• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The People Vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story - S1 - FX Tues - 90 on Metacritic

glow

Banned
That goodnight scene at Marcia's hotel room door.... so heavy. One of the realest scenes in the show so far imo. Chin up, Darden.
I bet in real life they got animal and fucked all night

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Damn Darden...

Feel terrible for the guy. I think he's made accusations against Cochran that he had tampered with the gloves, but I'm not sure how that would even be possible.

Another fantastic episode

The Beard

Damn Darden...

Feel terrible for the guy. I think he's made accusations against Cochran that he had tampered with the gloves, but I'm not sure how that would even be possible.

Another fantastic episode

Cochran didn't have to tamper with the gloves. After leather gloves get wet and then dry, they shrink and get stiff. I've seen it with my own golf gloves. When they're new, they slip right on with ease. After you sweat in them for 4-5 hours, put them away, try them on a week or two later, they're tight as fuck. They do loosen back up after about 20-30 min though.

Cochran didn't have to tamper with the gloves. After leather gloves get wet and then dry, they shrink and get stiff. I've seen it with my own golf gloves. When they're new, they slip right on with ease. After you sweat in them for 4-5 hours, put them away, try them on a week or two later, they're tight as fuck. They do loosen back up after about 20-30 min though.

Also, he's wearing a glove while trying to put on another glove, and maybe I'm mistaken, but wasn't there some conjecture that OJ stopped taking some arthritic medicine which caused his hands to swell slightly?

GorillaJu

Also, he's wearing a glove while trying to put on another glove, and maybe I'm mistaken, but wasn't there some conjecture that OJ stopped taking some arthritic medicine which caused his hands to swell slightly?

Those are the major sticking points. But as Marcia Clark says in the show, you never give him the chance to put it on himself, it's begging for a disaster. I mean the man is in jail now anyway but had they been allowed to put the glove on him, the new identical pair without the latex underneath, he'd probably have been brought to justice.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What was the deal with Shapiro just walking up and shoving his hands into the evidence gloves. Did he actually do that?

Was him saying hello to the bailiff supposed to imply that he was doing it on the sly? Because it looked like the room was still pretty full when he did it.
I didn't take it that way at all. He was trying to be friendly to a law enforcement official he knew to try and stay on good terms, hence him wearing the pin, and he also had nothing better to do since he is outide of Cochran's inner circle, so he went to look at the glove and put it on and a lightbulb went off over his head.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Another great episode
can't believe that shapiro just went over to the evidence and just tried them on

I didn't take it that way at all. He was trying to be friendly to a law enforcement official he knew to try and stay on good terms, hence him wearing the pin, and he also had nothing better to do since he is outide of Cochran's inner circle, so he went to look at the glove and put it on and a lightbulb went off over his head.

Saw an interview with Cochran this morning where he says both he and Shapiro both tried on the gloves during a break, so I guess there was no issue..

Am I the only one who thought that if Marcia heard what Bailey said to Chris and what happened in the sidebar, she would have been able to stop Chris from playing himself?

RangerBAD

What gets me more is how the DNA evidence doesn't clinch the case for the prosecution. I guess in the mid-90s the layman didn't understand it much.

GavinGT

Banned
Am I the only one who thought that if Marcia heard what Bailey said to Chris and what happened in the sidebar, she would have been able to stop Chris from playing himself?

In real life, Marcia and Chris were in agreement on having OJ try on the gloves. It was Ito who decided that OJ would try on the real, blood-soaked gloves as opposed to a fresh pair.

Curufinwe

Those are the major sticking points. But as Marcia Clark says in the show, you never give him the chance to put it on himself, it's begging for a disaster. I mean the man is in jail now anyway but had they been allowed to put the glove on him, the new identical pair without the latex underneath, he'd probably have been brought to justice.

I don't think so. The jury did not believe in the blood evidence.

What gets me more is how the DNA evidence doesn't clinch the case for the prosecution. I guess in the mid-90s the layman didn't understand it much.

It's not that they didn't understand it; it's that they couldn't trust how it got there. That was the whole issue.

Toothless

Caught up on the show with Xfinity. Damn, it's really fantastic. Episode 5 and 6 are the best so far, and I'm convinced they both clench Emmys for both Vance and Paulson. Not that that matters because they're both doing some of the best acting work I've seen on TV period. It's just crazy enjoyable, especially not knowing anything about the show.

The sequence where Marcia changes her hair in episode 6 is just perfect and heartbreaking in every way.

AlphaDump

Gold Member

Hah, it really is like Travolta was re-assembled before each of his scenes.

Also really pissed about some of the story choices. The romantic angle is unneccessary. Some of the court room scenes are impossible to confirm. Like the lead up to the glove defense. So many red flags.

I dont know why they cant just tell the story as it was. It would be really cool if they spliced in and out with real courtroom footage.

B.K.

What did the note at the end say? Between my crappy eyes and upscaled SD picture, I couldn't make it out.

BFIB

What did the note at the end say? Between my crappy eyes and upscaled SD picture, I couldn't make it out.

KMrWp.gif

Dr.Acula

Banned
God, I can't believe this craziness. Like I said upthread, there were so many bizarre details I've forgotten about.

The jury shows up wearing all black?

And like I said upthread, if this weren't a true story I would accuse the writers of being hacks. Truth is stranger than fiction indeed.

And I looked it up, this is true, when the jury walked in wearing all black, "Fight the Power" was blaring full blast in the courtroom.

Sober

Oh man the DNA thing was so hard to watch. Imagine if it happened like 10 or so years ago when CSI was all the damn rage.

edit: also goddamn at that "technically not rape" line, jeeeeesus

GavinGT

Banned
And I looked it up, this is true, when the jury walked in wearing all black, "Fight the Power" was blaring full blast in the courtroom.

That's actually because Radio Raheem just got his new batteries and he accidentally wandered into the courtroom that day.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
^ Shudder. It was only a matter of time before the Dancing Itos popped up.

Whoa, Barry Scheck, the attorney seen destroying Fung's DNA testimony in this trial, along with another member of the defense (not represented on the show) were the founders of the Innocence Project a couple years prior to this.

GavinGT

Banned
I liked the bit where all the black jurors wanted to watch Martin and the white ones wanted to watch Seinfeld. Then we cut to OJ and he's talking about how much he loves Kramer.

I feel like they are taking it easy on Judge Ito. It's, like, they aren't putting into direct, or at least explicit, context for his constant postponements and punting that made the trial slog on into months and months and months. I mean, it's there, but considering how obvious a lot of other things in the show, this seems tame and subdued.

I liked the bit where all the black jurors wanted to watch Martin and the white ones wanted to watch Seinfeld. Then we cut to OJ and he's talking about how much he loves Kramer.

Marcia really should've mentioned that OJ loved watching Seinfeld to the jury

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have no idea what Ross is.

Also the jury meltdowns... I guess that will happen if you're stuck there for almost a year.

GavinGT

Banned
I have no idea what Ross is.

Also the jury meltdowns... I guess that will happen if you're stuck there for almost a year.

They sell stuff that the other clothing stores have unloaded, for whatever reason. So maybe there's an imperfection or they just ordered too much so they sell their stock to Ross.

Top Bottom