• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered PS5 - DF Tech Review - A Worthy Upgrade?

Topher

Gold Member
The funny part, I suppose. Is all these graphics updates are just a part of porting it to pc...yet they are charging for it to playstation customers.

Cant blame them though. People will happily pay and the shills will defend Sony with passive aggressive attacks if you call out the bullshittery

PC gamers ain't getting the game for free. They have to pay the full $50.

And you just said you are buying the game, so you justified Sony's "bullshittery" yourself.

Defence force activate!

Is this another case of the message has been sent down and the shills are now spreading the message?

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Last edited:

Romulus

Lmao these dweebs use performance mode to show fidelity changes. You cant make this shit up lol.

Here's an actual good comparison.

I don't think its even remotely significant. It's noticeable sure side by side, but definitely nothing to get excited about for me.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well, what we have here, The Last of Us Remastered (PS4) all over again.

Absolutely terrible and pointless "Remaster" and cash grab for PS5 in comparison to Part I. I highly doubt that PC version will be much better as it is clearly the lowest effort PS4 port for PS5 with zero Part I features and upgrades in terms of foliage, scene density, lighting etc. and PC version for sure won't have that too.

I think they knew that it's not going to be on a level of Part I visually and decided to throw us a bone with a new horde mode and a bunch of cut levels - not worth the asking price on a physical disk at all. Ugh. I mean, original game looks amazing with all it's PS4 limitations and it's a much better game than Part I, but I didn't expect they'll do the same shit as they did with The Last of Us Remastered ~ 11 years later. There's literally zero reasons for me to get this version (even for a $1) and sell original, not to mention buy it >at full price< on Steam.

What an effin' disappointment.

1P1g.gif
The Last Of Us Remastered all over again? That game cost $60. This is a $10 upgrade. Right off the bat, it is $50 cheaper.

The Last of Us Remastered also didnt come with a rougelike mode. It had packaged in DLC that we had all paid $15 for just months prior to launch of the remaster.

I understand the disappointment regarding lack of meaningful upgrades. I was personally hoping for E3 2018 caliber character models and enhanced motionmatching myself, but I really dont understand TLOU remastered comparisons or the $10 upgrade fee.

Elysium44

Banned
Wasting time and resource remastering an early game... and not even make changes to be called 'remaster'.
Here we have TLOUS fanboys. You guys totally deserve this clown edition.

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF

Saw this coming when the file size was identical to the PS4 version.

Fake

Why would anyone give a shit about a game they don’t like?

You are talking about the game. I'm talking about the remaster.

Different things.

You know what I don't give a shit as well? Suicide Squad, but here we are.

Saw this coming when the file size was identical to the PS4 version.

The most funny is that PS4 with patch and PS5 perfomance mode are pretty much the same.

I mean, no way this is what a native PS5 can do vs a BC mode.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
People are weird with digital content. On the movie side of things, I see people waiting literally years to buy a movie they want because they refuse to pay more than, say, $8 and it's priced at $10... So they wait years to save that $2.

It's bizarre to me.

Money saved is money earned tbh, and scope for making savings is increasingly limited. Discretionary savings on single player video games is one of the few ways. Lots of very well off people are scrooges with their money, and lots of poor people spend it like water. That's often why they are in their respective groups.

nowhat

Wanted to get Five Guys for lunch today, and this is what the order came to. $21. of course fuck that, im gonna get me a $5 burger from mcdonalds but people are really weird about paying for shit. I bet its the Napster in us. We were all pirates back in the day torrenting games, music and movies in our teens, but i grew out of that when i turned 16 and started earning money. Even at $5.80 an hour minimum wage, i was able to afford ANY $50 PS2 game i wanted. Now kids in mcdonalds are getting paid $15 an hour and bitching about $10 DLCs which is basically what this is. I have put in almost 100 hours into GOW Valhalla, they gave it away for free, but i wouldnt have minded paying $20 for it which is basically what most DLCs go for. TLOU2's combat is sublime and while ND isnt as talented as SSM when it comes to level design, the combat design alone should warrant at least 10-20 hours. Compare that to a chicken bowl at chipotle which costs $10 nowadays or even a mcdonalds combo which also costs $10, and its obvious that when it comes to entertainment, gaming is an incredibly cheap proposition.

k1g8shJ.jpg
I didn't expect the discussion to veer into the economics of fast food, but I guess in a TLoU 2 thread anything goes.

On a very tangentially related note (but I guess this is fair) I just made me some currywurst with fries. It's really good.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Wanted to get Five Guys for lunch today, and this is what the order came to. $21. of course fuck that, im gonna get me a $5 burger from mcdonalds but people are really weird about paying for shit. I bet its the Napster in us. We were all pirates back in the day torrenting games, music and movies in our teens, but i grew out of that when i turned 16 and started earning money. Even at $5.80 an hour minimum wage, i was able to afford ANY $50 PS2 game i wanted. Now kids in mcdonalds are getting paid $15 an hour and bitching about $10 DLCs which is basically what this is. I have put in almost 100 hours into GOW Valhalla, they gave it away for free, but i wouldnt have minded paying $20 for it which is basically what most DLCs go for. TLOU2's combat is sublime and while ND isnt as talented as SSM when it comes to level design, the combat design alone should warrant at least 10-20 hours. Compare that to a chicken bowl at chipotle which costs $10 nowadays or even a mcdonalds combo which also costs $10, and its obvious that when it comes to entertainment, gaming is an incredibly cheap proposition.

Most of people's wages go on their living costs, their disposable income may only be a few tens of dollars a week for all you know. So in that case, yes you do weigh purchases carefully.

Unlike digital goods, food can't be produced in unlimited quantities for almost no marginal cost.

ReBurn

Gold Member
50 bucks for someone who has never played it doesn't seem that bad. Plus it's right in line with buying the PS4 version and paying $10 for the upgrade.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The funny part, I suppose. Is all these graphics updates are just a part of porting it to pc...yet they are charging for it to playstation customers.

Cant blame them though. People will happily pay and the shills will defend Sony with passive aggressive attacks if you call out the bullshittery

You have game companies charging you 2.99 or more for skins and small accessories in video games with little to no outrage.

Yet when Sony charges $10 for No Return Mode, Lost Levels, tons of different skins, and 2-3 different costumes per character (Abby and Ellie) it's a problem. lol

Godot25

Banned
In fairness, the Ragnorak roguelite mode was a free upgrade.
Yeah. But Sony Santa Monica didn't blow out few hundreds millions dollars on the game that will never see light of day.

It's pretty clear that Naughty Dog needs some cashflow. They went 4 years without releasing new game and it's pretty possible that they will go another 2 years without new release. So milking existing fanbase is pretty obvious move.

Godot25

Banned
You have game companies charging you 2.99 or more for skins and small accessories in video games with little to no outrage.

Yet when Sony charges $10 for No Return Mode, Lost Levels, tons of different skins, and 2-3 different costumes per character (Abby and Ellie) it's a problem. lol
Lol stop.

Yes, live service games are charging you (sometimes) hefty sum of money for skins and shit like that but they are also giving you actual playable content for free. I'm all for ND releasing playable content for free and charging for cosmetics because I'm not kind of guy that is buying that shit...

Last edited:

Vick

Why would anyone give a shit about a game they don’t like?
Awkward Kid GIF

Saying I don't like the game would be an understatement, and yet as the biggest fan of immersive, atmospheric and good controlling third person survival I'd rather play this than anything else on the market right now because the industry at large sucks balls apparently and this fucking game is still unmatched in way too many things after almost 4 years.

This being my perfect kind of Remaster to boot also helps, because there's nothing I hate more than tasteless, quick and cheap "Remasters" heavily messing with original assets/textures/lighting of million dollars modern games years and thousands of artists in the making.

I'll just treat it as high quality fanfiction, like Disney Star Wars or whatever.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I am still buying it disappointed that there's no 4k/60fps...

These consoles don't have the horsepower for that, unfortunately.

Gotta remember, the base PS4 version ran at 1080p/30fps. For 4k/60fps on PS5, you're asking for 4x the resolution and twice the framerate. So 8x the performance of the base PS4. And that's before taking into account all the other visual upgrades added with this version.

Just not happening.

Wasting time and resource remastering an early game... and not even make changes to be called 'remaster'.
Here we have TLOUS fanboys. You guys totally deserve this clown edition.
So wasting time and resources or remastering is bad, but when the remastered part shows actually little time and resources "wasted" it's still bad. I'm not sure that the clown take is on the edition to be fair

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yeah. But Sony Santa Monica didn't blow out few hundreds millions dollars on the game that will never see light of day.

It's pretty clear that Naughty Dog needs some cashflow. They went 4 years without releasing new game and it's pretty possible that they will go another 2 years without new release. So milking existing fanbase is pretty obvious move.

They were developing a new IP and it was canceled in 2014. It also took 4 and a half years to release God of War Ragnarok.

Godot25

Banned
They were developing a new IP and it was canceled in 2014. It also took 4 and a half years to release God of War Ragnarok.
And I doubt Sony cares that much about shit that happened in 2014 during financial evaluation in year 2023.
Also, you somehow forgot to mention that God of War Ragnarok sold more copies during first three months than TLOU 2 during almost 4 years....
...and SSM also has another project in works. So by the time ND will finally release 1 new game during this gen, SSM will have probably 2 games out.

Not to mention fact that according to LinkedIn Naughty Dog has 850+ employees while SSM has half of that...

These consoles don't have the horsepower for that, unfortunately.

Gotta remember, the base PS4 version ran at 1080p/30fps. For 4k/60fps on PS5, you're asking for 4x the resolution and twice the framerate. So 8x the performance of the base PS4. And that's before taking into account all the other visual upgrades added with this version.

Just not happening.
Dude Ghost of Tsushima ps5 upgrade version run at 4k/60 fps.

Tqaulity

If you've played TLOU PT2 at all for the first time, it was either at 1080p/30 or 1440p/30 on PS4/PS4 Pro respectively. Moving up to native 4K 40-60fps sounds awesome to me and would be my preference anyway.

Of course, if Naughty Dog ever implemented DRS into their engine, they could easily hit 1800-2160p/60fps on PS5. But now they probably won't need it with the ML upscaling coming in PS5 Pro :messenger_open_mouth:

Top Bottom