soldier Boy's anti-V radiation or whatever "cured" Kimiko and has to go on the run, living as a normie for a while, or even better, has to fake his powers to convince his enemies to not kill him off even as he tries to run Vought.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
That A-Train scene (pick one) was really powerful in-universe. Him ACTUALLY apologizing to Hughie, Ashley giving him some reality and the look on his face as he realizes the truth of what she's saying and the way he finally lets loose on Blue Hawk and the WAY he did it (like a lynching... Actually like a real life killing by klan members against a black man in TX)... I was floored!

Just started watching Episode 4. And every time I'm reminded... the chick that plays Neuman. I don't know what it is, but something about her is pretty hot :messenger_tears_of_joy:

S2 was so mid, this season it's actually got teeth. Don't really care for Soldier Boy but he is a plot device character. We'll see if he makes it to the end of the season.

Judging by how EK wrote supernatural another all powerful will arrive at some point.
You called it. Happened slightly differently than I thought it would but wow did you call it.

Last season and most of this season dropped hope in front of me. Today's episode ending just swept it all away, under the rug where it belonged in the first place. I need to start changing how I think about this show to be more like Game of Thrones because I can see where it's all headed. On GoT a large percentage of characters were assholes from the beginning so you knew not to foolishly believe in heroes. This show keeps trying to make me think otherwise, hanging that heroic good guy carrot on a stick. It's devious and that's what makes it so great.

pramod

Banned
Are they going to kill off Soldier Boy like they killed off the main "new" character the last few seasons? It kinda feels like it to me. His character "arc" or what barely there was of it doesn't seem to have anywhere to go from here.
I'm actually kinda bored of his character already, it's pretty one dimensional. (not evil but just another arrogant jerkoff)

Anyways the show is still good but I think Ep 7 was probably the weakest so far as writing goes. It's not Disney+ territory but a lot of the stuff just didn't make sense. Like how did Starlight even walk right into Vought to steal the V...after what she did and said.
And they just "undid" stuff that happened before.

Also I didn't mind all the Trump/Homelander satire at first, but now it's getting so blatant and with zero subtlety, especially the whole parody of the MAGA stuff, it's not even good satire anymore.

Last edited:
Are they going to kill off Soldier Boy like they killed off the main "new" character the last few seasons? It kinda feels like it to me. His character "arc" or what barely there was of it doesn't seem to have anywhere to go from here.
I'm actually kinda bored of his character already, it's pretty one dimensional. (not evil but just another arrogant jerkoff)

Anyways the show is still good but I think Ep 7 was probably the weakest so far as writing goes. It's not Disney+ territory but a lot of the stuff just didn't make sense. Like how did Starlight even walk right into Vought to steal the V...after what she did and said.
And they just "undid" stuff that happened before.

Also I didn't mind all the Trump/Homelander satire at first, but now it's getting so blatant and with zero subtlety, especially the whole parody of the MAGA stuff, it's not even good satire anymore.
Just finished Episode 7 last night after I came back from hanging out with friends and, yeah, this is a great writeup... agree with you on sale fronts. Hopefully it was the low point of this season and things will get better from here.

AJUMP23

These writers are so far left I bet they are Mao apologist.

A lot of people trying to "both sides" the satire but I think we all know where the writers stand.

It was painfully obvious even during Season 2.

Not that I mind though, I'm very much enjoying the show. (Not Season 3 Episode 7 though, it was pretty weak 😂)

A lot of people trying to "both sides" the satire but I think we all know where the writers stand.

Not that I mind though, I'm very much enjoying the show. (Not Season 3 Episode 7 though, it was pretty weak 😂)
I actually think they're centrists. Legend has it that they exist, but left and right leaning types both like to try and toss them across the pond in any way they can.

I actually think they're centrists. Legend has it that they exist, but left and right leaning types both like to try and toss them across the pond in any way they can.
It's a fair thought, but I don't believe these particular writers are centrists for even one second.

If you told me that, for example, the South Park writers are libertarian centrists, I would believe it. They have been consistent, for decades now, about making fun of anyone and everyone almost equally.

They could've made Soldier Boy into an awesome character. The concept of him being some sort of combination Captain America + Winter Soldier seems like a good premise. But alas... As it stands it's a wasted opportunity.

UnNamed

Banned
I predicted this ending some time ago. It was easy, after all it makes perfectly sense considering Homelander's evolution:

First season: he lose/betrayed by his "mother"
Second season: he lose/betrayed by his son (+ fiancée)
Third season: he will lose/betrayed by (both) his "father"

I would be not surprised if we'll see a "brother" in the next season.

pramod

Banned
They could've made Soldier Boy into an awesome character. The concept of him being some sort of combination Captain America + Winter Soldier seems like a good premise. But alas... As it stands it's a wasted opportunity.
Yeah i have the same feeling about Noir. He was the mysterious xfactor in the comics but in the show hes just another...abused victim of a racist white dude.

YCoCg

Gold Member
not really, they show a couple boobies in the background and the showrunners instantly felt like they've committed some cardinal sin so in response show even more graphic male nudity and have love sausage answer the door. but its because there's the easy comedy in male nudity.
Two fully naked older women masturbating full frontal was featured in this weeks episode.

BaneIsPain

I predicted this ending some time ago. It was easy, after all it makes perfectly sense considering Homelander's evolution:

First season: he lose/betrayed by his "mother"
Second season: he lose/betrayed by his son (+ fiancée)
Third season: he will lose/betrayed by (both) his "father"

I would be not surprised if we'll see a "brother" in the next season.
I was thinking that as well. Still, this season is great overall.

maybe a second "black noir" next season?

Majukun

didn't like the episode's anti character development for Butcher and Hughie.
they looked at the cusp of some steps forward, and then they somersaulted back to the start of the episode like it never happened for no reason

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I really like this season. It's one of those few shows where I've been on-board with every twist they've thrown so far--which is pretty incredible!

Also:
the way out for Hughie and Butcher at this point is permanent Compound V....right? Butcher has done V the 5 times, and Hughie 4. Unless the show bends the "rules" of temporary V, Butcher is dead and Hughie can't take another dose without dying

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Security at Vought is a joke. Seems that anybody who works there and just walk in and take V and temp V whenever they want.

Why would the supes have access to the lab? Why isn't the V locked down? It's the most valuable substance on the planet, but here comes Annie, just walking in and taking whatever she likes. That shit should be locked down tighter than hamsters ass hole.

Last edited:
Security at Vought is a joke. Seems that anybody who works there and just walk in and take V and temp V whenever they want.

Why would the supes have access to the lab? Why isn't the V locked down? It's the most valuable substance on the planet, but here comes Annie, just walking in and taking whatever she likes. That shit should be locked down tighter than hamsters ass hole.

This was a known detail ever since Lamplighter snuck in last Season with Hughie(Lamplighter's I.D. credentials were never removed) and then LL set himself on fire in The Seven's board room. Their security continues to be the same amount of bad, probably even worse this season, since The Deep fired 95% of the security/crimewatch team and Homelander is running around the building threatening everyone.

I really like this season. It's one of those few shows where I've been on-board with every twist they've thrown so far--which is pretty incredible!

Also:
the way out for Hughie and Butcher at this point is permanent Compound V....right? Butcher has done V the 5 times, and Hughie 4. Unless the show bends the "rules" of temporary V, Butcher is dead and Hughie can't take another dose without dying
Yep, pretty much sure theyll go for the blue stuff next time.

Fbh

Episode 7 was pretty good too.

This was a known detail ever since Lamplighter snuck in last Season with Hughie(Lamplighter's I.D. credentials were never removed) and then LL set himself on fire in The Seven's board room. Their security continues to be the same amount of bad, probably even worse this season, since The Deep fired 95% of the security/crimewatch team and Homelander is running around the building threatening everyone.

Yup. Security being specially bad right now makes sense given the context of what is going on at Vought. Also she did still get caught.

Also:

Pretty much yeah, or a more lame and cheap option which would be some new super with healing powers.

Yup.
Still like the show but it's not hard to see the political leaning of the writers.
People say "both sides" because they make fun of the PR exploitation of the whole LGBT thing, but that's just making fun of giant corporations. There's pretty much no real jabs at woke culture and the left in general

Last edited:

Hugare

Also:

I think Hughie can still survive if he stops injecting it from now on, but yeah, Butcher is already gone

But Butcher dying is a given. He will sacrifice himself in order to save Hughie or something like that in the end, due to his guilt for Lenny's death

I love every decision that they are taking with the story. They are developing all the characters, and each one of them have an interesting arch.

So much better than the comics, and its not even funny. It's a miracle that the series is turning out as great as it is.

They should kill the series at season 5 tho. Anything more than that, and the mojo will be gone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom