• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend Of Heroes: Trails Through Daybreak | Review Thread

The Japanese market has left Playstation behind. Which is a good thing. I was getting tired of Sony trying moneyhat all the Japanese 3rd Parties when I think all those games should be multiplatform from the start. My two cents
I think you're doing a pretty one sided criticism there my man. Not saying that SIE is not moneyhatting 3rd party Japanese devs (they 100% do that and with some big titles like FF16 and FF7R Trilogy), but it's not like Nintendo doesn't play that game as well. Just in the last few years they've done it with Live A Live, Bravely Default 2, Triangle Strategy, SMT5, Rain Code. Heck, PlayStation fans finally got to play the first Octopath Traveler less than a month ago after Square Enix got the publishing rights back for the game from Nintendo late last year, and who knows when DQ Monsters: The Dark Prince will hit other platforms other than Nintendo...

And yes, I do agree that all of these 3rd party IPs should be multi-platform in the first place and not locked in to one, maybe two platforms. But it's best to be consistent and criticize all the platform holders who engage in this practice.

Hudo

Gold Member
I think you're doing a pretty one sided criticism there my man. Not saying that SIE is not moneyhatting 3rd party Japanese devs (they 100% do that and with some big titles like FF16 and FF7R Trilogy), but it's not like Nintendo doesn't play that game as well. Just in the last few years they've done it with Live A Live, Bravely Default 2, Triangle Strategy, SMT5, Rain Code. Heck, PlayStation fans finally got to play the first Octopath Traveler less than a month ago after Square Enix got the publishing rights back for the game from Nintendo late last year, and who knows when DQ Monsters: The Dark Prince will hit other platforms other than Nintendo...

And yes, I do agree that all of these 3rd party IPs should be multi-platform in the first place and not locked in to one, maybe two platforms. But it's best to be consistent and criticize all the platform holders who engage in this practice.
This. I think the main reason why Japanese devs have gone multiplatform is a) the tooling has become easier since many devs are using UE5 or have unfucked their technical stack and b) there's just more money to be made by going multiplatform.#

More power to them, I say. It would be cool if Square doubling down on multiplatform stuff would cause Sony to make a first-party JRPG.

Vlodril

Does the main char and some of the characters here appear in other games? Because they seem like they start the game with some history.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm very surprised IGN France has not weighed in : "2/10, game doesnt feature enough diversity. I saw a white character and cried. The women are truely unrelistically beautiful and has now led to I and majority of women of gaming to ponder suicide for not being able to meet fake pixel standards."
So sadly I can see this being written. Because yeah, pretty much all the characters are white and the women are actually attractive. Everything the modern West truly despises.

I guess the only thing they would praise is the femboy that appears in the new game.

The-Legend-of-Heroes-Kai-no-Kiseki-Farewell-O-Zemuria-2024-05-23-24-017.png

Nintendo might moneyhat Third Parties but those are usually timed exclusive. Sony used to do permanent exclusive until the generation was done. And BTW I'm fine with Playstation getting third party support. But they used to cock block other consoles and PC. That's been changing for the better.

And personally I'm fine with those timed Third Party Nintendo Exclusives coming to other systems and yes including Playstation

I'm rebuying Rain Code on Steam since the way it runs on Switch is horrible 😉

That's all I'm saying on that

But let's just agree to disagree

Tom Hardy Thumbs Up GIF

Last edited:
Nintendo might moneyhat Third Parties but those are usually timed exclusive. Sony used to do permanent exclusive until the generation was done. And BTW I'm fine with Playstation getting third party support. But they used to cock block other consoles and PC. That's been changing for the better.

And personally I'm fine with those timed Third Party Nintendo Exclusives coming to other systems and yes including Playstation

I'm rebuying Rain Code on Steam since the way it runs on Switch is horrible 😉

That's all I'm saying on that

But let's just agree to disagree

Tom Hardy Thumbs Up GIF
Hope you don't take it personally man, but I see this one-sided criticism about Sony locking in Japanese 3rd party games on their systems all the time, which as I said, is warranted, since they're actively doing it. However, Nintendo has been doing this too, and I rarely see people making a fuss about that. It's not just here on GAF, but I see it happening in other places as well. Either you're against 3rd party exclusives and call out anyone who's doing it, or you're not.

Personally, I think these 3rd party exclusive deals (timed or otherwise) are shitty for the consumer, whether they come from Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo. Anyway, you don't have to agree with what I've said here since it's more of an observation and it's not necessarily aimed at you.

Gambit2483

My only annoyance with the trails series is that you have to follow the guide step by step or miss out on stuff including good endings to the games. Still one of my favorite games series though.
I kinda liked that about the series though. It felt like something special happened everytime I triggered a skippable storyline or mission or whatever.

Then again I'm not a completionist so I don't care when I miss out on one either

Reactions: Isa
NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt The first screenshot is using the fan translation, and the second one is using the official localization from NISA. 😳😳

GRMglhWXIAEPYTR

GRNyeOUX0AA0-SS

At least they aren't changing the text which was my worry. I'm getting the game for sure now

Aaron is suppose to have a rough personality with a dirty mouth. Has pervy tendencies too

So good to see they didn't censor that

Last edited:
At least they aren't changing the text which was my worry. I'm getting the game for sure now

Aaron is suppose to have a rough personality with a dirty mouth. Has pervy tendencies too

So good to see they didn't censor that
Yep, the official EN translation/dub looks to be good. But don't you already have the Japanese version on Steam which will automatically receive the English localization from NIS America on July 5? Or did you originally play the game on PS4 and now you're double dipping on the Steam version? I'm confused a bit on that. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
I want to support good localization
Oh, I get that, but I'm wondering which version of Kuro no Kiseki / Trails through Daybreak you played before if you're planning on double-dipping? The Japanese PS4 or PC (Steam) release? If you've played the Steam release then shouldn't you receive the patch for free and I don't think that Steam allows double dipping? Or do you mean upgrading your copy to the ultimate edition or something like that?

Last edited:
Oh, I get that, but I'm wondering which version of Kuro no Kiseki / Trails through Daybreak you played before if you're planning on double-dipping? The Japanese PS4 or PC (Steam) release? If you've played the Steam release then shouldn't you receive the patch for free and I don't think that Steam allows double dipping? Or do you mean upgrading your copy to the ultimate edition or something like that?

I got the Korean version of Daybreak on Steam

Didn't know that though about the Double Dipping

I got the Korean version of Daybreak on Steam

Didn't know that though about the Double Dipping
Ah, now it makes sense. That's a separate version made by Clouded Leopard Entertainment. The NIS America release is the Japanese one and it's a separate SKU/product than the Korean Kuro no Kiseki, so you can double dip on the EN/JP version for sure.

That aside, I'm getting so fucking confused with all these separate SKUs for Trails on Steam. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Cao Cao

Is the game like the Cold Steel games with ENDLESS Dialogue and Power of Friendship?
I got so annoyed when in cutscenes every party member has to speak one sentence then repeat.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Is the game like the Cold Steel games with ENDLESS Dialogue and Power of Friendship?
I got so annoyed when in cutscenes every party member has to speak one sentence then repeat.

“You guys….it was my connection to you all and the bonds we forged that allowed us to defeat this enemy. *sniff* haha thats our Rean always trying to do things on his own.”

lol I felt it only got bad in the second game and beyond. In CS1 they felt like believable school kids to me, not too different from Harry Potter.

Top Bottom