• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTA V source code was sold for $2000 to a modding community

Draugoth

Gold Member
reproducao-gta-v-divulgacao-scaled.jpg

Screenshot:

agzw7gX.jpeg

Context:

The GTA5 source code was allegedly bought for $2000 USD (LTC) in a group buy amongst a group in the modding community. (I'm not entirely sure which modding group to join; I’m being told several different things.) Allegedly, one of the members of the group buy: Kieron Austin, (also goes by Austinator Modz, XBL Dragonfly, TMP, TickleMePickles, and SecretSauce.). "TMP" is short for "TickleMePickles," his original account that got banned (as you can see in one of the screenshots).

He allegedly contributed no money during that group purchase. Which resulted in him getting the source for free. He allegedly then tried to sell the code for $6k ($4000 USD profit) and scam another individual (he failed).

Kieron then attempted several times to sell the source code for $199–500 USD to individuals on Discord, which is way cheaper than the initial $2000 group buy. That doesn’t matter for Kieron, as he paid nothing to get it to begin with; this was all profit for him.

Kieron continued to try and sell it but was making no profit. As a result of this, he leaked it out of spite. If he wasn’t able to make a profit, he was going to make sure no one else could.

There’s a lot of detail left out of this story, as I am reporting on what I was told by two credible people. It seems a lot of the other information I won’t report on is either personal information or stuff I'm not 100% sure about reporting on. I’m also being told different things by different people. If anything else comes up, I’ll be sure to report on what I’m told. #GTA5

Puscifer

Imagine spending literally billions (both in money and likely manhours) at this point only for it to leak online for 2K god damn lol

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

And yet the PC community wonders why Rockstar treats them like second-class citizens. It's not the console players hacking and stealing source code for games, the platform holders would never facilitate it.

Sucks for the good PC gamers but y'all gotta clean up your house.
Yes we'll pool our PC master race money and send the black hawk helicopters to clean our house

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Wonder if at this point Rockstar will even do a PC release for *ANY* of their upcoming games at this point. With all the bullshit they put up with, I wouldn't blame them at all to just say "fuck it, we're done supporting the PC". As thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best said, these aren't console players doing this shit. Their support for PC just seems to bring them nothing but problems, hacks, lawsuits, etc.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wonder if at this point Rockstar will even do a PC release for *ANY* of their upcoming games at this point. With all the bullshit they put up with, I wouldn't blame them at all to just say "fuck it, we're done supporting the PC". As thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best said, these aren't console players doing this shit. Their support for PC just seems to bring them nothing but problems, hacks, lawsuits, etc.
It will be on the PC, why?
tumblr_phjwb9FmXQ1xl8z7mo2_640.gif

Spyxos

Gold Member
Luckily I don't play Gta online anymore. The game was already totally infested with cheaters before that. Now it will definitely be unplayable. And in Red Dead Redemption online, cheaters can get other players banned. There will now be a massive wave of bans of completely innocent players in gta. I'm curious to see if Rockstar can do anything about it.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Luckily I don't play Gta online anymore. The game was already totally infested with cheaters before that. Now it will definitely be unplayable. And in Red Dead Redemption online, cheaters can get other players banned. There will now be a massive wave of bans of completely innocent players in gta.
Yeah, PC was horrendous. Which is why there are those of us who also have RDR2 on the PC, still want a 60fps version or patch on the console who still like moseying in the online world.

Reactions: Ins

Puscifer

Uhh what? What does someone hacking servers have to do with PC ports? Also, console owners and GTA 6 are going to benefit from modders, the amount of options from 5M are absolute Insanity and it feels like the real world and they bought it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Realistically, what will people be able to do with the source code at this point?

I reckon a game like GTO is updated so frequently, it would be patched and ready for any potential vulnerabilities?

It will be on the PC, why?
tumblr_phjwb9FmXQ1xl8z7mo2_640.gif

Well yeah, technically. But definitely not Day 1. I think stuff like this is a big reason why.

Uhh what? What does someone hacking servers have to do with PC ports? Also, console owners and GTA 6 are going to benefit from modders, the amount of options from 5M are absolute Insanity and it feels like the real world and they bought it.

That was eight years later 🤣. Console gamers aren't going to get any of those benefits anytime soon, big process with that stuff (for security reasons).

baphomet

A group buy for $2000, and members whining that it's going to get released 😂

I've been parts of group buys multiple times more expensive than that with the specific purpose of releasing what gets bought.

Puscifer

Well yeah, technically. But definitely not Day 1. I think stuff like this is a big reason why.

That was eight years later 🤣. Console gamers aren't going to get any of those benefits anytime soon, big process with that stuff (for security reasons).
It's 8 years later but 5M never actually stopped development

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
And yet the PC community wonders why Rockstar treats them like second-class citizens. It's not the console players hacking and stealing source code for games, the platform holders would never facilitate it.

What the actual fuck do you want us to do?? Nobody was ever asking for GTA5 source code, we werent begging or asking for it to happen. or all we know this could be the ps4 version of the game or some shit.

The actions of gaffers or anybody else in the PC gaming space are not responsible for a group of hackers doing what they do. How about you ask Rockstar instead for have better security instead of shouldering the blame on us??

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Second class delivering the far batter versions of the games, how? And how do you know it's not console players hacking? Because console players can't hack through the consoles? Or do you think no PC guy also have consoles?

Console players hack and mod too how do you think the Switch got hacked?

tusharngf

this doesn't make any sense. Why PC folks are responsible for this? Rockstar needs to tighten their security. PC platform is not going anywhere if they dont release GTA 6 on it.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

lol, fucking please. Take-Two sent PIs to intimidate a GTA V modder at his house, they served a lawsuit to other modders who dared to offer an alternative to Rockstar's awful "remasters", they've treated the PC community in general like garbage for years now out of pure greed. This is called karma coming in to bite them in the ass for their shithead behavior.

Last edited:

SnapShot

Realistically, what will people be able to do with the source code at this point?

I reckon a game like GTO is updated so frequently, it would be patched and ready for any potential vulnerabilities?
They get access to parts of the game and engine code that weren't accessible or exposed to them before, like knowing exactly how some logics or systems work and be able to do pretty much anything they want with them including outright replacing them if thry want, changes like these are very difficult to circumvent. It's way less limited than regular modding which is why it's such a big deal.

Last edited:

Pakoe

I've seen some retarded ass posts on here, but these take the cake

Utterly retarded post

I've seen some retarded ass posts on here, but these take the cake

Give me a release date for GTA6 on PC then. I'll wait...

lol, fucking please. Take-Two sent PIs to intimidate a GTA V modder at his house, they served a lawsuit to other modders who dared to offer an alternative to Rockstar's awful "remasters", they've treated the PC community in general like garbage for years now out of pure greed. This is called karma coming in to bite them in the ass for their shithead behavior.

Let's look at what those individuals did, then:

1: Modding, likely with intent to sell the mods for profit. Private/personal mods are one thing; the moment you start providing them publicly (especially selling them for money) without approval from the original creator gets you in legal trouble.

2:....no, that's all there is to it.

You can't be dependent on these big companies on one had, yet think you can defy them when things don't 100% suit you on the other. Again, I bet you every single one of these modders were distributing the mods online, likely for money. Even if for free, you still run a risk. Games like GTA are massive and Take-Two aren't gonna play around with protecting their IP and the money they had to put in it.

Also I'd say, what they do in these cases is in itself a statement to deter bigger attacks against them and their IP. A lot of these hackers like to prey on companies that seem meek in their security or steps they'd take to protect their IP from unofficial modifications and access. Unfortunately Insomniac were probably seen as one of those types of companies hence the ransomware attack. I'm not equivalating modders to hackers but just seeing there's maybe a line of correlation, and companies that don't put their foot down on the former might invite the latter to eye them as a target in the future.

And again, all of this is mainly on the PC side of things. It's an open(ish) platform; lots of freedom but also lots of risks. Take-Two don't want to damage the sales revenue of GTA6 at launch with bad faith actors on PC looking to pirate, mod, hack, extort, and all such other things with the game right from the jump. Which they know will happen the moment there's a PC build publicly made available for purchase.

So you end up with situations like this where PC isn't a priority at release.

Last edited:

Senua

Give me a release date for GTA6 on PC then. I'll wait...

Let's look at what those individuals did, then:

1: Modding, likely with intent to sell the mods for profit. Private/personal mods are one thing; the moment you start providing them publicly (especially selling them for money) without approval from the original creator gets you in legal trouble.

2:....no, that's all there is to it.

You can't be dependent on these big companies on one had, yet think you can defy them when things don't 100% suit you on the other. Again, I bet you every single one of these modders were distributing the mods online, likely for money. Even if for free, you still run a risk. Games like GTA are massive and Take-Two aren't gonna play around with protecting their IP and the money they had to put in it.

Also I'd say, what they do in these cases is in itself a statement to deter bigger attacks against them and their IP. A lot of these hackers like to prey on companies that seem meek in their security or steps they'd take to protect their IP from unofficial modifications and access. Unfortunately Insomniac were probably seen as one of those types of companies hence the ransomware attack. I'm not equivalating modders to hackers but just seeing there's maybe a line of correlation, and companies that don't put their foot down on the former might invite the latter to eye them as a target in the future.

And again, all of this is mainly on the PC side of things. It's an open(ish) platform; lots of freedom but also lots of risks. Take-Two don't want to damage the sales revenue of GTA6 at launch with bad faith actors on PC looking to pirate, mod, hack, extort, and all such other things with the game right from the jump. Which they know will happen the moment there's a PC build publicly made available for purchase.

So you end up with situations like this where PC isn't a priority at release.
They want double dippers because they are greedy cunts. It's really that simple.

Or it's all the other drivel you spouted in your ALL PC GAMERS ARE PIRATES brain, you're so out of touch.

They want double dippers because they are greedy cunts. It's really that simple.

Or it's all the other drivel you spouted in your ALL PC GAMERS ARE PIRATES brain, you're so out of touch.

I didn't say all PC gamers are pirates; you did. But, piracy is more a problem there than on the console. And the PC community doesn't hold pirates accountable, so it reflects badly on them. Console gamers don't really have to do that because the platform holders do a lot of that themselves (same for things like cheaters).

You're an idiot, you've clearly not read into the events at all.

So the game isn't coming to PC later? It's a Day 1 PC release?

Top Bottom