• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |OT|

RoadHazard

Gold Member
85 hours, still not very far in, lol. Definitely less than half of the main story done.

Loving almost everything about the game. One thing that bothers me just a little is that it's so hard to get out of the depths without fast traveling (which I'm trying to avoid doing to increase immersion and the sense of adventure). I know about those square things you can ascend up through, but they're WAY too rare. Many areas seem to lack them completely, so you can get stuck down there for hours if you want to get out without fast traveling.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
85 hours, still not very far in, lol. Definitely less than half of the main story done.

Loving almost everything about the game. One thing that bothers me just a little is that it's so hard to get out of the depths without fast traveling (which I'm trying to avoid doing to increase immersion and the sense of adventure). I know about those square things you can ascend up through, but they're WAY too rare. Many areas seem to lack them completely, so you can get stuck down there for hours if you want to get out without fast traveling.
Zelda has had fast travel since 1987, the series is built around it.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Yeah, but in BOTW you never really had to do it, it was just a convenience that I mostly ignored. In TOTK it's very hard to get around without it in some situations, which bothers me a bit.
I guess that’s understandable if you’re going for full immersion. But I kinda also think using the ascend ability to teleport up 1000ft through a specific shaft down there is pretty much the same thing… 🤷‍♀️

I will say I think I could stand to walk/ride around the world more. My standard method of taking the most direct route to every tower to unlock them all from the start probably means I miss a lot of stuff in the world

I finally did my first dungeon, and I don't feel any closer to the end. actually, if anything I feel even further away from completing the game.
The dungeon I did was the Rito one. Before that I had already explored 80% of the Depths, almost all of the overworld, had done all of the geoglyphs and obtained the Master Sword; I'll have to check later to see how many hours I have played, but easily more than 100, if not 150.

So on the way to the Rito village, I find the Gazette. Meaning I got the quest that sends you to all of the stables, where you got new short quests. Including the one to unlock the first Great Fairy. So I obviously went and unlocked all of them. By then I already had enough resources to upgrade the entire Fierce Deity set to level 4 (60 def isn't anything to scoff at).
After completing the dungeon, even more quests start appearing. Some specifically at the Rito village (for the Great Eagle Bow or the Vah Medo helm). All the ones for the pad's new abilities. A few other quests here and there. I don't even know how long it's going to take me before I start going to the second dungeon.

Also there's a new (very easy) dupe glitch for 1.1.2, although this one is only good for money (you can pretty much only make fast, free frozen prime meat with it).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I guess that’s understandable if you’re going for full immersion. But I kinda also think using the ascend ability to teleport up 1000ft through a specific shaft down there is pretty much the same thing… 🤷‍♀️

I will say I think I could stand to walk/ride around the world more. My standard method of taking the most direct route to every tower to unlock them all from the start probably means I miss a lot of stuff in the world

Yeah, I mostly take the roads to each new place, there's always a lot of stuff to find along the way. And I unlock each part of the map as I get to that area, I still have about half the map locked.

Last edited:
Nope, same items in the same order. To get them all you gotta collect 48ish Bubbuls and give them all to him. Only way to get the full mystic armor set. The final piece being the headgear.

Good way to locate caves is either google an interactive map or give fruits to cherry blossom trees, which activates light beams on all caves in that region.
Another way to locate caves is to speak with Koltin, and ask him about a nearby Bubullfrog. If there's one you haven't defeated yet, you probably haven't found its cave either...
Also, don't shoot blupees (there are much better ways to get money anyway), they'll lead you to a cave.

daveonezero

Banned
Another way to locate caves is to speak with Koltin, and ask him about a nearby Bubullfrog. If there's one you haven't defeated yet, you probably haven't found its cave either...
Also, don't shoot blupees (there are much better ways to get money anyway), they'll lead you to a cave.
i still shoot them. They run in the general direction of the cave right away.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Speaking of which, I just found myself in the Lake Hylia Whirlpool cave. Unless I'm missing something, fast travel is literally the only way to get out of here? Seems like ascending isn't possible? I really don't like that.

K' Dash

Speaking of which, I just found myself in the Lake Hylia Whirlpool cave. Unless I'm missing something, fast travel is literally the only way to get out of here? Seems like ascending isn't possible? I really don't like that.
You can ascend or use the Zora Armor in the waterfall.

If you use ascend you will pop up in the lake, it’s better to use the Zora Armor if you don’t want to fast travel.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You can ascend or use the Zora Armor in the waterfall.

If you use ascend you will pop up in the lake, it’s better to use the Zora Armor if you don’t want to fast travel.

Ascend didn't work, I only ended up in the whirlpool from which I then couldn't escape. Don't have that armor yet.

K' Dash

Ascend didn't work, I only ended up in the whirlpool from which I then couldn't escape. Don't have that armor yet.

even if you didn't end up in the whirlpool you'd be in the middle of the lake, the intended way to get out is the Zora Armor, thats why there's a waterfall there.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I don’t think you can ascend into water so…yep

Oh wait I guess others said you can.

Last edited:

lestar

There are reverse pillars/towers across all the depths, designed especially to use ascend to the surface, that's the intended way to do it without fast travel

RoadHazard

Gold Member
even if you didn't end up in the whirlpool you'd be in the middle of the lake, the intended way to get out is the Zora Armor, thats why there's a waterfall there.

Alright, but you can very easily end up there before ever going to Zora's Domain, and then you're softlocked down there if you're trying to do a no fast travel playthrough. I'm 99% sure that in BOTW that never happened, there was no location you couldn't get out of.

Mozza

Still only 35 hours or so into this game, taking my time with it as I feel this will the last big Nintendo title on the current Switch, plus I can't get it out of my head there will be some sort of performance upgrade for some games on the Nintendo Switch 2... so a little unsure about putting top much time into this.

Jsisto

Shield surfing with a cart/frozen meat shield is so fun. Anyone stumble across any half pipe like structures to mess around with? Nintendo, please make Links crossbow shield surfing training. Also, fun fact for those that don’t know…attaching a wing glider to a shield gives you a little more height when you jump into a shield surf, allowing you to enter bullet time with a running start. This effectively lets you enter bullet time from the ground whenever you want. Worth carrying a wing shield at all times.

Nico_D

They need to return to dungeons being entirely separate instances that are not connected to the over world and require loading. Im no game designer, but I feel like the current way restricts them from going all out with large and creative dungeons like they used to be. The divine beasts, while far from perfect, were quite epic and better than whatever the hell it is we got this time.

I agree. While the insides of the divine beasts were a bit annoying instead of interesting, especially all the Ganon fights, I thoroughly enjoyed the part where you had to figure out how to get inside of them. But yeah, I think they should make completely separate dungeons. I think the lack of special weapons shows in dungeon designs: now that those don't exist anymore, they really don't have anything to build the dungeons around. Before it used be a boomerang dungeons, chainball dungeon...

But most of all, bring back the creative and clever boss fights or drop them altogether.

Jsisto

Fifth Dungeon. Every ”puzzle” was able to be easily cheesed with time reversal. Probably the worst 3d zelda dungeon ever. Really don’t mean to keep being negative here, the game is amazing(I’m at 155 hours lmao) in spite of the horrible dungeons, but they are god awful. It’s a combination of poor dungeon design and overpowered abilities making the challenges trivial with too many possible solutions. But I don’t think it had to be this way, I just think they didn’t give them the development time they deserved, or didn’t have their best people design them. There are so many unique zonai devices that they could have easily built entire dungeons themed around them instead of “dungeon items” from classic 3d Zeldas. They did this to very very limited degree in two in particular, but IMO it fell flat.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Beat GANNON last night and loved it. The final phase of the fight is a thing of beauty.
what a wonderful game. I have gone back and grabbed a couple of shrines but the game is top tier fun.

in the end they fixed their biggest mistake and got Zelda back in her riding pants.

Fools idol

Banned
I've been mostly exploring and doing shrines for the past 25 hours. Tell me GAF, once you investigate the 5 or so regional phenomena quest is there much quests left ?

Hardensoul

Gold Member
~75 hours and I beat the game.

It was phenomenal.
I'm over 200hrs and I don't feel like finishing the story. Only thing I finish is Geoglyphs and Rito. I just have more fun still exploring and farming Lynels and now easily farming Gleeoks. I know, I play this very odd.

Gambit2483

I'm over 200hrs and I don't feel like finishing the story. Only thing I finish is Geoglyphs and Rito. I just have more fun still exploring and farming Lynels and now easily farming Gleeoks. I know, I play this very odd.
Thats actually one of the best ways to play this game. Space out each "Regional Phenomenon" with exploration of the surrounding regions and numerous quests/adventures.

I just hit the 68hr mark and still have 5 Skytowers to activate 😅

Last edited:

Jsisto

Everything Zora about TOTK and BOTW is peak gaming lore (music, art, etc.)
They really went all out expanding Gerudo’s lore and how Gerudo’s society works, too. I’m actually really impressed. I hope one day we see one of these “one in a hundred years” Gerudo males in a Zelda game that isn’t a genocidal maniac named Ganondorf.

daveonezero

Banned
Nah I’m sort of the same. I could take or leave all the story and dungeons. Really those are just to move along my experience of the world.

I just finished the first Dungeon to unlock the purah pad stuff so I can keep unlocking the map with the new abilities

blizzardsounds

Neo Member
Loving the game this far. Have about 60 hours in. Really wondering about the design of the Zora’s Domain main quest to open the temple. It’s really rather obtuse. First thing I had to actually check a guide on. The whole arrow through the tear. Then they expect you to go ba m to Sidon rather than investigating the light. Just wasn’t great from a design perspective imo.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I should have made getting the Master Sword a priority early on. I waited until I only had the thunder temple or whatever to do in the main questline. Made that boss a joke after attaching a dragon shard or whatever. Just beat the living shit out of it in seconds.

Now I am doing all of the side adventures and man, they just keep coming. It feels almost like a MMO. Every where I go it's new stuff to do, new adventures to be had, entire towns to build or influence. My boys keep trying to get me to play Diablo 4 with them on PS5, which I just started doing with them (playing with them right now, we just taking a break so they can cook their kids lunch).

My problem now is I can't find the gold dragon again. I need another scale from it to upgrade me champion leathers.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
I should have made getting the Master Sword a priority early on. I waited until I only had the thunder temple or whatever to do in the main questline. Made that boss a joke after attaching a dragon shard or whatever. Just beat the living shit out of it in seconds.

Now I am doing all of the side adventures and man, they just keep coming. It feels almost like a MMO. Every where I go it's new stuff to do, new adventures to be had, entire towns to build or influence. My boys keep trying to get me to play Diablo 4 with them on PS5, which I just started doing with them (playing with them right now, we just taking a break so they can cook their kids lunch).

My problem now is I can't find the gold dragon again. I need another scale from it to upgrade me champion leathers.
Master Sword also glows when you are close to gloom enemies and does more damage to them, especially useful in the Depths.

Try going to every skyview tower, counter-clockwise, and look around from the sky at each one. It could take a while, since she goes over the entire of Hyrule, but that's how I do it when I'm looking for her.
Also, just a heads up, you'll need more than those two scales for the champions leathers... You'll need two of each of her materials. You can stay on her and afk, and come back every ten minutes of real time to get another part though.

I have around 140 Hours in, I just started the main story, those dragon tears were really interesting.
I've been wanting to come into this thread for a while now but feared seeing spoilers. Tears of the Kingdom is fantastic. I think it's easily better than Breath of the Wild. Which makes me wonder how it got a lower metacritic score. It's one of those rare cases where a developer follows up a hit game without trying to reinvent the game or change it all up - and I LOVE it. I've started the story, but have only gone through one temple. There's just so much to do. I'll have to see how many hours I've put into the game so far, but it's a lot. I love how all of the quality of life improvements that were added to BOTW as DLC are already included in TOTK. Once I finally ventured into the depths I spent 99% of my time down in the darkness wandering around looking for loot and and light roots. It's been a blast. I absolutely love the dark environment and it makes for a phenomenal place to explore.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
I've been wanting to come into this thread for a while now but feared seeing spoilers. Tears of the Kingdom is fantastic. I think it's easily better than Breath of the Wild. Which makes me wonder how it got a lower metacritic score. It's one of those rare cases where a developer follows up a hit game without trying to reinvent the game or change it all up - and I LOVE it. I've started the story, but have only gone through one temple. There's just so much to do. I'll have to see how many hours I've put into the game so far, but it's a lot. I love how all of the quality of life improvements that were added to BOTW as DLC are already included in TOTK. Once I finally ventured into the depths I spent 99% of my time down in the darkness wandering around looking for loot and and light roots. It's been a blast. I absolutely love the dark environment and it makes for a phenomenal place to explore.
There is a review on Metacritic that gave Tears of the Kingdom a 6 out of 10 because the reviewer misses the older Zelda games, at this rate someone will review a game and give it a 1 out of 10 because they didn't have a good night's sleep.

Top Bottom