• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Holdovers : one of 2023's best films

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

Watched it last night with my GF and g'damn if it wasn't one of the biggest surprises so far, movie is just delightful...
Directed by Alexander Payne (Sideways, About Schmidt, The Descendants) and starring the always fantastic Paul Giamatti (he's on his A game here), Dominic sessa and Da'vine Joy Randolph.

Don't get fooled by the trailer, there's way more than meets the eye here in that it's not just a comedy with tens of punchlines thrown in like the trailer suggests.

The attention to detail, cinematography and direction - plus the fact that it was actually shot on film - really transport you back to the 70's - people usually overuse words like "wholesome" and "delightful" but this movie really was and when the credits start rolling after its 2h 13m runtime you're left with this warm and cozy feeling inside - something which not many movies can claim to do nowadays.

It's masterfully shot, it's well acted (Especially Giamatti & Da'vine joy), it's funny, it's sad, it makes you laugh, it can make you tear up, just a simple, delightful "little" movie like those of yore - they really don't make them like they used to.

This is Payne's best film so far IMO.

It's a 8.5/10 for me, they could have trimmed some of the fat here 'n' there but...this is what cinema/movies is about, simple, human, relatable stories.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Ya I really enjoyed it as a well. It's shot I believe on film and very much feels like a 90s style movie in a good way.

I think so far it's very underrated but I have a feeling it may do pretty well at the Oscars next year.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Ya I really enjoyed it as a well. It's shot I believe on film and very much feels like a 70's style movie in a good way.

I think so far it's very underrated but I have a feeling it may do pretty well at the Oscars next year.

FTFY :messenger_beaming:

Also, agreed, Giamatti is just friggin' wonderful in this movie, he really IS the character he's playing, top-notch acting and he should definitely get a nomination !
This was way more than a "Xmas movie®", it's just a good movie full stop.

Cheers

Winter John

Gold Member
Huh. Interesting. I really liked Sideways. That was a great movie. We was gonna watch Oppenheimer but I'll suggest this one instead. I get the feeling Opp ain't exactly a Xmas movie.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I thought Oppenheimer was boring. Watched the first 50 minutes or so late at night, stopped because I was getting sleepy and haven't resumed watching because I didn't want to spend more time with the characters in that movie.

The Holdovers is a a much better movie. It's a simple story about three people who are forced to spend time together in an empty school during a Christmas vacation, but I was glued to the screen for the whole time. The director, Paul Giamatti and Da'Vine Joy Randolph have an Oscar waiting for them in three months.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Yeah one of the year's best films. Saw it back in November when it first came out in theaters. Visually it's a beautiful movie and it strikes the perfect balance of funny and sad. It's a good counterbalance to the usual Christmas family comedy or Christmas action comedy.

After the movie, the two people from work I went with thought it was an old movie getting rereleased lol. Thats how nostalgic it feels.

I do wish it had held better in the box office because it's the perfect Christmas movie for non-families heading to the theater. I get that human dramas don't benefit as much from theatrical as other genres, but it still adds to the experience and I rarely feel immersed at home like I do at the movies.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Watched it last night with my GF and g'damn if it wasn't one of the biggest surprises so far, movie is just delightful...
Directed by Alexander Payne (Sideways, About Schmidt, The Descendants) and starring the always fantastic Paul Giamatti (he's on his A game here), Dominic sessa, Da'vine Joy Randolph.

Don't get fooled by the trailer, there's way more than meets the eye here (i.e, it's not just a comedy with tens of punchlines).

The attention to detail, cinematography and direction - plus the fact that it was actually shot on film - really transport you back to the 70's - people usually overuse words like "wholesome" and "delightful" but this movie really was and when the credits start rolling after its 2h 13m runtime you're left with this warm and cozy feeling inside you, something which not many movies can claim to do nowadays.

It's masterfully shot, it's well acted (Especially Giamatti & Da'vine joy), it's funny, it's sad, it makes you laugh, it can make you tear up, just a simple, delightful "little" movie like those of yore - they really don't make them like they used to.

It's a 8.5/10 for me, they could have trimmed some of the fat here 'n' there but...this is what cinema/movies is about, simple, human, relatable stories.

You've convinced me give this movie a go.

Tams

I thought Oppenheimer was boring. Watched the first 50 minutes or so late at night, stopped because I was getting sleepy and haven't resumed watching because I didn't want to spend more time with the characters in that movie.

The Holdovers is a a much better movie. It's a simple story about three people who are forced to spend time together in an empty school during a Christmas vacation, but I was glued to the screen for the whole time. The director, Paul Giamatti and Da'Vine Joy Randolph have an Oscar waiting for them in three months.

I mean, there are the correct times and places to watch different films.

Watching Oppenheimer just after Christmas at home late at night ain't one of them.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I thought it was very heart warming and overall a good movie. A great cast of characters each needing something from each other and not knowing what it was until it was delivered. I really enjoyed it.

wondermega

Watched this today at my gf's insistence. She really loved it, I fell asleep and suppose I must have missed some important bits here and there, since I'm not too keen on going back and rewatching the parts I missed.

Always a pleasure watching Giamatti, Sideways is easily on my short list of favorite, perfect films.. but this one didn't really do it for me. The kid never clicked for me, and PG needs a bigger foil (again I'm spoiled by Sideways..)

Other thoughts..

Did anyone ever check out the Japanese remake of Sideways? I'm definitely strangely curious.

Downsizing - I was gripped by the concept when the film was announced, finally watched it about a year ago. It was watchable, but overall the film somehow became a chore. Like it was trying a little too hard to go over-the-top weird after some point, in s way that was kind of off putting how well the earlier film did in meshing it's crazy concept with the real world that we know. Still worth watching for a few reasons especially if you are genuinely curious, but overall disappointing considering it's pedigree.

SiriusBlack

Neo Member
I liked the movie but didn’t find it “delightful” or “wholesome” at all. It felt like a fairly serious drama about a damaged teacher and kid, trying to find a bond.

Delightful = The Nutcracker. Paddington. The Sound of Music. Harry Potter. This was not that.

Still would recommend a watch.

TexMex

My favorite for the year.

And it can be serious while also being delightful. I think you’re conflating delightful with childish.

WoodyStare

Just watched this and absolutely loved it. Great performances, a smart and witty screenplay with some of Paynes best directing in 20 years. I can see myself watching this every Christmas. Easily one of the best films of 2023.

3liteDragon

Saw this last week, 2023 top 10. Such a wholesome movie. I can see myself watching this every Christmas, loved it a lot.
Ya I really enjoyed it as a well. It's shot I believe on film and very much feels like a 90s style movie in a good way.

It was actually shot on a digital ARRI Alexa Mini camera & they manipulated the image in post. Looks & sounds like it’s from back in the day.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Directed by Alexander Payne (Sideways, About Schmidt, The Descendants) and starring the always fantastic Paul Giamatti (he's on his A game here), Dominic sessa, Da'vine Joy Randolph.

Don't get fooled by the trailer, there's way more than meets the eye here (i.e, it's not just a comedy with tens of punchlines).

The attention to detail, cinematography and direction - plus the fact that it was actually shot on film - really transport you back to the 70's - people usually overuse words like "wholesome" and "delightful" but this movie really was and when the credits start rolling after its 2h 13m runtime you're left with this warm and cozy feeling inside you, something which not many movies can claim to do nowadays.

Finally saw it on Peacock... You are spot on in your description!

Mary, Paul and (I'm forgetting the boy's name ... I JUST watched in like 10 mins ago) are REAL people to me! Not characters feeding into archetypes. But PEOPLE!

You feel Mary's loss, Paul's integrity and the boy's just wanting understanding!

It's incredibly sweet, heartbreaking and inspiring... Especially at the end!

Bumping this because I had to thank you for recommending this film!

ShadowNate

Really good movie. Strong performances from all 3 protagonists, good albeit not overly complicated writing with tasteful humor peppered, and a feel-good finale.

It was the sort of movie I wanted to see during the holidays, so thank you for the recommendation.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Oh what a lovely movie. Like a warm blanket in winters, it wraps you in fuzzy feelings as it moves along.

The setting, the atmosphere, the characters, the dialogues, the scenarios are perfect- both funny at times and melancholic every now and then. Everyone is at their A game- especially Giammati and Da'vine joy.

Watch it today! They really dont make'em like this anymore.

Top Bottom