• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The importance of skin checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be a little long, and is also my first thread on here, but I wanted to quickly tell the tale of how a choice probably just saved my life and might just save someone else.

Let me start by saying that I am someone who for the majority of my life was terrible at keeping up with anything health related. I always had some excuse whether it was I was too busy, or didn't have insurance, or whatever excuse I could come up with.

Fast forward to now and I have a decent job with health insurance, and I have been forcing myself to catch up on all the medical stuff I have neglected the past decade or so.

About 2 months ago I noticed a weird mole on my forearm and studied it as it progressively got darker and began raising off my skin. In a panic I made an appointment at a dermatologist (something I've never been to despite being very fair skinned). The problem was their closest appointment was over a month out, and being someone who does not handle not knowing things very well, I wanted answers sooner than that. I managed to get an appointment at another dermatologist later in the week and was able to get it checked. The DR said it was nothing, froze it, and said it would fall off on its own in a while and that if it didn't in three months, to give him a call.

After that appointment I still had the one at the other dermatologist and I toyed with canceling it because the issue I had originally called about had cleared up, and I didn't really want to pay 2x just to have nothing really happen in the second appointment. At the last second I decided to keep the appointment and just do the full body skin check I had scheduled.

Fast forward to the appointment, DR has me strip down to my boxers, checks me out from head to toe (little awkward but whatever) and says that I am in pretty good shape and my skin looks good...except for one mole on my bicep that caught her eye. She decided to biopsy it and I was on my way.

Well today she calls me directly, which is odd I think, and then I get the news. It's very early stage melanoma and I need to come in asap to have the area surgically removed. She assures me that its so early stage that my life should not be affected in any way, and that at most I will have a nice scar on my arm I can tell tales about. I'm scheduled to go in at 8:40 tomorrow morning to have a chunk of skin removed and then will need rigorous skin checks for the next few months and then eventually bi yearly skin checks until the day I die. I am of course nervous about the surgery, and it will be a while before I am "in the clear" of anything returning, but this news could of been far worse.

What's crazy is that had I not had the issue on my forearm, I would of never of bothered to book a dermatologist appointment to begin with, and would most likely have stage 4 cancer in a few years time if that.

TLDR: Get a full body skin check at least once a year, it might just save your life.

Good thing you got it checked out, it could be taken care of quick during the early stages.

As someone who's been working outside most my life skin cancer is my biggest fear. I never use to put sun tan lotion on when I worked at my High School and College job, luckily I never developed skin cancer but with my current job I always put sun tan lotion on now. Good to be safe especially if you're outdoors all day.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Well today she calls me directly, which is odd I think, and then I get the news. It's very early stage melanoma and I need to come in asap to have the area surgically removed. She assures me that its so early stage that my life should not be affected in any way, and that at most I will have a nice scar on my arm I can tell tales about. I'm scheduled to go in at 8:40 tomorrow morning to have a chunk of skin removed and then will need rigorous skin checks for the next few months and then eventually bi yearly skin checks until the day I die. I am of course nervous about the surgery, and it will be a while before I am "in the clear" of anything returning, but this news could of been far worse.
I had exactly this, OP - Stage 0 superficial spreading melanoma. Margins clear after the secondary surgery.

The call was surreal and kind of traumatic, but luckily it's one of those cancers where the removal/surgery is more or less curative if it hasn't spread. I've had a few 'suspicious' spots cut out since but all came back clear. The main inconvenience was staying out of the gym. Try not to overthink it and consider yourself lucky (which you seem to be doing).

Fuck cancer and stay vigilant. The thought of an amelionotic one (pigment-less) scares the shit out of me but I'm on it like a hawk now.

Curiocity

Thanks for the brute reminder. I have a couple of mole things I've been keeping an eye on that I want to get checked. Gonna get on that.

Great advice. I keep an eye on my moles and have my doc check them at my physical each year. He said things to watch out for are oddly shaped moles, moles that are growing, and ones with "jagged' edges.

I had exactly this, OP - Stage 0 superficial spreading melanoma. Margins clear after the secondary surgery.

The call was surreal and kind of traumatic, but luckily it's one of those cancers where the removal/surgery is more or less curative if it hasn't spread. I've had a few 'suspicious' spots cut out since but all came back clear. The main inconvenience was staying out of the gym. Try not to overthink it and consider yourself lucky (which you seem to be doing).

Fuck cancer and stay vigilant. The thought of an amelionotic one (pigment-less) scares the shit out of me but I'm on it like a hawk now.

Yea I think the hardest part about all of this was the call, even when my DR quickly talked about how its early and we should be good after the surgery. I got the call as I was getting something out of my car and walked back into my office like someone had just sat on my chest.

I have had a dangerous looking mole for about 5 years but it has not grown at all. Doctor said its not worth removing unless the circumference is larger than a pencil eraser, and it still is smaller than that.

Ollie Pooch

Yea I think the hardest part about all of this was the call, even when my DR quickly talked about how its early and we should be good after the surgery. I got the call as I was getting something out of my car and walked back into my office like someone had just sat on my chest.
Ha, yeah I was at work on a Friday when I got mine and office was pretty empty so I kind of had a mild panic attack. "You have/had cancer" - not a good call to process! That one was fine, it was a second one that scared me a few months later. I was dosed up on Valium for a week waiting on biopsy results. All clear, thank god.

A mate of mine had a Stage 2 - blood tests, sentinel biopsies, the lot. Came back clear but he was a nervous wreck for weeks.

I have had a dangerous looking mole for about 5 years but it has not grown at all. Doctor said its not worth removing unless the circumference is larger than a pencil eraser, and it still is smaller than that.

Mine was a bit smaller than that, about 4mm, pencil is about 6. The reason she didn't like mine was because it wasn't even color throughout. That was enough of a reason for her even though I had had it since I was much younger.

Mine was a bit smaller than that, about 4mm, pencil is about 6. The reason she didn't like mine was because it wasn't even color throughout. That was enough of a reason for her even though I had had it since I was much younger.

Interesting. So it wasn't growing or anything? I could have melanoma as well, but I just had blood work done and my red and white cell count were normal so my body isn't fighting anything.

Ollie Pooch

Interesting. So it wasn't growing or anything? I could have melanoma as well, but I just had blood work done and my red and white cell count were normal so my body isn't fighting anything.
If you're unsure just get it excised and biopsied. My back has a few moles that look like melanomas - some type of 'nevus' i think - but they're all harmless.

Nope its been the same size for as long back as I can remember and had no real change. DR when she removed it actually thought it would most likely come back as nothing.

My uncle died from a malignant melanoma on the back of his ear at 54.

Skin cancer isn't a joke people. Get your moles checked.

LProtag

I always get kinda nervous because I'm Italian and I have moles everywhere, like, I can't even keep track of all of them.

Paracelsus

I always get kinda nervous because I'm Italian and I have moles everywhere, like, I can't even keep track of all of them.

Me too, I'm like a dalmatian. I actually got two removed (one was completely taken out) the other was "flattened". Doc said "rest is fine". I haven't checked in ten years, and frankly I stopped caring.

Thanks for everyone's warm wishes and support.

Back for a quick update. Had the surgery this morning and a long talk with the dermatologist. They explained it was melanoma in situ and that it was in the process of turning cancerous, everything was contained to the extreme top layer, and that the risk of it becoming anything more is probably around 1%.

I have to go to skin checks every 3 months for the next year, but other than that all I should have to deal with is a scar on my arm and the fact that I can't go to the gym for the next two weeks.

Get your skin checked people, it might just save your life.

Ollie Pooch

Thanks for everyone's warm wishes and support.

Back for a quick update. Had the surgery this morning and a long talk with the dermatologist. They explained it was melanoma in situ and that it was in the process of turning cancerous, everything was contained to the extreme top layer, and that the risk of it becoming anything more is probably around 1%.

I have to go to skin checks every 3 months for the next year, but other than that all I should have to deal with is a scar on my arm and the fact that I can't go to the gym for the next two weeks.

Get your skin checked people, it might just save your life.
Awesome news man, good they've cut that sucker out!

yep, good thing you did that.
My sister in law was just in time. She had a very lethal form of melanoma and it was pretty big already. She thought she had a bruise at first. It got removed and she is fine now. But if she waited just a bit longer, it would have been terminal.

Not sure if you need a checkup every year. But it's good to check yourself every month and then see a doctor when something looks weird/ suspicious.

Machine

I was just in for my skin check this week. I had a mole on the bottom of my right foot biopsied. Waiting for lab results is fun.

javac

I don't think I've ever gone for a checkup of any kind outside of going to the dentist since i was a child. I always joke about how i probably have every cancer under the sun. Crazy how trivial and small the signs usually are.

I'm glad it worked out but regular skin checks are completely unnecessary for anyone who is not at risk. One of the many over reactionary things the health industry wants you to spend unnecessary dollars on.

https://news.brown.edu/bitn/2016/07/do-you-still-need-regular-skin-check-dermatologist-explains

Eh there's always going to be a counter argument to anything medical, but yea not everyone is going to need them every single year. Unfortunately I fall within the "higher risk" category as a white male with fair skin. With my insurance it only cost me $70 to do a full skin check, so even one every 3 months (which is recommended after surgery for the first year) only comes out to $280 a year and maybe like 2 hours total time combined. Pretty sure I spent more than that on pizza every year.

I'd rather be out $300 a year than be dead of something that is very treatable.

I was just in for my skin check this week. I had a mole on the bottom of my right foot biopsied. Waiting for lab results is fun.

Yea waiting for the results is like sitting in purgatory, I have about a week of waiting for my surgery results to make sure they cleared all the margins (although its rare that they somehow didnt) My job asked me if I wanted to take some time off or if I wanted to work from home to recover and I said no because sitting at home alone would just cause my mind to wander to every possible worst case scenario and id probably die of anxiety even when nothing is probably wrong.

thefro

I had a spot that was basil cell carcinoma above my right eyebrow several years ago.

The dermatologist cut out part of it to biopsy it, then once I got the call it was cancerous they recommended Mohs surgery, where they basically cut out layers of skin and then check under a microscope to see if they get all the cancer or not.

Had to go to another office for that and researched who the best surgeon was for that within a 2 hour drive or so of my house(the person my dermatologist referred people to didn't take my insurance at the time). They took photos and outlined where the cancer was as a guide. They numbed me up and cut out some of my forehead, and then checked it under a microscope. I had to wait about an hour for them to do that. They didn't get all of it on the first time (which is normal), so they went in again. After they checked the second piece and determined they got all of it, they stitched it up and I was fine to drive home after the anesthetic wore off. Had to go back a couple weeks later for them to check on it.

Now I have a tiny hairline scar that people can barely see.

Definitely important to keep an eye on your skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom