• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PSP Appreciation and Collecting Thread

Jucksalbe

Banned
Here's two pictures of my backlog collection. I'd like to have more of the STG collections, but other than that I'm pretty satisfied with it.

2ee9W4t.png

ZwA2QLZ.png

Sorted alphabetically for your viewing pleasure.

meppi

These days you don't have to downgrade, though. Just install a file from the memory card.
But if you aren't interested, then OK. :)

Guess I'm way out of the loop when it comes to CFW. Back then it was a horror story of getting the thing to work and not brick your system.
Might have to take another look at it since I read about being able to play Progear on it, even though I normally hate this kinda thing.

Edit: 15 minutes later: OMG! Thank you! :D

iB4IArZkozr1I.jpg

Here's two pictures of my backlog collection. I'd like to have more of the STG collections, but other than that I'm pretty satisfied with it.

That's a thing of beauty right there! :)

And very useful to see what I still want to pick up.
Added Popolocrois and Tokobot to my list.

Most underrated system ever? Maybe. Imported a US one at launch and never looked back. The post-Monster Hunter years were incredible, where (in Japan anyway) there was a steady stream of stuff big and small, as well as the quirky Japan-only games.

Just a brief look at my collection and it's hard to find any genre under represented. Nothing but love for the PSP!

Accoun

What was the difference between standard and the collector's edition GT?

NAPK1NS

Wow some of you guys have huge collections!

I'm almost positive the PSP came out on March 24th about a month before my birthday. I dropped a word at my mom absentmindedly about how I had one pre-ordered but could never afford it. I forgot I mentioned it.

Come launch day and she disappears for a few hours. Which is unusual for her. When her car rolls back up I peek out the window. She walks in with a huge EB Games bag and I start shitting myself.

We didn't have a lot money but she went all out for my birthday. She got me Lumines, Twisted Metal, Untold Legends, Tony Hawk and a badass carrying case. It was the best day ever man.

psp-go-white-image.jpg

I really love this damn thing to death... yes, it sucks it doesn't play UMD games... and many of the great ones never got released on the digital store... but the form factor, and the ability to plug it into a dock which is connected to my TV and play with a DS3 controller was a great way to use the system at home.

I'd still buy a Vita TV for $99 just to play my PSP games on my TV in full screen ratio... that was the one and only thing that truly sucked about the PSP.

(I own 3 PSPs. The 1000 in which the UMD drive died... the 2000 to play UMDs again, and the pspGO for the DS3 support.)

That white PSO Go is just gorgeous. The black is nice but there's just something about the white one that is just another level. (inb4 someone brings up the White PSP ad up).

Wow some of you guys have huge collections!

I'm almost positive the PSP came out on March 24th about a month before my birthday. I dropped a word at my mom absentmindedly about how I had one pre-ordered but could never afford it. I forgot I mentioned it.

Come launch day and she disappears for a few hours. Which is unusual for her. When her car rolls back up I peek out the window. She walks in with a huge EB Games bag and I start shitting myself.

We didn't have a lot money but she went all out for my birthday. She got me Lumines, Twisted Metal, Untold Legends, Tony Hawk and a badass carrying case. It was the best day ever man.

Mine was a 21st birthday present from my parents too :) Came out in the US a week or so after it. Ridge Racer and Metal Gear Acid were my launch games IIRC.

Jucksalbe

Banned
What was the difference between standard and the collector's edition GT?

From the back of the box:

Collector's Edition featuring:

• Bugatti Veyron car in collector's colour
  • 5 limited edition Bugatti Veyron art cards

Plus it comes in an extra cardboard sleeve.
So nothing fancy, I think it was the same price as the normal edition anyway.

Inotti

It really makes me sad that so many good psp games are not available in PSN. I would love to play those games on my Vita! :( Square-Enix I'm looking at you...

Having previously had a 2000 this thread has piqued my interest. I can get a deal on a new US Final Fantasy Crisis Core PSP Slim. I know it doesn't have same collector's appeal of the Japanese one - but does anyone have one/have any opinions on it? I think the console itself is the same with the logos on each side at the back, and you get a standard copy of Crisis Core.

Also interested what thoughts are on micro-sd adaptors instead of more expensive memory sticks.

So I got a PSP Go with the intent of using the MP3 player, PS1 games and whatever I can get off PSN (well until I find a system that can use UMDs). A few small problems with the MP3 playing:
-The volume buttons seem rather small (I'm used to the large slider on the 3DS XL) and will be hard to use inside my pocket
-I could not find an appropriate case. I assume at this point I am best buying some sort of generic case and modifying it by cutting holes for headphone and volume access. Any pointers on what to start with?

I've played a few PS1 games I ripped and converted myself. Man getting CFW to cooperate was not fun. Especially since one of the popular CFW releases does not work with PS1 games at all.

I assume with CFW I can bypass the PSN problems the PSP has (only logged into one account at once). I've not been able to connect it to the web yet to try this aspect out.

Accoun

Also interested what thoughts are on micro-sd adaptors instead of more expensive memory sticks.

I have no idea about these single-card ones since I never used them, but there are ones that fit 2 microSD cards and supposedly original Photofast adapters are good, but haven't heard of any others that are actually good as well. Also, I think there might be fakes, too(?) - but I don't remember that ATM.

Having previously had a 2000 this thread has piqued my interest. I can get a deal on a new US Final Fantasy Crisis Core PSP Slim. I know it doesn't have same collector's appeal of the Japanese one - but does anyone have one/have any opinions on it? I think the console itself is the same with the logos on each side at the back, and you get a standard copy of Crisis Core.

You know, I'm a huge PSP fan from day one, and I'm a massive FF fan, and I think I can say without fear of contradiction, there was no such thing as a US FF Crisis Core PSP - certainly nothing with a graphic on it, maybe a bundle but I doubt even that...

Remember, if you get the Japanese one, the X and O buttons are reversed...

You know, I'm a huge PSP fan from day one, and I'm a massive FF fan, and I think I can say without fear of contradiction, there was no such thing as a US FF Crisis Core PSP - certainly nothing with a graphic on it, maybe a bundle but I doubt even that...

It was also released in Europe and Australia, but you're right - not in the US.

I got a PSP for MH back in the day :p Crisis Core is probably my favorite game on the system. Also the best
Probably

Having done a bit more research I think I'm re-importing a European one from the US. It is definitely not the Japanese one. Thank you for your correction. When it arrives I'll post a photo or something (if anyone gives a shit).

Macstorm

These are some older, crappier pics before I moved, so forgive that. I love my PSP. These are all my RPGs and then some.

Ne7eFMg.jpg

And here are my PSPs along with all my other handhelds.

eyNG7Aw.jpg

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I need to get another PSP just to keep since its a mechanical device eventually the drive or lense will wear out. Granted I have 2, still a brand new one on the side while its still affordable would be appreciated.

I fucked up with the PS2 when it was still affordable, wont do the same with the PSP.

Nice to see a thread like this great job OP!

All of my stuff are in random places in the apartment so cant really do any cool photos like the rest of you guys. D: A lot of it being boxed up too.

Damned fine collection there!

mao2

I didn't get a PSP until last year. I still need to pick up a few games. Mainly Lunar, and the 2 Star Ocean games.
Get Brave Story too if you can still find it. It's a really nice little RPG with almost ZERO loading times!

SubtleTea

PSP Go is so good.

If only Sony had the hindsight to have made PSN more of a thing up front.

AKA I can't play Ark of Napishtim or Birth by Sleep on the thing.

Or imports, but eh, that's another story.

For PSP OG, I rock the Hanna Montanna PSP, which is pure sex.

You can always hack the GO, and burn the games onto it using your OG psp (assuming you own said games).

I remember Mario Kart DS being the first online DS game in Nov 2005. I also had a PSP at the time but I can't remember playing anything online with it until Resistance Retribution (I think).

SOCOM Fireteam Bravo was released in Nov 2005 and it was HUGE on-line for a long, long time... I must've put 200-300 hours into that game on-line; for months it pretty much monopolized my gaming time... I'm pretty sure that it was the first PSP game with a significant, well-used infrastructure mode...

Picked these up for $4.50 each at EB Games today... got a free camera with the Invisimals games, too... They're games 381-388 in the UMD collection (sry for the shitty phone pic)

94vumkw.jpg

Just got my PSP-2000 video out cable... Damn is it disappointing. Got it for LP use for my channel so I can expand out the video in post, but trying it out for the first time on TV was disappointing... especially since there are options to view XMB full screen (and videos, and PS1 games... oddly you can't unstretch PS1 games).

vocab

Starting to play my psp more. The disc reading is so loud.

I originally thought my psp was broken when I was playing ys7. I was getting crazy frame drops, and thought it was the system. I guess it was the game. I beat ys1 last night.

I don't have much psp games. I do want a few more but some of them are pretty pricey in physical form.

daydream

Banned

I played a LOT of Killzone: Liberation's online MP. So much that I ended up being number 6 or something (definitely top 10) on the global leaderboard when I stopped.

Man, what a fantastic multiplayer, and it wasn't even in there when the game came out. They patched it in afterwards. I don't even know when the servers went down (must have been 2012). Anyway, I was sad when I found out.

Great system, though.

Posting collection pics, huh? I can dig it.

SHpGPDk.jpg

My only regret with the PSP is that I have the stupid Darth Vader one. I bought it for super cheap but it still looks dumb as all hell.

One day I'd like to go back and flesh out my collection a little more, especially with regards to the RPGs. Damn the PSP had a lot of RPGs.

you can just buy a battery cover.

i think the stamina battery comes with a white one

I've considered that but I think I want a new one anyway. The charging port on mine is really finnicky and the slightest movement will make it stop charging. Makes things difficult, sometimes.

My collection.

I'm expecting to add a few more games to it in the near future. Mostly shooters that were only released in Japan, like Salamander Portable and Dariusburst.

oLwHlFi.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've actually been thinking about picking up a Go and putting my ripped games on it. Seems like the best option, cheaper than buying another Vita and it should be better than a replacement PSP 2000/3000.

How is the screen on the Go? I think I've read it's the best PSP screen?

Oh, you even got the European Elminage release, nice.

Yup! :) Put in an order at the Ghostlight store in the first few minutes the game went up for sale, so I got an early production number too.

I think I got most of the PSP Ghostlight games now. *checks their site* They released 3 more games apparently: International Athletics, World of Pool and Spinout.

Top Bottom