• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew 2 Open Beta |OT| Plains, Boats & Automobiles

Redshirt

Banned
TF2myNG.jpg

Which platforms?
PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4

When is it?
June 21 10am UTC | 4am EST

When does it end?
June 25 10am UTC | 4am EST

Can I preload?
Yup! Since E3 on all platforms: https://thecrew-game.ubisoft.com/the-crew-2/en-us/beta/index.aspx

There's a beta contest?
Yes. One for North America and a different one for Europe. Register on the beta page and get to Fame level 2 to enter.

There's no PvP? WTF?
Yeah. There's no PvP lobbies until December, but there is co-op-style PvP.

P.S. for those that haven't been following along:
All DLC is free save three cars (incl. a Porsche) that are exclusive to the season pass.

Open Beta Trailer:

Some Joker Wants to Race:

cormack12

Gold Member
Thanks for the heads-up. Downloaded before on PS4. Beta tested the first crew but never really stuck with me. From what I've seen this looks quite polished and fun so I'll give it a look

Redshirt

Banned
I think Crew is a better game than a lot of people realized.

Not saying this is for everyone but definitely worth a look. :)

Gold_Loot

I enjoyed the closed beta, but that build didn’t feature wheel support on PS4. anyone’s know if it’s in on this one?

wipeout364

Does anybody understand how the season pass works? It seems like a rip off. The only way I can see it being worth it is if they do what they did in rainbow six and make the grind for those cars that are part of it very prohibitive ( like tens of hours) is this what they are doing? I am in if they do this but I really don’t care about early access so that is a none starter for me.

Fox Mulder

Will check this game out. Forza Horizon was my shit, but I sold my xb1. This may fill that hole, and having a licensed Redbull F1 car is something I've wanted in these kinds of "realistic" open world arcade racing games for years.

drotahorror

Gonna give this a shot again. I was pretty disappointed last beta but I didn't give it much of a chance. I loved the first Crew.

Redshirt

Banned
Does anybody understand how the season pass works? It seems like a rip off. The only way I can see it being worth it is if they do what they did in rainbow six and make the grind for those cars that are part of it very prohibitive ( like tens of hours) is this what they are doing? I am in if they do this but I really don’t care about early access so that is a none starter for me.

So, like a dumbass, I had already purchased the Gold edition from GMG before Ubi announced what the season pass is. Not sure I would purchase it today.

It gives you:
3 exclusive vehicles: Porsche 911 Turbo 3.6 plus a boat and a plane
7 days early access to all subsequent DLC vehicles
1 exclusive home and 2 exclusive outfits
20% VIP discount on all in-game purchases made with Bucks

Ubi also hinted at other perks throughout the year during the Open Beta Twitch stream yesterday, but...

E94ybuC.png

Last edited:
I tried the first game briefly but the vehicle handling felt off to me. Hopefully it's improved in this one as I like the concept.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

I am gonna have to skip this, eventhough in the closed beta i felt the gameplay was much better than Crew 1

still enjoying OnRush and Horizon 4 is out in few months

Redshirt

Banned
I tried the first game briefly but the vehicle handling felt off to me. Hopefully it's improved in this one as I like the concept.

The sequel is much better out of the gate. The cars are much weightier this time.

There's also a lot more tuning this time around too, but we haven't really gotten to fiddle with much since the options are hidden behind progression.

I am gonna have to skip this, eventhough in the closed beta i felt the gameplay was much better than Crew 1

still enjoying OnRush and Horizon 4 is out in few months

Yeah. OnRush looks amazing. I will definitely get it when it comes to PC.

Love Horizon and am getting that too, but it takes itself so seriously that it doesn't scratch the same itch for me as The Crew or even NFS Payback. Plus, I'm a sucker for the caRPG aspect.

Last edited:

Rayderism

I have some very important questions that NEED to be answered before I even consider buying this game......

1. Can the entire game be played solo? Despite the forced online connection, I do not wish to play multi-player.

2. Can the game be started over if I so choose? Couldn't do that in the first Crew game after the graphics update without creating an alt account and I hated that. I will NOT create an alt PSN account.

3. Will Crew 2 have landmarks like the first one? That was probably my favorite part of the game. Not sure why, but I enjoyed finding them all.

4. Will my save file be local to my system or will it only be on their servers? (related to question 2)

Redshirt

Banned
1. Yes.

2. Not sure, but I doubt it.

3. Haven't seem them in either the closed or open beta.

4. I think it's server-side.

Rayderism

I have some very important questions that NEED to be answered before I even consider buying this game......

1. Can the entire game be played solo? Despite the forced online connection, I do not wish to play multi-player.

2. Can the game be started over if I so choose? Couldn't do that in the first Crew game after the graphics update without creating an alt account and I hated that. I will NOT create an alt PSN account.

3. Will Crew 2 have landmarks like the first one? That was probably my favorite part of the game. Not sure why, but I enjoyed finding them all.

4. Will my save file be local to my system or will it only be on their servers? (related to question 2)
1. Yes.

2. Not sure, but I doubt it.

3. Haven't seem them in either the closed or open beta.

4. I think it's server-side.

Ugh! Tough sell for me........but since I love my arcade racers, I'll probably buy it anyway. sigh.....

The sequel is much better out of the gate. The cars are much weightier this time.

There's also a lot more tuning this time around too, but we haven't really gotten to fiddle with much since the options are hidden behind progression.
That's encouraging, might give it a shot.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The beta felt a little dull. Better than the first, but still missing something.

drotahorror

I just can't get into this. I think my expectations are different ever since really enjoying Forza Horizon 3. I feel like there should be way more events scattered throughout. I was driving from LA to Vegas, it was about 18 or 19 miles from where I was at. Not one single event all the way there. The only thing I found was a blip on my radar to direct me to a live loot thing. The races are actually pretty fun though, I'll give it that. And the city graphics look great.

wipeout364

So, like a dumbass, I had already purchased the Gold edition from GMG before Ubi announced what the season pass is. Not sure I would purchase it today.

It gives you:
3 exclusive vehicles: Porsche 911 Turbo 3.6 plus a boat and a plane
7 days early access to all subsequent DLC vehicles
1 exclusive home and 2 exclusive outfits
20% VIP discount on all in-game purchases made with Bucks

Ubi also hinted at other perks throughout the year during the Open Beta Twitch stream yesterday, but...

E94ybuC.png

That can’t be it though there has to be more to it. Those added cars must be very hard to get or why would anybody buy it? And what would the VIP thing be about do you have to buy paint jobs for your cars with real money.
There is just too much unclear about all this I was going to buy this but I am not going to buy it till things are presented in a clear manner. If the cars were exclusive to the season pass I would get it but it doesn’t even sound like that is the case.
Companies need to be clear with what they are selling you, this kind of deliberate obfuscation of the facts turns me off. This is 40 dollars;half the price of the game.

joe_zazen

Anyone else miss the dumb story? Not sure if gaining followers and increasing cool quotient is enough to get me motivated, as the actual gameplay seems a little dull.

Redshirt

Banned
That can’t be it though there has to be more to it. Those added cars must be very hard to get or why would anybody buy it? And what would the VIP thing be about do you have to buy paint jobs for your cars with real money.
There is just too much unclear about all this I was going to buy this but I am not going to buy it till things are presented in a clear manner. If the cars were exclusive to the season pass I would get it but it doesn’t even sound like that is the case.
Companies need to be clear with what they are selling you, this kind of deliberate obfuscation of the facts turns me off. This is 40 dollars;half the price of the game.

Only one car (Porsche 911) is exclusive to the season pass. But yeah, if you're having doubts, I wouldn't buy it.

Anyone else miss the dumb story? Not sure if gaining followers and increasing cool quotient is enough to get me motivated, as the actual gameplay seems a little dull.

Somewhat. I mean Payback (which critics hated) had an amazing arcade racer story imho.

But The Crew story was pretty bad lol. I do know what you mean though.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I downloaded this on both my One X and PS4 Pro, the One X version makes you download and install the Ubisoft App and then create an account and log in before you can play.. What's up with that?? So I'm playing on my Pro which requires none of that BS, ain't nobody got time for dat!

Also initial impressions of the character models and some of the story cut scenes in the beginning seemed a bit dated, their mouths were out of sync with their voice etc. Not sure if this is normal practice in a closed beta, I thought it was meant to be an almost finished product. But the cars and city and look very nice. Only played for an hour and half and done a few street races but I'm really surprised at how much is in the beta. I really don't need to buy another game right now but I can see myself buying this. My last racing game I bought was Need for Speed payback which was a little disappointing, I think the racing in this is definitely a lot more fun!

Last edited:

psn

When you played FH3 before, the handling feels so weird in The Crew 2. The steering itself is weird, way too easy imo. Still doesn't feel like there is any weight to the car. I mean, you get punished for breaking in the corner. My friend just kept crashing into the walls and was faster than me driving the racing line.

Also: I turned off FXAA etc, but it still looks a bit muddy in the distance. Don't know if this is engine related or just a bug in their config. Not being able to get a sharp picture is a turnoff for me :/

And what the heck is that car list, not even a Toyota Supra MK IV? NO TOYOTA AT ALL? No e92/e46/e30 m3?

You really appreciate the variety in FH3 when you see that car list :/

Last edited:
Have the developers that made this game ever even been in the US? The enviroments is really lacking and most buildings and so on looks off. GTA V looks like america, The Crew 2 i dont even know... Not even driving around in the country side feels like you are driving around in the US since the roads and so on is lacking the detail.

I took a drive from LA to Dallas in the game and not once did it feel or look like i was driving on US roads.

Last edited:

Redshirt

Banned
And what the heck is that car list, not even a Toyota Supra MK IV? NO TOYOTA AT ALL? No e92/e46/e30 m3?

You really appreciate the variety in FH3 when you see that car list :/

I don't think this is an Ubi issue. Toyota production cars aren't in FM7 and presumably won't be in FH3 either.

But in general, yeah, Horizon is king among arcade racers when it comes to vehicle selection.

Crew 2 is the best open world racer created. I hated the first one, this one has been fully reworked and it shows. Much better physics, design, graphics, and gameplay all around. Changing into all 3 vehicle types keeps things interesting and fresh. Flying in the air and transforming mid air into a car to land on a sky scraper in New York is just something you cant do in any other game. Looks incredible on the X and the photo mode is actually really well done considering the replay system is implemented into it allowing you to catch every second even if it had just passed.

Bravo Ubi, Crew 2 has won me over. Day 1 purchase.
dgQxRGT.jpg
OvkHoXS.jpg
9VZ3u0X.jpg

A5Nr74c.jpg
jludebL.jpg
OmYlTkN.png

Last edited:

Redshirt

Banned
I'm suddenly having a problem with the camera in freestyle aeroplane events with outer and inner loops. Anyone else have this problem?

Thought it might be an Xbox controller gone bad, but I tried several.

They are in FH3, I bet they will be in FH4 as well:
https://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/games/fh3/cars/toyota

Well, I hope you're right, but I don't think so. This issue with Toyota and at least one other JDM happened between FH3 and FM7.

Rumor is they're exclusive to the new Gran Turismo.

Also, none of the known FH4 cars are Toyota except for some special race vehicles, which were in FM7 too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom