• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New JL Trailer is Everything Wrong With DC's Dark Movie Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Men get really angry abut this DC vs Marvel stuff.

It doesn't matter, guys. None of this matters.

5d5485b45a07331e391907a0e8e6d082.jpg

LosDaddie

Banned
I used to think Hillary and the GSW took the biggest Ls of 2016, but the more I think about it, the DC diehards deserve to be in that category.

They waited 3yrs after MoS to get a new movie. 3yrs of nothing but anger and jealousy as they watched Marvel collect Ws. I mean, Marvel was out here making C-listers like GotG (with a talking tree and raccoon) a household name and almost a $750M franchise, while they waited.

After 3yrs of waiting, BvS was supposed to be the movie they could thump their chest over.

What's amzing LionPride is that out of every article you could have posted talking about the trailer, this is the one you picked. There's another shitty article on Polygon, how you post that one too.

Your bias is always showing.
Your ad hominem is showing, that's for sure.

LionPride

Banned
What's amzing LionPride is that out of every article you could have posted talking about the trailer, this is the one you picked. There's another shitty article on Polygon, how you post that one too.

Your bias is always showing.
Fool I got it sent to me and decided to post.

You big mad or little mad?

JZA

I was a bit discouraged when the CG backgrounds in the trailer instantly made me think of Sucker Punch.

Veelk

Banned
Fool I got it sent to me and decided to post.

You big mad or little mad?

I don't mind you posting one way or another, but like I said in my first post, I wish it was original.

The article is just listing the same things everyone has said a thousand times over. Not enough color, not fun, dark and bleak, blah blah blah.

Find an article that says something new about the DC universe, and then I'll be super impressed.

It could be argued that aiming your films at a demographic prone to nutting in their pants at the slightest provocation is part of the problem.
Something it took Marvel a few slight duds (IM2, Thor the darkening) to get that it's not always just about the jokes and the money shot.

DOWN

Banned
Can't a man just unabashedly love to desaturate and blue the shit out of everything?

1604_6.jpg

1604_18.jpg

9032_18.jpg

9032_32.jpg

13824_10.jpg

13824_13.jpg

4447_3.jpg

4447_5.jpg

giphy.gif
Watchmen is beautiful if you can get over the difference in colors compared to the comics

And frankly there's a lot of incredible serious movies that have dark desaturated blues

Honestly Zack Snyder's visuals aren't an inherent problem and it seems like many people take issue with what in particular about the visuals clashes with their idea of the comics

whew I always like Nolan's tendency for that desturated blue world with splashes of candle warmth
the-dark-knight-trailer-screencap-the-dark-knight-2759662-1280-544.jpg

LionPride

Banned
I don't mind you posting one way or another, but like I said in my first post, I wish it was original.

The article is just listing the same things everyone has said a thousand times over. Not enough color, not fun, dark and bleak, blah blah blah.

Find an article that says something new about the DC universe, and then I'll be super impressed.
I don't search for these articles or even go to sites that post about em except GAF because it really doesn't matter to me.

inm8num2

Hey DC,
GY1ixDh.gif

I don't understand the "Nolan's movies were dark" consensus that floats around the web. His Batman movies were serious and grounded in the modern world, but I never considered them dark in terms of story, tone, or visuals. For example, regarding visuals scenes that take place at night in TDKT are still well lit, because they're mostly shot in real locations.

Here's a screencap from TDKR.
Here's the same shot, Snyderized.

Snyder's movies depends much more heavily on CGI, and it's possible that the darker palette is intended to be more accommodating of that. I'm no expert but lighting always seems to be the toughest part of making CGI feel real, and by going "dark" you're essentially blurring the line between real and CGI. However, I watched that JL trailer multiple times, and on every viewing some of those nighttime shots just looked worse and worse. The CGI is by no means done, but the color palette and overall aesthetic is much to indulgent and unrestrained. Of course, it's a matter of personal tastes.

Gleethor

Civil War's big scene was an overcast day at the airport, and its climax was set in a dim bunker in Siberia. Very tired of these "I alone have nailed down the one thing holding DC back!" thinkpieces.

Men get really angry about this DC vs Marvel stuff.

It doesn't matter, guys. None of this matters.

What, you don't like going to any slightly negative Marvel thread to see "but DC!" or any slightly negative DC thread to see "but Marvel!"?

Because DC Studios is a thing, apparently, and DC Studios and Marvel Studios are the only two studios releasing movies. A whopping six movies released this year. Feel that fatigue.

It'd be interesting to read a story about how aspects of the trailers and marketing change until release. For instance, that the JL trailer is actually older and less complete than other marketing material shown. Trailer is from early December.

Kin5290

The Justice League's outfits are pretty bad. Would it have killed them to add some green or orange to Aquaman's outfit? And Cyborg looks awful, but there's no reason why they couldn't have used the visually interesting white plating he has in the comics and animation.

Ahasverus

What the fuck is "big mad" or "little mad"?
"Does your provoked discomfort please me or does it please me greatly"?
The Justice League's outfits are pretty bad. Would it have killed them to add some green or orange to Aquaman's outfit? And Cyborg looks awful, but there's no reason why they couldn't have used the visually interesting white plating he has in the comics and animation.
It's green + gold, looks ok!

Why do they need to do what the MCU is already doing? Why do people want MORE of the same? Why is it so bad to have different options? We already have 15(?) MCU movies with more on the way. What's so terrible about a handful of comic book movies that do something different?

Because comic books are all about being bright and colorful. Desaturating all of the color seems to be missing the point. Especially the fuckin Justice League of America.

Some faithfulness to the source material would be appreciated.

Saturnman

Banned
The article is junk.

If there are any problems with DC movies, it's mostly script/editing related so far IMHO. Of course, you have to see the movie to make that call, you can't go by trailers alone. The whole "darkness" angle seems completely subjective to me and it is a lazy way to put down a movie long before it's even out.

tomtom94

Civil War's big scene was an overcast day at the airport, and its climax was set in a dim bunker in Siberia. Very tired of these "I alone have nailed down the one thing holding DC back!" thinkpieces.

Why is it that every time the discussion turns to "bu-bu-but Marvel!" rather than defending the DCEU on its own merits?

I don't know OP.

Aquaman:

"Dress as a bat, I dig it."

and

"Yayuh!"

So not so grim-dark.

Because comic books are all about being bright and colorful. Desaturating all of the color seems to be missing the point. Especially the fuckin Justice League of America.

Some faithfulness to the source material would be appreciated.

Not faithfulness. Respect.

Senoculum

The new Spider-Man looks like complete ass.

And Justice League is gonna be dope. Are people gonna complain about the new Blade Runner being too blue? Give me a fucking break lmao.

Mask

DC literally just needed to make all its directors watch the animated Justice League and JL Unlimited, and BTAS for the batman standalone film. Tell them to not directly copy it, but to at least take some lessons from its light hearted episodes and inject that into the films.

If they could have nailed the general feel and the serious moments, it would have been pretty great I think.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I watched Kong last weekend. I....I might have liked Godzilla 2014 a little better.

Still, I just want a modern Kong vs Godzilla movie.

Yup, I liked Gozilla 2014 better and that had its own problems.

Hopefully they have big improvements for Gozilla 2018. I really hope that turns out great.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What a load of horse shit.

Honestly, Zack: Would it kill you to turn on a light sometimes?
What an awful complaint. The movie looks fucking stunning. BvS despite its problems looked amazing and should've been nominated for best cinematography. Man Of Steel had multiple action scenes including the finale set during the day. The grey cloudy look at the end of the fight is the result of the destruction from the world engine. Nearly all of BvS's scenes were set at night because nearly all of the action scenes in the movie were Batman fighting things and Batman doesnt usually fight during the day.

Regardless, Zach Snyder has made three very comic book looking movies and is going all out this time around in terms of style and color pallet. it looks like a comic book. it moves like a comic book panel. very hyperrealistic and stylized. you cannot look at the gifs below and say it's desaturated. the colors are very vivid despite being set at night. it looks stunning. Homecoming wishes it looked this good. Oh and King Kong's cinematographer was Larry Fong who also happened to be the Director of Photography on BvS.

SitQEoL.gif

Sx6QqXK.gif

vlnrQNK.gif

shingi70

Banned
I used to think Hillary and the GSW took the biggest Ls of 2016, but the more I think about it, the DC diehards deserve to be in that category.

They waited 3yrs after MoS to get a new movie. 3yrs of nothing but anger and jealousy as they watched Marvel collect Ws. I mean, Marvel was out here making C-listers like GotG (with a talking tree and raccoon) a household name and almost a $750M franchise, while they waited.

After 3yrs of waiting, BvS was supposed to be the movie they could thump their chest over.

Honestly just ha I g this sort of through process irconicly lumps you in with the the DC diehards.

It's just comics and movies folks.

So Spiderman or MCU are automatically considered a better movie because it has colors...? ok.

What movies are considered visually better then MOS or BVS anyways? Funny thing is TWS is my favorite MCU movie they toned down the color a lot compared to Avengers. Guess I'm in the minority who prefer the dark look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom