• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The great GAF rRootage (2d shooter) Contest

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Taken from my blog:

You like 2D shooters? Think you're good at them? I suggest you give rRootage or Parsec 47 a go. The games are completely free, and offer (in my opinion) more frantic bullet-dodging action than pretty much any 2D shooter I've ever played, and I've played a LOT of them. Hell, they even save your highscore and your progress for you, showing exactly what levels have been cleared, and what ones you're haven't been hardcore enough to get through yet. rRootage is basically 4 games in one, giving you 40 levels of standard gameplay, Ikaruga-type gameplay, Psyvariar-type gameplay, etc.

I almost feel bad for the guy that made the games. He could be making a lot of money. Although there's no powerups, and the enemies and environments appear to be vector-based, this shit could EASILY be released to critical acclaim on the PS2. It wouldn't have to be a huge release or anything. Simply compile his three best games (Tumiki Fighters, Parsec 47, and rRootage), COMPLETE them (most are version .2 or .51 and the like) and sell the shit on the PS2 for $20 brand new. At the bare minimum 10,000 copies would be sold.

Oldschool stuff like this is hard to come by these days, so it's good to see someone is keeping the tradition alive.

For the record, I'm on 6A in rRootage's standard mode. Beat me, or die trying. Maybe someone (or me) could put together a high score table for all 40 levels in all 4 modes?

Top Bottom