• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 officially crosses the 2 Million unit mark in Japan

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Animated GIF

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
PS4 hit 2.35m after 2 years in Japan.

Failing to see that. Why would it be twice as successful as the PS4? Maybe you could add 0.4m or so, but I doubt it’d be more.
theres no covid when PS4 launch.

nah thats way too low. Covid hits hard, if there isnt covid, maybe not 4 mil but definitely not 0.4m LOL

Last edited:

splattered

If there was no covid people in japan would have been out and about more regardless of system availability... they just don't play console games as much anymore. Sure, they would have sold more if there was better stock, but by how much?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PlayStation 5 – 1'749'737
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 278'046
Total = 2'027'783

Man, that $399 edition was just made to get those $399 headlines wasnt it? I always knew it was going to be undershipped but by 9:1? WTF?
They probably lose money on it, since it's the same spec minus the $15-20 drive.

If the rumors are true about the revision with optional drive, it was be all digital by default. By then manufacturing/shipping (weight) costs will be lower as well.

Last edited:
Total = 2'027'783

Man, that $399 edition was just made to get those $399 headlines wasnt it? I always knew it was going to be undershipped but by 9:1? WTF?

If it were, it wouldn’t be mass produced in a place like Japan. Physical is still really popular there and retailers want the business badly.

Banjo64

cumsessed

nah thats way too low. Covid hits hard, if there isnt covid, maybe not 4 mil but definitely not 0.4m LOL
There’s a fine line with demand.

The initial surge has now ended in countries like the UK, where stock is now sitting in place.

It’s pretty much on even keel with the PS4, maybe slightly ahead launch aligned.

If Sony is going to sell every single PS5 built, they have an incentive to prioritize producing the most expensive one because it means more money. Once demand becomes lower than supply (whenever that is) I would imagine the ratio would start trending more balanced.

reksveks

Total = 2'027'783

maybe

back to OP, whats the aligned differences, does anyone know?

reksveks

They probably lose money on it, since it's the same spec minus the $15-20 drive.

If the rumors are true about the revision with optional drive, it was be all digital by default. By then manufacturing/shipping (weight) costs will be lower as well.
my issue is aligning the two, the BOM isn't going to be changing a huge amount and imo, neither is the shipping costs. might be off on that assumption though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
my issue is aligning the two, the BOM isn't going to be changing a huge amount and imo, neither is the shipping costs. might be off on that assumption though.
Smaller form factor (if they indeed go that route) is more units on a pallet. The units should also be lighter with the smaller apu/heatsink, etc..

Over time, consoles have always reduced in BOM/shipping costs due to these very changes.

vivftp

There’s a fine line with demand.

The initial surge has now ended in countries like the UK, where stock is now sitting in place.

It’s pretty much on even keel with the PS4, maybe slightly ahead launch aligned.

The PS5 was planned to sell at a faster pace than the PS4 before the console launched. They managed to hit 10 million faster than the PS4, but component shortages kneecapped them and the PS5 currently is behind the PS4 launch aligned. Sony has said they expect the PS5 sales curve to surpass the PS4 sales curve during the next FY (April 1 2023 to March 31 2024). Going by that statement, Sony would have to ship over 23 million PS5's next FY to achieve that goal. According to Tom Henderson, they're aiming for 30.5 million PS5's next FY. Either figure would be a new record for PlayStation consoles in a single FY.

2023's shaping up to be a huge year for PlayStation and it looks like they're aiming to flood the market with games and consoles. Even PSVR2 is said to be shipping far more units than PSVR did when launch aligned.

almost everyone at an exec level at SIE has been in Japan for the past week, probably ramping for next year.

I mentioned this in a previous thread, but I wonder if Sony is ramping up for a "relaunch" so to speak in Japan once the Final Fantasy games start hitting. In the next 6 months they should have the stock situation in a much better place, so maybe they will do some type of marketing blowout in Japan to say "hey Japan we still exist and there are Japanese games coming and even better you can actually buy a PS5 in a store now."

SSfox

Can be better but still that's not too awful, and the japanese big hitters still yet to come.

Last edited:
I mentioned this in a previous thread, but I wonder if Sony is ramping up for a "relaunch" so to speak in Japan once the Final Fantasy games start hitting. In the next 6 months they should have the stock situation in a much better place, so maybe they will do some type of marketing blowout in Japan to say "hey Japan we still exist and there are Japanese games coming and even better you can actually buy a PS5 in a store now."

They actually actively have them in stock in japan right now…im guessing there is going to be a big marketing campaign again like you said for stuff like final fantasy xvi, rebirth, street fighter and tekken, and eventually monster hunter and DQXII

Rise of The Ronin seems perfectly timed also

vivftp

I don't think this gonna be a Japan only thing, but a global push. Due to pandemic delays they've been more or less coasting on games that were announced back in 2020 with God of War being the last first party title in that list. There's very little officially known about their future first party games with a few exceptions and they've been purposefully holding back a showcase to give us the next wave of games that they want to market. Not to mention they still have to get the PSVR2 launch date/price out there to open pre-orders. Combine that with the metric fuckton of consoles rumored to be available next year, and it feels like they could draw a line in the sand to begin their post-pandemic re-launch.

I do firmly believe that 2023 has a lot potential to rival 2020 in terms of the sheer amount of first party and console exclusive titles they could put out there.

reksveks

Smaller form factor (if they indeed go that route) is more units on a pallet. The units should also be lighter with the smaller apu/heatsink, etc..

Over time, consoles have always reduced in BOM/shipping costs due to these very changes.
Think size is the bigger issue for these kind of shipments but again could be wrong. The size is going to be the bigger thing, it would be interesting to see the price point that they can hit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Think size is the bigger issue for these kind of shipments but again could be wrong. The size is going to be the bigger thing, it would be interesting to see the price point that they can hit.
From what I understand, overseas shipping is based on pallet size and weight of the pallet. If they shrink the console down, lighten it, etc., like all past consoles, that is more consoles on a pallet per weight ratio. More money in the end per unit for similar or not much more shipping costs.

Last edited:
Switch existed for a long time now, and its a very old hardware. Alot of people have switch now, and who said they cant have both Playstation and switch?

Guess we shall see the next few years how Playstation sells in Japan.
When the ps4 dropped the wii u was the hardware nintendo put out. Since then the switch dropped, dominated the country and occupied the entire mind space, that naturally will have an impact on sales. People can have both but competition rarely benefits the previous market leader.

Same ol G

Those are some shitty numbers.
For comparison, Switch did this in less than a year.
Wii u also took less than 2 years, the fucking Wii u.
I don't know in which universe these numbers are somewhat impressive, this is just bad.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member

Covid probably didn't make that much of a difference in Japan. You would expect people to buy more of them if they had to stay home all the time. The difference between PS4 and PS5 is likely Switch more than Covid. Their weekly game charts are mostly Switch games.

When the ps4 dropped the wii u was the hardware nintendo put out. Since then the switch dropped, dominated the country and occupied the entire mind space, that naturally will have an impact on sales. People can have both but competition rarely benefits the previous market leader.

Nintendo will need to keep that momentum launching their next hardware soon, while the ps5 stock increases and more big japanese games start coming out. The next 4 years are not certain as to what will happen.

Covid probably didn't make that much of a difference in Japan. You would expect people to buy more of them if they had to stay home all the time. The difference between PS4 and PS5 is likely Switch more than Covid. Their weekly game charts are mostly Switch games.

Japan has been on a lottery system since launch and has had high scalping to other regions. The demand isn’t really close to being met there

Last edited:
Further indication that Covid isn't the reason why fewer PS5's have been sold in Japan than PS4 in the same timeframe.

What do you mean, its all directly related to low stock caused by covid. None of the above are still happening otherwise

Last edited:
The biggest question is how many games are sold on it?The Japanese rarely buy games even the big name studios even the Japanese ones famous games are sold very low compared to the hardware base.I remember on PS4 with a hardware base very high probably over 10 million Resident Evil sold between 500.000 - 1 million or so western games sell even less a few 100.000.

Top Bottom