• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Constitutional Court of South Korea approved the impeachment of President Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

36270193_303.jpg

The Constitutional Court of South Korea approved the parliamentary impeachment of President Park Geun-hye in a ruling on Friday morning.

In a unanimous verdict, the eight-judge panel upheld the decision to remove Park from office.

Chief justice Lee Jung-Mi said that Park's actions had "seriously impaired the spirit of [...] democracy and the rule of law."

Park was impeached in December amid a corruption scandal. The president's close confidante Choi Soon-sil has been accused of extorting money from corporations such as Samsung.

More here

http://m.dw.com/en/south-korea-cons...nt-park-geun-hye-must-leave-office/a-37878308

Lock if old

Zubz

Banned
I'm so happy to hear that all of SK's protesting paid off! I just hope it does in other countries where this kind of thing has happened...

Tevious

I feel like this took way longer than it should've.

The courts took a long time the last time this happened, too (170 days? iirc). But they decided to keep that guy.

I'm so happy to hear that all of SK's protesting paid off! I just hope it does in other countries where this kind of thing has happened...

US needs to have protests every weekend in front of the whitehouse and across the country. Put the pressure on the Republicans.

I hope Trump is watching the news and a chill has run up and down his poor excuse for a spine.

You're next Trump , you fucking useless shit for brains.

Zen Aku

Justice is served. Btw can someone tell me. Is Park consider a conservative or liberal in South Korea? I assume conservative.

Trump better be taking some notes on what to do to prevent this, because it could very much happen.....
probably not

Justice is served. Btw can someone tell me. Is Park consider a conservative or liberal in South Korea? I assume conservative.

Center-right. There hasn't been a liberal President for like 9 years. If Moon Jae-in wins (he most likely will), he'll be the first since he's center-left.

How is he? a good candidate?

Run of the mill. He acknowledges that wage stagnation and youth unemployment is hurting the country. He's made lip service on those two things, he also agreed that the family run chaebols are hurting smaller business and wants to handle it...without hurting their (the chaebols) bottom line.

Basically he's the equivalent of an American corporate friendly democrat.

Zen Aku

Run of the mill. He acknowledges that wage stagnation and youth unemployment is hurting the country. He's made lip service on those two things, he also agreed that the family run chaebols are hurting smaller business and wants to handle it...without hurting their (the chaebols) bottom line.

I guess if he turn out to not be corrupt, it will be way better than anything South Korea has in decades.

Tommy DJ

Shh... let me dream...

Ignoring the poor governmental system of Japan, they're currently going through similar problems as the United States.

Even if people get out to vote, you still have serious issues with regards to jerrymandering and malapportionment. Some rural areas have over 2x the voting power than the rest of the country.

Which isn't constitutional but the LDP (and I imagine most people) don't seriously care. As long as you don't mess with XYZ's fiefdom, you're not going to have any trouble and the country can limp along as it has been.

He was a attorney that provided free defense for people that got tortured by the military dictatorship. For Free.
Lets not forget that the military dictatorship still exists in Korea. He has been fighting thhem his whole life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom