• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The History of Housemarque with Co-founder Ilari Kuittinen | The AIAS Game Maker's Notebook Podcast

8BiTw0LF

Banned

Ted Price (Insomniac Games) chats with Ilari Kuittinen, Studio Head & Co-founder of Housemarque. Together they discuss the ups and downs of Housmarque's 30 year history in game development; growth, how their company philosophy has evolved over the years leading up to their latest release, Returnal; company culture, and managing a work/life balance; and Ilari's strategic advice for new companies starting out in games today.

They do make some pretty good games. Last one I played was that game on the Vita and it was fantastic. I need to get into Returnal at some point.

Edit: It was Resogun

RESOGUN---PS4---0155.0.jpg

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Resogun is still their best game. Hope they are not too big to make a sequel m, though so fear they are.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Any hints or allusions to what their next project is going to be?

IE, "We really think we can explore ______ in our games moving forward."

Fredrik

Can’t watch the video right now. How far back do they go? Ilari co-founded Terramarque, which was a predecessor to Housemarque, with legendary C64 coder Stavros Fasoulas who made Delta, probably the most well-known shmup from that era.
Legendary roots 🔥

Fredrik

I'm not done with the interview yet, but they began their conversation with talking about the early 90's. How they hired people from the demoscene.
Ah cool I need to watch this, might be talking about the Bloodhouse guys, the other half of Housemarque.

If internet isn’t failing me the birth of Housemarque goes like this.
1. Stavros Fasoulas - Delta, Sanxion
2. Terramarque (co-founders Stavros Fasoulas + Ilari Kuittinen) - Elfmania
3. Bloodhouse (Harri Tikkanen) - Stardust
4. Housemarque (Bloodhouse + Terramarque)

Last edited:
Top Bottom