• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The theme song to Chrono Trigger is sort of interesting at a theory level.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I recently started learning the theme song to Chrono Trigger. The title theme is written in G Major, which is a fairly triumphant sort of key. One of the most common keys, it is used in like anthems and stuff. Anyway, the basic chord progression is Am7, Fm7,Fmaj7, Em7.

In that key, that gives it a ii-vii-VII-vi progression. I'm not the most well versed in music, but that's the first time I've seen that particular progression. It gives the song a sort of melancholy sort of tone, which I guess works for the game.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Don't think those are G major chords, looks more like A minor with a vi chord and a VI chord. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
The basics aren't too hard. Every Good Boy Does Fine / Good Boys Deserve Fine Ass

Rran

Couple of corrections--the song's intro is actually Am7-F#m7-Fmaj7-Em7. And I don't think it's in the key of G major but its minor equivalent, E minor. ...I think? It is a pretty unusual structure for sure; I hardly ever hear the Am7-F#m7 interval in music.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Oh thank God, I was totally expecting a troll thread with some WTF wall of text.

Yasunori Mitsuda was on fucking fire in the period between CT and Xenosaga Ep. 1. My musical ear is terrible, but anyone can tell he went above and beyond your average game music back then.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I'm not a fan of CT overall, but it's undeniable that the game has a God-tier OST.
And yeah, the main theme is one of my favorite tracks of all time.

Top Bottom