• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Review Thread

What score do you think The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 10 -20%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40-50%

• 50-60%

• 60-70%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 70-80%

• 80-85%

• 85-90%

Votes: 24 9.1%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 101 38.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 125 47.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mcjmetroid

Attention seeker for sure. I saw the game, I hate the route BOTW take putting Zelda franchise into open world, but thats not mean TOTK is a 6/10 game.

Is this the same dumbass that said 'we need to play more 6/10 games?'
Almost everything he said is sort of true but turned up to 11. A 6/10 is a ridiculous score for Tears of the Kingdom. A game this size and this amount to do is going to have some things that some people don't like yes but he managed to pick on everything you could possibly say negative about the game. It reads like a Zero punctuation review and that's no offense to Yathzee because that is his shtick.

I said before in the spoilers thread that it's gonna be a divisive game but it is 100% better than Breath of the Wild.

I can't critique zelda for reuse map when I put like 1k hours in the yakuza franchise.
Hah, curious timing that you mention thay. I'm about to take the plunge into Yakuza. Maybe it will change my mind. Right now I look at map reuse as an almost unforgivable sin, especially in an exploration centric game.

Fools idol

Banned
son of a fucking bitch. A client called 5 mins ago and demanded a meeting in person at his office in Sydney at 9am tomorrow or hes canceling the contract. It's worth 250k. Do I just suck it and miss launch day weekend GAF? that is one expensive bail.

NGL I'm tempted

Woopah

son of a fucking bitch. A client called 5 mins ago and demanded a meeting in person at his office in Sydney at 9am tomorrow or hes canceling the contract. It's worth 250k. Do I just suck it and miss launch day weekend GAF? that is one expensive bail.

NGL I'm tempted
Can you get public transport to the office?

hemo memo

Gold Member

NGL I'm tempted
Call the client. Tell him/her that they are unreasonable with that request as you/team have back to back meeting and that this meeting will affect the schedule.

So... is this a 'real' 10/10 or a fanboy-goggles 10/10? I was previously concerned by how readily critics ignored the flaws and inadequacies of BotW. They afford no quarter when reviewing most other IPs. Performance issues or story/plot deficiencies routinely knock points off other titles. Nintendo seems strangely immune to this.

Terenty

Maybe it's not a 6/10, but everything he pointed out is the exact same shit that made 90% of Botw a pointless chore. So not much seems to have change in that regard unfortunately.

Fucking shrines as rewards for exploration, mostly empty caves and the sky, no need to collect any unique equipment since everything can be easily circumvented by other means, building materials everywhere to solve every imaginable puzzle right on the spot, etc.

R6Rider

Gold Member
So... is this a 'real' 10/10 or a fanboy-goggles 10/10? I was previously concerned by how readily critics ignored the flaws and inadequacies of BotW. They afford no quarter when reviewing most other IPs. Performance issues or story/plot deficiencies routinely knock points off other titles. Nintendo seems strangely immune to this.
It's pretty obvious it's the latter.

People have already stated that many of the flaws of BotW were left unchanged or in some cases even worse.

Calverz

96? That’s disappointing. I thought this game would be the one to beat tony hawks 2 but seems like that’s still the greatest game ever made.

Hero_Select

What a stupid question lmao

Fabieter

Hah, curious timing that you mention thay. I'm about to take the plunge into Yakuza. Maybe it will change my mind. Right now I look at map reuse as an almost unforgivable sin, especially in an exploration centric game.

Well in yakuza it feels kinda like your home town if you played it all of the games tho.

It's kinda small and it switches up with smaller side areas tho. You will like it.

Robb

Gold Member
People have already stated that many of the flaws of BotW were left unchanged or in some cases even worse.
To be fair it kind of depends if you consider those things flaws or not. Seems obvious the majority of people are perfectly fine with weapon durability and don’t view it as a flaw, for example.

Stay Salty Salt Bae GIF by UFC

hemo memo

Gold Member

? Weapon breaking got improved with fuse. Dungeons are in. Performance is great. What flaws that left unchanged or worse?

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
then I wonder if BotW is going to be rendered obsolete.
Been wondering the same tbh. Hopefully it’ll still feel like it has its own identity post TotK.

I think it will though given it has its own set of abilities etc. but who knows.

GHG

NGL I'm tempted

You're in the UK no?

If so that seems like an unreasonable request. What is it that can't be done over the phone/VC?

When I've had situations like that before it's a signal they want to bail anyway and are throwing out unrealistic/unreasonable requests in order to form an excuse.

Hugare

Been wondering the same tbh. Hopefully it’ll still feel like it has its own identity post TotK.

I think it will though given it has its own set of abilities etc. but who knows.
So if TotK reuses a lot of maps and assets from BotW, but improves on it in a few areas and is larger to boot, then I wonder if BotW is going to be rendered obsolete.
Basicaly, yes

Watched some review that stated that it feels like a BOTW remake almost (think it was John from DF or SkillUp, cant remember)

They reused the same map + introduced some more. Some shrines locations have been reused, some are new. Same enemies + new ones, and etc.

And the story in BOTW sucked anyway. So everything that matters most is in TotK.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What you want them to do? Have a new Hyrule? It is a direct sequel. That’s like complaining that every sequel every is similar to the one before it.

Literally what reviewers complain about - and score games weaker because of - all the time. The next UBI-Openworld is going to have the same "You've played this game before. . ." rhetoric from press and players alike and no one is going to bat an eye, despite the games only sharing design similarities. TOTK is using the exact same foundation and now such complaints are dismissed as "try hard."

Too many rock formations is like complaining that BotW have too many shrines.

It does. . .

The reviewer want the game to be something else and complains about it. Review the product as is not what you want it to be.

They did. They reviewed the game exactly as it is, saw what it wasn't and rendered their verdict. Like game reviewers do. All. The. Time.

. . .like, the game is reviewing as the top game of the year; ticky tack complaining that so far a single reviewer (who isn't even being counted in the OPENCRITIC reviews) is a little silly.

Maybe it's not a 6/10, but everything he pointed out is the exact same shit that made 90% of Botw a pointless chore. So not much seems to have change in that regard unfortunately.

Fucking shrines as rewards for exploration, mostly empty caves and the sky, no need to collect any unique equipment since everything can be easily circumvented by other means, building materials everywhere to solve every imaginable puzzle right on the spot, etc.

They shouldn't have put a score on it, then people would have to engage with the content and not the score. The clear point of the review is that they didn't like the direction that BOTW went in and appreciated the "streamable" quality of the game (which I'll admit feels like a needless, but apt, dig at the "fun" of BOTW), but that they were expecting a bit of a return to what made ZELDA games so enjoyable in the first place. One of their biggest complaints is that a lot of the previously carefully crafted puzzling from previous ZELDA titles here is essentially gone as you can just gimmick your way through most situations which, for some folks might seem brilliant, but for others wanting a more bespoke experience that rewarded figuring out the puzzle box (instead of just smashing it with a hammer and taking out the prize) the experience will ring hollow.

Which is a TOTALLY fine and not even close to clickbait opinion; throw a subjective score on a subjective opinion though, and then the pitchforks come out.

Last edited:

tmlDan

"The frequency of these dips remain relatively low in the grand scheme of things."

The folks analysing the game are pretty much saying performance is mostly good. So... 😬
I said at times, i didn't lie - but that still means performance isn't good.

Unless you have dramatically low expectations.

Robb

Gold Member
"You've played this game before. . ."
To be fair I haven’t played it yet, but it doesn’t look like it plays very similar to BotW with the building, fuse, time reversal, ascends, sky sections etc.

Is there any Ubisoft sequels with anywhere close to the amount of gameplay changes that this offers compared to previous games?

Game is a failure. Can't believe it didn't get an 11 out of 10 by a single outlet.
You joke, but I kind of expected it.

I still think some Xbox site will give Starfield an 11, just because of what Phil said. I actually believe that decision has already been made without even playing the game.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
? Weapon breaking got improved with fuse. Dungeons are in. Performance is great. What flaws that left unchanged or worse?
It's not 4K! NO 60FPS!!!!!11!! You see that mountain over there, it has muddy textures!!!

Honestly, this place can be so depressing, only thing people talk about is grafix and performance. Like there's nothing else to the game. Or, let's talk about the flaws of the game using emulation or better yet, not even playing it, just reading about it is enough.

But it's all good, you all be bitter betties while I enjoy an actual game for gamers.

Top Bottom