• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The History Channels' "Decisive Battles"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaddenNFL64

http://www.historychannel.com/decisivebattles/

It uses Rome: Total War for the reenactments, but it's still probably OT.

It's been on a few weeks, and I have to say that it's actually very entertaining to watch. They treat the show with real seriousness, not the "Gen-X" feel I thought they might go for, seeing as most TV execs are idiots. Thankfully, they went the other way :). They also have actual historians explaining how everything went down etc. And over that they use Rome: Total War to stage everything as it was, with the real formations & tactics used in that actual battle. Instead of using a hundred extras to portray 10,000 men, they use game technology to produce thousands of men with pretty good detail. And the game handles it well.

It's not perfect, obviously. The running & walking animations are fine, but the fighting is awful to watch (but it's forgivable since there's so much fighting going on). There's also popup in the background at times, which is wierd since they could have just done the scene at a different angle to hide the popups :\.

Overall though, it's done really well, and watching a game handle huge battles like the Athenians vs. the Persians in Marathon, or the huge battle between the Persians with Darius III, and the Macedonians with Alexander the Great is something to see :).

Anyway, check it out if you haven't. Theres a new one every Friday, and a few repeats throughout the week. It's only 30 minutes, so if it wastes your time, at least it won't waste alot of it :p.

I like the show, I hate the animations. It just doesn't look very professional.

Didn't know they were from a game though. Kind of explains why it doesn't look professional to me. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom