• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Matrix Reloaded's Complete Score finally getting a release this August!

Status
Not open for further replies.
By La-La Land Records.

Update:

Coming August 27! Includes interviews with Don Davis and Ben Watkins (Juno Reactor)!

THE MATRIX RELOADED EXPANDED ARCHIVAL EDITION– 2 DISC SET
MUSIC BY DON DAVIS
LLLCD 1263
RETAIL RICE: $29.98

PRODUCED BY DON DAVIS, NEIL S. BULK AND DAN GOLDWASSER
MASTERED BY MIKE MATESSINO
LINER NOTES BY TIM GREIVING
ART DIRECTION BY DAN GOLDWASSER

Continuing the 90th Anniversary celebration with Warner Bros. Pictures, La-La Records and Warner Bros Records are honored to announce this newly expanded and completely remastered 2 cd set of Don Davis’ incredible score to the 2003 smash hit film THE MATRIX RELOADED. Co-produced and supervised by the composer, this high octane, expanded epic release features 150 minutes of the best sci fi action music of the past decade. Detailed liner notes by Tim Greiving take the listener inside the musical world of THE MATRIX with exclusive interviews with composer Don Davis and co-composer (on some tracks) Ben Watkins (aka JUNO REACTOR).

PLEASE NOTE: Two tracks as they appear in the final film, (DOUBLE TROUBLE and FREE FLIGHT), are not included on this release due to licensing restrictions. HOWEVER, we have included ALL of Don Davis’ music that recorded for the film, including the unused tracks for DOUBLE TROUBLE and FREE FLIGHT, as well as a few other tracks that ended up on the cutting room floor, replaced by the electronica tracks in the final film.

The first 100 or so customers who purchase the cd directly though the La-La Land website – www.lalalandrecords.com – will receive a signed Matrix Reloaded booklet by composer Don Davis absolutely free. Supplies are limited, and, as always, you are NOT guaranteed a signed booklet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23342&page=1

over 150 min. of music. Juno reactor tracks remastered by LLL.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...811896989894.125641.1651608932&type=1&theater

1077123_49311011692997tka4.jpg

Looking forward to "reloading" this august. :)

Suspected release date: August 27th.

I love Don Davis' work on the sequels so this is very exciting for me!

There are bootleg recording sessions available online, but it's always good to have an official release. Hopefully it sells well enough for Revolutions to follow!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Burly Brawl is corny but the Chateau fight and the freeway ones were cool.Listened to them almost daily in middle school.

Really feel like these soundtracks never got their just due. I like the fact that The Matrix never really had some overarching theme or used a ton of motifs. I think some are turned off by this fact however.

I think that the little "high/low" theme at the beginning of the movies (And found a couple of times in a few other places) is brilliant.

Hoping that Reloaded continues to gain respect as the years go by. It never deserved to be thrown in with Revolutions, even if they were filmed at the same time.

Edit : Not sure why I didn't bring this up first but, I actually have a bootleg "Complete Score" of all the films. They are wonderful.

Really feel like these soundtracks never got their just due. I like the fact that The Matrix never really had some overarching theme or used a ton of motifs. I think some are turned off by this fact however.

I think that the little "high/low" theme at the beginning of the movies (And found a couple of times in a few other places) is brilliant.

Hoping that Reloaded continues to gain respect as the years go by. It never deserved to be thrown in with Revolutions, even if they were filmed at the same time.

Edit : Not sure why I didn't bring this up first but, I actually have a bootleg "Complete Score" of all the films. They are wonderful.

what I find hilarious is that the only way they could sell Revolutions on disc was by bundling it with Reloaded. I really like reloaded as well, and think it's almost on par with the first. Revolutions' poor finish discolors reloaded if you know what I mean.

Had some of my favourite music in an action movie. I could listen to the freeway track all day, which is probably what I did around that time.

Funnily enough I've seen Pakistani and some Arab news channels use the music for their headlines.

Daft_Cat

All three movies are on par with each other. The sequels are misunderstood. *runs and hides*. Also, I've noticed a lot of people my age (early to mid 20's) like the sequels a whole lot more than the generation before us.

Can't wait for this release!

Tokubetsu

All three movies are on par with each other. The sequels are misunderstood. *runs and hides*. Also, I've noticed a lot of people my age (early to mid 20's) like the sequels a whole lot more than the generation before us.

I'm with you brother. The only thing I would change about these movies is
I think Trinity's death scene goes on for too long in Revolution.

Interesting stuff.

Soundtracks need to stop leaving shit out. Nothing worse than buying one, only to find that the really cool piece of music you wanted wasn't included.

If I buy a soundtrack, it's because I want the full soundtrack. Not a partial soundtrack.

I really wish Rob Dougan would go back to music, Furious Angels was a masterpiece :(

Whatever happened to him? Man is a genius

Interesting stuff.

Soundtracks need to stop leaving shit out. Nothing worse than buying one, only to find that the really cool piece of music you wanted wasn't included.

If I buy a soundtrack, it's because I want the full soundtrack. Not a partial soundtrack.

The original Matrix was the worst, literally no songs from the movie, just the ones that play during credits :(

From my point of view I hope they both gain respect. I even prefer Revolutions over Reloaded, but in any case they are of about the same quality.

what I find hilarious is that the only way they could sell Revolutions on disc was by bundling it with Reloaded. I really like reloaded as well, and think it's almost on par with the first. Revolutions' poor finish discolors reloaded if you know what I mean.

Uh, what are you talking about??

I agree the sequels are "misunderstood" and I definitely have noticed that as time goes by people don't bash them as much as they used to (on the other hand I haven't noticed a similar trend with eg the Star Wars prequels, or Batman 3 & 4, or Superman 3 & 4 or whatever other sequels of films were legitimately terrible). But on par with the first movie? Not quite.

I really wish Rob Dougan would go back to music, Furious Angels was a masterpiece :(

Here's a fun interview with him about Reloaded. http://uk.ign.com/articles/2003/05/23/rob-dougan-interview?page=2

IGN Music: You mentioned that you'd never scored music to images before writing "Chateau." So did they send you a clip of the fight scene and then did you just hole yourself up in the studio and write the piece?

Rob Dougan: Well I sat at home just on a laptop. I wrote the whole piece on a laptop. And I didn't have any means to sync the picture with the music, so with my foot I'd press play on the DVD and with my hand I'd press play on the computer [laughs]. So you can see by that, that I was not really the most advanced sort of technician in that respect.

IGN Music: That's easily one of the best fight sequences in the film.

Rob Dougan: Yeah. I mean I thought they could have turned the music up, but I really enjoyed it. I saw the film, as I said, and I actually really like it. I actually really enjoyed it. I'd read some reviews [slagging the film], but I actually really liked it. It's quite mind-blowing, the whole world of The Matrix, that whole idea that all of life is an artificial construct and you're not really alive. And I think sometimes the media, with advertising and, what do they call it? Spin. Everything's being spun these days. A new artist is being marketed, a new war happens, a new product comes out and everything is kind of spun. And it's very easy to start to feel like you exist purely to fund massive corporation.

Also his encounter with the Wachowskis:

IGN Music: How do you cope with that, the fact that they're bringing you in to work on their vision. Sure, "Chateau" is your musical vision, but it's influenced by their vision, I mean it was a piece for hire as opposed to a piece you wrote for yourself.

Rob Dougan: Well that was really interesting because when I walked into the first meeting about that particular track they said 'We want you to work with these people and do it this way' and I said 'Well, I don't want to do that.' [laughs] And it was real loggerheads in the sense that they said 'It's our film and you're gonna do what we say', you know? And they said 'Is that clear?' It was really two sort of stubborn sides bashing heads. I said 'Okay, fine, I'll do what you say,' thinking 'Christ, the bastards have got me out in LA and now I'm stuck.' In the end I did actually do it the way I wanted to, but I really respected the fact that they're tough guys in the sense that they know what they want and they're kind of brutal, they'll get it.

LOL

jb1234

It's good music and the original release criminally short changed the score. Looking forward to having it all out there officially.

legacyzero

Banned
TAKE MY MONEY. Ill buy anything Matrix!

Hey Wachowski's! Stop fucking around and revisit the franchise please!

Full length live action telling of 'The Second Renaissance' is preferable.

The only way I could purchase Revolutions Blu-Ray at a Best Buy was by purchasing a combo pack. I was going to purchase all three movies again on Blu-ray, and just found it humorous that the double pack was the only offering available.

Ok, but that's just Best Buy, Warner has made them available separately.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003M8NGM6/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MEJX0Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Or combo: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054509I4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also to be fair it's your understanding that the 3rd movie wouldn't sell on its own so they packed it with Reloaded. The packaging doesn't indicate a free copy of Reloaded is provided as bonus :p

Have you thought that maybe you couldn't purchase Revolutions because it had sold out? :p

jb1234

Well, that high/low theme is probably the closest thing to an overarching theme the series has, right? That and the crescendo.

I mean, most pieces had that DNA.

There's a love theme too and a few other recurring ideas but yeah, the cascading brass motif is definitely the main building block of the scores.

J10

Banned

I remember reading about how he nearly bankrupted himself trying to produce that album because no labels wanted to pay for the orchestra. He produced a few pop songs after that, but I think the whole experience ruined music for him, the way he wanted to make it.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

Even animated, that part of Animatrix was terrifying, haunting, depressing. If actual people were involved
and having one of the female androids' clothes ripped off and beaten up on the streets
, I'd have nightmares.

TAKE MY MONEY. Ill buy anything Matrix!

Hey Wachowski's! Stop fucking around and revisit the franchise please!

They are pretty anti-sequel (unless they have a reason to exist) and definitely anti-reboot, so I think they're done with The Matrix (as far as live action films are concerned anyway). They have bashed the Twilight, Bond, Hobbit, Spider-Man, Batman films.. No wonder nothing ever comes out of rumors like this: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Justice-League-Director-Shortlist-Also-Includes-Wachowskis-32652.html

http://www.cinemateaser.com/2013/07...ykwer-lana-et-andy-wachowski-pour-cloud-atlas
http://www.tagesspiegel.de/kultur/d...aum-deinen-stamm-deine-spezies/7370754-4.html
http://www.morgenpost.de/kultur/ber...rum-Tom-Tykwer-sich-an-Cloud-Atlas-wagte.html

You already talked about this in an article in the New Yorker, in which you said that cinema should not be run like the stock market ...

LW: Yes, today, movies are reduced to simple products. Everyone wonders how such a project cost, how it reported in its first weekend. This is a negation of art, soul. If we made this analogy with the stock market, this is because studios are now run by huge corporations. They make decisions based on that economic models. That is why we only see JAMES BOND 12, TWILIGHT 19, THE HOBBIT 6 or SPIDER-MAN 24 ...

AW: Reboot!

LW: Rebooted, yes! All because the public and majors prefer products without originality.

Let this optimism even in the face of the risk of "Cloud Atlas" exercise? The opening weekend in the U.S. this 100-million-dollar independent film has recorded less than ten million dollars. Does that make you nervous?

ALL THREE: The film is the reward.

LANA W.: Of course we want our investors to pay back the money, otherwise there is a day at the movies, only the 27 "Twilight" series and the 99th Bond film. Sartre has said all materialist philosophies reduce art to the object-like. Exactly happens when you "Cloud Atlas" is measured at the box office. How it works oppression, the market will fix it: It reduces people to numbers and balances. But the art is beyond the question of whether one can do with their money. Of "Moby Dick" was initially only 100 copies have sold. But what a force is Melville's novel, with its montage of various narrative forms, mixed with historical and philosophical digressions psychological and obsessive! Without "Moby Dick" there would not be Joyce's "Ulysses", the whole post-modern literature, not even "Cloud Atlas". It's pathetic to evaluate the "Moby Dick" on its initial run.

Tykwer: See, now it has Lana carried away again.

Lana Wachowski: Exactly. Here you find all classes and races, all take to this place and make it theirs. You find no longer in Manhattan and certainly not in Los Angeles. Hollywood is something we are never interested in all three.

Andy Wachowski: In Hollywood products are made. Not more. And repeating the same products. Exactly which they believe that the public wants it. How boring.

Lana Wachowski: James Bond is such an example. Always the same, with minor changes. And if even a few more changes to come, all the talk already of restart. Oh look, the new Q, how funny!

Morgenpost Online: You can not gossip about the new Q yet. Ben Whishaw, who plays him, but is also one of your main characters!

Tom Tykwer: Oh, his Q is good. And we love Ben.

Lana Wachowski: But it's just the eternal recurrence of the same thing. Take the "Twilight" series. Now comes another "The Hobbit" after the "Lord of the Rings." Batman, Spiderman ... In all this, it's all about products, not about content or even visions.

Morgenpost Online: And you will now continue making movies together?

Andy Wachowski: We very much hope.

Lana Wachowski: we are made ​​for it.

Tom Tykwer: We must unravel even better with the credit for the only.

legacyzero

Banned
HOLY FUCKING SHIT

Even animated, that part of Animatrix was terrifying, haunting, depressing. If actual people were involved
and having one of the female androids' clothes ripped off and beaten up on the streets
, I'd have nightmares.
The Second Renaissance was very moving. Very disturbing.

tumblr_mavhq02OZZ1ralggio1_500.gif

tumblr_md2fn7TEqh1r27kz7o1_400.gif

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Can we get a Blu-ray release of The Matrix with the original color timing? I don't really wan the adjusted version that upped the green tint to fit more with the sequels.

Can we get a Blu-ray release of The Matrix with the original color timing? I don't really wan the adjusted version that upped the green tint to fit more with the sequels.

No chance. But on originaltrilogy.com people are restoring the original color timing so look for a fanmade release at some point.

The original looks yellow and brown, way worse than the new timing to me. But that's just my opinion.

The Second Renaissance was very moving. Very disturbing.

tumblr_mavhq02OZZ1ralggio1_500.gif

tumblr_md2fn7TEqh1r27kz7o1_400.gif

For the imagery I would give credit to the Japanese director dude. I wonder has he made any other anime that as just as powerful?

An interview with him:

MATRIX: There were some wonderful details in the episodes that weren’t in the script. Could you elaborate on some of the touches you brought to the story?

MAEDA-SAN: I wanted to show the broadness of the society, and how the robots were such a part of the background of life that they were treated as mere objects by human beings. I wanted to emphasize that element in the opening by starting out with a broad establishing shot, and then pulling in close on the robot.

MATRIX: There’s a shot in Part One of SECOND RENAISSANCE where the robot is getting shot, which is taken from a famous photo of a student being executed; how did that develop?

MAEDA-SAN: In exploring the history of the Matrix I wanted to show the audience how badly the robots were being treated. The images we see of the robots being abused are buried in the Archives. There are many examples of mankind’s cruelty in the past, and to imitate an example from real life seemed like a good idea.

MATRIX: How did some of the other references come about?

MAEDA-SAN: For the scene where the robot is crashed by the tank, I referred to the Tiananmen Square incident in China, and what happened between the Chinese army and people. The other scene, where the bulldozer buries the crashed robots, I referred to what happened in Auschwitz.

MATRIX: Was it your intention to find a connection with actual history?

MAEDA-SAN: I felt it would play as ironic that the same things kept repeating throughout history. And remember, the robots didn’t intend to kill humanity. They were trying to build a good relationship with the human race, but what happens is that humans take revenge on the robots. So in the world of The Matrix, human beings are kept alive by the robots, as the robots pull energy out of them. It’s the opposite of Utopia for the humans. I wanted audiences to enjoy the visually ironic scenes as an example of how everything was complexly intertwined. It’s possible some audiences might get frustrated by watching those cruel scenes, but I hoped it would be a good opportunity for viewers to reflect and consider what being normal means, and whether this behavior is normal or not.

Ruze789

This is awesome news!! I remember how pissed I was that I never had the chance to buy that score, I loved a lot of the music in it.

And I second all the comments about Rob D, I was always waiting to buy a new Rob D album that just never seemed to come. I thought at one point a new one was in the works, and then... nothing.

Coming August 27! Includes interviews with Don Davis and Ben Watkins (Juno Reactor)!

THE MATRIX RELOADED EXPANDED ARCHIVAL EDITION– 2 DISC SET
MUSIC BY DON DAVIS
LLLCD 1263
RETAIL RICE: $29.98

PRODUCED BY DON DAVIS, NEIL S. BULK AND DAN GOLDWASSER
MASTERED BY MIKE MATESSINO
LINER NOTES BY TIM GREIVING
ART DIRECTION BY DAN GOLDWASSER

Continuing the 90th Anniversary celebration with Warner Bros. Pictures, La-La Records and Warner Bros Records are honored to announce this newly expanded and completely remastered 2 cd set of Don Davis’ incredible score to the 2003 smash hit film THE MATRIX RELOADED. Co-produced and supervised by the composer, this high octane, expanded epic release features 150 minutes of the best sci fi action music of the past decade. Detailed liner notes by Tim Greiving take the listener inside the musical world of THE MATRIX with exclusive interviews with composer Don Davis and co-composer (on some tracks) Ben Watkins (aka JUNO REACTOR).

PLEASE NOTE: Two tracks as they appear in the final film, (DOUBLE TROUBLE and FREE FLIGHT), are not included on this release due to licensing restrictions. HOWEVER, we have included ALL of Don Davis’ music that recorded for the film, including the unused tracks for DOUBLE TROUBLE and FREE FLIGHT, as well as a few other tracks that ended up on the cutting room floor, replaced by the electronica tracks in the final film.

The first 100 or so customers who purchase the cd directly though the La-La Land website – www.lalalandrecords.com – will receive a signed Matrix Reloaded booklet by composer Don Davis absolutely free. Supplies are limited, and, as always, you are NOT guaranteed a signed booklet.

JB1981

No chance. But on originaltrilogy.com people are restoring the original color timing so look for a fanmade release at some point.

The original looks yellow and brown, way worse than the new timing to me. But that's just my opinion.

The Ultraviolet HD version is the old color timing and I have to agree. The new green tint looks better.

The Ultraviolet HD version is the old color timing and I have to agree. The new green tint looks better.

WOW, really? That makes no sense to me, why they would use the old master. Even Path of Neo, the 2005 video game, used the new master, LOL.

The new version has some minor issues with contrast etc but overall the color timing is better. People often complain "it's too green", but (in the following images ignore all but the BD and DVD ones);

Oh look, the original color timing is EVEN greener at times:

And the Construct is not even 100% white like it should be, it's grey:

I do understand preferring the original color timing because hey, everyone has a different preference, but pretending it didn't have its own problems (see the Construct), or that it wasn't even more green / blue at time than the new one, or that it was consistent and followed a logic (the Matrix randomly has a greenish, or brownish, or yellowish tint.. why?).. come on. Is the new one flawed? Maybe, but less than the original was.

Anyone has a link for this, cant find it on their site

I can't either.

In the meantime here is the track list:

DISC 1
1. Main Title/Trinity vs. Car (3:24)
2. Enter the Neb* (1:11)
3. Smith at the Door* (4:17)
4. Furious Angels [perf. Rob Dougan] (5:33)
5. Smith vs. Smith*/Free Flight** (3:40)
6. The Wonder of Zion*/The Lascivious Lift*/Link and Zee* (4:37)
7. Morpheus on the Mount*/Zion Drum Source* (2:50)
8. Zion [perf. Fluke] (4:35)
9. Goodnight Zion*/The Bane Transformation* (2:42)
10. Bane Voyage* (2:58)
11. First, I Must Apologize* (1:12)
12. Teahouse [perf. Juno Reactor feat. Gocoo] (1:07)
13. The Industrial Highway* (1:16)
14. Oracle Oratory* (2:05)
15. The Purpose That Created Us* (2:59)
16. Burly Brawl* [Juno Reactor vs. Don Davis] (5:53)
17. Council of Cool*/Meeting the Merovingian* (3:48)
18. Choice Is an Illusion* (2:42)
19. Sample This* (3:54)
20. Meet the Keymaker*/Some Skill* (1:33)
21. Chateau [perf. Rob Dougan] (3:26)
22. Double Trouble** (2:22)
23. Mona Lisa Overdrive [perf. Juno Reactor vs. Don Davis] (10:16)
DISC TIME: 78:17

DISC 2
1. Truck vs. Truck*/The Plan*/Final Flight of the Vigilant* (11:36)
2. Kill the Keymaker*/Doddering Old Fool* (6:07)
3. The Problem Is Choice*/Window Switch*/Neo Miraculous*/No More Nebuchadnezzer*/Conclusion Confusion* (13:33)

BONUS TRACKS
4. Niaiserie* [perf. Kerry Walsh] (6:05)
5. Burly Brawl* (alternate) (5:58)
6. Chateau Swashbuckling* (alternate) (3:49)
7. The Plan* (with synth) (4:18)
8. Niaiserie* (instrumental) (6:01)

9. Matrix Reloaded Suite (17:41)
DISC TIME: 75:08
TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 153:25

*previously unreleased
**contains material not used in film

With bold are the tracks not found in the bootleg release.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Site's down right now. It says it's going up in approx 8 minutes and orders will be live.

I'm tempted... but not 100% sold...

Tokubetsu

Super fast shipping! I got the standard usps shipping but it was sitting in my mail box from yesterday I think?

iS20nmoA0UxK8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom