• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Real Reason Music is Getting Worse

AJUMP23

What makes music less valuable and why does modern music seem so unappealing. I haven't purposefully found any new artist or new music in years. I rarely listen to my radio for music.

I do have an excellent home audio system designed for music. But the most recent music I put on there is probably early 2000s.

Do you agree with the points in this video, disagree have your own thoughts, or is this just old men yelling at clouds.

KIDS THESE DAY!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I love modern music. You just need to find artists that make music you will like. Oh, and be open to new music in general.

Edit: I’ve got 19 albums on my list that released this year so far that I enjoy. Only one of them is a reissue from 25 years ago.

Hot Water Music’s Vows is my fav of the bunch thus far.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I listen to a lot of new music and new artists, but most of it is not mainstream or plays on the radio. It's more difficult though to find the good shit, just as difficult as it is to find a new good movie or book or a game. Because the market is constantly flooded by new stuff, and much of it, unfortunately, isn't very good.

AJUMP23

I love modern music. You just need to find artists that make music you will like. Oh, and be open to new music in general.

Edit: I’ve got 19 albums on my list that released this year so far that I enjoy. Only one of them is a reissue from 25 years ago.

And I agree there are probably bands out there that make stuff that are in the vein of what I enjoy. I just don't go looking for them.

If you ask to your parents and grandparents they will say the same thing 🤣 oldies (40s 50s 60s) better then modern music (70s 80s 90s)

I do think music in the 60s and 70s is pretty amazing, but I tend to like 80s music the most.

I don't like this guy, and he gets my inner ageist going, so I will be quiet.

Beyond that, we are going through a music phase close to the Disco phase, and the 80s Power Pop, Arena sized anthems phase.

A lot of what you hear in popular music, will be influenced by Trap or Hip Hop, in some way or another.

And just like during the time of Disco, in the "bottom" there was more interesting and new music being made, of different genres. Or higher quality Disco music being made.

Meaning, if you want to find music that makes you feel anything, that connects with you, you need to search for it. This is not a "modern" thing. It has ALWAYS been like this.

You need to pay attention to music reviewers, not their ratings exactly, but who they are talking about.
You need to pay attention to word of mouth in communities circled around music you tend to like.
Is there a band or artist making music you like today? See if you can find the people that influenced them.

Not a modern example, but I found out about Husker Du, while watching a video with the bass player of Dinosaur Jr.
I liked the bass sound he was trying to replicate in a song, and I was like "man, I want more of that", so I went to Husker Du, listened to all of their albums.
You can also see who else was inspired by Husker Du.

If you are a music fan, you NEED to put in some effort.

I certainly understand that a casual music listener would have the opinion that music today sucks.
But it is due to their lack of interest in digging in for it.

A next phase will come in the coming years. And just like this one, music that you like, will be there for you to find it.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Graphic description

wp5176774.jpg

😎👍🏻
vs

Peso_Pluma_cantante-1478868674.jpg

🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢

Last edited:

IAmRei

I guess im quite lucky,, i reach concious in end of 80s, and early 90s, and i got the music revival by new retro waves, and also japanese city pops. There are new guys who make these two and feels like old days. I often find newer songs each few weeks or months to pick up with (still quite hidden or niche from normies)

I remember on my school bus rides in the 90s there being so many songs where I was like ughhh could they please stop playing this already

I go back and listen to it now and I'm like

I can't believe I lived at a time when I could actually get sick of hearing this

killatopak

Gold Member
Maybe it’s just the pop songs? I’m not entirely familiar with modern pop nowadays. I just surf spotify and find whatever based on my own preferences.

March Climber

Gold Member
And I agree there are probably bands out there that make stuff that are in the vein of what I enjoy. I just don't go looking for them.
You shouldn't have to. Go to any streaming service, go to one of your favorite songs, artists, or albums and click on the 'radio' option. Newer songs of similar music will be mixed in with your classics.

There's also an app that does custom radio feature this extremely well that many people forgot about, called Pandora.

pandora-logo-2022-iphone-b-billboard-1260.jpg

AJUMP23

You shouldn't have to. Go to any streaming service, go to one of your favorite songs, artists, or albums and click on the 'radio' option. Newer songs of similar music will be mixed in with your classics.

There's also an app that does custom radio feature this extremely well that many people forgot about, called Pandora.

pandora-logo-2022-iphone-b-billboard-1260.jpg

I did use Pandora about 20 years ago.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I don't like this guy, and he gets my inner ageist going, so I will be quiet.
I'll bite. What is your problem with Beato?

I don't think he's wrong. Modern pop is in a dire situation right. Yes, there is great new music, but you have to know how to find it. You can't turn on KROQ or something and find a cool new band. Instead you have to dive through the depths of spotify or soundcloud or something. Mainstream popular music has become a corporate hellscape, as much as any form of entertainment.

streaming site random discovery are also largely trash. I get locked into the same like 20 songs.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Music's in a fantastic place. The problems people in non-music-centric-circles (i.e. here) have usually revolve around the following:

- I only listen to rock music and there isn't much of it these days
- I outright refuse entire genres because of preconceived notions (usually hip-hop)
- I don't actively search out music I might actually like
- I hear terrible modern music and assume that's what 90% of it is
- I expect modern artists to be doing things as groundbreaking as those literally 50 years ago
- I lean way too hard on nostalgia for things I loved when I was significantly younger and more impressionable

If you can get yourself past these silly mental barriers, there's a real big world of modern music out there for you. It's not even been a particularly strong year for me and I still have at least half a dozen albums I keep sticking on.

Sushi_Combo

There's a shit load of amazing music out there that I would have never discovered without the magic of the music Algorithm (Deezer) .
It's doing well overall imo, I just steer away from the hits LOL.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Music's in a fantastic place. The problems people in non-music-centric-circles (i.e. here) have usually revolve around the following:

- I only listen to rock music and there isn't much of it these days
- I outright refuse entire genres because of preconceived notions (usually hip-hop)
- I don't actively search out music I might actually like
- I hear terrible modern music and assume that's what 90% of it is
- I expect modern artists to be doing things as groundbreaking as those literally 50 years ago
- I lean way too hard on nostalgia for things I loved when I was significantly younger and more impressionable

If you can get yourself past these silly mental barriers, there's a real big world of modern music out there for you. It's not even been a particularly strong year for me and I still have at least half a dozen albums I keep sticking on.

I was one of those people until a few years ago. Now I actually listen to more music. Country, hip hop, rock, pop, fusion... It's all good to me.

I like Megan Thee Stallion, Janelle Monae, H.E.R., Bruno Mars, Jidenna, the Shape of You guy (I'm horrible with some names), Mickey Guyton, something Latham (I forgot his first name), Jelly Roll, etc.

There's good, even great, music out there. You just have to be open and not prejudicial to new stuff.

Go_Ly_Dow

I was watching this earlier and its a take on why Hollywood and movies are awful now and is unlikely to improve anytime soon. But I think his arguments can probably hold true for other creative industries too like music.

In a nutshell the creators we have now have no idea what made works from decades past so good in the first place. The authenticity and sophistication that came from limitation has left the building.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
There are good new bands but, for me, the sheer weight of rap nonsense domination and "pop" female singers that all sound the same with autotuned monotonous voices, no melody, no synths, it mostly sucks (though to be fair I'm a metal head so these genres were never my favorite). But even rock/metal these days seems overly produced, its always mental health junk in the lyrics, vocalists all sound the same, no range. Go back to the 70s-80's and vocalists had melody, high notes, bands harmonized, the music was either about getting girls, having fun, or just wacky stuff, not "my life is pain...hur hur hur...pain is my life" stuff.

These days I don't think the talent forms garage bands and works up from clubs. Talent goes to youtube directly, they become influencers, it ain't in the music industry. There is no risk taking, only a few pipelines control all the readily accessible stuff, movie soundtracks are no longer the springboard for fresh talent, there is no "southern california sound" or "Seattle sound" as the whole thing has become homogenized.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
There's a lot of good music being created nowadays. It's also easier than ever to listen to all the older music you could ever want.

Something for everyone.

Trilobit

Gold Member

There are excellent new artists in each decade. You might need to be more attuned to the indie scene in different countries. I have zero interest in radio pop or the big stars from USA. I've also found some great, but less famous artists by watching Twin Peaks: The Return.

Rick Beato is the shit. Maybe I can phrase what he's saying into something you troglodytes can parse.

Modern streaming music is kinda like the endless piles of shit on GamePass and all the Steam sale games we buy for a buck then never want to play.

Back in the day it felt like you could cover all the bases between MTV, VH1, Local Rock/Pop radio station, and local Hard Rock Metal station.

Now YouTube is ass trying to recommend me something new. Example: Listening to Ottis Redding songs and then YouTube recommending Taylor Swift or Ariana Grande..??!!!..WTF 😂

Haven’t used Spotify or Pandora in years so maybe they’ve improved in recommendations. It does feel ALOT harder to find something I can connect with in the Rock/Soul/SynthWave sounds.

Winter John

Jesus Christ. It's obvious no one in this thread actually bothered to watch the video before rushing in with their hot takes. He's not talking about bands. He's talking about recording technique, the proliferation of cheap music software and the effect streaming services have had on diluting the value of music.

AJUMP23

Jesus Christ. It's obvious no one in this thread actually bothered to watch the video before rushing in with their hot takes. He's not talking about bands. He's talking about recording technique, the proliferation of cheap music software and the effect streaming services have had on diluting the value of music.
I watched it before I posted. I thought it made interesting points and would be worth a conversation.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Been watching this guy's videos for awhile. He is very level headed from what I've seen. He doesn't use jump cuts and meme jokes every few seconds, so I can understand why it's hard for some people to get through his videos. The worst thing I can say about him is that his titles are pretty click-baity. He doesn't hate all new music and explains why he doesn't like a certain songs.

Last edited:

Winter John

I watched it before I posted. I thought it made interesting points and would be worth a conversation.
He makes some good points. I don't think cheap software plugins are a bad thing. The whole point of punk was that it made creating music accessible to anyone. Software does the same thing. There's a whole bunch of electronic artists and rappers who wouldn't have gotten anywhere if Ableton hadn't existed. I agree with him that there's a whole bunch of artists who sound similar because they're all using the same techniques. If you look around though there's people out there doing all kinds of interesting stuff.
His story about the days when he'd go down to the record store was cool. I did the same. The thing is there ain't that many record stores around these days so kids really don't have that option. If they wanna hear new music they're mostly limited to streaming services or they can go see a gig if they're lucky enough to have the cash for it.

Toons

Yep. Any "all modern _______ sucks" people just don't listen to much else or put no effort into finding anything else.

Theres plenty out there to enjoy; fantastic stuff every single year.

Can't tell you when last i listened to the radio. Must be a few years now. I just can't stomach all of the latest stuff.

I find myself appreciating the older stuff a lot more these days and also different genres of music. Yes I like some country music too lol

Getting old lol

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I sadly think that Rick Beato is correct in multiple points that he's making here, I suspect he's preaching to the choir and really there's nothing to be done. We're not going to return to a pre streaming world and music isn't going to regain it's value.

I do kinda wonder if really being into music is an older concept now.

Top Bottom