• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S2| You guys look like shit - Wednesdays on Syfy

Steejee

Really enjoyed the finale, only part that felt like it shouldn't ended when it did was with our favorite oddball trio - seems like they should have gotten one more scene to set up "What now?" rather than just ending on Bobbi's rampage.

Venus part was trippy. I really liked the expression of wonder over showing one of terror - they got to see something absolutely amazing, something they could have never imagined. Longing for exploration and knowledge outweighed that of self-preservation. Do wonder if they'll end up surviving - I had figured the protomolecule might have vaporized the Mars ship after realizing it was a weapon, but could preserve the exploration ship since it's not.

Calling Frankie Adams a skinny chick? Lol

Whatever man. In the books she is described as a tough no bs chick along the size of a guy like Amos. In the show the acress who portrays here is nowherear near that frame of description AND neither is her character compared to the books. The look of the character i can get over with however not that much over the fact that her character behaved completely like a wuss (in most of her scenes) compared to her book self.

Also, Tom Bombadil's not in the LOTR movies GODAMNIT

So yeah sure you can make fun of the fact that not everything has to be as its in the books but when you seriously dumb down characters as they did here i think its worth a mention.

But to each his own.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Good stuff, thanks. I run a small (92 members currently) new Facebook group and I've been systematically pumping article links like these. I've managed to gain a few new fans for the show as a result. Whatever works, I suppose. The Expanse has got to gain in the ratings next year if at all possible. ;_;

Whatever man. In the books she is described as a tough no bs chick along the size of a guy like Amos. In the show the acress who portrays here is nowherear near that frame of description AND neither is her character compared to the books. The look of the character i can get over with however not that much over the fact that her character behaved completely like a wuss (in most of her scenes) compared to her book self.

I didn't like Bobbie in the first... well, 11 episodes honestly but I understand why they did it. Her arc in the book is "I'm a badass" the entire time, no real growth. Her arc in the show is a bit more interesting, going from Martian true believer no doubts to completely lost in the universe and her place in it and now we finally saw the "book Bobbie" in the last two episodes. While I didn't like seeing Bobbie in her starting version I think it made the character better seeing the changes.

For another example, the showrunner (Shankar) said that he wants season 3 to be the point at which the Rocinante crew function and feel like the family we saw early on in book 1, and season 1-2 to be the arc that builds them up to that point. And I'd agree with him, while it worked in the book it would be weird if the crew were all in sync and working so well together early on, its been a nice buildup of them fighting, getting back together, fighting, etc as any real close knight group do. We get to see everything that happens, instead of just being told that they are X Y and Z. Keep in mind the book authors are both on the writing team and have been part of every episode since episode 1, season 1.

The official expanse podcast is great listen this week, it has as guests most of the rocinante crew (holden, naomi, alex) and bobbie as well.
http://www.blastr.com/2017-4-19/the-churn-episode-12-the-expanse-podcast

zelas

Finally watched the last episode last night. This season started off kind of meh but the ball got rolling leading to an amazing final 3 episodes. I'm really hyped for next season!

Yeah based on how book readers described her and what the show seems to want us to believe she is, Adams fails almost across the board (look, character, actions). The only time I felt she live up to the "legend" was when she was giving shit to Avasarala and Cotyar. A wuss is 100% how I would describe her.

A wuss is 100% how I would describe her.

69a9feb13dd72ceddfaba1f5bba161cb.jpg

LMAO. Priceless. Character doesn't act like the fucking Terminator but still beats the shit out of half a dozen dudes over the course of the season and it's "wow what a wuss." Reminds me of my friend who actually believes he'd be like Rick from TWD in a post-apocalyptic reality. I told that fool he'd be the zombie Rick takes the bike from in the pilot.

suzu

She started off rocky, but Bobbie is fine now. She was never the Expanse's version of Brienne in terms of looks (height is the only similarity) or personality. I don't understand why people continue to think that.

The Roci crew on the show also don't start off as tightly knit as they are in the books either. I don't have too many complaints about it. Just minor quibbles with tv Naomi.

It seems the show is continuing to do the "not the book ending" thing for last episodes. Which is a shame, cuz book 2 has a good one! Buuuut I'm ok with this. Saving it for season 3. ;D

And now the long wait.

Moff

I think show bobbie is fine, it's good they gave her an arc, but she definitely did some questionable things, like the first escape from the embassy. or that she didn't immediately recognize that the weapons were locked to a user in the finale. she comes off as inexperienced and not the badass supersoldier. however, I still think it's good she got some kind of development and I think she'll turn out fine.

Jag

She started off rocky, but Bobbie is fine now. She was never the Expanse's version of Brienne in terms of looks (height is the only similarity) or personality. I don't understand why people continue to think that.

My mental picture of Bobbie was a Brienne type marine but I like what the show did with her and the actress is fine.

I've lost count of how many books I've read that have been poorly transitioned in media. The Expanse (including LOTR and GoT) is one of the best and most faithful I can remember.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I like the show, but I still feel like there's absolutely no sense of scale in this show. Nothing feels big, even though we're talking about two fleets about to destroy each other in the vastness of space.

I also hope they find the money to just make something as expensive as Ceres again, because the Canadian warehouse look doesn't help.

Dang can't believe it's over. Bobbie has also become one of my favorites along with Amos, he's conversation with Holden regarding having to kill him was great. The actor plays the character really well.

Kadayi

Banned
I've lost count of how many books I've read that have been poorly transitioned in media. The Expanse (including LOTR and GoT) is one of the best and most faithful I can remember.

Both of the authors of the book series are involved directly in the show's writing, and not in a GRRM guest writing capacity as with GOT.

I also hope they find the money to just make something as expensive as Ceres again, because the Canadian warehouse look doesn't help.

If this was an HBO joint they'd invariably have a bigger budget and albeit I agree often times things do feel a little sparse, I'm prepared to cut them some slack for not being as rounded with the world building versus other shows.

pa22word

My mental picture of Bobbie was a Brienne type marine but I like what the show did with her and the actress is fine.

I don't really mind what they did to Bobbie because she didn't really exist as a character in the book as much as a vehicle to recontextualize wherever she was in a more military point of view and as a force of nature to fuck shit up explosively when the plot demanded it. I'm guessing they're expanding her character more here because the viewpoint thing is kind of irrelevant in a tv show vs a book and I imagine they're planning on keeping her around more consistently than they did in the books. It doesn't really make much sense to have her disappear for no reason in showverse then pop back up again later due to the way contracts work, and if you're going to have her around more you might as well flesh the character out a bit.

Rolfgang

Both of the authors of the book series are involved directly in the show's writing, and not in a GRRM guest writing capacity as with GOT.

As far as I know, GRRM was quite involved with the show until season 3 and left after that, because he didn't like the changes they made. And it also shows, because the dialogue and altered storylines from season 4 and onward we're atrocious. They really got some shit writers on that team.

So I hope that the writers from The Expanse stay in the team until the end and keep significant influence.

Kadayi

Banned
As far as I know, GRRM was quite involved with the show until season 3 and left after that, because he didn't like the changes they made. And it also shows, because the dialogue and altered storylines from season 4 and onward we're atrocious. They really got some shit writers on that team.

That's some narrative you're weaving.

Moff

So I hope that the writers from The Expanse stay in the team until the end and keep significant influence.

the expanse writers made plenty of changes themselves, though, TV works differently, and GRRM, who has a strong background in TV writing, knows that more than most of his fans. I don't think I ever read anything that he didn't like the changes and left the show because of that.

Rolfgang

I at least read somewhere that he didn't like some changes. Could also be that he made that comment after he left and that I mixed those things up. But still, the difference in quality between the first couple of seasons and the last couple is enormous in quality.

99Luffy

Banned
Great finale except for the creature trying to dig through the ship. This supposed "super strong" creature look pretty damn weak as it struggled for 30 mins just to remove one panel from the floor.
That was so odd. Didnt that thing punch a hole through an airlock?

Im gonna download the first book now. See if Im missing alot from the show.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Holy crap im marathoning season 2 now and just saw Episode 5 (miller on eros). Good lord this is great. Effects budget must be nuts, it looks so good. Glad to hear it was renewed for Season 3, i thought S2 ratings were real bad. This cant be cheap.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Holy crap im marathoning season 2 now and just saw Episode 5 (miller on eros). Good lord this is great. Effects budget must be nuts, it looks so good. Glad to hear it was renewed for Season 3, i thought S2 ratings were real bad. This cant be cheap.

They are. Last time I looked, it was hovering around a 0.16. It's a bad, bad number. I keep telling folks to please hop on this wild ride before it's too late.

I even told a guy working at a gas station the other day, when we struck up a conversation about scif-fi. He's a good dude, but... uh, woefully misinformed about ratings and why they matter. He said the number is meaningless because SyFy's swimming in cash from their cheap original movies. That's... that's not how that works, bud. D:

pa22word

They are. Last time I looked, it was hovering around a 0.16. It's a bad, bad number. I keep telling folks to please hop on this wild ride before it's too late.

Yeah at this rate I don't think there's any chance they're going to finish the series. Which at the rate they're going I always considered to be a long shot anyways (1 book = season and a half in a like 10 book + several mini books series....yeah...). I just hope they have enough time to get through book 3 as that's kind of a nice stopping point for most of the plot and character arcs starting in book 1. At book 4 the series essentially starts a new "arc" (if that makes sense) and the scale of the series gets a ton bigger. If they do it that way itll be a massive cliff hanger ending thatll likely piss some people off, but I can't think of a better stopping point given the shit ratings that spell doom in the long run for the show regardless. Plus, show fans can always pick up book 4 and finish the series if they want.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Can someone just spoiler something for me with a yes or no answer.
is that the last we see of Miller and Julie after episode 5?

lt519

Yeah at this rate I don't think there's any chance they're going to finish the series. Which at the rate they're going I always considered to be a long shot anyways (1 book = season and a half in a like 10 book series....yeah...). I just hope they have enough time to get through book 3 as that's kind of a nice stopping point for most of the plot and character arcs starting in book 1. At book 4 the series essentially starts a new "arc" (if that makes sense) and the scale of the series gets a ton bigger. If they do it that way itll be a massive cliff hanger ending thatll likely piss some people off, but I can't think of a better stopping point given the shit ratings that spell doom in the long run for the show regardless. Plus, show fans can always pick up book 4 and finish the series if they want.

Still haven't finished this season, was gonna marathon it today but things got in the way ):

Anyway, they write the books as trilogies so finishing Season 3 would be a good place for it to end if it comes to that, but I still have hope that its picking up steam on streaming services and someone might scoop it up from Alcon but de-scope it a bit. The Neilsen ratings blow but if they are picking up decent money from Amazon in the US and Netflix international it could carry on. SyFy doesn't need to foot the whole bill.

lt519

Well now I've watched six episodes straight, this show is so good. Episode 12 was amazing. Lots of hints dropping for future books. Shut up plant man is probably line of the year.

Bobbie definitely grew on me.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Well now I've watched six episodes straight, this show is so good. Episode 12 was amazing. Lots of hints dropping for future books. Shut up plant man is probably line of the year.

Season 1 or 2? I think i just completed episode 8 of s2. Excited to finish it off.

lt519

Season 1 or 2? I think i just completed episode 8 of s2. Excited to finish it off.

Season 2. Such a good binge watch. I fell off cause of work and Zelda then decided to save it for a rainy Sunday.

Also gotta say the Amazon 1080p picture and sound is so much better than the SyFy site. Had to pay for a couple episodes since they only do most recent 5.

Yeah, it's the best show no one's watching. It's fantastic.

How many books are there? I haven't read any but if the show ever gets cancelled I'd love to delve into the written universe.

pa22word

How many books are there? I haven't read any but if the show ever gets cancelled I'd love to delve into the written universe.

There's 6 out right now with a 7th planned to be out by the end of the year, of an as of right now 9 book series planned to be done by 2019. There's also 3 short novellas out that take place between the books.

The show is about iirc around 60%-70% through the second book right now.

darkwing

There's 6 out right now with a 7th planned to be out by the end of the year, of an as of right now 9 book series planned to be done by 2019. There's also 3 short novellas out that take place between the books.

The show is about iirc around 60%-70% through the second book right now.

I don't think they will have a chance to finish the TV series with the poor ratings :(

i'm still traumatized when they ended SG:U like that when it was getting good

There are currently six books out, a total of 9 books are planned, there are a few novellas, and the two authors (who are also writers for the show and exec producers and have been HEAVILY involved in the TV series from day one) have been releasing 1 book a year for a few years now.

The 7th book is due out this fall, the 6th book came out last Nov. The books are pretty good but they tend to be pretty straight forward and it feels like a lot of filler in them, to be honest. A lot of people think books 1-3 are much better than books 4-6..

The authors also participate weekly in the Churn podcast, I highly recommend it the last episode had the actors playing Holden, Naomi, Alex, and Bobbi on it
http://www.blastr.com/2017-4-19/the-churn-episode-12-the-expanse-podcast

Top Bottom