• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |OT|

ebevan91

I'm not even sure what carrier dropped it off. Looks like a regular USPS envelope but I'm not sure. Just at the front door, no doorbell or anything and no notification on the phone that it had been delivered. I also really hate garage deliveries - they will hide it up in the corner near planters sometimes, what are you even thinking guys?

Edit - yep, you're right it's FedEx.

Wasn't able to get the cool gold wall scroll with it, but I did get the black one and it is cool enough!

They just delivered. I saw a Fedex truck drive past my house and then back up in front of my driveway.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Fantastic opening. The fusing stuff is pretty novel, only scratching the surface. The world feels damn near endless. Combat feels a little tighter, more accurate if that makes sense.

Performance is more even than in BotW, but it still looks aged. This is the only criticism of the game I have - the Switch is showing its age badly here.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
my copy arrived! not sure if I'll be playing it tonight.

IMG-0804.png

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I have zero expectations for tears of the kingdom, my hopes are I will love the dungeons and characters, especially the side quests. The world so far feels very intriguing, people are screaming about links abilities and building crafts but my hope is swordplay, treasure etc. still has an impact.

See Ya Reaction GIF by WWE

Sleepwalker

lmao, I'm already stuck getting to the third shrine. Been wandering the snow eating peppers for half an hour.
There's an area with a waterfall, behind the waterfall theres a patch of rock thats not covered in ice that you can climb and make your way to the shrine.

With that said, I'm stuck trying to get back to the temple after the third shrine (not the ice one, the other one)

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I have zero expectations for tears of the kingdom, my hopes are I will love the dungeons and characters, especially the side quests. The world so far feels very intriguing, people are screaming about links abilities and building crafts but my hope is swordplay, treasure etc. still has an impact.

See Ya Reaction GIF by WWE
I pretty much hate every game with “building” stuff and it was my biggest fear of this. From Fortnite to Minecraft to Fallout 4. Here so far it is really simple and intuitive that i’m actually enjoying it.

Chiggs

I love BOTW and if TOTK makes it feel mediocre in comparsion then that only hypes me up to finally play it.

BOTW was limited by WiiU development. There was only so much they could do with it. Aonuma said he wanted flying and underground exploration in BOTW but it wasn't possible because it had to run on WiiU. The Switch version is basically just a straight port and didn't seen any improvements or changes except maybe better performance. Now they've had 6 years to work on TOTK and become familiar with Switch that is why TOTK is able to do so much more. I haven't played it but the impression I get is that this is more or less what they wanted BOTW to be.

I'm only 8 hours in, but Tears of the Kingdom is so good it makes me wince at some of my lamebrain "BOTW DLC" comments. If you loved Breath of the Wild, Tears of the Kingdom might very well make you fall out of love with it.

Right now, this game is edging out Elden Ring, which has been my favorite game of the last 10 years.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm only 8 hours in, but Tears of the Kingdom is so good it makes me wince at some of my lamebrain "BOTW DLC" comments. If you loved, Breath of the Wild, Tears of the Kingdom might very well make you fall out of love with it.

Right now, this game is edging out Elden Ring, which has been my favorite game of the last 10 years.
I can't be mad that a sequel is better. Hopefully I'll still be able to appreciate BOTW for what it is and what it accomplished which I am sure I will.

Can't say I'm a big fan of Elden Ring. I mean I enjoyed it, I'll play the expansion, and I hope we get a sequel but compared to previous From Software games I think it's a disappointment. I could make a list of things they could improve with Elden Ring 2 or even the upcoming expansion. I wouldn't rate it as one of my favourite games of all time. Maybe in the last 5 years but might not get in the top 10.

Is it good then? Should I just skip BOTW and play this?
Sounds like it's better than BOTW.

You can skip BOTW but if what I've been told is true then it'll be difficult to play BOTW after TOTK. If you have the time to sink 100+ hours into BOTW and are in no rush to play TOTK then definitely go play BOTW first. If you've only got time for one then play TOTK.

Last edited:
There's an area with a waterfall, behind the waterfall theres a patch of rock thats not covered in ice that you can climb and make your way to the shrine.

With that said, I'm stuck trying to get back to the temple after the third shrine (not the ice one, the other one)

Dunno how I missed that. I ended up climbing the tree roots right outside the bottomless cave, it puts you like 2 seconds from the shrine.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
The new Hyrule town is so wonderful, the game is great, i'm still missing the glider, I hope I can get it soon because it really cramps.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
So far the building feels pretty gimmicky, but it is much prefered over the awfulness of the shrines in BOTW that felt utterly disconnected from the world around them (that one shrine that's basically just the labyrinth kids toy had me rolling my eyes to the back of my head). The shrines here so far haven't been that way, but they have been very obvious and still have that "Rube Goldberg" feel to them. Same with some of the environmental puzzling that is going on so far ("Here's some lamp hooks that are cowinkydinkly next to this railing! I wonder what you could do with them!").

. . .at least the storytelling seems a lot better in this one than the previous, though that isn't much of a bar to clear.

Tg89

Yeah this game is fantastic. Such an improvement on what was already a standard setting title.

The new toolkit you have is bananas. I can’t believe this stuff all just works so well and has so many applications. The fact that this game isn’t full of bugs should put other devs to shame.

Got through the tutorial area last night, messing around with the new abilities and getting used to them.
Make it down to Hyrule and I head to the closest shrine I can see... aptly named "Building with logs".... lol.
Good to see Nintendo has a sense of humor. Can't wait for the "Make a boat" shrine.

Termite

Finishing up the main questline now and I feel like the past 5 hours have been one constant parade of characters giving me long speeches to hint at objectives I did 30 hours ago, only for Link to shrug and the character to say "What?!? You already did that?!?" Then the quest name appears, and immediately after it disappears it reappears again and says "Complete". That's been the last 5 main quests in a row. Pretty funny. Speaks to how open the game is.

I genuinely have no idea what critical path the devs intended or even expected players to follow in this game, lol. ESPECIALLY regarding when and how you're meant to get the Master Sword, of which I'll say no more.

I am really tempted to buy the game .
It seems a Masterpiece.
And since i have never played BOTW, everything would be fresh to me.
If you haven't played BotW, then you're in a very fortunate situation. Every part of this masterpiece will feel brand new to you. It's a must play.

The weakest parts of the game are all the reused content. That's not an issue for you. If it's just a straight choice as a new player between this or BotW, it's this easy.

Last edited:

SCB3

genuinely have no idea what critical path the devs intended or even expected players to follow in this game, lol. ESPECIALLY regarding when and how you're meant to get the Master Sword, of which I'll say no more.
To be fair it was obtuse as fuck in BotW to get the master sword and shield to the point where people didn’t even think they were in the game

Top Bottom