• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new king of wireless controllers

Agent X

Judging from what IGN had to say in this review, there just might be a new leader in the realm of wireless video game controllers.

3491.gif

belgurdo

Banned
I don't like the Xbox version too much...trying to play fighting games with it is hard since you have to hit the buttons harder than normal for them to register, and on other games the analogue is too loose at the corners, but the PS2 version is perfect.

shpankey

not an idiot
I also bought the Xbox version and *HATED* it (and yes it was the version 2). I took that piece of shit back. Nintendo is the only ones who done it right with the Wavebird. That is an awesome piece of wireless technology. Everything else I've tried so far is shit. Although to be fair, I haven't tried Logitech's PS2 version... I would hope it's better than the crappy Xbox version though.

belgurdo

Banned
shpankey said:
I also bought the Xbox version and *HATED* it (and yes it was the version 2). I took that piece of shit back.

You having the same problems? And yeah, the PS2 version is like using the official controller.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Been keeping my eye on this for awhile now. I am definately snagging one next time I am at the store.

The problem with all wireless controllers, save the Wavebird, is that they are all third party. This means that all the usual third party pitfalls apply:

The buttons might have different tension.
The sticks are going to feel different.
The D-Pad is never going to match the PS2, and will likely suck in other cases.

I never buy third party controllers anymore, save for arcade sticks, because I've had too many bad experiences: Thus I only have the Wavebird.

Pimpbaa

Why would the xbox version be so much different from the ps2 one? I figured they would be basically the same. Guess not :(

shpankey

not an idiot
Pimpbaa said:
Why would the xbox version be so much different from the ps2 one? I figured they would be basically the same. Guess not :(

My biggest problems...

1. Felt NOTHING like either official Xbox controller. And therefore...
2. Was VERY uncomfortable. The thing was just not comfortable to hold.
3. Analog sticks SUCKED ASS. They had absolutely no tension, and for some really stupid reason, they made them domed. Why they would take away the single greatest thing about the Xbox controller (concaved analog sticks) is beyond me.
4. This was a biggie for me. You know how the Wavebird receiver is this nice little compact box thing that snugs right up the the GameCube? Well, this piece of shit has a sort of long wire with a big ass receiver that hangs out from the front of your Xbox. Looks sloppy as hell.
5. The triggers sucked because they had a shorter throw to them and were at an odd angle. I don't know why they changed the angle of the triggers, it makes no sense.
6. I had some serious issues with buttons not responding and a few times I noticed a perceptable lag with the left analog stick. I dunno why.

It's almost like Logitech set down and said... ok, how can we make the Xbox controller a piece of shit? One of the biggest problems is they basically morphed a PS2 controller with an Xbox controller... to where it ended up as something in the middle, and not as good as either of them.

I wish Microsoft would make an official wireless controller; especially one that didn't hang out of the front of your Xbox 3 feet. I want something just like the Wavebirds receiver, that just plugs right into the Xbox small, tight and snuggly.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I am absolutely repulsed by any controller that is not first party. always have been and probably always will be.

shpankey

not an idiot
catfish said:
I am absolutely repulsed by any controller that is not first party. always have been and probably always will be.

You are very wise. I cannot emphasize this enough... stay away from the Logitech Xbox Wireless controller. Far far faaaar way.

I really dig the Logitech Xbox wireless controller. Hated the first version of the PS2 one, although I can't wait to snag this new version with a REAL D-pad and analog sticks.

Mashing

Umm, isn't the Wavebird $40 too? I bought one when they first game out so I don't remember exactly.

Anyway, I really have to question both Microsoft and Sony for not even attempting to make a wireless controller for their system. I'm expecting the Revolution to be completely wireless... an awesome prospect to be sure.

Kudie

Well, maybe the next generation of systems will come with wireless controllers as standard.

I'm sure Nintendo would do this since they already have the wavebird.

I truly hope this is the case because wires are such a hassle to take care of after you're don with the game and also affect your freedom when playing.

crumbs

I really like the new logitech ps2 wireless. No real complaints. Haven't tried the new Xbox version, although I have the old Xbox wireless, which is above average, but not great.

Rolio

version 2 xbox wireless is pretty darn good if you ask me..sticks feel fine, i like the triggers, face buttons are a bit more responsive than the first version

one thing tho, the right trigger is SUPER sensitive, but i think it might just be my copy

and about the ps2 vers. 2, if you were spoiled by the wavebird but hated the d-pad in version 1 logitech, you must buy the new one

it has passed the disgaea test, so it's good for any rpg, and after using it i can't imagine using the dual shock 2 for any game other than madden or tony hawk

BUY DEM BOTH!!

Rolio

GOTO walmart, esp. since they cost $10 less than the retail price

i really can't recommend xbox as well as ps2 vers. 2 enough, since i've played a ton of my xbox collection and i'm loving the controller more and more

today i used both my ps2 and xbox pads and remarked how i've really gotten to love the smaller, more compact feel of the version 2's

i used to love xbox vers. 1, but bought vers. 2 bc i hoped it would fix the d-pad problems i had with the previous version (ie on splinter cell i would push up and left or right would register, same with other directions)
vers. 2 d-pad is awesome, but the compact feel is great

long story short, after vers. 2 i couldn't stand to touch the $70 vers. 1

buy dem, by decry of NO DIGGITY.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I still can't find the damn thing *anywhere* in Canada. Can anyone of you guys who had tried the PS2 version tel me how does rumble function work compared to DS2? Or better say, how does it feel? Has anyone played something that makes crazy use of the rumble? Something like Rez, MGS2 or SH3?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
shpankey said:
My biggest problems...

1. Felt NOTHING like either official Xbox controller. And therefore...
2. Was VERY uncomfortable. The thing was just not comfortable to hold.
3. Analog sticks SUCKED ASS. They had absolutely no tension, and for some really stupid reason, they made them domed. Why they would take away the single greatest thing about the Xbox controller (concaved analog sticks) is beyond me.
4. This was a biggie for me. You know how the Wavebird receiver is this nice little compact box thing that snugs right up the the GameCube? Well, this piece of shit has a sort of long wire with a big ass receiver that hangs out from the front of your Xbox. Looks sloppy as hell.
5. The triggers sucked because they had a shorter throw to them and were at an odd angle. I don't know why they changed the angle of the triggers, it makes no sense.
6. I had some serious issues with buttons not responding and a few times I noticed a perceptable lag with the left analog stick. I dunno why.

Its moments like this when I get down on my knees and thank the mix of genes I received from my parents that I didn't end up this anal. With the exception of #6, of course, which is a pretty objective complaint. But that's not even listed as the "biggie" :p

Ristamar

catfish said:

Same here. Well, except for the SNES ASCII pad. I really liked that one for some reason. Of course, the lack of analog sticks back then helped considering that's the piece I generally dislike the most on 3rd party controllers.

CS1563_LG.jpg

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Mashing said:
Umm, isn't the Wavebird $40 too? I bought one when they first game out so I don't remember exactly.

Anyway, I really have to question both Microsoft and Sony for not even attempting to make a wireless controller for their system. I'm expecting the Revolution to be completely wireless... an awesome prospect to be sure.

i got mine for 24.99 at best buy .. i guess it was a promotion .

belgurdo

Banned
As a matter of fact, since I'm not using it much, does anyone want mine? You might get more out of it than I will. IM me if you do and we can negotiate.

Gattsu25

Banned
my biggest reason to not consider that is acually the D-Pad

i know most people HATE the ps2 dpad but i personally find it excellent for arcadestick-less fighting games

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i really like the ps2 version...it feels very similar to the dual shock. haven't tested the d-pad out with a fighting game, but i generally use joysticks there anyway.

belgurdo

Banned
drohne said:
i really like the ps2 version...it feels very similar to the dual shock. haven't tested the d-pad out with a fighting game, but i generally use joysticks there anyway.

I tried it with Guilty Gear XX, and I was doing off the ground combos without even thinking. Couldn't say the same for the Xbox pad, where trying to do launcher combos in MVC2 took more effort than usual because the buttons don't register consecutively if you press them too fast.

shpankey

not an idiot
kaching said:
Its moments like this when I get down on my knees and thank the mix of genes I received from my parents that I didn't end up this anal. With the exception of #6, of course, which is a pretty objective complaint. But that's not even listed as the "biggie" :p

Are you serious? If you like the controller, that's all you had to say. You don't have to be an asshole to someone who lists what they didn't like about it.

I hate when people, when they don't like or agree with your opinion, try to cut the person down instead of their complaints in order to justify to themselves why they like something.

:rolleyes

Don't take my complaints about a controller personal. When I dislike something you like, I am not disliking you. Geez. As far as my list of complaints about it, I wholeheartedly stand by them. Hey, it's what I think about it... though, it's just one mans opinion.

And, if you don't like hearing opinions about things, perhaps you shouldn't be at a gaming forum, it's one of the things we do here.

Zeenbor

You guys should realize that this is a new model. My roommate has the older PS2 wireless model and it REALLY, REALLY sucks ass.

But this new model is so much different. They had these at Square's booth at E3 and they were simply delicious to hold in your hand. Everything felt right. I'm sure as hell getting 2 whenever they come out.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the new model is out. got mine at best buy several weeks ago.

and it's a shame that the xbox pads have issues. was going to pick up one of those as well.

I have version 1 and 2 for XBOX, and the new one for PS2, and I love them all. The only problem with both XBOX ones are you need to make sure you really press the buttons for some games.

For example, when I playe rallisport, I need to press the buttons pretty hard to navigate the menus. However, when I play CMR04, I hardly need to press at all. The pressure sensitivity face buttons are (imo) pretty pointless in the first place, and Logitech's controllers haven't quite figured it out. Other than that, I'm comfortable with both XBOX wireless controllers, and prefer both to the first party ones. I think the joysticks are much better than the Type S XBOX pad, and prefer the dome shape to the concave. The new XBOX wireless feels as close to a DS2 for the XBOX you're going to get.

The PS2 one is pretty much awesome. My only complaint is once again with the pressure sensitive face buttons, only the opposite applies. Just tapping the face buttons activates the "I just pressed really hard" action. You have to press extremely soft if you don't want it to respond with full pressure. For this reason, I can't use it for Socom II, but I can (and do) for pretty much everything else.

And for the record, the D-pad on the new wireless controllers is top notch. Best 3rd party d-pad in a long time.

So to wrap it up, I don't agree with many of SH's points, except maybe #6, and I feel most players can work around that (I've never run into this problem during gameplay, only during menus where apparently they want me to press full pressure...)

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
LittleTokyo said:
The PS2 one is pretty much awesome. My only complaint is once again with the pressure sensitive face buttons, only the opposite applies. Just tapping the face buttons activates the "I just pressed really hard" action. You have to press extremely soft if you don't want it to respond with full pressure. For this reason, I can't use it for Socom II, but I can (and do) for pretty much everything else.

And for the record, the D-pad on the new wireless controllers is top notch. Best 3rd party d-pad in a long time.
Ya, damn the extreme sensitivity on the analog pressure buttons for Socom II. I also have that Airstyle controller(Very good but again is too sensitive for the Triangle button as my characters keeps diving). Plus I have had occasions of dropouts for the Airstyle when playing some games like Outbreak.

I just returned the new xbox logitech back to walmart after 2 days of use. That damn controller just plain HURT my hands after a mere 10 minutes of use. I was so disappointed. :( I really want an equivalent to wavebird for my xbox and ps2. While I was there, I picked up the Pelican Spirit Wireless for Xbox, and it is far closer in feel to the controller s than the Logitech. I think its worth the 30 bucks. Sadly though, it suffers the same problem as the logitech where you have to pound the face buttons to get them to register. It served me pretty well through the last 4-5 hours of Riddick, so I'm gonna keep it.

Please tell me the Logitech PS2 wireless is comfortable and doesn't cramp (hurt) your hands? I'll get it so long as its not painful.

belgurdo

Banned
PanopticBlue said:
I just returned the new xbox logitech back to walmart after 2 days of use. That damn controller just plain HURT my hands after a mere 10 minutes of use. I was so disappointed. :( I really want an equivalent to wavebird for my xbox and ps2. While I was there, I picked up the Pelican Spirit Wireless for Xbox, and it is far closer in feel to the controller s than the Logitech. I think its worth the 30 bucks. Sadly though, it suffers the same problem as the logitech where you have to pound the face buttons to get them to register. It served me pretty well through the last 4-5 hours of Riddick, so I'm gonna keep it.

Please tell me the Logitech PS2 wireless is comfortable and doesn't cramp (hurt) your hands? I'll get it so long as its not painful.

The PS2 controller is slightly smaller and the handles are less round (i.e., like a thick knife handle) than the factory controller, which to me feels more or less like using a DC or Xbox pad (my favorite pads.) Very comfortable, although I don't like the touch of the plastic (it's "coarse" compared to the oily smoothness of the factory pad, but this might help you grip it better.)

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Is my Wal-Mart the only one in existence still selling both versions for $39.94? I went up and had them check the price and everything.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
shpankey said:
Are you serious? If you like the controller, that's all you had to say. You don't have to be an asshole to someone who lists what they didn't like about it.

I hate when people, when they don't like or agree with your opinion, try to cut the person down instead of their complaints in order to justify to themselves why they like something.
I don't own either the Xbox or PS2 version of this new design that Logitech has released so my comment has nothing to do with a defense of these controllers based on using and liking either of them. It was simply a natural reaction to reading the extreme way in which you reacted to minor details. It wasn't the complaints so much as it was the very subjective nature of the complaints. Since I'm really disagreeing about how you form an opinion rather than specifically what your opinion is, I couldn't have responded much differently, other than to perhaps be a little more polite about it next time...shall we say you're "extremely picky" rather than "anal"? :)

Damn. I was looking forward to picking up a wireless Xbox controller. These negative opinions have swayed my decision quite a bit... Are there any other decent wireless controllers for Xbox on the market? Oh and these logitec wireless have rumble right?

Top Bottom