• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash reviews are in

Doom85

Probably the least attractive live-action supergirl I can remember

I think she looks pretty cute. The CW Supergirl started off pretty good looking but I wasn’t big into how she changed her hairstyle later on, but that’s just me.

This movie‘s Supergirl is Kara, Superman’s cousin, but her hair and appearance resemble in terms of the comics: Cir-El, the third Supergirl post-Crisis on Infinite Earths (since that event had erased Kara from existence, and it wouldn’t be until far they would bring Kara back albeit an alternate one from the one who had sacrificed herself).

Sleepwalker

No, they don’t. They can easily make it work. Hell, in terms of a connected universe outside of the comics, they beat Marvel to the punch well before them.

K8akWqG.jpg
The whole extended animated movie universe from DC is downright incredible, which is why it sucks that the live action movie universe sucks so much in comparison. The blueprint was already there.

HoodWinked

well that does clear up why they spoiled everything in the trailers, they need to get as much first week ticket sales cause it won't have any legs.

not like this GIF

Last edited:

JCK75

From what I've heard Ezra Miller is annoying AF but once Batman shows up the movie gets good.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
WTF is up at WB headquarter for real

"All those glowing endorsements, including Warner Bros. CEO David Zaslav and Gunn's promise that it's the best superhero movie ever made, have led to "bemused head-shaking from some at Warners who question the wisdom of setting such high expectations.""

Pop Corn GIF by REYKON

gothmog

Gold Member
Let's be honest. The WB drama is better than the movie. I have faith in Gunn as a creator but really think he's in over his head.

FunkMiller

"All those glowing endorsements, including Warner Bros. CEO David Zaslav and Gunn's promise that it's the best superhero movie ever made, have led to "bemused head-shaking from some at Warners who question the wisdom of setting such high expectations.""

They haven’t had a genuine run of critically acclaimed and successful comic book movies since Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy. The desperation for a hit drips off them.

DrFigs

Pop Corn GIF by REYKON
I can't believe they fell for their own marketing hype and lifted the embargo this early.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yup. Predict a 60% plus drop to second weekend. At least.
You mean like EVERY big film? Other than Avatar perhaps, it's easier to list the films that didn't see a massive second week drop.

I doubt Flash will do well, the Ezra stuff alone makes the PR kinda toxic. But should be a fun film unless it has been edited into a mess which, TBH, lots of the DC films have been.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You mean like EVERY big film? Other than Avatar perhaps, it's easier to list the films that didn't see a massive second week drop.

I doubt Flash will do well, the Ezra stuff alone makes the PR kinda toxic. But should be a fun film unless it has been edited into a mess which, TBH, lots of the DC films have been.
I think most films drop 50% or more second week.

I remember if a movie only drops 40% or less, that's a good sign it'll have legs.

Esca

Oh wow another DC movie I won't watch. Can't wait to skip the blue beagle or whatever he's called

Ulysses 31

Oh wow another DC movie I won't watch. Can't wait to skip the blue beagle or whatever he's called
From what I've heard it's the first hour or so(Flash going back in time stuff to his younger self) that's the low point, after that it becomes like an enjoyable MCU(pre-phase 4) type of movie.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

ROFL some people are going to really be pissed. They changed the credits scene.

It’s no longer Affleck. They deleted Affleck’s scene and replaced him with…CLOONEY!
Chris Gore saw a version where you only saw Bruce Wayne's foot getting out of the car and then cut to credits with no after credits, so there's even more versions now? :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Given the expectations DC has set and recent Marvel fatigue, if this isn't downright terrible (like Black Adam) I think people are gonna like it.

FunkMiller

ROFL some people are going to really be pissed. They changed the credits scene.

It’s no longer Affleck. They deleted Affleck’s scene and replaced him with…CLOONEY!

Also, the cameos all apparently have absolutely dreadful cgi. This film is going to please nobody.

Toots

Gold Member
Just like you can be bad at your job and be the nicest bloke of all time (Keanu Reeves).
:messenger_tears_of_joy:
Having seen him yesterday at xbox show's cyberpunk announcement, i can only agree. How can someone act so unnatural when reading a teleprompter on a prerecorded segment ?! I love Keanu with all my heart but i cannot wait for him to sell his likeness to some IA company so we can finally watch him act well in films.

jason10mm

Gold Member
:messenger_tears_of_joy:
Having seen him yesterday at xbox show's cyberpunk announcement, i can only agree. How can someone act so unnatural when reading a teleprompter on a prerecorded segment ?! I love Keanu with all my heart but i cannot wait for him to sell his likeness to some IA company so we can finally watch him act well in films.
But good acting would ruin the appeal, I think.

It's the blend of Johnny Utah and Ted (or Bill, which ever he was) that folks THINK is the real Keanu that we like, slight stretching to Neo or whoever he was in Speed is ok. Or when he was that super rich guy in the romantic film, basically a parody of himself.

I don't think Keanu could put out performances like Gary Oldman, Daniel DAY Lewis, or even Tom Cruise when he wants and still have the "Keanu" appeal.

FunkMiller

68 million is flop territory.

Massive flop territory

Floppity floppity flop flop.

Marvellous, if accurate. My cold, dead soul will be so pleased if a movie starring a sex offender, by a company that constantly mishandles the DC IP, in a market that is oversatured with superhero shit, fails dismally.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

68 million is flop territory.

Massive flop territory

Floppity floppity flop flop.

Marvellous, if accurate. My cold, dead soul will be so pleased if a movie starring a sex offender, by a company that constantly mishandles the DC IP, in a market that is oversatured with superhero shit, fails dismally.

MI:7 (8?) is my summer barometer film to see if its sequel fatigue in general, summer theater malaise, capeshit fatigue, or specific companies at risk.

FunkMiller

MI:7 (8?) is my summer barometer film to see if its sequel fatigue in general, summer theater malaise, capeshit fatigue, or specific companies at risk.

Yeah, I agree with that. Maverick was such a huge hit last year, and Wick 4 has done well this year, so MI 7's performance will be really interesting in terms of what it tells us about where the audience is.

Personally I think it's likely to be the biggest hit of the summer. The audience is clearly tiring of endless CGI filled superhero nonsense, and is yearning for a return of more practical effects and more human characters. People still want to go to the cinema, but they clearly want a change now.

Doom85

The audience is clearly tiring of endless CGI filled superhero nonsense

And mind you, John Wick 4 only made slightly above 50% of some of these.

Tom Cruise’s big IP films are always going to make bank. Not saying they don’t have quality to them generally, but the man in his more mainstream films just naturally make money. Mind you, MI is the series that managed to survive MI 2 (look, John Woo is great, but hey even the greats sometimes make a stinker).

As for human characters (hardly relevant in my book, a nonhuman and/or someone with powers is just as relatable to me, it’s called IMAGINATION) and less CGI being what people want, um, the CGI-bloated film sequel filled with blue alien people and not so great writing recently made 2.3 billion dollars.

John Lewis Lol GIF by Waitrose & Partners

Also, virtually everyone seemed to agree that the entirely CGI talking alien raccoon had the best character arc of Guardians 3. Sure, he was the general focus, but still I don’t remember barely anyone going, “god, why are they focusing on the CGI animal?!”

Like, I don’t want these gun action franchises to end. I enjoy some of them, and I’m happy some of you enjoy all of them. But then it’s hard to be chill when some of you all also just casually are cheering for things I enjoy to end. Like, BRUH. Why not just stick to what you enjoy and truly ignore what you don’t?

If I had been watching Seinfeld when it was airing in the 90’s, but had as little interest in Friends as I do now, I still wouldn’t be rooting for Friends to end prematurely. Like, come on, it makes other people happy, so that’s good enough, live and let live. I’m not sitting here demanding every comedy sitcom appeal to me personally, and it should be the same with every medium including cinema.

FunkMiller

The Affleck batsuit looking very bit as fucking awful as all the leaks suggested it would be:

FunkMiller

And mind you, John Wick 4 only made slightly above 50% of some of these.

Tom Cruise’s big IP films are always going to make bank. Not saying they don’t have quality to them generally, but the man in his more mainstream films just naturally make money. Mind you, MI is the series that managed to survive MI 2 (look, John Woo is great, but hey even the greats sometimes make a stinker).

As for human characters (hardly relevant in my book, a nonhuman and/or someone with powers is just as relatable to me, it’s called IMAGINATION) and less CGI being what people want, um, the CGI-bloated film sequel filled with blue alien people and not so great writing recently made 2.3 billion dollars.

John Lewis Lol GIF by Waitrose & Partners

Also, virtually everyone seemed to agree that the entirely CGI talking alien raccoon had the best character arc of Guardians 3. Sure, he was the general focus, but still I don’t remember barely anyone going, “god, why are they focusing on the CGI animal?!”

Like, I don’t want these gun action franchises to end. I enjoy some of them, and I’m happy some of you enjoy all of them. But then it’s hard to be chill when some of you all also just casually are cheering for things I enjoy to end. Like, BRUH. Why not just stick to what you enjoy and truly ignore what you don’t?

If I had been watching Seinfeld when it was airing in the 90’s, but had as little interest in Friends as I do now, I still wouldn’t be rooting for Friends to end prematurely. Like, come on, it makes other people happy, so that’s good enough, live and let live. I’m not sitting here demanding every comedy sitcom appeal to me personally, and it should be the same with every medium including cinema.

Every single recent Marvel film is making less than the movies that came before them. This is an obvious trend. People are getting tired of the formula.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Every single recent Marvel film is making less than the movies that came before them. This is an obvious trend. People are getting tired of the formula.

Compare Thor 4 to Captain America Winter Soldier... The STORIES are night and day in quality.

It's not the cape movies, it's the quality that's taken a downturn and it's showing in the box office. Otherwise, Shang-Chi and No Way Home and now Across the Spiderverse wouldn't have been the successes they were/are.

Even Strange 2 wasn't a flop. It just didn't hit a billion. Same with BP2. The stories were there but they were very different than their predecessors.

FunkMiller

Compare Thor 4 to Captain America Winter Soldier... The STORIES are night and day in quality.

It's not the cape movies, it's the quality that's taken a downturn and it's showing in the box office. Otherwise, Shang-Chi and No Way Home and now Across the Spiderverse wouldn't have been the successes they were/are.

Even Strange 2 wasn't a flop. It just didn't hit a billion. Same with BP2. The stories were there but they were very different than their predecessors.

Fair point. It's the quality of the films that have plummeted. You're quite right.

The audience is getting tired of poor superhero movies, but yes, they will probably still turn out for ones that are clearly quality. The few that will be in coming years. They are getting tired of just going to see any superhero movie though, that much is obvious.

Last edited:

Doom85

As if action gun movies aren’t formulaic?

-convoluted plot from terrorists and/or corrupt politician. Also 70% chance of there being a mole in the good guy’s organization, though only a 2% chance of it being a good guy from a prior installment if this is a sequel
-someone close to the protagonist is killed and he’s out for revenge!
-he‘s coming out of retirement for “one last job”! (until the sequel, and maybe another sequel)
-he‘s the best in the business and at least 80% of the goons have probably shat their pants when they see who they’re up against
-if he is a cop or a soldier or an agent, he’s likely a bit of a loose cannon who doesn’t play by the rules, and the mayor/general/president played by a well known actor or actress in their 50’s-70’s is all the way up the main character’s superior’s ass* about it!

*not literally, as that would definitely be breaking formula!

Not that there’s anything wrong with it. A formula became well used for a reason. It (generally) works. The same is true for superheroes.

I don’t think people in general are really getting that tired of the formula. I think you could be letting your personal bias affect how “poorly” you claim superhero films are all doing. I thought Avatar 1 was just okay and 2 was just meh, but I don’t feel the need to analyze why 2 did slightly less than 1. Clearly most people still fuck with Avatar, and I don’t. I’m not holding my breath on how Avatar 3 does, but really, why not let the Avatar fans be happy? Just like most people are still fucking with Marvel, and then with DC, well I’m hopeful Gunn will course correct the ship.

FunkMiller

As if action gun movies aren’t formulaic?

-convoluted plot from terrorists and/or corrupt politician. Also 70% chance of there being a mole in the good guy’s organization, though only a 2% chance of it being a good guy from a prior installment if this is a sequel
-someone close to the protagonist is killed and he’s out for revenge!
-he‘s coming out of retirement for “one last job”! (until the sequel, and maybe another sequel)
-he‘s the best in the business and at least 80% of the goons have probably shat their pants when they see who they’re up against
-if he is a cop or a soldier or an agent, he’s likely a bit of a loose cannon who doesn’t play by the rules, and the mayor/general/president played by a well known actor or actress in their 50’s-70’s is all the way up the main character’s superior’s ass* about it!

*not literally, as that would definitely be breaking formula!

Not that there’s anything wrong with it. A formula became well used for a reason. It (generally) works. The same is true for superheroes.

I don’t think people in general are really getting that tired of the formula. I think you could be letting your personal bias affect how “poorly” you claim superhero films are all doing. I thought Avatar 1 was just okay and 2 was just meh, but I don’t feel the need to analyze why 2 did slightly less than 1. Clearly most people still fuck with Avatar, and I don’t. I’m not holding my breath on how Avatar 3 does, but really, why not let the Avatar fans be happy? Just like most people are still fucking with Marvel, and then with DC, well I’m hopeful Gunn will course correct the ship.

I never said people don’t like formulaic movies. I said they are getting tired of this particular formula now. So much so that a superhero movie had to work a lot harder and be a lot better to pull people in. This is a good thing. Marvel cannot just shit out garbage like Thor 4 or Antman 3 anymore and get away with it.

Sleepwalker

I was going to go watch it but I actually think I'll just skip it, no interest at this point. Adding
Clooney instead of Affleck
at the end also makes no sense lol. I have 0 nostalgia for previous batman except christian bale so I don't really care if keaton is in the movie or not.

I'll watch it when the 4k torrent is out lol.

Top Bottom