• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew has been delisted from all digital storefronts | Servers will close on March 31, 2024

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
My point is that online only requirement can be patched out. It's software.
That's never going to happen with this game I bet my left bollock.

As much as I would love that myself I don't see it.

UBI doesn't seem like the company to let their online only games become available to carry on without them. I bet most of what you saw ingame was always server side..

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
That's never going to happen with this game I bet my left bollock.

As much as I would love that myself I don't see it.

UBI doesn't seem like the company to let their online only games become available to carry on without them. I bet most of what you saw ingame was always server side..

What do you mean most of the in-game was server side?

And yeah, obviously Ubisoft will do shit about it, but I'm talking about people who love the game. If they feel like it's worth saving, you can expect community patch to enable single player content or even a multiplayer long after servers are down, just like in case of TDU2 and other games.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I guess having to update server security stuff for all games forever is not feasible.
But making your previous games kinda disappear seems just weird. As though the newer Crew replaces this older one. Makes not even sense with Fifa and Madden etc.
Kill the online portion once player count is too low anyway, okay, but some revenue must be generated also from older or ancient stuff too. Why not just leave the rest up for new generations to discover and try it? There were not tons of people online, but I platinumed recently Split Second or Nfs MW since those still worked and they provided fun even though kinda outdated.
That's all licensing stuff. Cars, characters from tv/movies etc, real life likenesses, and music are usually the main culprits.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
What do you mean most of the in-game was server side?

And yeah, obviously Ubisoft will do shit about it, but I'm talking about people who love the game. If they feel like it's worth saving, you can expect community patch to enable single player content or even a multiplayer long after servers are down, just like in case of TDU2 and other games.
If it works offline, great.

I doubt it will 🤷‍♂️

All I can do is refuse to buy UBI games from here on out. I'm just curious if Steam will refund it.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's disgraceful that I'm able to grab a 25 year old NFS4 off a shelf and play it any time I want, but when it comes to another racing title that's not even a decade old, it will become completely unplayable even though I'm holding a physical copy of it in my hands. There should be laws against this sort of thing.

I swear I will never buy another Ubisoft game again (or any live service title for that matter), and I don't even care about that Star Wars game that's coming up anymore. Everyone else should also follow suit and quit bankrolling these kinds of industry practices. Vote with your wallets, people, let them know that this is not acceptable.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
It's disgraceful that I'm able to grab a 25 year old NFS4 off a shelf and play it any time I want, but when it comes to another racing title that's not even a decade old, it will become completely unplayable even though I'm holding a physical copy of it in my hands. There should be laws against this sort of thing.

I swear I will never buy another Ubisoft game again (or any live service title for that matter), and I don't even care about that Star Wars game that's coming up anymore. Everyone else should also follow suit and quit bankrolling these kinds of industry practices. Vote with your wallets, people, let them know that this is not acceptable.
9CHs3Ve.gif

100% guarantee this game is getting delisted because of the licensing agreements with the auto manufacturers. AC Black Flag came out in 2013 and the MP still works.

TC came out in 2014, UBI isnt going to keep paying licensing on a 10yo game that hardly anyone plays when they already paying licensing on 2 other crew games.

Drizzlehell

Banned
100% guarantee this game is getting delisted because of the licensing agreements with the auto manufacturers.
This eventually happens to most racing games. But the licensing issue typically only prevents the publisher from continuing to sell the game so you're still able to play your copy if you bought it before delisting or have a physical one. Ubisoft is pulling the plug on The Crew because the game's functionalities are tied to central servers and they can't be fucked to release an offline mode for it at this point.

Dutchy

I remember having an argument about this with Sennin. He told me that Microsoft would never delist a game because of their deep pockets.

Referred him to about 20 xbox games that got delisted and he never replied.

Anyway. It's such a shitty practice. People saying stuff like "You can't have everthing forever" or "Why would you want to play such an old game?" Are the absolute. Completely tone deaf and unable to see the bigger picture.

BigLee74

Delisting games is not the problem.

Requiring an online connection to play a game, even a single player campaign, is the problem. And that’s what we have here.

I was unlikely to play through this again (I did complete it when it came out and enjoyed it), but it still bugs me to know that I can’t ever play it again.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Any online game that doesn't allow players to host their own servers is irredeemable dogshit.

Drew1440

Any game that requires a constant online connection just does not exist to me.

Roni

Gold Member
Hopefully, shutting down the servers of beloved games becomes widespread and notorious enough that new releases without a P2P option (or dedicated servers, remember those days?) won't be tolerated.

Futaleufu

As someone who has 50 hours on TC1 and 650 hours on TC2, I'm not going to be upset when the servers shutdown. TC2 has so many QoL improvements over the original I never went back.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
The writing has been on the wall for awhile now with Ubisoft. I think in the last 20 years, I bought like one Prince of Persia game, that's it. The banther between folks on GAF about AssCred soured me over the series, so I decided to skip it all. Maybe when I am retired I can see what all the meme and samey-type bullshit is all about. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Denton

They really are going through with this and stealing the game from people who bought it huh

I have 57 Ubi games in my uplay account, but from now on, Ubi goes on my "deeeeep sale only" list.

M0G

They really are going through with this and stealing the game from people who bought it huh

I have 57 Ubi games in my uplay account, but from now on, Ubi goes on my "deeeeep sale only" list.

There is a server emulator possibly being worked on called The Crew Unlimited, on Discord. I think bringing the game back is a long way off, but there is a tool for grabbing part of your server side save data. I have mad respect for the communities that fight to bring back games like this. I kinda picked at The Crew but it always got pushed back down the backlog, I would have liked to been able to keep coming back to it though.

xrnzaaas

So why would I buy the crew 2 or the TCM now?
I wouldn't. Motorfest went off my wishlist after the delisting announcement. Maybe I'll play it in Game Pass down the road, maybe I won't.

It kinda feels like they're struggling with the servers even in the newest installment, because from what I've read the game logs you out even after a short period of inactivity.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

Indeed, and the servers will have been up for nearly ten years by the time it goes offline. I don't think too many people can complain about that really, I wouldn't.

And yet here I am just recently playing a game online literally released 25 years ago with random people across the world... Just allow people to run their own servers and games can thrive. If I enjoy a game and purchased it, why do they have the power to just remove my ability to play it as it was offered to me, regardless if anyone else is playing? Either allow players to run their own servers or give me my money back.

nikos

People crying in here don't even play the game. Probably never have.

The game has two really good sequels. Servers don't stay up forever, that's nothing new.

NeoGiffer

People crying in here don't even play the game. Probably never have.

The game has two really good sequels. Servers don't stay up forever, that's nothing new.
Get off Ubisoft's dildo for a second will you?

Oh and I own it. Went to Vegas via Miami without fast travel just last week, had a whale of a time with the some of the worst NPC's in recent history....so the jokes on you pal!

SoloCamo

Yeah, I mean you've only had 10 years to buy the bloody game.

So if I was born late and didn't experience a game/movie, I should never be able to because of a time frame it was sold in? I can at least go buy old consoles/games. Removing a digital only game is completely different.

nikos

Get off Ubisoft's dildo for a second will you?

Oh and I own it. Went to Vegas via Miami without fast travel just last week, had a whale of a time with the some of the worst NPC's in recent history....so the jokes on you pal!

If you're still playing this game then it genuinely sucks for you. Most people in this thread don't play or care about it though.

Stating that doesn't put me on "Ubisoft's dildo." I haven't played this since around the time it released.

So if I was born late and didn't experience a game/movie, I should never be able to because of a time frame it was sold in? I can at least go buy old consoles/games. Removing a digital only game is completely different.

But that just a load of crap. It's hard to walk into any shop and see games officially (read not 2nd hand) on sale that are more than 10 years old. I wasn't born in the '50s, but please may I be allowed to see the Beatles Live? It's not fair Mum....

Last edited:

SoloCamo

But that just a load of crap. It's hard to walk into any shop and see games officially on sale that are more than 10 years old. I wasn't born in the '50s, but please may I be allowed to see the Beatles Live? It's not fair Mum....

I know you have been trained to think this way but do understand that you can go to ebay and many outlets and still get these items. If a digital item is literally pulled from the stores it's not like you have a second hand option - let alone if the game requires online only. The equivalence to a concert is laughable, especially considering you know, humans age and die? We are talking data on a drive here, not living creatures.

I know you have been trained to think this way but do understand that you can go to ebay and many outlets and still get these items. If a digital item is literally pulled from the stores it's not like you have a second hand option - let alone if the game requires online only. The equivalence to a concert is laughable, especially considering you know, humans age and die? We are talking data on a drive here, not living creatures.

No, you've just had 10 years or more

In my training, if you don't look to buy a game after 10 years of it on sale, odds are you aren't interested.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

No, you've just had 10 years or more

In my training, if you don't look to buy a game after 10 years of it on sale, odds are you aren't interested.

Odd, I finally got around to buying Fallout NV a week ago - a game which came out in 2010 and I have been enjoying it immensely. If it was pulled guess what, I would have never been able to enjoy it. There is zero excuse to pull games or make them online only.

Odd, I finally got around to buying Fallout NV a week ago - a game which came out in 2010 and I have been enjoying it immensely. If it was pulled guess what, I would have never been able to enjoy it. There is zero excuse to pull games or make them online only.
A game which BTW you can't just walk into a retail chain (not 2nd hand) and buy anymore brand new ... I don't need 10 years for any game I'm interested in, but that's my Wesh Valley's training

Last edited:

SoloCamo

A game which BTW you can't just walk into a retail chain (not 2nd hand) and buy anymore brand new ... I don't need 10 years for any game I'm interested in, but that's my Wesh Valley's training

Unless you literally know about every single game released there is a chance you will miss a gem of a game if you limit yourself like that. I've gone back and played tons of games I never even heard about.

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

If you're still playing this game then it genuinely sucks for you. Most people in this thread don't play or care about it though.

Stating that doesn't put me on "Ubisoft's dildo." I haven't played this since around the time it released.

Ubisoft should have put in a patch so it can be played offline. Yes?

That is the main point of the discussion in the thread and that if you buy a game which only works online that should always be accessible unless the solution stated above.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

Most people who played The Crew 1 finished the story, never played MP and then uninstalled the game or moved on to The Crew 2. Then a lot of people moved to Motorfest but still play TC2 summits to get cars they can import later to Motorfest. Personally I'm waiting for Ubisoft to release the game on Steam and I would dedicate time to both games until I'm able to get everything from TC2 in MF.

Puskas

Delisting the game due to licensing and closing the servers is completely fine and normal. But if that game is 'always-online', you'd better patch that shit out. Lazy bums.
Atleast Polyphony Digital proved me wrong with GT Sport.

Definitely not buying TC:MF anytime in the near future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom